Healthy Paws Pet Insurance

Founded 2009 • With Angi since April 2012

PO Box 50034

Bellevue, WA 98015

Additional contact name - Rob Jackson. Additional Website - www.gohealthypaws.com. Additional DBA - Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation.

11/25/2020

Marcia B.

I started with Healthy Paws on 1.24.19 with a 18 week old Minature poodle. My premium was $32.18. Last year, 1.24.2020 it went to $41.57. I just received notice as of 1.24.2021 it is going to $54/month. That is a 68% increase since I started, and I have never put in a claim. They say it is because people in NY State used a lot of insurance. It is too vague of a statement when the State of NY has been basically closed since March 2020 due to COVID. This company GOUGES THEIR CLIENTS!! DO NOT USE THEM

Description of Work
Premium rate hike

Category pet insurance

[Member Name Removed], We are so sorry to hear that you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and we completely understand your concerns. Our management team works hard to keep our premiums as low as possible while still providing comprehensive coverage. New technology, advancements in veterinary treatments, and overall claim costs are taken into consideration when assessing our rates. Premiums are determined based on the rates and rating rules filed and approved within each state’s Department of Insurance. These reflect the cost of treatment, advances in veterinary medicine (including specialty care), your individual pet’s breed, gender, age and other factors, in addition to the overall claims experience for the program within the region your pet resides. As a result, we need to increase the premium level for all pets in your state so you and your pet can have continued access to the best veterinary care. All pet insurance companies, no matter how they market their benefits, will raise rates to keep up with the rapidly rising cost of specialty and emergency care. We do our best to be transparent regarding annual premium increases by including this information on the Frequently Asked Questions page of our website. Give your pup a hug from us. The Healthy Paws Team

03/15/2020

Caitlyn D.

I have just been notified that my rate will increase by 36% compared to last year (113% increase since we started with Healthy Paws). This is an abusive rate hike as, due to pre-existing conditions, I am unlikely to find similar coverage from a different insurer. After my rate hike last year, Healthy Paws stated they would provide documentation showing an increase in more frequent and more expensive claims. I spent months following up on this promise to which Healthy Paws kept apologizing for the delay in providing documentation, but in the end, no documentation was ever provided. This year there is an even steeper rate increase. They are citing the same reasons as last year, but again not providing any documentation. My experience with filing claims with Healthy Paws has always been a positive one, but the transparency of these rate hikes is extremely disappointing, especially as others in my community aren’t seeing the same rate hikes with their insurance companies. If I’m able to find another insurance company that will cover pre-existing conditions, I will certainly be looking to switch.

Description of Work
Pet Insurance

Category pet insurance

We truly appreciate that you have been a valuable member of the Healthy Paws Family over the years and thank you for the positive words regarding our super easy claims process. We understand your concerns and want you to know that our management team works very hard to keep our premiums as low as possible while still providing comprehensive coverage. New technology, advancements in veterinary treatments, and overall claim costs are taken into consideration when assessing our rates. Premiums are determined based on the rates and rating rules filed and approved within your state’s Department of Insurance. These reflect the cost of treatment, advances in veterinary medicine, your individual pet’s breed, gender, age and other factors, in addition to the overall claims experience for the program within the region your pet resides. As a result, we need to increase the premium level for all pets in your state so you and your pet can have continued access to the best veterinary care. Rest assured, we will never penalize you with higher rates for making claims. All pet insurance companies, no matter how they market their benefits, will raise rates to keep up with the rapidly rising cost of veterinary care. We do our best to be transparent regarding annual premium increases by including this information on the "Frequently Asked Questions" page of our website. Please give your furbaby a big hug from us! The Healthy Paws Team

10/30/2019

Frank S.

I first purchased the policy for our Cocker Spaniel last Sept when he was 4 months old. With $250 deductible and 90% coverage, the premium was $41.74 per month. Now one year later they premium was raised to $51.76 per month. That is a 24% increase!!! To make matter worse, the same coverage for the same age and breed of dog would currently cost a NEW subscriber only $39.66 per month. When I questioned this, they just gave me double talk saying if I cancelled and re-enrolled I would have to worry about pre existing conditions... It is clear this company takes advantage of current clients. DO NOT DEAL WITH HEALTHY PAWS, by the time your pet may actually need it, the premiums will have become unaffordable.

