YOUR DOGS BEST FRIENDS

Founded 2005 • With Angi since August 2005

4.3

2000 Jefferson Davis Hwy

Alexandria, VA 22301

We are a cageless doggie day care/Boarding facility...

03/08/2021

John M.

We trusted these people and our dog got his face ripped up. The attendant called it playing. They were totally indifferent to the dogs chew and bite marks.

Description of Work
Boarding My Dog

10/01/2015

Michael M.

Description of Work
I go here for pet supplies. They have a complete range of anything you could want for your dog. They have all the things you need at the best quality, so you know you are getting the highest quality of food and treats at a reasonable price. The girl there is very friendly and she is always there.

Category pet stores

05/21/2014

sarah M.

They are great with my dog. My dog has become very social now. They tire her out by the end of the day which is nice for me.

Description of Work
I take my winrouterin for doggy day care weekly.

05/07/2014

Sheena R.

Description of Work
I bring my dogs to Your Dogs Best Friend a few times a week. It's too costly for me to use them daily, but I wish I could. Dogs are pack animals are mine love to be around other dogs. One of my boys is 15, blind, deaf and diabetic and he sleeps most of the day in the corner but wanders around with the other dogs. I would recommend this business as all employees seem to love dogs.

03/13/2014

Betsy S.

I used Your Dog's Best Friends for about three years for occasional day care and overnight boarding. From Day 1, the staff was caring and professional. They remembered my dog's name every time we went, even when it had been several months. They treated her with great love, and catered to her special needs. For example, she was elderly and not fond of playing, so they kept her in the office area or the grooming room instead of the large play room. They always seemed so excited when I brought her in. My dog has since passed on, but I am grateful she had such good care at Your Dog's Best Friends. I recommend them highly.

Description of Work
Dog boarding, day care

02/21/2013

Anthony C.

We are really happy with Your Dog’s Best Friends Doggie Day Care. We didn’t really think through what we would do with our 8 week old puppy until we were facing both work and coming home to a destroyed house or a puppy who slept all day and is ready to play all night. We were nervous about bringing a puppy to doggie day care, especially as the dogs all mix together. However, the owner and staff made the transition so smooth for both the puppy and us. On our orientation day, the staff and owner came to meet our puppy, who was in the very back of his crate, refusing to come out. First they tried to verbally encourage him to leave his crate. When that didn’t work, they gently lifted the crate at a slight angle hoping to dislodge him from the crate, and then moved to slowly unscrewing each screw to his crate until they lifted off the lid and coaxed him out into the room. Next, they introduced one smaller dog at a time to our puppy to get him used to being around other dogs in an unfamiliar environment and avoid scaring him. Once he seemed comfortable, they took him to a small enclosed area with the smaller dogs for companions. After a few days of this smaller area, they introduced him into the bigger area where all the dogs mix. Our puppy is always so excited when he arrives at doggie daycare and the staff all know him by name. The best part is that he’s really tired when he arrives home and sleeps the night. The staff is very friendly and helpful and we are very thrilled that we went with Your Dog’s Best Friends.

Description of Work
We useYour Dog’s Best Friends for "playcare" for our 3-month-old puppy, for boarding, and for grooming. The staff is tremendously helpful and it's clear that they love their jobs. They have made lunches, by hand, to care for our sick pup at no extra charge, have administered medication (again, at no extra charge), and have exceeded our expectations in every way.

02/19/2013

Mike & Lynn N.

Description of Work
They had our dogs for one full day. Our dogs came back exhausted as the facility had a large amount of dogs. The owner was very nice and he met with us. They are very good at vetting out owners of dogs. I felt confident that my dog was going to be well taken care of at this facility. We were able to observe our dogs through a glass window. They are very active with the dogs.

02/14/2013

Jesse L.

I bring my dog here for daycare twice a week and occasional boarding when needed. I've been using their services for years now. They check all dogs through interviews before letting them stay but they are also very calm in the interviews, knowing that dogs can be nervous and need slow introductions. Their boarding here is cage-less; they just setup a cot for an employee to sleep in the dog play area and let the dogs run around and/or sleep with the employee. They have private rooms for feeding and letting dogs calm down if they freak out. I love this place and recommend them to any dog owner!

Description of Work
Day long doggy daycare/free play. (I have also used them for boarding in the past)

06/15/2012

Lauren E.

I have been taking my dog to Your Dog's Best Friend for approx. 6 months now and I love it! He always comes out of the doggy day care room with a huge smile and tail wagging. Also, our dog loves to sleep in the bed at night so their unconventional (but great perk!) of sleeping in a huge bed with the boarding dogs is a great way for Harley to feel at home and comfortable. They say its first come first served for which dogs get to be up on the bed with the attendants and Harley always makes his way up there - he does have a self-imposed bedtime of 9.15pm. I would highly recommend this location - especially since I've had horrible experiences with many other DC area boarding and doggy day care locations.

