Mark's Handyman Service

Founded 2002 • With Angi since January 2007

5021 Shore Dr

Carlsbad, CA 92008

Handyman Service, Home Improvement and Estate Management....

11/07/2020

Rosemarie K.

Wow what a FIND! Mark completed and excelled in addressing all of my projects I had listed in a very short amount of time! Very pleasant and respectful! Will refer to my friends. Very efficient in multiple areas!

Description of Work
various projects

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, small appliance repair, woodworking

08/06/2020

Kevin S.

Mark did excellent job on both our bathroom vanity and cedar gate projects. Mark custom installed vanity to fit pipes and installed vessel sink and new lighting. It came out perfect. We also asked Mark to install a red cedar gate and hardware we purchased and it also came out perfect. We are very pleased with both and we will continue to hire Mark for any projects we need done. He was very professional, knowledgeable and went the extra mile to make sure everything was done right.

Description of Work
Bathroom Vanity and Vessel Sink and Install Double Cedar Gate

Category contractors, fencing, home remodeling

05/20/2020

Kevin S.

Mark did excellent job. Assembled the porch swing and installed it into beams of my house on my porch. Came out perfect and my wife loves it. Plus he finished the job at no extra charge even though it went a little over the scheduled time. I plan on hiring Mark again for other projects I have.

Description of Work
Assemble and Install Porch Swing

Category handyman service, woodworking

07/25/2019

Jane G.

Great! All is in good working condition now

Description of Work
Smoke alarm replacement & repair sliding closet door

02/17/2018

Bonnie E.

Excellent! Mark came quickly when I called and was very thorough, respectful and professional. I will definitely be calling on Mark again for future maintenance needs.

Description of Work
Internal toilet tank seal replacement due to leak.

11/13/2016

DEBORAH N.

Excellent - On time and the clean up went well. Very respectful to my home. Would use again and again.

Description of Work
New lighting in the kitchen

Category handyman service, lighting

11/10/2016

Doreen Y.

They did an excellent job! They are very thorough. I would hire them, again.

Description of Work
Landscaping & Gardening

Category landscaping

09/28/2015

Helga S.

Mark came to our home for a preliminary check in August and we agreed to have our glass tile backsplash installed on September 12th. He brought an apprentice and together they installed the glass tile. Additionally Mark installed new electrical outlets to match the new tile color. Mark returned on Sept. 13th to finish the grouting and cleanup. While working with his apprentice, he mentored him in a very professional and uplifting way, which was nice to witness. The job was done perfectly and our kitchen looks amazing. Although it took a bit longer than anticipated, Mark kept his original price. We would definitely consider Mark for future services.

Description of Work
installed glass tile backsplash in kitchen and installed new electrical outlets

Category ceramic tile, electrician, glass repair, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling

08/17/2015

Jennifer D.

Unable to meet on his schedule.

Description of Work
I was never able to have Mark come to give me a quote. I would make myself available then he would say he was going to call and then would call last minute to say he can come now. I was unable to meet with him on a last minute basis.

Category handyman service

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience trying to get a quote for your project. I do try to provide a high level of customer service. As a sole proprietor and being the one performing the work it is some times a challenge to meet all the demands of scheduling time look at new projects. I try to do my best to inform potential clients of my schedule and my availability to go over their project. Sometimes the current project I am working on requires additional work and I have to adjust my appointments. That being said, I want to express my deepest apologies too you for not communicating clearly. I hope that you were able to get your project completed. Mark, Owner Operator of Mark's Handyman Service

06/21/2015

CLARE E.

Mark's attitude and performance is one of a very hard worker. For me, he showed up on time (even a bit early),and also communicated via phone/text. He has a strong work ethic and is very skilled, so he can make good recommendations. I made a change order during my fence project and he handled it well and it turned out better. He is very careful about cleaning up and pays attention to small details. When he worked at my place on a Sunday, he was careful to be quiet until later in the day and also talked to the neighbor about the project to make sure they were okay about his need to walk around the common wall into their backyard patio. He gave me written bids, receipts for his labor and receipts from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Finally, he was very loving to my dog Poppy who barks upon greeting but then is loving to the people she knows are straight up. Mark is very skilled and can give good advice.

Description of Work
Several fix-it jobs including plumbing, electrical, repair, etc. He also built a fence and gate for my back patio, a major project. Also repaired a leak in the roof. And finally, "made pretty" a small patio area near the master bedroom by installing bamboo siding as requested. He also hauled off a number of dead/dying plants and containers, as well as heavy paving stones for which I had no use.

Category fencing, handyman service, landscaping, plumbing, hardscaping

06/17/2015

allison F.