Description of Work
Pet Insurance for our Dog

Category pet insurance

[Member Name Removed] - We understand that no one likes any form of premium increase. We also know you haven't had to file a claim and we hope that you never have to--this means your pet is healthy and accident free. Our management team works hard to keep our premiums as low as possible while still providing comprehensive coverage. New technology, advancements in veterinary treatments, and overall claim costs are taken into consideration when assessing our rates. Your monthly premium is going up because the increase in claim payments has been faster than the premium increases in your state. As a result, we need to increase the premium level for all pets in your state so you and your pet can have continued access to the best veterinary care. The pricing for your current policy is per the rating plan approved by your state's Insurance Department and we are not permitted to deviate from those rates for existing policyholders. The quote you generated recently is the approved pet insurance product filing for NEW accounts only. Because of Insurance Department regulations, the information our team provided regarding the need to cancel/re-enroll to acquire the lower premium is correct. All pet insurance companies, no matter how they market their benefits, will raise rates to keep up with the rapidly rising cost of veterinary care. We do our best to be transparent regarding annual premium increases by including this information on the "Frequently Asked Questions" page of our website. We’re sorry to lose you as a policyholder and hope you and your pet stay well. The Healthy Paws Team

08/18/2019

Bret P.

Horrid. They keep requested info I sent, as if they're they're trying to avoid the claim. They don't return phone calls or email. There's a posting on Reddit that says the owner of the company is a White Nationalist and Trump supporter. Does Angie's list really want to recommend a company like this?

Description of Work
Based on the recommendation of Angie's List, I got Pet Ins. from this company.

Category pet insurance

[Member Name Removed] - We're sorry that your pup had to have surgery. We apologize that our current customer service has not met yours or our expectations. We recognize that our hold times have been longer than expected recently and appreciate your patience. We have also been helping an unusually large number of sick pets at this time and that has increased our claims processing time. We have been proactively adding more customer care staff so that all policyholders can get the their claims and customer care issues resolved as quickly as possible. The claims you submitted during the month of August have been processed. Explanation of Benefits were sent for each claim to the email address in your account. As to the comments seen on Reddit, they have no basis in fact. We hope your buddy is doing well in his recovery.

02/05/2019

Linda B.

For the last 42 years I have fostered and adopted rescue dogs, several at a time (one time, five!), most usually those with special needs. I've tried three other pet insurances, but the loopholes with the deductibles and the resistance toward claims, as well as the copious paperwork and delays, left me very discouraged. Then I found Healthy Paws, and my current rescue dogs now have far (far!) better health insurance than I do. Deductibles are not specific to EACH type of problem per year (which can be huge if a pet has multiple issues or mishaps), but rather one very reasonable deductible for ALL problems that occur in a year. Filing claims is easy online. Claims are settled very quickly--frequently within 48 hours. And they cover what they say they will--no sneaky loopholes. But the best part is that I don't feel penalized because I take on rescues; if I don't know a dog's complete history, or have records available from before the rescue, they don't reject me as have some other companies. Great team.

Description of Work
Pet insurance from 2015 through present

11/28/2018

David H.

Great service, excellent response time, best pet insurance I ever had.

Description of Work
I have now added all our pets on this plan

11/16/2018

David H.

I found Healthy Paws after searching Angie's list and after having a bad experience of coverage with a previous company. They are fantastic. I had a cat that unknown to us had a terminal disease, I submitted the 3 vet bills leading to this discovery, and they have covered a majority of the bill. In addition they refunded some my deceased pets last premium payment. This does not cover the loss of the pet, but it exceeded anything I could have hoped fore. Thank You

Description of Work
Used the policy on a vet bill.

Category pet insurance

[Member Name Removed], We're so sorry for your loss. We're glad we could play a part in assuring that Tig had access to the best available medical care. Give Luna and Lily big hugs for us! Sincerely, The Healthy Paws Team

11/30/2017

ELLEN G.

Their response has been fast and courteous for all interactions. It's rough when your pet is ill. And HealthyPaws is there when you need it.

Description of Work
We selected the 90% coverage insurance plan with $100 annual deductible.

08/02/2017

Jonathan B.

The price appears reasonable for the claimed coverage. I cannot comment on actual coverage as no claims have been made at this time.

