HOLLIN HALL AUTOMOTIVE

Founded 1960 • With Angi since October 2007

7926 FORT HUNT RD

Alexandria, VA 22308

Family owned for over 50 years. See us at www.hollinhallauto.com for additional specials and what customers have to say about us.

04/26/2017

Richard Y.

Very pleased with the service and knowledge.

Description of Work
New tires needed and they provided great advice. One of the tires I brought to them for mounting had a slight defect and they let me know so I could get a new one. Also went in to have tire patched and they were great about doing it on the spot.

Category car tires

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we sincerely appreciate it! Tom Harvey, Owner

04/20/2017

Eric C.

They're excellent. They do good work. They're very pleasant and good.

Description of Work
They serviced the vehicle. An oil change and checkup.

Category auto repair, car tires

[Member Name Removed], thank you for the wonderful review. We sincerely appreciate your business! Tom Harvey, Owner

02/09/2017

Ann G.

I have been using them since 2010, so about eight years.

02/09/2017

Ann G.

They are good. I like the quality work. They explain with what they are doing and what the problem is. I feel like they are not trying to gyp me. I have been using them since 2010.

Description of Work
We use Hollin Hall Automotive for anything that is not an oil change. The last time I was there they worked on the battery and headlights for a BMW.

Category auto repair, car accessories

10/04/2016

Jennifer A. H.

04/20/2016

Laura Z.

10/24/2015

Amy H.

We brought our car into Hollin Hall for a regular check-up and oil change and also to investigate a few issues were recently noticed with our car. I stopped by a few days in advance to talk with the Hollin Hall team to go over the issues we were experiencing and to set an appointment to bring the car in for the service. George, who was working that day, took down copious notes of the problems based on my descriptions of the issues were experiencing with our car. On the day of the service, we dropped the car off with Hollin Hall Automotive where they completed our regular maintenance service which included an oil change and complimentary safety inspection. They also spent a significant amount of time investigating the few other issues we were experiencing. The team kept us informed throughout the day on how their progress. We picked up our car at the end of the day with a continued high level of confidence in their work and that our car was safe and in good working condition. Customer service was outstanding.

Description of Work
Automotive service.

04/15/2015

Patricia H.

It was good in every way. Everything would be an A. It was explained, it was done well. I didn't have problems. They are very good but tend to be expensive.

Description of Work
I had brake work done.

09/17/2014

Patricia H.

They are expensive but the work was done well and brakes work fine. They answered all questions and explained why more extensive work and new parts were necessary.

Description of Work
Installed new brake parts front and rear

09/12/2014

Karen R.

We took our car to Steven's Auto to get the brakes replaced and also got the brake fluid flushed / replaced at the same time. When I drove the car home, the brakes felt weird but I figured they just needed to break in. A few days later, the emergency brake light came on, which usually indicates an issue with the brake fluid. Instead of taking it back to Steven's because we were sure that they had caused the problem in the first place, we took it to Hollin Hall. They were able to quickly determine that Steven's didn't tighten something and brake fluid had leaked out. They were reasonably priced and got the job done quickly.

Description of Work
Diagnosed issue with emergency brake light coming on and completely re-flushed brake system. This is pretty reasonable from what i know. He said they need to look at the calipers

09/09/2014

Amy H.

Concerned about a possible leak in a tire, I stopped by Hollin Hall on my way to work. A gentleman there was able to assess that there was a slight leak, and he made the repair on the spot. It gave me peace of mind to continue my commute.

Description of Work
Repaired a leaky tire

05/23/2014

Marc R.

Hollin Hall did a very good job overall, but slightly scratched a rim - no biggie - rims weren't prefect beforehand. Also, didn't wash or clean the wheels or rims, which i would have expected for the price. However, nothing a car wash didn't fix. This seems to be a proper balancing/alignment shop, and will use them again when i buy tirerack tires. Note: not cheaper than the BMW dealership for the work.

Description of Work
Mounted and balanced tires; alignment

05/16/2014

Walter B.

They are pretty good, I'd say they are slightly expensive, but they do good work, and so that outweighs the expensive price. They can accommodate you very quickly, they are very quick and efficient. I would say that it is a good place to take your vehicle for routine maintenance.

Description of Work
I use Hollin Hall Automotive. We take our vehicles regularly. We last went for an oil change.