Mark is a joy to work with. He is attentive to detail and we went over every aspect of the job. He responds to texts quickly. The work was well done and you can tell that he takes pride in what he does. I will be hiring him again for other jobs.

Description of Work
Complete landscape overhaul of front yard and two new fences. Old grass front yard was removed. Two new fences designed and built. New drought-tolerant landscape and drip system installed.

Category handyman service, landscaping, plumbing

05/14/2015

Beth F.

Mark is very trustworthy, pleasant, friendly, easy going, honest, and will always be fair about what he charges you. I would meet with him and let him know what we wanted, and he would get the work done. If anything wasn't finished quite right, or I had questions, he would come back and fix it.

Description of Work
Over the years from 2009-2011 Mark refinished floors, expanded doorways, and built a ramp in my mom's condo, installed cabinets and appliances in our kitchen, replaced faucets, installed a dishwasher - he can do plumbing. He remodeled a bathroom in my sister-in-law's house.

Category handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

03/12/2015

Anthony G.

He came by and was given all of the details of what we wanted to do in depth. He provided pricing and seemed very professional and knowledgeable. He suggested changes and additional improvements which we thought were a great idea. He scheduled the work for a date about 4 weeks away, plus or minus a couple of days - because he had a couple of jobs to work on and he was planning a trip. Because he's highly rated on Angie's List, I decided that he was worth waiting for. This is where the trouble started. When he emailed me the quote shortly after the visit, it was a total amount but did not provide a scope of work. I emailed him back asking for confirmation on what that included - namely his suggestions. He came back saying that those items were not included in his bid, and a back and forth ensued where he educated me on how much the extra work costs (because the materials are pricey). It all seemed fair to me and my intention was to proceed with the original plan at the price he'd quoted me. The extra work could be done later. All seemed fine. A few weeks passed, and the date we'd scheduled the work for was approaching. I called him and texted him, to try and confirm what day he'd be starting. No contact back. I called and left a voice mail. no call back. Suddenly, he emails me back and says that he'd cancelled our work because "My questions left him the sense that he wasn't sure if I wanted to proceed with the work". He had already scheduled another job on the dates that were supposedly set aside for us. I tried to call him and left him voice-mail asking him to call me back. I was sure a misunderstanding had ensued and wanted to clear it up - I never indicated to him that I didn't want to proceed with the work just because I had asked about the add-ons. He never called me back. Radio silence. This could have been an honest mistake, but the fact that he ignored my requests to talk, and made no attempt to reschedule the work is unforgivable. I wasted weeks waiting for this person and he most likely was offered a higher paying job so he flaked on me. Not wanting to deal with my questions, he simply ignored me with no apologies. I would only suggest this person to people who enjoy having their time wasted, who won't ask a single question about scope of work, and who like being treated rudely. The best part? The next contractor that bid on the work started right away and did the entire job, including the additional work, for less than this person's bid. UPDATE/ I wish you had spent less time trying to discredit my review and more time simply communicating with me. Specific notes on your post below: - I never asked you to do additional work for free. I was willing to pay more, especially when you showed me how costly the materials were. You did not give me the opportunity to explain this - You told me that I was scheduled, not that the start days was "contingent on the delivery of materials...etc". These materials are not delivered, they would have been picked up at the wholesale vendor down the road. - I never asked you to drive to any craigslist site. I sent you an add that I found and asked you if this material looked good to you; my intent was to buy it and pick it up myself, and have you install it. Yet another opportunity for you to communicate which you passed on and simply made assumptions. - I never asked you to dump anything on school grounds. I did ask you to spread material out on the down slope of my back yard, on property I own, which is about 75 yards from a fence that clearly marks the beginning of school grounds. Bottom line, if you had decided to pass on my work that would have been fair - no harm no foul. I found another handy man to do the work about 5 minutes later. I simply wish you had told me that I was off your schedule so I would not wait four weeks for a job to start that was never going to happen. You seemed like a good guy in person and I wish you the best -

Description of Work
He was going to renovate a portion of my yard, adding decomposed granite to a large section, repairing a retaining wall, removing a planter, and adding landscaping.

