We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling

Custom Exteriors Inc

Founded 1997 • With Angi since December 2005

2142 Rheem Dr. Ste E

Pleasanton, CA 94588

Call today and schedule an appointment! Custom Exteriors has been making homes beautiful for over 23 years. We offer free estimates on complete whole-house Anlin and Marvin window installations, put in new Therma-Tru exterior doors, and install James Hardie siding. Our team of licensed, certified master installers are proud of the work they do, and our customers always enjoy high-quality products, exceptional service, and fair prices. At Custom Exteriors, we always stand behind our work and have done so on over 18,000 jobs. We look forward to working on your project soon! **We only do whole home projects. We do not do repairs or interior doors. We only install what we sell....

02/19/2020

Dan R.

It went well. It's a large process. Where I live they have to take out the stucco so it took several days but they were great. They came everyday and the job went fast. Usually when you see new stucco patches it looks bad, but they blended it in perfectly! Top notch company. Very impressed. The city inspector asked who did the job and I said Custom Exteriors and he said "Yeah, they do great work!"

Description of Work
Installed new dual pane windows and sliders in my condo

02/19/2020

tom T.

He did a fantastic job, it was amazing and very impressive.

Description of Work
He did windows in 2 of my houses.

02/18/2020

Larry B.

Great. The look better than expected.

Description of Work
Windows

02/18/2020

Larry B.

It was great and it was better than I expected. They were always on time and they did a very good job.

Description of Work
They put in some double pane windows in my house.

02/11/2020

Terrie H.

They are excellent. They are a wonderful company to work with. All their team members are very talented. They go out of their way to help me that I couldn't get the help I needed from various contractors.

Description of Work
They installed all my windows and doors. Sliding glass doors and doors. Installed new siding on my entire house.

Category siding, replacement windows, doors

01/31/2020

Caeton R.

These guys are the best. They removed original windows from my home perfectly. They covered every surface before starting and cleaned up perfectly when done. Window install was exceptional and the quality is amazing. 10/10 recommend.

Description of Work
14 New windows in my 120 year old home

01/30/2020

Adam B.

They did an excellent job, their quote was reasonable, they are on time, very reliable, they always have enough men for the work. They did a beautiful and top notch job.

Description of Work
They did a total exterior renovation, they insulated on the sod, they put hardy board siding and install new windows.

Category remodeling

11/12/2019

anil J.

The sales person is very rude and always tried to make sure you signup the contract/agreement before he leaves the place/front door and the way he tell is or you can call the slogan as “if i step out of door the discount he offer 20% is no more and can not be applied” , basically they won’t give you time to think of it. this is ridiculous and at one point i am ready to quit, as i am in the process of remodeling my home and need to check lot of things but the sales guy really not listened to me. But i got some excuse here as he promised something to update me next day and he haven't done for while and i reported my experience with this sales person and the front desk told they are going to hook me up with owner of the company. that's how i started dealing with person called David, he was helpful but not ideally at the end of the day as when my kitchen window not finished and waiting for days to finish and repair it and while waiting for hearing from the dispatch team , i contacted him and he mentioned he is out of town and asked me to contact customer service and never even followed up to me. coming to the point, After all the 20% discount itself they are very over priced but the model and style i want they are offering so I talked with the Owner or sales manager Mr.David of the company and jumped into and offered the same price what the salesman offered and also accommodated my request to install soon but mentioned that with the city permit they are not responsible for load balancing or other things if city inspector asks. If city inspector asks this kind of things , we need to get a designer and engineer to be involved and it costs us more with respect to new opening windows. after that, they tried to stay on promise to come back and started installing within 4-5 weeks from signing and paying 50% fee upfront which normal time i feel and i haven't really achieved anything great here. On the installation day after installing my kitchen window I figured out, they installed wrong window( meaning the agreement i had vs the window installed) and I refused to close the window since i got incorrect style and I caught it and no one mentioned it, i feel lucky enough to be detail with these guys. They installed rest of the 7 windows in the home and i have called the Owner /sales manager and i mentioned above issue and per his suggestion i called customer service and its been close 3 weeks and they didn’t anything so-far. IMP : On top of that they told me they pull permit and they submit some structural diagrams and etc to support which costs $240 extra apart from the permit fee.. but when i asked for documentation of the diagram they told they didn’t submit anything and $240 is just for going to city office for pulling permit. City office is 1 mile away from my office when i am doing $11k+ job they not even giving you to pay the city fee and charging extra ... i was not happy on that issue and raised my voice and the miscommunication i received from sales person in the beginning, then they convinced and waived that’s different story but careful and cautious with this company. I preferred this company because of overwhelming reviews and diamond certified... but in reality they didn’t meet my standards especially all this bad things behind the scenes and i could confidently says that with the issues and the people i have spoke. I have to do many calls, messages, emails and so much followup and mental stress and we as family depressed and lot of work time wasted and need to followup very much on every task, am living with that open structure in the Kitchen for 3 weeks. In between they sent one person, that time we have power outage which I don’t control but I requested them to leave to other job they have and comeback once it finished later in the day , the person confirmed he will do it as he going to other job soon but called him also many times no luck.. It Says Diamond Certified Company but standards are way below like I explained and no followup

