ANIMAL CONTROL SPECIALISTS INC

Founded 1991 • With Angi since October 2007

27555 W IL-176 C3

Wauconda, IL 60084

Wildlife management service. We solve or prevent nuisance wildlife problems. Including comprehensive inspections, removal of problem animals and repair of damage areas to prevent future problems. Bee, wasp and hornet control....

animal removal (113)pest control (26)chimney cap repair (2)

08/19/2021

Mary Ellen O.

They were great...knowledgeable, efficient and everything worked exactly like they said it would. Squirrels are gone!

Description of Work
Squirrel removal from attic.

Work Completed On 08/11/2021

07/11/2020

robert P.

They were very prompt, professional and thorough on their assessment. We were very pleased with the caovers they installed and would definitely recommend and use their services again.

Description of Work
inspection and custom chimney screen installation.

Category chimney caps,animal removal

Work Completed On 07/13/2020

02/03/2020

Jeff F.

Hired to remove squirrels from our attic. Left specific instructions with Norm about location of the traps location as our house has 2 distinct unconnected attics. The traps were set on the wrong side of the house and after calling several times they came out to move them. While on the wrong side of the house there was a squirrel captured. When they arrived at the house my wife again mentioned to them that the traps were on the wrong side of the house and she was met with derision and rudeness. When moved to the right side of the house they captured two more and after 2 days said they wouldn't be catching anymore. They quoted me on the phone $50 to repair each of the three dormers on the correct side of the house. While I clearly wanted all three dormers repaired and had told them to proceed, I noticed they had only repaired one. Received a bill for $440 which included $165 to set the traps $75 four each of the squirrels captured and $50 to repair the dormer. Since they only fixed one I elected to pay the bill less $75 for the squirrel caught on the wrong side of the house (There was no attic entry on that side). . I remitted the payment in a timely manner with a written explanation as to why I deducted the $75. Received a follow up bill with a finance charge and an increase in the charge for dormer repair to $155! I called today to again explain the reason for my payment being less than the now increased bill and was told you pay the entire amount anyway. So this is a business that is disorganized, I think dishonest, and willing to increase charges for services by 300% without any communication. While I'm sure this is a difficult service to provide I would most certainly suggest you find someone other than animal control specialists to provide it.

Description of Work
Squirrel Removal from Attic

Work Completed On 10/31/2019

[Member Name Removed] F., Upon reviewing your work order, I have found that much of what you claim does indeed to appear to be true. The quote on your original inspection notes does say that all three areas will be covered with sheet metal for $155.00. I am not sure why the technician did follow through on what he told you, but he did not. As far as the traps being set on the incorrect spot on the roof, they were set at one of the three areas that were suspected of squirrel activity. I am quite confident this first of three squirrels captured was a target animal. However, since our staff has certainly not followed through the way that we should have, we will refund the one squirrel pick up fee and reduce the billed repair fee to 1/3 of the charged fee. I apologize for the inconvenience and the way that the situation was handled by my staff. Sincerely, John

07/01/2019

GERALD F.

Went very well, trap installled promptly. Captured 2 raccoons and one opossum. Felt very comfortable that the skunks we saw had moved on.

Description of Work
Family of skunks under deck

Work Completed On 06/19/2019

06/30/2019

Bob K.

They arrived on time, assessed where the skunks were transiting, and set a trap. A second trap was set after we found skunks getting out from a different location. Services were completed in approximately 2 weeks time (mama + 8 babies). The technicians were prompt, professional, good communicators with us. We thank them for what they did. We were a little confused about the pricing and later confirmed after getting the bill. We called and they agreed perhaps they could have been clearer with the fee structure. No debate over the price, just a simple misunderstanding. We're cool, they're cool. Be cool.

Description of Work
Remove skunks from under our garden shed

Work Completed On 06/26/2019

05/05/2019

Dale S.

Did not catch. Raccoon burrowed out another side.

Description of Work
Trap set for raccoon under shed

Work Completed On 04/30/2019

01/17/2019

Ken W.

Ryan came at the appointed time & professionally explained the procedure and pricing. Performed an all-sides-of-house inspection to confirm only one animal access point. Secured several humane traps on roof near access. I chose to call Ryan each morning to report on the contents of the traps rather than have him make a daily trip. Caught 4 squirrels in 3 days. Traps were removed & access sealed up after 3 days of no further activity. Very professionally done. Definitely I would hire Animal Control Specialists again. Recommend them highly.

Description of Work
Removal of squirrel family that had taken up residence in the attic

Work Completed On 01/15/2019

01/01/2019

Larry W.

He put down some bait and caught one mouse, though there were probably others. More importantly, the person helping us saw some ways the mice were probably getting into our kitchen, and he closed that access off. We haven't been bothered by the mice return after that. Great work! Larry Weinstein

Description of Work
Getting rid of some mice.

11/07/2018

GEORGE P.

After a week of trying to catch raccoons, they removed the trap and closed the holes. In past tries over the years, they sometimes did trap and humanely removed raccoons. They are very responsive to calls for help.

