U & I Home Decorating and Staging

Founded 2000 • With Angi since April 2011

3101 Pretty Lake Ave

Norfolk, VA 23518

22 years in the Decorating business of Rethink, Reuse, Refresh....You can start with new or refresh what you have. The possibilities are endless with U & I Home Decorating and Staging. We offer full Decorating for Interior and Exterior. U & I prides itself to stay within budget and on time, small

08/05/2020

Stephanie B.

Wonderful HAPPY l got it done.

Description of Work
Interior decorating with furnishings, window treatments, and accessories

Category window treatments, muralist, interior painters

Thank you, it’s been a pleasure working with you.

11/10/2018

JANET S.

Deborah of U and I Decorate helped me decorate a new home. This is the fourth job I have use U and I for and again Deborah did not disappoint. This job was done remotely through Facetime, texts, and phone calls and it worked out so well. Deborah helped me select furniture, rugs, paint, window coverings, linens, wall art, etc. Her taste is wonderful and the results are proof.

Description of Work
Home decorating

Category interior designers

Thank you again! Repeat business is the best compliment. Enjoy your new place, it looks cozy and comfortable. Deborah

11/10/2018

JANET S.

This is the third time I have hired U and I Decorate and as always I am amazed at what a good job Deborah does. The carpeting was taken up and wood floors were installed, repairs were made to plaster due to leaking and nail pops. I asked Deborah to decorate my bedroom around a quilt my mother had stitched for me. Her taste is wonderful and I am always happy with the results.

Description of Work
Bedroom redecorating and repairs

Category interior designers

Thank you for your review of our time together. As always it was a pleasure to work with you. I'm so happy you get to see your quilt that your mother made for you daily. Deborah

04/15/2018

shanda L.

Deborah Lutz with U & I Design transformed my home. I loved working with Deborah on my project. She listened carefully to my needs, helped me to think things through in ways I wouldn't have and added her own refinement to the mix. She has an amazing knack for detail and with all of her creative architectural ideas; it far exceeded what I even expected. Our kitchen is so unique; I know there is not another one out there like it and is far more functional than before. From start to finish she drafted, designed, managed and completed my kitchen remodel in the agreed time frame. My home is truly beautiful. U & I Design team is amazing. Shanda

Description of Work
Kitchen Remodel

Category interior designers

Working with a client that has brilliant style is an easy assignment for an Interior Designer. It was a pleasure working with you. Yes, your kitchen is a fabulous gathering area now for the whole family! Thank you for the business. Deborah

03/14/2018

David P.

Deborah is a skilled interior designer who clearly has a great eye for what does, and does not, work (believe me, I am an engineer, I need all the help I can get). Furthermore most of the re-decorating went well. Unfortunately she has contractors who subscribe more to "getting it over and done" rather than getting it done right. I had my entire house painted from top to bottom. The colors were awesome. Unfortunately, Deborah was out of town at completion and therefore I returned to see the details that they had omitted. Trim was painted with a roller, furniture/walls had been damaged, paint was spilled, and some areas of the job had only a single coat and visibly lacked complete coverage. Deborah, who was professional saw to it that it was re-finished appropriately. However, I then had new blinds installed only to discover that the painters had not even removed the old blinds (which consisted of removing an easy bracket and removal) the trim was not painted underneath. Deborah again had the painter come back in a hurry and fix it... she also upgraded the paint, so not bad. However, she spent more time trying to excuse the lack of workmanship than just admitting fault and making it right. I then had some plumbing that was completed by her plumber. Less than 3 months later, a newly installed drain-pipe failed. Inspection suggested that it was over-tightened. Deborah had the plumber return and install a replacement... although instead of the original brushed nickel drain, the plumber installed a chrome non-matching drain and then hand-sanded the chrome to try and pass it off as brushed nickel. I complained, and the original replacement was ordered by Deborah. When it arrived, seeing as how simple the installation was, I decided to do it myself. When I tried to remove the sanded-chrome drain it was so ridiculously tight I had to use a ridiculous amount of force to break it free.... I'm guessing the same install caused the original to fail. In both cases, while Deborah did get things fixed, she has a real issue with actually acknowledging that the work her contractors do is less than stellar. She would be so much better if she found herself some real talent instead of taking the stance that her contractors have never had problems in the past and that maybe I should find one on my own. I was going to do a 2nd phase but decided to stop (phase 1 was ~$17k, second phase was going to be similar if not a little more).

Description of Work
Partial Home Redecoration

Category interior designers

I'm terribly sorry you feel the job we did was unsatisfactory. It is our first unsatisfactory in 18 years and I hope to learn from your comments to improve on my sub contractors and their professionalism. Thank you again for your business and constructive criticism. I take those comments very seriously and hope that we improve from it. My clients happiness is important to me and I'm glad you told me via phone conversation that you are Happy with my work and love your home. Deborah Lutz, Interior Designer for U&I

10/09/2017

Virginia C.

