Japanese Auto Masters

Founded 1982 • With Angi since August 2007

3012 Holland Rd

Virginia Beach, VA 23453

Japanese Auto Masters was founded in 1982 by Tommy and Cindi Potter in a small building shop close to the Virginia Beach oceanfront. Tommy originated Japanese Auto Masters to address the needs of consumers driving Japanese-made vehicles at a time when there were no independent repair service centers that specialized exclusively in all Japanese makes and models. The only available option for the repair of Japanese automobiles was high-priced dealerships. Our customers wanted alternatives. With this in mind, Tom set about creating the premier independent full-service shop catering to the owners of Japanese and Asian-made vehicles right here in Virginia Beach. In recent years Japanese Auto Masters has evolved to include maintenance and service to Ford, GM & Chrysler vehicles as well. Tom and Cindi are both lifelong residents of Virginia Beach who continue to own and operate the business today. Japanese Auto Masters was built on integrity, trust and quality ~ words that are evident in all we do; from our Service Advisors, Parts Department and Clerical Staff to our highly-skilled ASE Technicians. You will find courteous, helpful people and a warm friendly atmosphere that welcomes you each and every time you visit. Stop by even if it’s just to see our facility and meet our staff. We look forward to serving you soon....

10/26/2018

BETH W.

We have used Japanese Auto Masters for years and have the utmost trust in them. We get our two Fords and PT Cruiser repaired at JAM and they always do great work and are very professional.

Description of Work
Our go-to mechanics

10/18/2018

John S.

Excellent, very friendly people. I was recommend there by a friend.

Description of Work
Replace front struct, rotate tires and oil change.

10/18/2018

Anne L.

They are wonderful, I've been taking my car there for 10 years and I will recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They did an oil change, inspection, and airconditioning service.

06/02/2017

Jerry W.

I would absolutely use them again.

Description of Work
They provide routine auto service.

05/02/2017

linda S.

Very well. This is a long established business in the area. Owners are members of the community. They are kind, honest people. I have utmost confidence in their work.

Description of Work
check engine light: exhaust system issues. General routine maintenance.

Category auto repair, car inspections

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. We appreciate your continued business and kind words.

03/10/2017

Claire C.

I have found them listed (on Angie's List). They had good ratings.

Description of Work
We've had different things done with them at other times, but I can't remember what they did this particular time.

01/23/2017

Hunter A.

It went great. If you're looking for high quality repair, these are the guys. They aren't the cheapest in town, and some parts of their service experience are a bit over the top (very nice waiting room, etc), but they'll do you right.

Description of Work
Strut bearing replacement

01/23/2017

Hunter A.

Great. These guys are pros. Price wasn't super cheap, but quality and professionalism were excellent.

Description of Work
Replaced a suspension bearing. About $500.

11/17/2016

Mark M.

The next day I received a phone call from JAM at 11:12 am to tell me what they found and what they recommended. Turns out I needed exactly what I thought which was all new spark plugs and ignition coils. I was quoted a price of $628 which I thought was a little high but the whole reason I brought it in was because I didn't have time to fix it myself and I've got a 1500 mile round trip planned for next week. JAM also performed a complimentary maintenance inspection and found several other issues. They emailed a list of these issues with pictures and listed under categories of needing immediate or future attention. I am embarrassed to admit the pictures they showed me of my radiator cap and engine coolant. Needless to say the Engine Coolant flush and replace for $167 was a no brainer. They also recommended a transmission fluid flush and replace for $180 which I also had done. At 3:27 PM JAM called to tell me that my truck was ready for pick up. They are only open until 5 PM so it could have been an issue getting there before they closed but I supposed I could have paid over the phone and picked it up later. When I got inside my truck I found that JAM had left a bag of cookies with a note saying they thought I was one smart cookie for choosing them to service my vehicle. I agree! I was very happy with the customer service and the work that was completed. I was also able to take advantage of an online coupon and received a discount of $50. I have read in other reviews elsewhere that some customers received and new customer discount of 5 or 10% off which was not offered to me. Regardless, I am happy that my truck is ready for my trip and JAM has a new customer. I will definitely bring it back for any service it needs in the future.