Description of Work
Set trap for raccoons that I thought had again invaded my attic. There were holes in my roof.

Work Completed On 10/30/2018

07/23/2018

Neil M.

The process went smoothly from first contact to the end. I have used ACS in the past and would do so again.

Description of Work
Remove bird nest from siding and repair

Work Completed On 07/02/2018

01/09/2018

Tove G.

On another review, I explained what a great job Robert did screening our very large back deck. Well, since the animals could no longer live there, they decided to move in under our front stoop. They had never done this before. Robert came back out a put screening in to prevent any animals from getting in under our front stoop. It worked! As always, he was polite, prompt, did a great job and cleaned up afterwards.

Description of Work
Screening put in for front stoop.

Work Completed On 08/10/2017

01/09/2018

Tove G.

We have a very large deck. We had been getting animals under it for a few years and got tired of spending money to have them removed. The final straw was when a possum died under it. Robert came out and dug the trench around the deck and put screening in to prevent any more animals from moving in under the deck. It worked! He was prompt, polite and did a great job. He cleaned up afterwards too.

Description of Work
Perimeter screening put in for our very large deck.

Work Completed On 05/08/2017

03/23/2017

gerald F.

Missed the skunk but caught an opossum. Gave us suggestions on how to plug up the holes so the critters would not get in.

Description of Work
Helping catch a skunk.

Category pest control

Work Completed On 03/21/2017

09/23/2016

CYNTHIA D.

never did I think I would have this problem and called the township and several other governmental groups looking for the answer of who to call. Finally got in contact with John Hagan. When I mentioned "floater", he immediately knew the problem was a deer as there is some disease going around the deer population. He was very knowledgeable and explained what he would do and the price. He gave me a price range since it would depend on the location.

Description of Work
We had a dead deer floating off the shore of our pond.

Work Completed On 09/20/2016

11/30/2015

Reenie M.

They did a good job of finding the gap in the roof and trapped a couple of squirrels. I'm not sure that the squirrels were the animals I heard in the house, but I no longer hear noises in the house. I have found mouse droppings in the garage, so I'm not sure if there may be another place where they are coming in, aside from the gap in the roof. Still don't know if there are any animals in the attic, but again I'm not hearing any noises. I would have liked for them to come out to look at the attic but they said they'd only come out if I were hearing noises. I just don't want to be in a situation where an animal dies in the walls or attic because it now doesn't have a way to escape out. Cleaning out the mess of a dead animal may be even worse than hearing the noises. While they did a good job, I thought their prices were extremely high. I cost me over $500 to fix the gap, and put screens on the attic and fan.

Description of Work
came out to check premises for animal getting into the house. Found a gap in the roof. Fixed the roof gap and put screens for attic and fan.

Work Completed On 11/07/2015

09/19/2015

MARILYN L.

John came the same day we called him and took care of the problem right away. All wasps were gone immediately. Haven't seen any since his treatment.

Description of Work
Eradicated wasps from our house.

Work Completed On 09/02/2015

05/21/2015

David F.

Very responsive, Steve their tech arrived on time and determined i had a dead skunk under my deck. He located the skunk and removed it with out a problem. I had a follow up call with him and he explained the circumstances etc. Great job - no surprises.

Description of Work
Skunk under my deck

Work Completed On 05/19/2015

05/12/2015

Nadine T.

The technician came to our house and removed a dead squirrel from the chimney. After he left, we noticied several maggots in the fireplace. Disposed of the maggots that fell off from the dead squirrel. About 7 days later, started seeing 10 flys a day on our inside of patio window. Lit a fire in the fireplace and about 150 more flys came out into our townhouse. Called the company and was told that probably there were maggots up in the chimney and they have now turned into flys. Not to worry because once they turn into flys, they will die within a day or two. We lit another fire for 6 more hours and about 100 flys came into our townhouse. Could not sleep in our townhouse because of the amount of flys. Called the company again and was told they could send someone out but we would be charged!! The maggots in the chimeny should have been cleaned up in the first place by animal control. If this was not there job, the customer should have been INFORMED that this could happen and instructed to call a chimney cleaning company. Poor communication on the part of the technician and an unacceptable response.

Description of Work
Remove a dead squirrel from chimney/fireplace

Work Completed On 04/27/2015

We charged the minimum of the range quoted for the removal of the dead squirrel. When [member name removed] called about the flies in her home we gave her some advise as to a possible way to resolve the issue on her own. She called again stating that there were some flies still showing up and we said we could return and treat the chimney with pesticides. She refused to pay for additional services, so our relationship was terminated.

03/12/2015

Bernie H.

They were prompt in coming out to set trap, and collected the $135 fee for setting up the trap. Norm, the employee, was professional in setting it up and the receipt that we recieved for the trap set-up, did specify the $65 per animal, which was different than we understood. It was our confusion in hiring ACS, rather than the cheaper competitor who did charge same set-up fee and only $35 for each animal removal, that led to what we feel was an excessively high bill. The only other issue-and it is very much debatable- is that Norm advised continuing the trapping after the male skunk was trapped as he claimed that there was a good possibility of a female skunk also under the deck. I don't know if that was a legitimate concern or simply "milking the client". I have read that it is unlikely that a male and female adult will inhabit same place except during the actual mating act itself. But it is of course easy to "Monday morning quarterback". I would certainly advise others to compare prices before beginning the service. Lesson learned.