Description of Work
WIndows replacement

Category replacement windows

[Member Name Removed]- As the owner, I am glad we met in person. After going through the items you had a problem with, I think we can agree that many of your points were resolved and some were possibly due to the fact that you had another contractor working on the house at the same time. In my experience, when there are multiple contractors on one site, things can get confusing. I am glad you are happy with the completed job. Thank you for signing the final paperwork.

05/19/2018

Christa C.

Starting Phase 3 with Custom Exteriors! Phase 1: Two years ago, my parents moved into our home. They loved the space, but their rooms were drafty and difficult to keep warm. We decided to replace the windows. After interviewing several companies, we chose Custom Exteriors for their price/quality, responsiveness, and professionalism. We are so happy we did! The quote process with David Lopez was helpful, painless, and efficient. The owner, Jeff Kendall, came himself to verify final measurements and to order the windows we wanted. The installers were courteous, clean, and worked quickly. The rooms look nicer, keep a more even temperature, the outside noises are dampened, and my parents are happy. Phase 2: Last year, we decided to replace the windows in the rest of the house. We were so pleased with Custom Exteriors that we chose them again. Now the front of our house has a much cleaner, more beautiful appearance, the heat of summer and cool of winter are not so noticeable inside, and we don’t hear street noises like we used to. So now, Phase 3: This year we decided to replace our wobbly old sliding doors, and called Custom Exteriors again. We hesitated due to budget, but finally we asked ourselves: why wait to replace windows and doors until we sell the house, when we can enjoy all these upgrades for ourselves?! The price was not as bad as we feared, and now our new sliding doors are on their way. Same pleasant process so far, and we look forward to the beauty, quiet, and temperature control we have noticed after the other installs. Thank you, Custom Exteriors!

Description of Work
Windows and Sliding Doors

06/19/2017

Elizabeth T.

The door is beautiful. There were a couple of hiccups, but they were resolved. Once the company is contacted, they were very responsive.

Description of Work
I ordered a new front door.

06/10/2017

Jana S.

I went up and talked to the company and they were great. It was the whole front wall because I took down that wall. Windows for the whole house. They are expensive. They are good but a bit more than other companies out there. They were professional to the company owner to the people that installed the windows. They were all really great.

Description of Work
They replaced all the windows and installed new siding and installation on the house.

03/23/2017

William S.

Initial design was accurately based on my specific requirements by a very knowledgeable and talented sales representative. The product price was reduced by a manufacturer's discount that was passed on to my estimated costs. I obtained five estimates and the others either did not offer the manufacture's discount to me for the same product or offered an inferior solution (for less cost) that did not meet my expectations. Installation was prompt as scheduled, crew was efficient, courteous and kept the area very clean and neat. I couldn't be happier with this project.

Description of Work
Replace five windows and one sliding patio door with dual pane products that were energy efficient and reduced outside noise in a two bedroom condominium near a freeway and train tracks.

03/11/2016

DEBRA J.

