Straka Contracting LLC

Founded 2002 • With Angi since October 2012

I started Straka Contracting over a decade ago in Howard County after having gained considerable experience in all areas of home improvement. Much of that know-how came from working with my father who has been in the trade since the 1960s. Today we serve the central Maryland area with a full array of services including remodeling, additions, decks, fencing, roofing, skylights, siding, windows, doors, gutters and gutter guards. Straka Contracting is dedicated to quality work and we offer a guarantee to back it up on every job. What’s more, when I take on work I am personally involved from beginning to end, making sure things are done properly. Karel Straka, Owner Straka Contracting...

Super Service Awards

+15 more images

decks & porches (60)home remodeling (22)woodworking (16)handyman (14)door installation (13)roofing (13)house painting (11)siding companies (11)drywall (11)deck cleaning (10)gutter repair (10)basement remodeling (8)

10/13/2021

Shirley P.

Karel and his crew did an excellent job. His work is first rate, he communicated well with us throughout the remodeling process of our deck with regard to the schedule, and was totally professional. As he prepared the deck, he discovered issues with the existing support system and resolved those issues after consulting with us. He has our highest recommendation for your deck work.

Description of Work
Refurbish old deck platform and steps with Trex, install PVC covers over posts, add PVC spindles, and install under deck ceiling system to allow the patio underneath to be used in all weather.

Category decks, deck cleaning

Work Completed On 10/13/2021

Review for Straka Contracting LLC - 4428 Brittany Dr, Ellicott City, MD - 39507180

10/12/2021

MaryJane W.

Mr. Straka and his team were a pleasure to work with and will definitely be our go-to contractor for future work. Straka Contracting were very professional and spent time making sure they understood exactly what we were looking for in our new deck and suggested beneficial changes to help us achieve the functionality and look we wanted. During the demo of the old deck, a serious structural issue was found and the Straka team quickly and comprehensively explained the issue and worked quickly to fit the unexpected structural repair into their schedule as soon as they could to minimize the time the structural supports of the home were exposed to the elements. Straka Contracting took great care to obtain all of the necessary structural engineering plans and carefully planned a safe way to complete the dangerous repair that kept the team and occupants (including pets!) safe while the structural issues were fixed. They then worked quickly to finish the original deck rebuild and the finished products were very high quality work with great attention to aesthetic detail on the deck that provided small touches that elevated the look of the deck and matched the home’s trim and style. Their attention to detail was meticulous and the quality of work was outstanding. We will definitely be using Straka Contracting in the future for any additional large home projects!

Description of Work
Deck demo, rebuild, and structural repair

Category decks, structural engineer

Work Completed On 08/03/2021

05/20/2021

Keith G.

Karel and his team were exceptional in every aspect of the demo/build. Karel was on-site every day and available for questions at any time. We could simply not be happier with out experience and final results. A+ service any way you look at it. If we need to do work in the future we will reach out to Straka Contracting first.

Description of Work
Demo of old deck and new deck build

Work Completed On 12/01/2020

03/24/2021

Chris B.

Karel Straka was fantastic to work with. He provided excellent guidance on what would work, how he would do the work, and why, and a reasonable quote for the performance of the work. When he saw a problem with the original approach, he completely redesigned it and gave us a lower estimate. He communicated with us reliably about the timing and other aspects of the project. Upon commencement of the work, he and his team proceeded daily to get it done in a timely fashion. They cleaned up every day, and left the project in great shape for us. The workmanship is excellent. I would highly recommend him, not only for his knowledge, skills, timeliness, but also because he is wonderful to work with.

Description of Work
We needed more structural support for an existing elevated deck and new railings on the main part of the deck.

Work Completed On 03/17/2021

01/23/2021

Rick L.

It went seamlessly and Karel is very easy to work with. We were so pleased, we hired him again when we needed a railing installed up our front steps. Both jobs were done on time, at agreed-upon price, and beautiful! We are now calling him again for a possible bathroom remodel!

Description of Work
Replace our deck

Category ceramic tile, decks

Work Completed On 02/03/2020

11/12/2020

Brandon G.