We could not have been more pleased with the work done by the owner and the services she coordinated. She has the highest integrity, very professional, and extremely knowlegable regarding contracting and coordination with all aspects of this job (e.g. electrical, plumbing, painters, carpentry, flooring, etc.). She made reasonable suggestions with a range of price points and was budget conscious throughout the process. The owner and her subcontractors were awesome!!!! I have already recommended to friends and family!!!

Description of Work
We initially contacted this company for interior design assistance and ended up with much more. After providing initial assistance with some basic interior assistance, we were so pleased with the owner's guidance and assistance, we contracted with her for two bathroom remodels, color coordination, and flooring.

Category interior designers, remodeling

Thank you for your review of our time together. I enjoyed working with you both and your patience is a wonderful gift during construction. Especially with bathrooms....I'm happy that you are enjoying your new spaces. I look forward to your kitchen project in the future. Deborah

04/12/2017

Jim C.

Deb is fanstastic. Her ideas were great, she was on schedule and on budget. The contractors she works with a friendly and professional, she has worked with the same team for many years. She worked hard with us to come up with quality solutions while being mindful of budget. She is a pleasure to deal with and the work was superb! What few problems we had (which is normal for a such a large job) were quickly addressed.

Description of Work
She completely remodeled our river front home. On the main floor we opened up the entire house to make it an open concept, remodeled the kitchen, installed a large panrty, remodeled the master bathroom, and upgraded two other bathrooms. Also redid the outside deck.

Category interior designers, remodeling, window treatments, interior painters

Thank you for your review of your time with U&I. It was a pleasure working with you and I know you will enjoy your time on the river this summer and winter with the new fireplace. It all turned out beautifully. Deborah

04/11/2017

Carolyn U.

It went very well.

Description of Work
The provider renovated the garage. She arranged to have the kitchen, front room, and dining room areas painted. She made suggestions regarding furniture for the above stated rooms. She arranged to have a new roof installed and to have my driveway widened.

Category interior designers

Thank you for your review of U&I. It was a pleasure working with you and your daughter. I know the grandkids are enjoying their new space we created in the garage. Enjoy them, grandchildren are the best of life. Deborah

03/20/2017

Lisa F.

Deborah was a God-send. She helped us figure out where to spend our dollars that would give us the most for our money. She has excellent attention to detail!! We were able to transform the look and feel of our home with flooring, kitchen, and bathroom updates. Where we couldn't remodel because of our budget, Deborah gave us loads of advice on how to update the spaces ourselves. Deborah was always on-time and very quick to respond to calls or texts. We always felt that she was available. She has a good relationship with the sub contractors she works with and all worked well together to get this job done in a very short amount of time.

Description of Work
We needed to fix and update our home with a set budget and particular tastes. We didn't have the budget for a full remodel of either our master bath or kitchen, but both needed a lot of work done. We also wanted a professional to look at our color scheme and help us to get started, because we typically get overwhelmed with home improvement projects (What do we do first? Who can we trust to do the plumbing/painting/etc?).

03/15/2017

william T.

My wife has had trouble for months trying to figure out interior arrangements, furniture, drapes,artwork and accessories. She was very resistant to hiring help. Ms. Lutz is exceptional. She was able to gently guide my wife and give her ideas that will look nice and move the decor forward. Ms. Lutz is a home decor professional and an excellent communicator who is a wealth of information. My wife even gave her a hug... that speaks volumes!

Description of Work
My wife has been struggling with different advice on how to finish our home. She, (we), have put up and taken down many items.Only a few of the numerous decor items worked. My wife had, "indecisaphobia", and could not make up her mind. I suggested PROFESSIONAL help instead of the friends and family cycle of confusion.

Category interior designers, window treatments, muralist

I'm so happy we could help transform your house to home. It was a pleasure speaking with you both and I look forward to your after photos. Deborah

02/11/2016

Bob H.

Description of Work
I enjoyed the process. Deborah had some great ideas. Final project turned out beautiful! Her crews were professional, good quality work. I would recommend U and I Decorating and Staging for your design needs.

Category interior designers, house painters

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure working with you. I hope you are entertaining a lot this spring. Deborah

01/06/2016

Linda J.

I requested Ms. Lutz services to try to avoid the unpleasant experience that we had with a past contractor when we updated our living room. I wanted some direction on how to best spend our very tight kitchen budget. Since my budget is limited I wanted to make sure I didn?t make costly mistakes. Ms. Lutz provided suggestions and guidance for our upcoming kitchen renovation. Our kitchen has unique wall and angles making it difficult to know where to start. She offered information on cabinet placement, paint color, tile flooring, wall art and counter island shape and size. Ms. Lutz was very professional, easy to work with and understand. Her ideas and options helped confirm where to best spend out limited budget. She was very knowledgeable with city codes and contractor terms. Since my budget could not afford her as a project manager, I felt this was a great compromise. In my opinion it was worth the money. With the time remaining she was able to give additional input on all the rooms on the main level of our home. Offering several specific paint colors for DIY projects and small updates for each room. Thank you Ms. Lutz!