Description of Work
My 2004 3.4L 6 Cyl Toyota Tundra was not running well and the check engine light had just come on. After reading reviews I decided to give JAM a try. I called to make an appointment and used their early bird drop off service. During the brief phone conversation I told him what I thought the problem was and we discussed maybe replacing the timing belt while it was in for service. Given the mileage when it was replaced last, the current mileage and the time of year (almost Christmas) and JAM advice, I decided to wait until after the holidays for that service.

Category auto repair, transmission repair, radiator service

08/23/2016

Teresa C.

After looking on Angie's list to find a reptutable mechanic I came across the Japanese Auto Masters. Appeared to have high grades so I thought I would give them a try. They diagnoised the noise on the lhs rear of the vehicle as needing new brake pads, shoes, and to replace a caliper that was sticking. They said it would be $1400! I said "Are you insane! I have never paid that much for a brake job." I proceeded to told them to stop what they are doing, put the car back together, I'll come and pick it up after work. I called around and one honest mechanic said if they replaced everything new it would be hard to charge $1000. To say the least I paid $568 to get it the brake pads, shoes and caliper replaced. That is a savings of almost $900! I will never go back or recommend anyone go to Japanese Auto Masters, unless you have money to burn.

Description of Work
Rear brakes needed replacing on an Acura TL

02/28/2016

Blake M.

I have been taking my Jeep to JAM for 5 years now and could not be happier with the customer service and "teaching moments" I receive whenever I service my vehicle. My Jeep is my well-being and I try to understand as much as I can when it comes to its performance and maintenance standards. JAM has been an integral part of that learning process. The JAM professionalism and expertise is why I keep coming back. I feel like family everytime I visit. This past visit was not different. I felt completely comfortable with dropping my vehicle of for service. When I picked it up I was extremely satisfied with the service and will continue to come back in the future along with telling my friends and family about JAM.

Description of Work
vehicle inspection- replace license plate bulb pressure check on coolant system- replaced hose and clip

Category auto repair, car inspections

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. We appreciate your business and your continued customer loyalty. We hope that every customer feels this way about their experience with us. Our technicians and advisors want to make sure the customer understands exactly what needs to be done and why. See you next time.

02/27/2016

Adrienne S.

Great! I have been a customer of Japanese Auto Master for years, they took good care of my 2002 Toyota Rav4 for nearly 15 years and I trust them completely with my new Subaru. They have always been communicative, honest and fair.

Description of Work
Standard 3,000-5,000 mile service including oil change

Category auto repair

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your business and your continued customer loyalty. We appreciate it more than you know.

01/10/2016

Jerry W.

Great. All done on time, with usual high quality. I brought it in because of strange noise coming from the engine compartment. They investigated to see if it was an alternator issue, water pump issue, A/C issue. Found out it was the latter. Informed me of such and what the cost estimate was to fix. Fixed it, plus the other work mentioned above. The CV Boot kit work was based on their notice of leakage during an earlier visit. Usual high quality work. Cost estimate was accurate. Great job, as always.

Description of Work
Oil/Filter/drain plug gasket; installed new Air Conditioning Compressor w/clutch; added freon and A/C oil dye; replaced front left CV Boot Kit (inner & outer); declogged winshield washer sprayer;

Category auto repair

We are happy to hear you were pleased with the work performed on your vehicle. The folks here at Japanese Auto Masters believe in honesty and integrity. We believe in keeping the customer informed along the way as the repairs are being completed. Thank you for your business, we appreciate it more than you know.

10/24/2015

david T.

Absolutely perfect. Their service is impeccable and very friendly and honest staff. Been a client for many years with four vehicle seen by them. This is the only place that I take my vehicles from state inspections to major work.

Description of Work
Corrected tie rods mounted upside down by another place, mounted 4 tires, aligned vehicle.

Category auto repair, car tires, car inspections

07/23/2015

James M.