Category handyman service

Hello (member name removed). I remember your project well, and I have reviewed our emails to be sure I have the facts right. Basically, a handyman service operates on a slim margin of profit based on estimates of the time involved and the cost of materials. What we can call a misunderstanding began when you asked me to bid a project mid 2013,and then asked to hold off due to your financial problems. I stated to you that it is fine and to contact me when you are ready. About three an one haft months later you called and said you are ready to move forward, I came back out and spent two hours with you at no cost to you and honored the original price. We discussed the changes you wanted and set up a tentative date to start. That start date was contingent on the delivery of materials that would need payment to be scheduled; at such time we did not have a contract. Then you frequently changed the scope (time) of the project or the materials to be used after the bid was submitted while expecting the same price. For example, after I bid and built a fence, you asked me to stain it at no cost, even though this would involve my time and materials. On another occasion, I bid a project involving decomposed granite and then you asked me to cover it with beach rock and flagstone, which would involve extra material and the labor hauling it from the street and placing it. Even though you decided that you did not want to add the extra material cost, you asked me to drive around to Craigslist sites to locate the material at lower costs to you without recognizing this would involve my time. I began to be more uncomfortable about working with you when you requested that I dump excess soil from your yard on the grounds of an adjacent school. Eventually, I decided I could not begin any new jobs for you because I cannot allow myself to get into a situation where my client is changing the job midway or thinking they are getting something very different than what I bid. At that point, on January 30, 2015, I emailed you saying that I could not take on the next phase of your work and suggested you find someone else. I am sorry you had a bad experience but I felt I could no longer work with you because of the series of unreimbursed change orders you requested. Sincerely, Mark Sainz

12/29/2014

Sharon C.

Hung curtains to ceiling. Added new drapery rack, added smoke alarm. assembled dog bed, installed irrigation on 3 raised beds, and 8 pots or plants, hung my Staghorn fern.

Description of Work

Category handyman service, irrigation systems

10/13/2014

Linda A.

He was on time and did most of the fixes on the list. One of the faucets turned into a more challenging fix, and Mark worked his way through it with extra parts from Home Depot. Overall, I was pleased with the work Mark had done

Description of Work
Mark performed various fixes on a place I just moved into. He changed out 4 faucets, did some touch-up painting, painted an accent wall, installed a sliding glass door lock, hung ladder hooks in the garage, and a few other items.

Category glass repair, handyman service, plumbing, interior painters, doors

09/16/2014

Brenda K.

I awoke on a Friday to find water all over my kitchen floor and discovered a leak under the kitchen sink faucet. He came out the next day. Although I thought only the cold side was leaking he checked and discovered the hot side was leaking slightly too and he replaced both valves. The job was completed quickly and I was happy to have it done and get all my under-sink cleaning items back in my cabinet. HOWEVER, about 4 months later (a few weeks ago) I was trying to pull out my spray nozzle and the hose wouldn't go as far as it usually does. I looked under the sink to see what it was caught on and discovered he had inadvertently left the flexible spray nozzle hose under a pipe so that it no longer can be pulled out very far. GRRRR!!! It irritates me that I need to call him to come back and undo the pipes to pull the hose out (or call someone else). This was the result of carelessness. It may seem like a piddly issue... but it limits the use of my sprayer's hose and it's irritating none the less. It shouldn't have happened. At the time after completion I assumed I would use him again. Now I may or may not... I'll see after I call to have my hose removed from the hung-up pipe.

Description of Work
Replaced a leaking valve under kitchen sink.

Category handyman service, plumbing, woodworking

09/04/2014

Keith K.

The process went very well. I contacted Mark to get an estimate on repairing the leak. He came out as planned and gave me his assessment of the problem. He provided several courses of action with no pressure whatsoever on anyone of them. He was very straight forward and told me that the estimate could change if he ran into unexpected problems since he could not be sure of the exact location of the leak until he removed the concrete. He sent me an email as promised within a few days. I had several questions regarding the estimate and he responded to them in a timely fashion by email. Because he was going to be able to fix the leak and repair the concrete at the same time, I decided to go with him. He came when promised and brought two helpers with him. They did run into a few unexpected problems but he resolved them and was able to complete the job within budget. He cleaned up the area nicely and was always mindful of doing the least amount of damage to the surrounding area of the leak. He also cleaned up the area nicely before he left. I really do not know if his price was high or not since I did not get another estimate. For what he had to do, it seemed a bit high but who knows. I mainly hired him because I got the feel that he had pride in his workmanship and would do what it takes to get the job done correctly. My feeling was validated when he actually found the leak and discovered that a connector that was used to connect PVC pipe to the copper pipe was not really the appropriate one that should have been used. Instead of just repairing the connector, he opted to replace a portion of my PVC pipe with copper pipe so that the area underneath my concrete would all be copper piping, rather than part PVC and part copper. He said the copper pipe would be an upgrade from the PVC pipe that was used. He did not charge extra for that. He also was meticulous in trying to match the pattern of the repaired concrete with my original concrete. Lastly, I also hired him because he was very responsive. He always got back to me in a timely fashion and answered my questions. I would definitely hire Mark again. He is knowledgeable and conducts himself in a professional manner. The only thing I might do differently next time is to get a few additional estimates.