Very pleased with the quality of work preformed by Custom Exteriors regarding the installation of Anlin replacement windows in our 90+ year old home. Received the estimate, agreed to the measuring and changes, and, made the deposit. Got the call when expected and the crew showed up and installed 10+ windows over 2 days. Don?t expect any suits on the job just the crew who were professional and respectful of our home.

Description of Work
Anlin Replacement Windows

Category replacement windows

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to give us such a nice review! We were hoping we could get your permission to publish this on our website. Please let us know if you're comfortable with this. Kind regards, Your friends at Custom Exteriors

01/08/2016

Christa C.

Custom Exteriors was timely, professional, thorough, and a pleasure to work with. David Lopez prepared the estimate, and of all the companies who came out, he was the most informative, patient, and straightforward. Their price was neither the cheapest nor the most expensive, but rather the most reasonable, matching the product needed. The installers were efficient, friendly, and left no mess. We are glad to have chosen them, and we are calling them back for phase two of remodeling. A+

Description of Work
Custom Exteriors replaced old single-pane windows and slider, helping create a working and comfortable in-law unit for my parents.

12/02/2015

Edward D.

Custom Exterior used to do double pain windows in 2003 and now they do stucco as well. The sales pitch was well done. They were to repair dry root on a corner of the house then stucco the front of the house and the wall of a balcony. Their estimates got strange as I asked what if they would only do the balcony or what if they only did the front of the the house. It seemed they always needed to have a 3 person crew visit three times that made the estimates high. A big red flag went up when then wanted half of the price upfront before they started. We canceled the contact at that time. We decided not to do stucco at all after this experience.

Description of Work
Visited our home, provided a sales pitch with references, returned for the initial deposit, owner visited us a week later for half of the price of the job.

Category replacement windows, stucco

11/11/2015

Sandra O.

FIRST OF ALL we thought it would all go smoothly given that CE has good Angie's reviews and is Diamond Certified (a supposedly independent seal of approval.). But neither of these " guarantees" turned out to mean much at all. What should have been a 5-7 day job (as per the contract) took 5 and a half weeks. Of these 26 work days, there were 19 when no work was done! Here's a summary of the product and installation problems caused by CE's poor project management and poor internal communications. Juan handles scheduling but I was the one who had to contact him two weeks out in order to confirm the start day (8/2/15). A week out I called to reconfirm and was told the start had to be delayed until 8/10/15. By 10:30 am on 8/10 no one had yet arrived. I called CE and was told Francisco's truck broke down so they would star the next day instead. 8/11: Francisco and his 2 man crew arrive and have clearly not been briefed on the scope of our job. Juan drops by but he forgets the door hardware at the office (MISSING PRODUCT). Wrap work begins on house's shady side. 8/12: I alter my plans to be here but no one shows. We notice that our foundation vents were left uncovered after prep work, an invitation to any rat, skunk, squirrel or raccoon. We put back the old vent covers that are lying about. 8/13: The crew installs the wrong James Hardie (JH)trim product so has to stop for the day (WRONG PRODUCT was primed trim rather than solid thru Arctic white). Good thing I was around and noticed the error at midday rather than at the end of the day. Called Juan to get correct material. 8/14 thru 8/19: No delivery of the correct JH trim so no work can proceed. I finally speak to CE owner Jeff to insist he call their supplier since Juan can't get the supplier to call him back. 8/20: trim delivered so crew starts to install BUT they are not using the flat tab mounting strips(screw less install) because these were never ordered (MISSING PRODUCT) 8/21 thru 8/25: Work cannot proceed since still waiting for flat tab delivery 8/26 thru 8/29: Flat tabs delivered. Correct trim is finally correctly installed. New doors and windows installed by now. We pay another $6000 (and not the scheduled $9000 given all the problems thus far.) I STILL END UP HAVING TO PRIME AND PAINT THE NEW GABLE VENT SO THEY CAN KEEP ON INSTALLING THE SIDING. 8/29: Work begins on deck side but we realize that the JH soffit material was never ordered(MISSING PRODUCT) so work cannot proceed. 9/4: CE's roofer installs new fascia above deck (as per construct). We discover it's not the JH fiber cement material but wood. (WRONG AND MISSING PRODUCT). 8/31 to 9/9: Awaiting delivery of James Hardie soffit and fascia materials. During this time the "real" door/ window guys Ryan and Cesar replace the strike plates on the new doors. They weren't properly aligned by Francisco and crew who we later find out are really the stucco and siding guys. During this time we see that none of the screws or nails has been properly patched for painting(POOR QUALITY). 9/10: Roofer returns to install JH fascia. Even though the initial flashing is bent, it is reused.(POOR QUALITY). Francisco and crew work until dark since it's their last day. 9/11: Owner Jeff and project manager Juan (only his 3rd time on site) come by and we go over remaining work to be done: replace bent flashing, reconnect downspouts, install remaining soffit (got too dark on 9/10), properly patching of screws and finish caulking around new windows. Jeff leaves on vacation so other owner Kevin is our new CE contact 9/12: Roofer replaces bent flashing 9/14: The " door guys" Ryan and Cesar complete the remaining work. 9/15: The painter can finally do the touch up paint. CONCLUSION: We spent a very frustrating 26 days with CE. We were the only quality control element of the job. CE's own errors meant waiting for materials that instead SHOULD have been ordered accurately and in advance. Once I contacted co-owner Jeff, he did his best to address the many problems as they came up, BUT these were problems that would never have occurred had CE been on the ball in the first place. Jeff and Kevin apologized that Juan was stretched too thin even with an assistant and that he hadn't assigned us both "specialist" crews. Jeff did send over his own painter to paint the new doors. He said that CE doesn't usually handle the painting, but Paul had said they could. And how would I find a painter willing to spray just three door? As a goodwill gesture, CE paid for the door painter and for the two gable vents from Home Depot (I primed and painted both myself.) CE agreed that we would not pay the last $3000 that would have been due. However, it would have been worth it to pay the original amount and have things go smoothly and on time as per the contract.