I previously had Japanese Auto Masters perform a pre-purchase inspection and estimate of subsequent maintenance on a used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse (GS V6). The estimate was fair in pricing - not the cheapest in the area, but not price gouging. The shop also recommended me to hold off on certain maintenance as it wasn't necessary. I appreciated their honesty in this regard. When it came to the actual maintenance, I dropped off my vehicle on a Friday afternoon and headed out of town. They locked up my vehicle at their property and began work on the following Monday. To my surprise, the work was completed a day early, on Tuesday (I was originally quoted for 2 full days of work). The work performed was visually clean and the car is running great as of writing this review. Upon final receipt, the actual cost was pretty much spot on with the estimate. Some shops don't inform you of things like hazardous materials fees up front and this can surprise you when the final bill comes. But all parts, labor, fees, and otherwise were all disclosed and I didn't end up with any unanticipated costs. As an added bonus, I received 5% off my service for being a first-time customer! Check these guys out if you want quick and professional service on you vehicle!

Description of Work
Standard Tune-Up (spark plugs, wires, resealing valve covers, alignment) Additional Maintenance (sway bar link ends, inner tie-rod ends, visual inspection of timing belt)

07/22/2015

James M.

Beginning with booking, this was very easy to do online and the shop was very prompt with follow up on availability. One criticism I have for booking is their overall availability. You should expect a 4-7 day wait to have any type of service done at this shop. This is not necessarily a bad thing because it just means that they are highly-recommended and sought out by their customers. However, it would be nice to see availability drop to the 1-3 day range for any type of service. When I arrived with the vehicle, the attendant was very quick to begin the inspection. It took around 90 minutes to complete and their review of the vehicle was very thorough. I appreciated the time they took with me to point out what needed to be fixed and what could be held off for a later tune-up. They also informed me on ways to negotiate price with my seller based on their findings and the overall condition of the vehicle. All of these details were well documented on the final invoice as well. This is the type of information I expect when I receive a pre-purchase inspection. Overall, I was happy with the inspection, subsequently purchased the vehicle, and had Japanese Auto Masters perform the suggested repairs.

Description of Work
The provider performed a pre-sale inspection on a used vehicle

07/07/2015

Linda F.

They are a little pricey but it's worth it, they are honest and everything is always fixed. They are not the most affordable one around but it's worth it. They have been amazing, actually my family has been going to them, my father is the one that turned me on to them because I actually don't drive a japanese made car and they have serviced six of our vehicles.

Description of Work
Auto services Japanese Auto Masters. I used them yesterday and today. It was an oil change.

Category auto repair

Thank you for your honesty regarding pricing. Pricing is something we constantly struggle with in order to provide quality service and quality parts. Thank you for your business and continued customer loyalty. tp

05/12/2015

John R.

Very professional and do what they say they will do. Never had anything like this in my life.

Description of Work
The did an engine repair in our Honda accord and repaired the power steering

Category auto repair

[member name removed], Sorry for the delay in responding. Very happy to hear we serviced your vehicle to your expectations. Glad to be of service and hope we can be counted on to help you in the future. Thank-You for trusting in us. We appreciate your business. tp

04/26/2015

JOHN M.

Went as planned. I had to change my appointment due to a conflict which they were able to do. Said the work would take about an hour which it did. Works fine. I will be using them in the future.

Description of Work
Replaced broken door handle on passenger door of my 1994 Toyota PU.

Category auto repair

[member name removed], Accuracy in an estimate of time and cost are paramount in our profession. We know customer don't like surprises unless they're positive. We do our best to be accurate at all times. We appreciate your business and the trust you place in us to get the job done right. Thanks, tp

03/27/2015

Doyle D.

This team is the best with my Honda Pilot. Prices are not the cheapest, but every part of their service - from scheduling to final pickup - is absolutely first-rate! True pro's.

Description of Work
Repaired Air Conditioner and replaced timing belt, water pump, drive belts and spark plugs.

Category auto repair

Doyle, Air conditioning repairs are some of the most difficult to get a handle on in terms of cost depending on a multitude of issues and the way in which the system fails. We work hard to be competitive in all areas of vehicle service and repair whenever possible. We appreciate your trust in us and for allowing us to service your vehicle. Thank-You for your business. tp

11/14/2014

Victoria/ B.

I brought my 2006 Toyota Tacoma in for an oil change and a loud noise and vibration that I thought might be an expensive transmission problem. The tech got in the truck with me to verify the noise and said no way on the Trans, probably a bad motor mount, much cheaper. When they got it on the lift it was just a loose heater box and bad gasket, even cheaper, YAY!!! I did feel the oil change was a little expensive about 40% more then other places but the customer service and quality of service is also 100% better then anyone else. You get what you pay for and in this case they are well worth it!! HIGHLY Recommend........