02/05/2014

Karen W.

I am new to the area, and did not have a local mechanic for my Mazda Protege. The reviews of this business seemed good, and a bus line serving the Huntington metro station conveniently runs right by their shop. In addition, they have early/late drop off/pick up. I needed a new horn pad, and called them to see if they could replace it. They called out to ascertain availability and price for the part, and called me right back. I had them order the part for me, and it came in within a few days. I was able to set up an appointment for the repair the next day. The cost was very fair, and I now have a working horn. Although I do not think that this was a challenging test of their capabilities, I am comfortable enough with their service that I intend to return the next time my car needs work.

09/24/2013

Martin M.

Took away all wheel vibrations which no standard balancing machine could do. Expensive but well worth it in the long run!

Description of Work
special computer balanced tires

05/20/2013

Kevin D.

It was nice to have an auto shop that can make appointments to get work done and can live up to the promised time. I made an appointment for two of my trucks to get oil changes back to back. They were able to start working on my truck at the scheduled time and were very thorough in the work performed. I stuck around while the work was performed and they involved me throughout the process. I appreciated that my truck was not dropped off into a black box and I had no idea what was done. Here, I was able to watch the mechanic and interact with him throughout the job.

Description of Work
Oil change on two of my trucks.

04/02/2013

John H.

Over a 2 day period both of the headlights on our Honda Element went out. As I have been doing for well over 20-years I called Hollin Hall Service to make an appointment. I was told that I didn't need one as replacement was a very quick job. The next morning at about 10 am I showed up with the car. Within 15 minutes both lamps had been replaced and all the other running and brake lights were checked. None of them were out and I was on my way. I have a Ford pickup a Honda Element and an Audi. Tom Harvey and his staff at Hollin Hall Service have done all of the work on all of our vehicles. Fixing cars can at times be hard. Finding the source of a problem is more and more complicated as our cars depend more and more on electronics and computers. But I know that whatever to problem it will be corrected. I have complete confidence on Hollin Hall Service.

Description of Work
Both headlights on our Honda Element burned out. Hollin Hall Service replaced them. Replacement bulbs were in stock. Job completed in 15 minutes. All other running and brake lights were checked without my asking. No problems what so ever. Uniforms and hands were clean. Technicians were polite as usual.

Category auto repair, car tires, radiator service

10/26/2010

Olivia D.

They've been there for 40 years. It's like a mom and pop shop and they even fill up your gas tank just like an old fashioned shop. They are very professional, prompt, and service oriented. You schedule a time, take your vehicle in, and they get the work done. They even will take you home and pick you up. It's a neighborhood institution and they check your oil and wipe your windshield without charging extra.

Description of Work
They repaired the brakes on my car.

10/14/2010

PAUL M.

They are nice to deal with, and professional. But if it's a major project, I'd check a couple bids.

Description of Work
We got an oil change, and checked out some tire issues.

07/31/2010

Erica B.

My car failed emissions inspection and we were referred to this shop. Initially they were very responsive, and assured me that they had experts who could handle an older car. First they needed to take it somewhere else for diagnostics, then they needed to order parts. I asked them to do some minor work as well ( replace a lock and change a bulb in the dashboard ) which became an big deal since they broke the module on the airbag while replacing the bulb. Then they had to order the module. In sum it took 2 MONTHS for me to get my car back. And the dashboard bulbs don't work. In fairness they got a waiver for my car, ( which I believe you get i all circumstances if you spend enough money to repair it) refunded the amount I paid to have the bulb installed and did not try to charge me for the broken module. But they clearly had my car as the bottom priority in the shop. When I got the car back- it was filthy from having been outside for 2 months even though I had called and they said they would bring it in at night- which they did not. Literally spiders were living in the car. The ordeal still cost me $1000. When we told them that the bulbs in the dash weren't working they offered for me to bring it in for them to look at it. We declined as I couldn't afford to be without the car for another 2 months. I think they are probably ok for an oil change.

Description of Work
Emissions work to get the car to pass inspection replace bulbs in dashboard repair lock air conditioner servicing

05/17/2010

Cathleen C.

We were very happy with the service we received. They checked with us every step of the way, told us what the work would cost and it was completed professionaly and on time.

Description of Work
complete overhaul, brake replacement, whindsheild wiper replacement

11/12/2008

Ryan L.