Description of Work
Custom Exteriors (CE) replaced 2 bedroom window and 3 single exterior glass doors PLUS installed James Hardie fiber cement siding and JH trim on two sides of our house. JH products are the same solid color all the way thru so don't need painting for almost 20 years. We signed a contract($23795 total) on 6/13/15 paying a $9500 deposit(remember this later when they don't bother to order any siding ahead of time.). The CE sales rep, Paul, was very thorough and inspired confidence as did Jeff, the co- owner who came with Paul on a second for some technical input. This strong initial impression plus the "Diamond Certified" label seems to assure a quality job. UNFORTUNATELY, this didn't turn out to be the case. Instead our job suffered great delays because CE ordered the incorrect materials or did not order them at all. There was no quality control or project management except by us.

10/12/2015

mary W.

Estimator was quite pleasant and very knowledgeable. Crew showed up on time, did great job and cleaned up nicely, all done in one day. Windows are great. Yes would use these guys again. Have four more windows need replacing.

Description of Work
installed five windows upstairs. Including two up-to-code fire rated windows in two bedrooms.

Category replacement windows

Thank you so much for the kind words. Grayeagle, our estimator is easily one of the best in the industry anywhere. Much our work can be accomplished in one day with proper planning and solid execution.

10/07/2015

BLAIR B.

The whole project was handled professionally. The windows, options and contract details were transparent (pun intended) and the process was, well what you'd expect. I knew what I was getting, how much it cost and when they could deliver it. Their Salesman really knew his stuff and was very helpful in determining exactly what was necessary to be done. Based on the cost of such a large job, we decided to only do the windows that really needed to be replaced now and they were quite happy to work with us to rewrite the quote, get us measured and scheduled, and eventually installation day arrived (after a courtesy call reminder and selection of days) Marco C. of Customer Exteriors and his assistant performed magnificent work. All of the materials used were professional grade, high quality, the trim and casing carefully selected, and Marco clearly knows his trade well: what is the best sealants to use and what was expected in the quality of his work. Because they turned out beautiful! They arrived exactly on time both days, were super efficient in how they approached the job, Marco was extremely clear in everything that he did and what was expected of me, asked for my opinion on the little things that I'm sure people complain about afterwards (like the preferred opening direction of a pair of large windows) and he delivered exactly what we wanted; and more. Oh.. and they were clean. Construction is always a terrible mess, but these guys always, and I mean every single time, took the time to minimize the mess, kept personal items covered if there was any chance of debris, and presented their final product to us in pristine condition. I really cannot say enough about what Customer Exteriors in Pleasanton delivered. Of course these things can be a bit pricey and I'm sure we could have gotten it done cheaper with Box Store materials and installed by a couple of gorillas with a sawzall... but those were the windows that we just replaced! And these windows are NICE (maybe too nice for my tiny little house)! And I must say, after it is all said and done, that I kinda wish that I would've done all of the windows in the house. Super job, Custom Exteriors. We are well satisfied with what you delivered.