Description of Work
Pet Insurance

07/08/2017

Thomas H.

We pay $70 a month for both. They are friendly, caring, prompt and pay very well for an insurance company.

Description of Work
I have two cats and we have health policies for them both.

05/25/2017

Laurie A.

They are excellent. They have an app on my phone. They are a life saver. They really were good. I have an automatic withdrawal from my checking account for like $36 or $37 a month but it is so worth it. I don't have to worry about paying the bill. They paid out a h*** of a lot more. The bill was about $2800. The phone app is excellent to keep track of your claims and keep check of your dogs health records. Not regular records, just for the care that they pay for which is any kind of emergency: any emergencies at all.Their customer service is so helpful to get all the documentation from the hospital. They basically will leave you out of it if they can deal with the hospital. They know what the codes are just like a human being and they were on top of it with that. It is really convenient. You also get notifications from them like if they didn't get something they'll let you know that they are waiting for it. They're not doctors just insurance agents. The customer service, everybody I dealt with was very professional.

Description of Work
It is for pet insurance.

03/08/2017

Robin S.

Angie's list won't let me note that our cost was a $500 deductible, with monthly fee of $36.

Description of Work
We have found Healthy Paws to be simply OUTSTANDING. We adopted our pit/boxer mix at age 7, and took out a policy for him after 3 months, due to not knowing his history. We purchased a policy with a $500 deductible, to lower our monthly payments. Our dog was unexpectedly was diagnosed at 10 years (January 2017) with a Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen - an aggressive cancer in dogs - stage 3. It is very hard to diagnose this before the tumor bursts, which is what happened. Not only did we receive excellent care at UPENN Vet, but Healthy Paws covered almost everything - surgery, meds, oncology, hospital stay for recovery, even the collar (cone of shame), to precent him from licking. The only thing they did not cover were the I'm Yunnity supplements (not yet FDA approved, made in China) - I will say, though, I'd still pay for them ($395 for 6 bottles of pills) - PENN did a small study on using these mushroom supplements and were shocked that they seemed to aid in shrinking the tumors in their small study (15 dogs). There is more info on Penn's site, and I'm Yunnity's site about it. Penn vet surgeon recommended this, as well as another supplement (Yunnan Baiyo) that Healthy Paws did pay for. Regarding customer service, They were outstanding, and empathetic. We were do very distraught to learn about our dog's initial diagnosis and surgery to remove the tumor and spleen, and still lose him a month later after another tumor burst. But he was in stage 3. Healthy Paws staff were so very kind and turned around checks to pay for almost all our expenses. When we're emotionally ready to welcome another pup into our home, I'm signing up again. Costs - we paid $36/month for coverage. I've found that a bit higher than the other insurance companies, and I'm not certain if that was due to his age (7), his size (60-70 lbs), or living near a big city (Philly). However, he was completely covered.

02/21/2017

Sean T.

We have used them for years. I will continue to use them basically forever. I’m very happy with their service and you can upload a claim on line which is very easy. You take the receipt from your Vet and then you scan and upload it online and you get a check right away.

Description of Work
I recently used them for a claim.

Category animal shelter

10/31/2016

beverly S.

Went well, thanks. Got out a piece of copper tubing, one end cut: would have killed the dog. Applied for insurance payment and it was there very rapidly, paid almost all of the bill. This was my first experience with pet insurance and it was great.

Description of Work
Removal of foreign body from Basset body.

08/09/2016

Barbara V.

The company processes claims quickly. What I didn't realize is that they DON'T reimburse for vet costs and once you have a claim you can never increase your coverage. They also don't calculate deductible like we are used to for people health insurance. They apply the % of coverage first and then the deductible ... so it takes longer to meet your deductible. I would use them again but would select a higher reimbursement percentage up front (knowing that they don't reimburse vet costs).

Description of Work
Needed pet insurance

05/25/2016

ELLEN G.

Very smooth payment of vet costs covered under our insurance plan. This is terrific insurance for the unexpected. You use their website to upload your paid vet invoice, they promptly contact your vet for additional information, make a decision, explain their decision to you, and if appropriate send you a check. We are very pleased. This is our first experience with pet insurance and consider it essential these days. We are so grateful to Angie List user evaluations that helped us find this insurance. The $25 cost represents our monthly premium at this time

Description of Work
Promptly paid for vet insured procedures - paying $503 of $670 of covered procedures.