Description of Work
Doggy Day Care and Dog Boarding

Category kennels

We love having Harley come stay with us.Anytime you need us we are just a phone call away.Give our buddy some hugs and kisses from us,and we cant wait to see you guys agian.

12/29/2011

Cristina P.

This was a horrible experience. After recently moving to the area earlier this year, I looked for reputable places to take my dog for grooming. After hearing great reviews on Your Dog's Best Friend, I decided I would take her there. I was able to easily schedule an appointment for the following week (which is unheard of in the summer months) so I was elated. Once I arrived, I was in a bit of disbelief at the outside of the building. The building is like an old warehouse transformed into grooming/daycare center. Either way, I took my dog inside and was greeted by the receptionist who was great. After that, the groomer came by. She had broken her wrist the night before and told me that she would not be able to groom my dog but that her really great assistant would help. That is where the trouble began. I left my fur baby with her and she walked outside and down to the grooming shop. About 2 hours later, I picked her up. I paid my $75 and they brought my dog back to me. They did a horrible job. That was, hands down, the WORST hair cut she has EVER had. She had 2 cuts on her side and one on her leg. I like to keep her ears a little long and I told them that, but they completely whacked them off. They left the hair on her back a little longer than what we had discussed. It was horrible. Then, we took her outside and she instantly went to the bathroom on the cement outside (there is not grass) as if they hadn't let her go when she needed to. It was horrible. I have never taken her to such a horrible place. I'm sure they like dogs just fine, but I have never had an issue with her sitting still to groom even when I do it myself so I just couldn't understand why her hair was so uneven. Absolutely horrible. It's more expensive than other places in the area and just not worth it at all. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Description of Work
Basic grooming for my 2 year old shih-tzu mix.

Category pet grooming

12/27/2011

Abigail M.

I'll be going there again.

Description of Work
I used Your Dog's Best Friend for animal boarding.

06/26/2011

Gretchen J.

I would never ever take my beloved dog to this place again. I boarded him there for 5 days and when I picked him up he had an ENORMOUS swelling that was purple on his belly. There were no cuts, no bite marks, no evidence of a fight w/ another dog. They never told me about it and never acknowledged what happened, even went so far to accuse me of doing it to my dog since I didn't see it right when I picked him up. I immediately took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with blunt force trauma to his abdomen/thorax with cartilage from his ribs having been pryed away from his rib cage. The result was a hematoma and huge seroma. He was put on pain meds, which he couldn't tolerate, and the first night every time he moved, he whimpered in pain, something I have never heard him do before!! In one week I had to take him back to the vet 4 times, twice to drain the huge bulge that was a seroma. In that week I spent $550, which the owner refuses to reimburse me for. In the last two weeks, via owner emails to me that I saved, he accused me of being "dishonorable" for wanting to find an attorney, and accused my dog of being too "rambunctious," of course, this is the first I have heard of this, and I have been taking him to daycare there for 7 months. He told me that I "would be back, everyone else is," and that every other daycare in the area consists of employees that he has "fired" and there would not be one place that could control my dog. I took pictures of this injury and if it were to happen to a child, someone would be in jail right now. I warn anyone considering this place to STAY FAR AWAY! The owner basically admitted to letting them play and not intervening, and in my opinion, our dogs are our babies, and should be watched in some regard and if "rough" play is not stopped at any point, this is neglect and endangerment. It actually looks like someone kicked my dog in the pictures, and everyone I show the pictures to says that right away. I filed a complaint w/ the better business bureau and will be meeting with an attorney next week to discuss a civil suit. The last time the seroma was drained, they got 95cc out of it!! The vet told me that he may need surgery to remove it! The owner Paul Haire is the most egotistical, unempathetic person I have ever dealt with in my life!!!

Description of Work
boarding and daycare.

05/19/2010

David L.

On the whole we were not thrilled with our experience at Your Dog's Best Friend. The staff were somewhat curt and unhelpful. When we called to check in our dog a day into our trip, the staff member we spoke with could not identify her. He said that there were over 60 dogs in the facility and he couldn't answer any questions about a specific dog. I didn't really feel that he or his colleagues understood why we were concerned about her, or why we might want information about her well-being and her adjustment to an unfamiliar place. When we picked her up, the staff had no particular information to impart about her stay. We never learned any details about how she spent her time or whether she had any issues adjusting to life in the kennel. She seemed fine--healthy and happy--but I still wouldn't leave her there again. There are other places to leave her where the staff are happy to provide details about her stay.

Description of Work
We boarded our dog Edie at Your Dog's Best Friend for a week during the Christmas holiday.

03/12/2009

JAMES H.