Description of Work
Removal of old bargain-basement windows and installation of approx 96 sq. feet of glazing with full sill, casing and skirts on the inside and fine framing on the exterior. All city inspections were part of the process and proper installation of flashing and barrier was fully evident.

Category roofing, replacement windows

Thank you for your review. We work very hard to leave a home looking like we were never there with the exception of course of new windows! The details always matter and we certainly appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to work with you. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing and Business Development

10/02/2015

Victoria W.

This company was very professional from the salesperson to the installers. Always on time, always informative. We ordered Anlin windows and doors in vinyl and are very pleased. Anlin is a California company and their windows and doors conform to or exceed California's environmental requirements. Their bid was higher by several thousand dollars than two other companies from whom I requested bids. But I'm very pleased with the results, so pleased, in fact, that I decided to replace the remaining 12 windows.

Description of Work
Replaced 3 sliding glass doors and 4 windows with new construction (not replacement) windows and sliding glass doors.

Category pavers, gravel, replacement windows, doors

Thank you for choosing Custom Exteriors not once, but twice this year to replace the windows in your home in Danville. Grayeagle, our estimator is tops in his field. The quality attitude begins at the top with Jeff Kendall and Kevin Gundry, owners of Custom Exteriors and permeates the entire company. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing

09/09/2015

Sunny S.

They were were very poor at communicating when the work would get done. My wife had to visit their store to ensure they actually existed, after four phone calls were placed by her and me (and each time someone would say they'd get back). In the end, they came in a couple of weeks late (which would have been OK if they had communicated the delay), and did the work. It was obvious the price was way more than justified (as the window itself only cost a quarter of the money)... and at the end, they did not even finish the inside drywall properly on the expanded section of the window. It still looks shoddy, and I intend to fix their work in the near future. The whole experience felt very unprofessional after a very smooth sales job exaggerating how much work would have to be done and how it was going to cost them a lot to do one window at a time in each of our bedroom. The installer did find some issues with water seepage from the joint between our patio roof and the stucco wall, and worked to seal behind the stucco, after making it very clear they were not liable if there was a leak - I do appreciate his warning though, since that will allow me to fix the issue before the winter rain. His If only they had done a good job of finishing the drywall work (done by a different person in the crew), I'd have rated them an A on quality. The window itself is good, and I'd probably choose a distributor of the same kind of window from a different town, if need be, than go to Custom Exteriors again. Updated 9/24/15: Someone from Custom Exteriors called to see if we were satisfied, and upon inspection of the interior drywall finish acknowledged the drywall work had not been completed. A few days later (without scheduling ahead), a couple of capable folks dropped in (fortunately I was able to stay at home that day to allow them to get it done), and in a couple of hours, finished the window work nicely. Hence have bumped up the quality rating from B to A, and the professionalism rating from D to C. It looks like they are very understaffed, may be taking on too much without investing in coordination/customer scheduling resources. Can be easily prevented, as can the over-hype of the complexity of the work in the sales quotation process.

Description of Work
Replaced window with a larger window, expanded by a foot at the bottom, no electrical work needed, external stucco had to be re-patched, interior drywall had to be refinished.