05/24/2016

ELLEN G.

Having adopted 2 kittens with an unknown past, we quickly searched Angie's List for member experiences with pet insurance. This helped us select Healthy Paws. Our choice was the plan which provided 90% coverage after a $100 annual deductible. They were very prompt in processing claims - you upload an image of your bill to their website - if needed, they contact the vet for additional information - and within days you get a decision, complete explanation and a check in the mail. Their website is easy to use - even for the casual user - (important, since you don't plan to use it often). The website tells you where your claim is in processing. The insurance does not cover maintenance procedures (annual vaccines, dental cleaning) and the doctor's visit fee. But we are very pleased. And happy that Angie's List was there for us!

Description of Work
They promptly paid for veterinary treatments that were included in our pet insurance plan.

11/10/2015

Tina C.

I have been lucky so far and have not had to use the insurance but I feel so much better having the peace of mind that if something happens I won't have to make a decision of life or death due to the expense of surgery etc.

Description of Work
I pay $44 per month for coverage on my pug Frankie. It covers pretty much everything except for Office Visit Fee. I chose to have a $100 annual deductible and my coverage is for 90% reimbursement.

09/22/2015

Michelle B.

I pay $50 premium a month and it gets me $250 deductibles every year for my veterinary bills and then after that everything is covered at 90% less the basic office visits, veterinary exams which are not covered. But after the $250 deductible pretty much everything I’ve had done with him has been covered at 90%. We probably spent well over $6,000 on veterinarians over the last couple of months, everything has been covered at 90%, except the $250 deductibles, which has been really helpful. It’s really easy-to-use. You just take a picture of your invoice through the app and send it to them and then they review it and within a week or so I get my refund back.

Description of Work
We used Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for pet insurance. I went for a claim that I made to cover my veterinary bills.

04/11/2015

Noor A.

First: Signing up was very easy. All they needed was a credit card and for the vet to send over our dog's medical records. The problem came up any time we filed a claim. Between needing invoices and full records each time, it was a hassle. More importantly, of the claims we filed, ALL of them were initially denied (but ultimately covered as they should have been from the get go). It appears that they may just automatically deny claims initially to see who will put up a fuss. For $500 a year, who wants to put up with the hassle? The claim they most recently denied was for my dog's GI distress (regular vomiting over a couple of days - the vet ran blood and fecal tests, and ultimately prescribed antibiotics to treat an infection.) This was denied as 'preventative care' even though the vet clearly stated on the record and invoice this was an illness visit. Finally, having paid $1000 over two years, I decided it was time to cancel. This took a total of 2 hours on the phone, plus multiple emails back and forth plus three phone calls to accomplish. And I'm still not confident they're actually going to cancel and not charge my card next month. My recommendation is to save your money on premiums and just put it in savings in case of emergency. If they actually did what they were supposed to, it would be worth for peace of mind. But as is, I can't recommend their services. Ultimately, they may be the best of a bad bunch (and pet insurance companies tend to be shady) - but that doesn't mean they deserve your business!

Description of Work
Provided pet insurance for one dog over 24 months. We were on the 90% coverage, $100 deductible plan for $40 a month.

Category pet insurance

[Member name removed], We’re sorry that you were not satisfied with your policy. Our claims processing is based on the medical records provided by you or your veterinarian. When Madeline had her first vet visit in August 2014, we received all of her medical records up to that date. Fortunately, she did not need to see her vet again until April 2015! Since our claims decisions are based on Madeline’s medical records, we just needed the records from August 2014 up to her April visit. We did cover Madeline’s first vet visit in August 2014, but that visit went towards the deductible you chose at enrollment, which is why you did not receive any reimbursement. On her most recent visit, the invoice and doctor’s notes did not indicate any illness, but were categorized as wellness/preventative. Additionally, we don’t see any prescribed antibiotics for Madeline’s most recent visit. If you do have an invoice for that and it’s dated 4/10 or earlier, feel free to submit it for processing. Client’s who want to cancel their policy can do so by going to there online Healthy Paws account. It’s looks like within a hour of your call to cancel we sent you a link to cancel your policy online. We apologize that the link did not work for you and that you had to email us after calling. The Healthy Paws Team

03/26/2015

Jared F.