After getting a verbal estimate of the cost of recommended repairs (+/- $1,000), the service manager and I discussed some of the repairs that weren't imperative and that would save me about $700 from the estimated $1,000 estimated cost. After I had to call the station on the second day around 3:00 p.m. (having not received a call from them) to find out the status of my vehicle, I arrived at the station to find a bill of over $900 (about $500 more that what was estimated to me!). The service manager gave a patronizing apology and changed what he said he told me was the total estimate on the phone ($1,700). One thousand dollars sounds nothing like seventeen hundred dollars. Though I went to this service station because of it's positive reputation in the community, the prices and the attitudes are not worth ever returning given the selection of equally competent places in the area.

Description of Work
I had several small superficial and electronic repairs performed (nothing mechanical or engine related) on an earlier model vehicle and had to leave the vehicle overnight for a part to arrive the next day.

Category auto repair

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THAT THIS CUSTOMER HAS COME INTO OUR FACILITY, BEEN GIVEN A DETAILED ESTIMATE OF REPAIRS, AUTHORIZED THE WORK TO BE DONE AND THEN UPON COMPLETION OF THE WORK, DENIED THAT HE WAS GIVE THAT ESTIMATE. WE ALWAYS SAVE HARD COPY ESTIMATES OF WORK NEEDED AND CONVEYED TO THE VEHICLE OWNER. AS THE REPAIRS ARE DISCUSSED WITH THE VEHICLE OWNER, THE AGREED UPON REPAIRS ARE HI-LIGHTED AND NOTES MADE TO ESTIMATES. THIS HARD COPY ESTIMATE WAS SHOWN TO THIS CUSTOMER WITH THE HI-LIGHTED ITEMS AND HE STILL DENIED BEING TOLD OF THE COST OF THESE REPAIRS. WE HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR OVER 48 YEARS AND HAVE A STELLAR REPUTATION FOR HONESTY AND INTEGRITY IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A CONSUMER COMPLAINT REGISTERED AGAINST US IN ALL THAT TIME! AS FOR EQUALLY COMPETENT FACILITIES IN OUR AREA, THERE IS NOT ANOTHER FACILITY ANYWHERE NEAR US WITH THE DIAGNOSTIC CAPABILITIES, EQUIPMENT, AND EXPERIENCED TECHNICIANS THAT WE EMPLOY AT OUR FACILITY.

10/10/2008

LEE H.

I have not seen this level of service at a gas station anywhere else. Friendly and professional advice.

Description of Work
Purchase of gas and removal of nail from tire.

09/28/2008

Alex B.

Whenever I buy tires online (tire company), I have them delivered to Hollin Hall Automotive for installation. They call me when the tires come in and don't have a problem waiting for me to show up for installation anytime in the next week when it's convenient for me, usually on a Saturday morning. I drive over there early in the morning and they give me a ride home from the station. By the time they finish somebody at my house is up and can drop me off at the station. This is the best way to buy tires and get them installed I have found. I usually get them to fix anything else that needs fixing while the car is there because they're a full service automotive repair service for any and all passenger vehicles. They have always done good work for me and their prices are reasonable. I only gave them a B rating for price because other places may have better prices when they're doing specials (have coupons or promotions), but you risk not getting the same high quality, dependable service at other places that you get every time without a doubt at Hollin Hall Automotive.

Description of Work
Usually I go there for a new tire installation and get an oil change while the car is there. The cost for each tire to be installed is about $20 each depending on the size of the tire. The oil change is around $25.

10/02/2007

BRUCE S.

I have used Hollin Hall Automotive for a long time. I have also used others, but none compare to the quality I receive here. This service station is exactly that, a "service" station. They sell gas too, and even when filling-up, you get service. All of their pumps are self-serve, but the attendants don't even give you a chance to get out of your vehicle to do it yourself. They pump your gas, check your oil, clean your windows and more for no extra cost, and they are happy to do it. When it comes to the repair part of this business, you really get more than you pay for. You take your car in for an oil change only to find out they have given it a complete look-over at no additional charge. They are very aware that most of us really don't know what our car needs, so they make the extra effort to find this out for us. They never pressure sales, but offer sound advice. This shop really fits in with the old-fashioned service available at many of the vendors in Hollin Hall.

Description of Work
Oil change, tire rotation, brake check, system diagnostics, windshield washer pump repair.