GREGG'S CYCLES

Founded 1932 • With Angi since May 2005

3.9

7007 WOODLAWN AVE NE

Seattle, WA 98115

Gregg's Cycle is a family run business that has stayed in the same family since 1932. Since that time every employee has made it their goal to provide the best service possible to our customers....

01/14/2015

James A.

10/08/2012

Jim E.

cle

Description of Work
This happened at the Alderwood branch of Greg's cycle. I choose to take the bike to a mechanic as I didn't have the time to work on it myself. Also, for some odd reason, no formal paperwork was done on the bike. I gave the tech my name and phone number and he wrote it down on a piece of scrap paper. I thought that was odd but as he offered to make the repair on the same day, I went ahead with it. They replaced the back wheel on my son's bike and wanted to return the bike to me in what I judged to be an unsafe condition. The issue was changing the rear wheel from a quick release type wheel to a bolted axle type rear wheel. The bike is used by my son to commute to work and he is a very strong rider. The quick release wheel could not be tightened down enough to stay centered in the stays or at least, that's the theory. The tech who diagnosed the issue seemed to know what he was doing. I should mention that I rode this bike for about a year and never had an issue with the rear wheel but I have a good feel for what a bike can or can't do. My son is strong and very h****** bikes. The bike in question is not a road bike but a heavy semi-mountain type bike with big clincher rims and tires. When I picked up the bike, I noticed that the axle was recessed in the bolt on the left side of the rear dropout. The bolt covered about two thirds of the axle (several threads of the axle were not covered--the axle was too short for the bike). The tech then tried to tell me that some bikes that don't have quick release wheels come that way. Of course, I told him that that was not true and checked their floor stock and found that all of the bolted wheels either had an axle that protruded from the bolt or were at least flush. I would have been shocked to find anything different. Bolts always cover threads. This may seem trivial to some but not properly securing a wheel to a bike can cause an accident and especially more so for a strong rider on a heavy bike. Also, the bike is used for night commuting at times. We do not have perfect, bump free roads in North Seattle. The manager eventually apologized to me but was slow in getting to that point. I offered to pay them for their time but there was no charge. The bike is currently off line and stored in my garage until I decide what to do with it. I will add that I'm a very experienced cyclist having ridden dozens of centuries, Ramrod, etc. I have done all the maintenance on my personal road bikes for many, many years. One time, I had an airline break a few spokes for me during transit. I had to take the rear wheel of that bike apart in the parking lot of the San Diego Airport and replace a few spokes and true the wheel. When you ride in the mountains and canyons and on all kinds of roads, it becomes second nature to be aware of the condition and safety of your machine. It really bothered me to have someone try to return a bike to me in such condition and pass it off as no big deal. I'll admit to being a purist but when you're out in the mountains on a 100 mile ride, you don't want any wheel or other issues. Why would I expect anything less for a family member or a friend? In the future, I may buy parts from Greg's but I will look for a bike mechanic I can trust elsewhere. Typically, serious bike mechanics are hard core riders and would never, ever do something like this.

03/31/2012

Glenn C B.

It went well! I thought the price was reasonable. I paid more to have a bike packed.

Description of Work
They packed up my bicycle so it could be shipped to Chicago.

08/08/2008

Jennifer W.

Mixed bag. Workshop people are very helpful and enthusiastic. Shoe staff are terrible; sluggish,unwilling to offer info, and don't seem to care/know much. I have shopped there 20 times and have had enough. In general, not helpful, stressed out, and just after your money. They do not invest in customer loyalty and I doubt if I will go back. Souless experience

Description of Work
Multiple equipment purchases and 1 product installation.

Category

Thank you for taking the time to review our shop and your experience. I'm sorry that we didn't supply the customer service you should have received. We do our best to supply excellent customer service to everyone but we know that sometimes we miss our mark. We have reorganized our shoe fitting area to help facilitate better customer service and I hope we can serve you again in the future with a better outcome. Thanks, Ryan Putnam ryanp@greggscycles.com

09/30/2005

LISA D.

MADE AN APPOINTMENT, GOT WORK DONE QUICKLY. RECOMMENDED LESS EXPENSIVE WORK - SAID MORE EXPENSIVE WORK UNNECESSARY. VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE, GOOD ADVICE ON OVERALL BIKE CARE.

Description of Work
NEW CHAIN FOR BICYCLE AND GENERAL TUNEUP. INCLUDED INSPECTION OF GEARS, TIRES.

05/18/2005

JOCELYN C.

THEY TAKE GREAT CARE OF OUR BIKES AND KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE AND HOW TO FIX THEM. THEY ALWAYS GET THINGS DONE IN A TIMELY MANNER AND WE USE THEM FOR MOST OF OUR BICYCLE MAINTENANCE JOBS.

Description of Work
LABOR TUNE-UP FOR TWO BIKES, REPLACED CHAINS (ON BOTH BIKES) AND REPLACED GEAR SHIFT ON ONE BIKE AS WELL AS STRAIGHTENING OUT BENT TIRE.

05/11/2005

DEL L.

THE CYCLING SHOP MECHANICS WENT THROUGH A FULL TUNE UP AFTER AN ACCIDENT. PARTS WERE REPLACED THAT COULD NOT BE REPAIRED AND THAT INCLUDED WHEEL TRUEING. I WAS TRAINING FOR THE IRON MAN TRIATHALON AND CRASHED A COUPLE OF WEEKS BEFORE SHIPPING MY BIKE. THE SERVICE WAS OUTSTANDING.

Description of Work
GREGG'S GREENLAKE CYCLE TUNED UP MY BIKE AFTER A SERIOUS CYCLING ACCIDENT WHERE THE WHEELS WERE BENT.

05/06/2005

JEANNE H.

THIS IS A FULL SERVICE SHOP. THEY OFFER NOT ONLY MECHANICAL SERVICES, BUT THEY ALSO HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF INVENTORY OF BICYCLE PARTS, CLOTHING AND NEW BICYCLES.

Description of Work
THEY DID AN OVERHAUL PROCEDURE ON MY BICYCLE FOR SPRING CLEANING. IT INCLUDED REPLACING TIRES AND OVERHAULING BEARINGS.

Bicycles
    MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Visa, Financing Available

Bicycles, bicycle repair, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, bicycle accessories