I purchased pet insurance for my GSD in April, 2014, when my pup was 3 months old. I researched online and found Healthy Paws as the most highly rated. Currently I pay $38 for a $250 deductible with 80% coverage. The monthly premium does go up every year. I adopted an 8yr old GSD and got an estimate of around $58 a month. I decided not to purchase for this dog..... A relative left out girl scout cookies and extra strength Advil in a spare bedroom and our GSDs got into them. We took them to the Vet ER in our area and they kept our 1 yr old for 2 days to flush his kidneys, give charcoal, etc. I submitted a claim to Healthy Paws when he was released and it was painless. The only hoop I had to jump through was furnish ALL my pups records from when we brought him home. After that was uploaded the claim was approved in one day and we received a check within 3 days. His follow up blood test submission went very smooth since all the records were now on file with Healthy Paws. That claim was approved in a day and we received a check within 3 days. Highly recommended, but make sure you have all your vet records to submit on first claim.

Description of Work
Paid for veterinary care

02/17/2015

SUSAN M.

I called Healthy Paws Pet Insurance on January 20, 2015 to inquire about their insurance coverage, cost, what was covered, what was not covered, how payments were made and much more. The representative answered all my questions and walked me through the sign-up process. Prior to calling Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, I researched the top-rated pet insurance companies on the internet for what each company offered, what was covered, what was not covered, premiums, payments, etc. Healthy Paws Pet Insurance HANDS DOWN was the front runner. I have had pet insurance before through other companies and was not pleased with them. So often after submitting a claim, things were denied or not paid appropriately (they would pay/reimburse for usual and customary costs not what you had to pay your veterinarian). With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, if you incur a covered expense, they reimburse you the cost you pay (depending on your reimbursement and deductible level you chose), not what is the "usual and customary cost" of the service. They offer different levels of reimbursement and deductible options which is helpful. I chose the 90% reimbursement with a $250 deductible. There is a 15 day waiting period for accident or illness after getting your policy. Depending on the breed of dog being insured, there may be a waiting period for any genetic issue. For a German Shepherd dog, there is a one year waiting period for hip dysplasia. I specifically purchased this insurance because of the breed disposition of hip and/or elbow dysplasia. I wanted to make sure that if or when our dog developed any of these issues, that we could afford to do the surgery on her. I highly recommend this company for pet insurance.

Description of Work
When I called Healthy Paws Pet Insurance I was able to speak with a representative who was able to answer all my questions regarding insuring my 4 month old German Shepherd puppy.

01/12/2015

CARRIE W.

I never had to use it. I got them because they are highly rated.

Description of Work
I got the pet insurance from Healthy Paws Pet Insurance.

12/30/2014

Carey S.

Only had insurance for 3 weeks when our dachshund was attacked by coyotes. Had made one $50 monthly payment and they paid for over $1000 of vet bills. Paid eithin 7 days of receipt of bills.

Description of Work
Pet insurance

12/11/2014

Rodney K.

This pet insurance company bases their payment reimbursement decisions on symptoms exclusive of a specific diagnosis. Our cat was diagnosed with Pancreatitis prior to our enrollment with symptoms of vomiting, lethargy, and refusal to eat. We realized that medical bills associated with this condition would not be covered since it was a pre existing condition. Later, our cat was diagnosed with IBD with similar symptoms of vomiting, lethargy, and refusal to eat. Although this is technically a different illness, we were denied reimbursement because the symptoms were similar. This seems unfair to me since many conditions have similar symptoms but may not be related at all. I would not waste my money on this pet insurance. We did not receive one penny over the course of the 1-2 years that we paid premiums.

Description of Work
Provided a pet insurance policy

Category pet insurance

It is always difficult for us to deny a claim for one of our pet parents. We base all of our decisions off the signs and/or symptoms noted in your pet's medical records by your veterinarian, not on a diagnosis. Butters symptoms of vomiting, not eating and lethargy were first noted prior to his enrollment in April of 2013 and never completely resolved. We wish you and yours a happy and healthy New Year. The Healthy Paws Team
    Animal Rescues/Shelters
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Veterinarians & Pet Insurance.

NA