Can't say enough about how happy we are with Karel and the job he did with our deck and new door. He was really easy to work with from the start, and was quick to respond to emails anytime we had questions (we had quite a few). The job was done quickly and without issue, and Karel did a great job coordinating on permits and inspections. Overall we're really happy and Karel will be the first person we call if we need more work done in the future.

Description of Work
Built a deck and replaced a sliding patio door

Category decks, doors

Work Completed On 10/26/2020

Review for Straka Contracting LLC - 4428 Brittany Dr, Ellicott City, MD - 39018505

10/26/2020

Richard C.

This is our second time using Straka Contracting and we will use them again. This time, Karel and Lenny installed a front door with sidelites and built a porch over our front stoop. They also replaced a standard garage side door and some lighting. The porch was mostly custom built and many decisions/selections were made along the way. Karel was extremely flexible, patient and responsive to our needs. We wanted a custom piece above the door that was delayed. Karel returned to install it the day after it arrived. With respect to CoVID-19, the team worked safely and was responsive to our concerns and needs. Karel is professional, responsible and performs high quality work at a reasonable price. He sweats the details.

Description of Work
Replace exterior doors and add porch

Category decks, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 10/09/2020

10/14/2020

Kevin D.

Great job and good price. We would recommend and hire again

Description of Work
Deck railing

Category decks, deck cleaning, woodworking

Work Completed On 10/13/2020

10/11/2020

Sandy F.

I reached out by email to request a price quote for the remodeling of two bathrooms. He let me know that he was busy, but if I could wait until mid-winter (4 mos?) he'd be happy to take a look and supply a quote. We scheduled a meet several days hence, which he later cancelled, as a rainy week put him behind. After a number of emails, we settled on the following weekend, btwn 8 & 8:30. After waiting 20 mins beyond HIS suggested arrival time, no call, no email. So I went to run errands. Later in the day (3:00pm,) I realized that he had emailed at 9:00am to say that he had to take his kid to a game, could he come 2 hrs later. The last email that I sent included my phone number. He knew at 8:00 that he would not be coming, so I was up and ready. Not sure why he couldn't have called me AT my appt time to tell me he wasn't coming. If this is standard treatment before he has my money...

Description of Work
Remodeling of two bathroom.

Category woodworking, home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/12/2020

I gave you a time window, not an exact time of 8am. You mentioned previously that you are going to be home all day, not sure what the problem is with me emailing.... Same here, glad we didn't do any business as my kid will always come first.

John F.

Straka Contracting provided the best price on materials and service, was flexible on scheduling the job, did a fantastic work replacing the door and fitting the interior and exterior trim, and quite simply, just exceeded expectations all around. Sometimes you get lucky finding the right person and the right company for the job, and we had the best experience possible with Straka Contracting.

Description of Work
Replacement of sliding glass door

Category remodeling, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 07/16/2020

Femi R.

Karel and his team were extremely professional, responsive, and transparent with their pricing and project plan. They did a great job replacing our old deck with high grade composite material. I definitely recommend Straka Contracting if you are considering a deck remodeling project.

Description of Work
Deck Repair

Category decks, woodworking

Work Completed On 09/18/2020

Ken G.

Karel and his team did an outstanding job building a new Trex deck for me. Karel was very communicative throughout the entire project, answering all of my questions very promptly, even on weekends and evenings. The finished product was outstanding in every way. Neighbors and friends were all very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the completed deck. I highly recommend Karel and won't hesitate to call upon his services and expertise on future projects.

Description of Work
New Trex Deck

Category decks, drywall, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/08/2020

08/10/2020

Annemarie S.

I had read the reviews and decided to call Mr. Straka for an estimate. His estimate was fair and the work was scheduled and completed in one day. I am thrilled with the quality of the work. Mr. Straka stopped back a day later to double check that everything was satisfactory. I plan to hire Straka Contracting again, and would recommend them without reservation.

Description of Work
Replaced the supports on a raised deck

Category woodworking

Work Completed On 08/05/2020

05/16/2020

Annette K.

My interaction with the company was great. They were professional and quick with a response and estimate. I would reach out to them again.

Description of Work
Estimate requested

Category remodeling, woodworking

Work Completed On 05/15/2020

01/24/2020

Douglas W.