Description of Work
Oil Change and repaired vibration and loud noise.

Category auto repair, transmission repair

[Member name removed], We are happy we were able to take care of your truck to your satisfaction in a timely manner. Thank you for trusting us for your service and repairs. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season. We look forward to helping you in the future.

06/06/2014

Don C.

They fit me in on short notice. Went through in advance what they were going to do and how long it would take. They also asked me if I had any particular concerns with the car to make sure they covered those as well. Sat down with me to express their concerns over what they found -- clear evidence that the vehicle had been in at least one collision and had had work done, albeit poorly -- which was important considering that vehicle had a clean Carfax report. Very professional, polite staff who clearly come across as knowing what they're doing. Super clean facility; even the restroom was spotless. Received a discount (via online coupon) for being an Angie's List (AL) member; they also said they would give me a discount for any add'l vehicles I brought in for inspection (not sure if that is there standard practice or was due to my AL membership). New location is more convenient to where I live, so I'll be keeping their number handy.

Description of Work
Inspected used car that I was thinking about purchasing.

Category auto repair

[Member name removed], Thanks for the comments. David and Joe strive to do the best they can to serve our customers well by going over the needed service or repairs in advance and explaining in detail what is needed and what can wait. Automobiles can be demanding on both the customer and sometimes the technician as well. We are glad to have been of service and happy you chose to allow us to perform the repairs. We look forward to future business with you.

05/27/2014

Eric S.

Would highly recommend these guys. Great customer service, knowledgeable and the cost was easily 1/2 the price of the local dealership. Repairs were done timely and without issue. I usually don't believe in using coupons for small business service so I wasnt going to mention it but was pleased to see they gave me a discounted price when settling up. They give auto repair shops a great name.

Description of Work
90k mi svc, spark plugs, brake pad replacement, inspection

Category auto repair, car inspections

Eric, We sincerely appreciate the kind words of encouragement. It always helps to know the customer is pleased with our services.

03/28/2014

Jane L.

Everything went excellent! From the initial phone call with Mr. Tom, to our arrival in the shop; a true blessing. We had just failed our state inspection with another auto shop and was given an extremely high estimate for the repairs. Japanese Auto Masters gave us a very good and honest estimate and then conducted all the work that was needed. The repairs were done and the price was even less than the original estimate! And yes, we passed our state inspection :) Everything was done in a timely and professional manner, We will definitely use, recommend and brag about this awesome company, the staff and the quality work! Thank you so much Mr. Tom for being so honest and actually explaining everything with such patience and kindness... oh and the popcorn too! :-)

Description of Work
Replaced rear wheel cylinders, bled brakes, replaced right rack boot, Alignment and state inspection.

Category auto repair, car tires, car inspections

We always do our best to help the customer. We thank you for the kind words. We sincerely do appreciate your business. Tom & Cindi Potter and the team of JAM

02/27/2014

Robert C.

They were good and did a good job. I asked them their opinions on the car I was looking at and he gave me his opinion which was really helpful because I haven't bought very many cars.They were older gentlemen who have a lot of experience. I would use him again if he wasn't so far away.

Description of Work
I used Japanese Auto Masters several times to look at a car before I bought it.

Category car inspections

We are really glad we could help! I don't like being known as older...lol, but at least you said gentlemen. I suppose I am what I am. Thank you for the opportunity to service your automotive needs and look forward to your future business. Respectfully, Tom Potter and the team of JAM>
    Auto Service
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Transmission
    Auto Tires
    Auto Radiators
    Auto Mufflers

Factory Scheduled Maintenance, Electrical & Electronic Diagnosis , Oil Changes, Tune-ups, fluid flushes, Drive and Timing Belts, State Inspections, Air, Fuel and Cabin Air Filters, Radiators and Cooling System Service, Tires, Brakes, CV Axles, Steering, Suspension, Alignment Service, Major/Minor Engine Repair and Replacement, Auto Transmissions and Manual, Clutch Trans, Heating and Air Conditioning service, Fuel System Service, and Towing.

Auto Body Repair