Category replacement windows, stucco, patios

It was a pleasure to meet you in person while allowing me to inspect the work and assign the proper resources to finish the job properly. Very few projects go poorly, I'm sorry this one did and affected your family the way it did. Again, please accept our apology. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing and Business Development

07/12/2015

Jonathan S.

Everything went smoothly, and we are very happy with the results. The windows are attractive, operate smoothly, and fit well. We had been replacing the old single-pane aluminum frame windows piecemeal, and are sorry that we didn't find Custom Exteriors sooner, because they did the best job. They were very professional and helpful at all stages, from measuring and explaining options through installation and finishing.

Description of Work
Replaced all of the remaining old single-pane windows in our house, about a dozen altogether, including custom wood frame casements.

Category replacement windows

Thank you for the kind review and happy that you did eventually find us. We are now over 16,000 installations in the San Francisco Bay Area, many of them with Angie's List members. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing and Business Development

06/30/2015

Deborah J.

Hello Grayeagle, We have been thinking of you and the crew at Custom Exteriors while the heatwave is upon us. Last October you all did a fabulous job of installing Anlin Catalina windows on our San Leandro home. Now that they are being put to the test we can report a 20 degree difference in temperature! When it is 90 on the back porch it is 70 in the kitchen (which faces south). Thank you all so much for steering us to a wonderful product and for a very professional installation. We love it!!! Oona Johnson and Chris Keith San Leandro Prompt, professional, excellent service and a variey of prices/products. A pleasure to do business with them and we would definitely recommend them to others.

Description of Work
installed double pane replacement windows and one exterior door

Category replacement windows, doors

Another successful Grayeagle Porter project!! We won't be able to live with him! Great windows make all the difference. Now available in the Bay Area are PACE programs HERO and CaliforniaFIRST. Both homeowners the ability to make energy efficient upgrades to their property and tie the payments to their property taxes. Please visit our website for more information. Thank you again for the kind words about the project, our company, and the people we rely upon. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing and Business Development

04/14/2015

Daniel C.

Went great. The salesman greyeagle was on time and very easy to work with. The replacement team had the job done in around three hours and the windows look great.

Description of Work
Replaced 5 windows

Category replacement windows

Thank you so much for the kind words. We work a great deal in San Francisco. Rules are strict, so it pays to really pay attention to details. Thank you to another happy Angie's List member. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing and Business Development

04/05/2015

adrian D.

Had to replace 13 windows due to dry rot. Crew was very professional. They made good suggestions on type of windows. They were able to replace the windows from the inside which avoided the need for scaffolding. The only complaint is that they said they would send enough people to complete the job in 1 to 1 1/2 days, but it took 3 full days. Overall the job went very well and I am well satisfied.

Description of Work
Replaced windows on 2 floors

Category contractors, replacement windows

Thank you for the excellent review. Sorry to read that it took longer than the quoted 1 1/2 days. We continue to improve our ability to accurately quote project duration, even taking into account items such as dry rot not caught as part of the original bid. We really appreciate the Angie's List member review. Sincerely, Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing

02/13/2015

Daniel B.

We had a great experience with Custom Exteriors! My wife met Grayeagle, their sales rep, through other friends. We were in the market for windows and asked him to give us a quote, with the understanding that we were also getting quotes from other vendors. We did our homework and learned as much as we could about the available windows. Ultimately, Custom Exteriors gave us a very competitive quote on Anlin windows and we decided to go with them. It took about three weeks for the windows to be produced and then their crew, led by Manny came in and installed 16 windows. One of the windows was a bit complicated over our kitchen sink and another involved actually expanding the size of the opening because we wanted a larger window installed over our bathtub. There was a combination of retrofit and new construction windows that we ordered. Everything was installed beautifully and the whole job was done in 2 days. The crew was profession and cleaned up very well. We have noticed a tremendous improvement in the comfort of our home which was cold and drafty with our previous windows. We would highly recommend Custom Exteriors!

Description of Work
Installation of new vinyl windows throughout our home.

Category replacement windows

Wow. Thank you for this! It really brings a smile to my face to hear from happy Angie's List members. Grayeagle is at the top of his game, easily one of the best in the industry. Jack Cooper Custom Exteriors, Inc Marketing