Description of Work
Professional input on kitchen renovation on a budget.

Category interior designers, remodeling, muralist, interior painters

It was my pleasure and thank you for your review of our time together. If I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to call. Deborah

12/12/2015

LYN K.

Deborah designed a beautiful set of rooms. She transformed an ugly outdated kitchen and den into beautiful living spaces. She took our preferences into account, so we feel very comfortable in our new and improved house. She has a fantastic team of contractors that are delightful to work with. Bobby Bates, Herb of Accent Plumbing, and Wade and Lloyd of Casto Electric were great. Bobby took Deborah's vision of a custom bench and cabinet and made it happen. He also made an amazing mantle for our fireplace. Herb is a plumber and so much more. He was involved in the entire project. Wade and Lloyd brought lots of much needed light into this dark house. This was a wonderful experience. Unlike some contracting projects, this went along very quickly. Deborah made sure every order and installation was on time. She dealt with all the project management, so we didn't have to. Now that the downstairs is beautiful, we plan to hire her to work her magic on the upstairs.

Description of Work
Designed and coordinated renovation of kitchen and den and redesigned office. Reno included new floors, cabinets, counters, furniture, custom bench, redesigned fireplace with custom mantle removal of paneling, repainting entire downstairs, some new furniture and some rearrangement of existing decor.

Category party planning, interior designers, remodeling, muralist, house painters, interior painters

Thank you for your report on U&I. It is a pleasure working with folks that are open to visual redesign and letting our team bring it to reality. We look forward to assisting you with your upstairs redesign when you are ready. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Team of U&I. Deborah

12/02/2015

Margaret L.

Deborah is awesome. She was very thorough in listening to our desires and provided great recommendations to us. She is very friendly and makes you feel very comfortable. She is very willing to help, and insisted that we called her with any questions or concerns. I highly recommend her services.

Description of Work
Provided recommendations for paint color throughout our house and also picture placement for optimal effect. Finally, gave us ideas on faux finishing techniques for DIY jobs on furniture, lighting fixtures and our bannister.

Category interior designers

Thank you for the review. It was a pleasure to meet DIY'ers.....I look forward to seeing the results of your U&I consult and your hard work. Deborah

07/12/2015

Janet S.

Deborah did an excellent job of providing advice and recommendations that matched our budget and needs. She provided tips on how to de-clutter and how to reorganize furniture, as well as recommending paint colors and other design elements. She did a great job of incorporating our tastes and the ways we use our home in her advice. She also provided details on where to go and what to ask for when buying new blinds. In general, she helped us get over the hurdle of figuring out where to start and gave us concrete next steps, which is exactly what we needed.

Description of Work
Deborah provided advice on ways to reorganize and update our home decor, and connected us with people who could paint and hang the TV above the fireplace.

Category interior designers, window treatments, home & garage organization

Thank you for your report on U&I's Interior Design Consultation. We love hearing that our clients received a step a head in the design process. Let me know if I can be of further service. Would love to see after photos. Deborah

04/29/2015

Kim B.

We went through my living room, dining room and kitchen and she gave me great advice about window treatments, how to place things, how to move furniture and how to blend colors. She told me about all kinds of things. She was great and awesome. She's very engaged and you can tell she loves what she does. Normally I would say the cost is steep, it's $100 an hour, but for what I got out of it, it was well worth the price. The service that you got out of it for $200 made it worth it. She was very responsive to questions and concerns I had.

Description of Work
She helped me with designing my house.

Category interior designers

Thank you for your report. I look forward to seeing photo's of your project once you have completed with the consult recommendations. Deborah

02/22/2015

Michael D.

We wanted to remodel the whole interior of our house and we are very thankful we found Debra Lutz to help us. She listened to our needs and helped us choose colors, fixtures, textures, finishes, cabinets, you name it. With so many choices out there we would have been overwhelmed without Debra?s help. She learned our style and preferences and brought the best options to us. This was a big timesaver. Debra also solicited bids from contractors for our approval and did all of the coordination with contractors throughout the project. We now say ?We love our home. We love our home. We love our home?.

Description of Work
Replaced tile and carpet downstairs with hardwood. Replaced carpet upstairs. Painted all interior. Remodeled master bath. Replaced all window treatments. Installed skylights in living room. Installed a wall of new cabinets around fireplace. Installed tile backsplash and ceiling lights in kitchen. Installed new lighting in dining room and dining area by kitchen.