Always a pleasant experience.

Description of Work
My very active dog goes to Your Dog's Best Friend (YDBF) twice each week. She barks with joy upon arrival and returns home tired and happy. The owner Paul takes interest to make sure all dogs are social before they enter into the group and the groups' interactions are always supervised. If your dog is active and needs to have some play time I highly recommend YDBF. A little pricey, but worth the piece of mind. I typically spend $240.00 monthly for twice a week dog daycare. Great on rainy days, especially when there are several rainy/snowy days in a row!

11/25/2008

JENNIFER W.

We are very happy with Your Dog's Best Friends and our dog, Sydney, LOVES going there. She drags us from the car to the front door and once inside, she jumps up on the doors that will let her into the dog playroom. The charge for overnight stays is $50 for weekdays, $55 for weekends, and $60 for Thanksgiving. They are a little more expensive than other kennels, but they are located less than 10 minutes away from us which beats the cost savings of other kennels. One time Sydney was on a few drugs when we had to leave her. The employees did not blink an eye over the dosage instructions we left with them and said everything would be fine. After a busy summer and several visits to the kennel, Sydney was a little overstimulated and her bowels were acting up. YDBF was very understanding when we asked them to limit her play time and put her in her crate for more quiet time than usual. Our dog will play 100% when around other dogs so don't think that your dog will be automatically be overstimulated by this place. It is just our Sydney who never wants to miss an opportunity to run around and play with other dogs. Sydney sleeps in a crate at our house and at YDBF. But if your dog does not sleep in a crate, YDBF has a great room where dogs sleep with an employee.

Description of Work
Our dog stays here overnight when we are out of town.

06/10/2008

Jamie F.

Found this company on Angie's List. Was very impressed right away with their web-site, they have a lot of information about what you can expect in terms of care for your dog. You fill out an on-line information packet about your dog, then they call to schedule an "orientation day". At the initial evaluation/orientation day(required for all dogs), I was greeted by the company owner, Paul, who walked me through the process. He was very knowledgeable about dog behavior, asked a lot of questions to get to know my dog. When I came back to pick up my dog, I was again greeted by the owner who let me know how my dog did in the environment. They also have an on-site trainer that worked with my dog and gave me tips on how to get rid of unwanted behavior (jumping). The facility is very nice, with cushy floors for the dogs to run and the ability to separate dogs into play areas based on their energy level. I've tried 4 different dog care facilities in the area, and I am most impressed with this one. The rates are on the higher end but I think you get more for your money. They actually work with your dog to encourage good behavior, instead of most places that just "referee" the dogs playing. I saw a difference in my dogs behavior after just one stay.

Description of Work
Initial evaluation plus 2 days of Doggie "day care"- full day 7:30 am-6:00 pm.

01/28/2008

Robin W.

When I picked him up in the morning he was sick. By the evening he was really sick. The emergency clinic said that he was dehydrated and running a fever. After several hundred dollars of tests, it was determined that his illness was caused by stress. I called Your Dogs Best Friend and they were not even aware that he had been sick. They should have noticed and they should have told me he was sick when I picked him up. They apologized, but it was too late by then. After a few days my dog recovered but not without significant worry and cost to me.

Description of Work
I boarded my dog at Your Dog's Best Friend.

12/01/2007

CINDY A.

We are repeat customers for Your Dog's Best Friends, and we trust them to take good care of our dogs. Our social dog loves to go to YDBF, and our shy one has a great time once she gets there. Dogs aren't crated overnight unless owners request it. An attendant sleeps on a pull-out bed and the dogs can sleep with him/her.

Description of Work
Doggie "sleepover."

09/21/2007

SCOTT G.

They are attentive to the dogs and provide activities for them during the course of the day. I bring my dog's own food, although the price of the stay includes food. They are a cage less facility.

Description of Work
They took care of our dog for 14 days. The charge was $52 a day.

08/09/2005

BARBARA M.

THIS WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR MY DOG. SHE LOVED THE PLACE. I FILLED OUT AN APPLICATION FOR HER AND INCLUDED HER IMMUNIZATION RECORD, AND TOOK HER IN FOR A TRIAL DAY AND SAW THE FACILITIES.

Description of Work
DOG BOARDED FOR DAY-FOR DAY CARE ONLY. THEY ALSO BOARD OVERNIGHT. ANIMAL LOVERS, PLAY WITH DOGS ALL DAY, CAREFUL ABOUT WHICH DOGS THEY TAKE. DISCOUNT FOR MORE FREQUENT VISITS.

Animal Boarding Kennels
    Pet Stores
    Animal Grooming
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express

We offer Positive Playcare for your furry friends,as well as bedroom boarding(can be adjusted per customer), Postive Training, Dog Walking, and Grooming as well.