Our second time using Straka Contracting. We were so impressed by the powder room that he did for us, that we hired him again to do our master bathroom. The work is done in such a professional manner. Looking to have more projects done by him.

Description of Work
bathroom remodel

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 01/06/2020

11/17/2019

Richard C.

This was a large job taking more than a week. Karel and his crew were professional, punctual, responsive and trustworthy. They did excellent work, paying attention to detail, left the site very clean daily We were really impressed by how well he repaired the considerable rot damage on our bay windows. This was all custom work. We are hiring Mr. Straka to replace our front door and add a small porch. We are not sure exactly what we want and Karel has been both patient and helpful.

Description of Work
Refurbish 2 elevated decks using maintenance free decking and railings. Repair rotted wood on 3 bay windows, etc. Replace 3 panel patio door. Seal/repair roof on underdeck shed.

Category decks, deck cleaning, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 11/16/2019

11/14/2019

Kathleen G.

All you have to do is look at how many "A" ratings are on this site for Straka Contracting and you'll get the idea! Karel Straka, the owner, is very professional, does excellent work for a fair price, and starts and finishes work when he says he will. He is also down to earth and pragmatic, He and his helpers rebuilt a wooden fence that was more than 30 years old for me. I was quite impressed that instead of trying to convince me to tear it down, he instead set about figuring out the best way to do it. I would absolutely hire him again and hope to have the opportunity to do so.

Description of Work
Rebuilding a fence.

Category fencing

Work Completed On 11/01/2019

Douglas W.

Straka did a wonderful, very professional job. We've had others who charged more and didn't do as wonderful a job. Already rehired to do our master bathroom.

Description of Work
Did our powder room.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/31/2019

Dhruv M.

Karel is very responsive and professional and that would stand out in your conversation with him. I was working with him over the course of this summer to first get the quote, finalize the material and get approval from HoA which took long time. He was accommodating with change of color of material as well. The work done was in timely manner and without any delay. Quality of work appears to be really high. I would definitely recommend Karel if you are looking for someone to construct a deck.

Description of Work
A new deck construction

Category decks, deck cleaning

Work Completed On 10/10/2019

Juliann D.

Very well. Karl was honest, direct, collaborative, responsive, hard working, timely, and trustworthy. We would look forward to the opportunity to work with him again!

Description of Work
Deck removal and new build

Category decks, remodeling

Work Completed On 10/30/2019

10/28/2019

Alan M.

Karel and his carpenter Lenny did a wonderful job. After removing the old deck boards and fascia they discovered the existing beam and outer framing joists needed to be replaced. They did all the work in a professional and quality manner. In addition Karel recommended a patio contractor who installed a new patio adjacent to the deck creating a new outdoor entertainment area for us. Karel was easy to work with and it was obvious he took great pride in his work.

Description of Work
Replace wooden deck boards and trim on an existing deck 12' x 24' structure with composite materials

Work Completed On 08/19/2019

Review for Straka Contracting LLC - 4428 Brittany Dr, Ellicott City, MD - 38198384

07/26/2019

Gulshan D.

I highly recommend Straka Contracting. We retained Straka to demolish an existing 16x20 wooden deck and replace it with a 20x20 composite deck with a stairway in June of 2019. It took them two weeks to do the job. Karel Straka, the company’s owner, showed up with his crew every single morning, and built the deck within the estimated timeframe. Clearly, his crew has been working with him for a long time as they worked very well together as a team. Karel and his crewmembers are skilled artisans. The deck looks exactly like I had envisioned. The workmanship is flawless. Karel himself worked on the job every single day. He takes great pride in his work and sets high standards for himself. Our communication was very good. During contracting stage, he responded to my emails timely. The price quoted was fair and reasonable. I received several quotes, and most of the contractors quoted a higher price. I had reservations about a few contractors who quoted slightly lower prices; therefore, I decided to go with Karel, and I am glad I did. It is not easy to find a small-sized contractor who can provide a very high quality work at a reasonable cost. Five stars all the way!

Description of Work
Replace an old wooden deck with a new composite deck

Category decks, remodeling