Category interior designers, remodeling, window treatments, interior painters

I enjoyed working with you and look forward to any projects you may have in the future. Thank you for such a lovely review. It was my pleasure and the best compliment a Designer can have is to hear her clients say "We love our HOME". Thank you again, Deborah

11/05/2014

VICTORIA C.

I am so glad I found Deb! This is the second year I have used her. The first year I gave her a budget to pick out items to decorate my house, and this year I had her over to take all the substantial amount of items and redecorate. It came out so beautifully! Deb is an artist, and I would also choose her to do any painting or other decorating in the future. She packed last year's items meticulously, so they look brand new, not beat up. She redid the house just like last year just how I liked it, but even the slight changes she made are beautiful. I don't have to rearrange anything when she is done. She is the person to choose if you want your house to look like a winter wonderland showcase.

Description of Work
Decorated a large house for Christmas.

05/07/2014

Lisa S.

Deb is awesome. She has been so terrific helping me update my home. She's responds within minutes of a phone call or text. She has a great eye and such a kind demeanor. I highly recommend her services and plan on using her again on any future projects.

Description of Work
Interior updating.

Category interior designers

Thank you for your kind words. We pride ourselves in client satisfaction and look forward to helping with other Interior or Exterior projects you may have in the future. U&I

03/06/2014

Tracy A.

Great. Deborah was very helpful with choosing a color scheme for all the rooms. I would definitely use her services again.

Description of Work
Color consult for house painting

12/31/2012

Carmen H.

She was very professional and enthusiastic, whether she was going to do the decorating or if she was giving you DIY tips. You can tell that she really loves her job. I would recommend her highly and will continue to use her services.

Description of Work
I hired her to give me decorating ideas and tips. She also helped me hang some pictures.

Category interior designers

It was my pleasure to help with the decorating. I look forward to working with you again in the future. It's easy to decorate with some one who has great taste. Happy New Year and thank you for choosing U&I. Deborah

06/21/2011

JANET S.

I contacted U & I Home Decorating for a consultation regarding the decorating of my new home. Deborah returned my email and we spoke by phone the same day. I originally hired U & I for a $ 200.00 consultation fee to help with the selection of flooring and counter tops for the condo I was purchasing. I was pleased with the meeting and the selections that were made and engaged U & I to decorate my condo. U & I offers several plans with reasonable hourly rates for small jobs and decorating advice or a complete package with an agreed on price that covers all aspects of the decorating process. Deborah offers as little or as much help as you want. She never overpowers your choices, but gently suggests ideas that work well with your decorating goals. U & I handles all subcontracting and uses professional and trustworthy people and or companies to complete these jobs. One of Deborah's specialties is using the furniture and accessories you have, but in a new and innovative way. She guided me through the selection of wall paint, window coverings and furniture. Her guidance in these areas made the difference between a drab and traditional set up as I usually had in my home, to a more dramatic and colorful living space. The addition of pictures and decorative items selected by Deborah enhanced the look of the rooms and brought all the rooms together, so that everything flows from one room to the next. How exciting to come home from work daily to new items here and there and furniture you've had for years used in places and ways you never dreamed would work well. I have many antiques and with Deborah's incorporation of linens, accessories and decorative touches I now have a home that is contemporary and I still have my much loved antiques. I would highly recommend U & I Home Decorating for all you decorating needs. Deborah is professional, multi talented and a truly delightful person. You can't go wrong with this company.

Description of Work
COMPLETE HOME DECORATING FOR NEW HOME

Category interior designers, home staging

Jack M Levi Painting & General Contracting

Jack, the owner, has been in the Remodeling and Painting industry over 40 years. Starting in 1979, Jack M Levi painting has been the go to for Virginia Beach area for any painting, drywall repair, plaster repair, carpentry work, and much more! We take a ton of pride in our work, and make sure the job is always done right. Give us a call today and let us know how we can make your project go smooth and efficiently!

Emerson Avery Construction

Since 2018, we have been specializing in all phases of roofing, siding, remodeling, home additions, home repairs, and other general construction services! We guarantee your satisfaction and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -- or-- click to schedule a free estimate today!

The Painter, Inc.

We are a family-owned painting company established in 2006 to fill a void in excellent customer service in the painting industry. Our unique approach to customer service, high quality paints, and a 100% money back guarantee are the reason why we are the fastest-growing painting company in our area for the last four years. We do all types of interior and exterior painting, deck and fence staining, Garage floor Coatings, Cabinet refinishing and much more.

General Remodeling
    Check, Visa, MasterCard

Interior & Exterior Decorating and Design, Home Staging consults, Commercial Staging, Landscape Design, Custom Hand Painted Art, Decor shopping, DIY packages, DIY and U&I packages, Event decor planning, Handyman specials, The possibilities are endless with U & I.

If we do not offer the services that you require we will be happy to recommend a professional that can help you.