Description of Work
Fixed a water main leak that was under my patio concrete.

Category concrete repair, handyman service, plumbing

08/23/2014

Jeanette R.

Mark did a great job with everything--quick, efficient and the price was very good. I will have him back in future weeks to do more work--like he says, he CAN do everything! I am so glad I found him through Angie's List. As a home-owner there is always more maintenance work to do and it is wonderful to have such a personable, reliable person to call on. Thank you, Mark!

Description of Work
Mark did some electrical work--put up 4 outside lights and converted a light switch to a plug. 2 weeks ago he also installed my new towel bars, drilled holes in a cabinet so I could "hide" wires and earthquake-proofed my china cabinet.

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, woodworking

07/13/2014

Toni F.

He was only able to part of it himself but he recommended a good tile person to do the rest.

Description of Work
Fixed falling off tile and water problem in shower.

07/04/2014

Denise M.

Mark is a great guy! Easy to work with and made sure we were completely happy with the installation before leaving. Cleaned up his work are perfectly. We were very happy and I have already referred him to another friend.

Description of Work
Installed new closet doors and baseboard for closed

Category contractors, handyman service, landscaping, custom furniture, woodworking

06/17/2014

Faith C.

Left a message he called back two days later, I already contacted someone else by then.

Description of Work
n/a

04/22/2014

Peggy B.

He is great! I would highly recommend him. His prices are reasonable.

Description of Work
He hung a 200 lbs. chandelier, patched up some holes and painted,and he also fixed a glass shelf in a buffet.

Category electrician, handyman service, interior painters

02/07/2014

Lauri H.

He was wonderful, nice, prompt, and helpful. He determined that it was a faucet in the wall that is causing it. I ended up having a friend fix that faucet. The thing is that he left before that could be fixed so I need to call someone back out to hook up the water on my refrigerator.

Description of Work
Mark's Handyman Service came out to check why my refrigerator was leaking.

02/05/2014

Charles A.

We interviewed Mark because of his excellent reviews in Angie's List. We selected him because we liked his ideas, knowledge, and professionalism. He listened to us as we described our desires. Together we discussed various stair options and, given our small lot, and arrived at the spiral staircase. We were not disappointed. Mark was very careful about code compliance. He pays attention to even the smallest detail - he wants it right. He takes great pride in his work. At different and quot;decision points,and quot; we discussed, he listened, and we moved forward. In the end, he met our time deadline and came in very close to budget. Working with him was a very good experience. Should we have more home needs, we will definitely use Mark.

Description of Work
Mark replaced our patio cover with an elevated deck including spiral staircase.

01/29/2014

Anne Marie S.

Impeccable detail with all tasks at hand.

Description of Work
General pick up items. Installation of screwless duplex receptacle covers, remove old and install oil rubbed bronze door knobs.

Category electrician, handyman service, landscaping, lawn service

Yeaman Auto Body Inc

All work LIFETIME GUARANTEED. We work with all insurance companies to represent you. We make sure you get quality repairs and you are informed when insurance companies are trying to put inferior parts on your car. We can also test the metal to be sure the parts are factory strength.

Sunny Coast Property Management

Get your home listed ASAP today. No long contracts required. We specialize in managing, screening, legal contracts, disclosures, maintenance, and 24/7 online accounting. Through our dedication to you, your property, and your tenants, we achieve the highest and most consistent return for your investment. The difference between a Property Manager and a great Property Manager is that the good ones will make your life easier, lets you take care of things that matter to you the most, generates more income for you than you can do on your own, while improving the condition of your home. I intimately know what some of my customers are going through when they realize they need a Property Manager to manage one of their homes. For a lot of families, their Rental Property is a main source of income, it was what they depend on. It was what me and my family depended on all those years ago, and it under no circumstances be allowed to fail. Property Managers should not only help, but they should realize that they are in the position to save the day.

HomeTurf

HomeTurf is an artificial turf installation company with over 13 years experience in the trade. We pride ourselves on our impeccable lawns and our dedication to a positive customer experience throughout our sales and construction process. We are licensed, bonded and insured. Our sales representatives and support personnel are extremely courteous and professional. We want to work to earn your confidence and exceed your expectations.

Offers by HomeTurf	 on Angi

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, PayPal

Handyman Service. Carpentry, Doors, Windows, Decks, Fence, Drywall, Painting, Plumbing, & Electrical, Irrigation, Low voltage lighting,

Ask for details.