Description of Work
Set a trap to catch a very smelly skunk living under our deck. Eventually caught the skunk, but also caught one possum and three racoons. Each animal cost $65 to remove. We understood, apparantly incorrectly due to confusion with a competitors prices, that it cost $35 to remove each animal. Even though the skunk was caught 3rd, we continued to set trap and eventually paid an additional $130 to remove two raccoons (that we had no desire to remove). No sign of an additional skunk since.

Work Completed On 03/01/2015

It is unfortunate that our customer has expressed dissatisfaction with our service. We do everything we can to ensure our charges are clearly explained. In addition to being quoted the fees on the telephone, we also put them in writing and obtain a signature on our initial visit. We have not charged $35.00 per animal since 1991, when we first started. I could not stay in business at that price. Also I would recommend that you check for other hidden charges if another company is quoting $35.00 per animal. When we set a trap, we check the trap daily at no additional cost. If trap is empty the trip is is free. We only charge for animals caught (or progress). Many competitors charge for every trip regardless if something is captured. In regards to the reseting of a trap after the first skunk was caught, the time that the trap was set at this home was the peak of skunk mating season. We get hundreds of calls for skunks spraying and smelling up houses at this time of year. In nearly all cases it is due to the competition for female skunks. The assumption that a female skunk may be around when a male is caught is not only realistic but probable. We usually set another trap after an animal is caught because we can't assume only one animal is the source of a problem. Something made the first skunk spray. Possibly the raccoon that was caught. If we only catch one problem animal when there are more, have we accomplished anything? While we do everything we can to try to eliminate capturing nontarget animals (ie, raccoons in this case) it not possible to completely prevent. Once again, we are sorry that our customer was left with a feeling of dissatisfaction. We try very hard to provide quality service for the valuable dollars that our clients spend. We appreciate the opportunity to provide wildlife control services to you, and hope that you will still consider our company should the need arise in the future. Sincerely, John Hagan Animal Control Specialists, Inc.

12/22/2014

David T.

The service provided by Animal Control Specialists, Inc. was wonderful, at a much higher level and MUCH LESS expensive than another company we have used over the past 10-15 years, ABC Humane Wildlife Control & Prevention. Animal Control Specialists charged $135 for an initial inspection and for installation and baiting of TWO traps on the roof of our house. They came every day to inspect the traps themselves, at no additional charge. They would have charged $60 to pick up a trapped animal, but no animals were caught. As noted above, the company representative felt there was no evidence that the animals actually had gotten all the way into our attic. Therefore, after four days without apparent animal activity, they removed the traps and charged an additional $95.00 to seal the hole with a metal barrier, bringing the total cost to only $230.00. In contrast, our previous vendor, ABC Humane Wildlife Control charged $150 for an initial instillation of one trap, required me to check the trap myself every day, and charged $75 each time they came for any reason (to remove an animal, re-bait a trap, etc). They did not provide the service of closing the hole to keep animals from re-entering the attic. In the end, a MUCH LOWER level of service than provided by Animal Control Specialists cost us MUCH MORE money, specifically more than $700. It was because of a feeling of being "milked" by our previous vendor (ABC Humane Wildlife Control) that I looked for an alternative on Angie's list and found Animal Control Specialists. The effort saved me hundreds of dollars, and so I will never go back to ABC. The representative of Animal Control Specialists, Inc. was very professional, very polite, and very punctual. The charges were very reasonable, especially in comparison with their major competitor. We have had problems with animals (skunks, squirrels) in the past, so I suppose we will again. I definitely will call Animal Control Specialists, Inc. any time we have additional problems of this type.

Description of Work
Squirrels had chewed a large hole under an eave of our roof. The provider inspected the damage and indicated that he did not think the animals actually got into the attic, because there was an intact wood barrier behind the hole. To be certain, he set two squirrel traps on the roof, covered the hole with tape, and checked the traps and the tape every day, When the tape remained intact for four days, and no animals had been trapped, the provider removed the traps and sealed the hole with a metal barrier, to keep the animals from resuming their attempts to get into our attic at the same place.

Work Completed On 12/22/2014

12/05/2014

kevin K.

Very thorough and polite. They did everything I asked of them and have no complaints.

Description of Work
Attempted to catch a skunk under my porch and squirrels in my attic. Sealed off the squirrel access to my attic.

Work Completed On 11/10/2014

11/16/2014

Richard C.

No animals were caught but the traps may keep animals out of the attic. Norma, the tech, was very professional and displayed a very strong concern to check for entry points and animal proofing the roof. He was punctual, and called to let me know when he would arrive.I would feel very comfortable to recommend your service to my friends and your new customers. This was the second time I used your service. Very satisfied customer, Richard C

Description of Work
Set traps and put metal cages on roof where animals tried to gain entry.

Work Completed On 11/10/2014