Gary's Transmission Service Inc

Founded 2004 • With Angi since July 2010

Gary’s Transmission Service Inc is family owned and operated. We have been in business since 2004. Our technicians have a combine experience of 100 years repairing transmissions.

10/14/2020

Steven B.

Our 2012 Kia with manual transmission stopped changing gears one day. Ugh. Transmission issues, not fun. I called a few places and explained the issue and wasn’t getting a good feeling about taking my car there to get fixed. I found Gary’s Transmission online and talked to Gary about the issue. Right away he knew what it was and what was required to fix it. Very knowledgeable and really fast service. Definitely recommend for your transmission repairs.

Description of Work
Manual transmission repair

Work Completed On 10/09/2020

02/21/2019

Jerry B.

Gary gave our son first-class and honest service when he was stranded with a bad transmission problem while on a drive from California to Florida. Our son limped into Katy Texas, found Gary's, and Gary took care of his F-150 truck's transmission problem in record time. Most other shops would have taken advantage of the situation and overcharged for the service but Gary did not. His price was lower than expected and our son is back on the road with his transmission working great again. Thank you so much Gary!! Jerry & Nancy Bransford

Description of Work
Repair of a Ford F-150 automatic transmission

Work Completed On 02/21/2019

01/17/2018

JAMES B.

Gary actually answered phone and promptly, very knowledgeable, quick price estimate that he stuck to even after opening up the transmission. He sent his tow truck company to come get the truck. The end result is a strong performing rebuild that feels more responsive that the original factory install. They were done when they said they would be done and didn't release it back to me until it was test driven and passed inspection. Highly recommend Gary.

Description of Work
Rebuild automatic transmission in my 2007 F150

Work Completed On 12/11/2017

05/16/2017

Kathleen T.

Description of Work
He was amazing! Excellent very kind and understanding. He went above and beyond as what was expected. Will definitely hire them again in the future and recommend them to other members.

Category auto repair

Work Completed On 05/15/2017

11/15/2016

Linda H.

Great. Gary was very informative and well mannered.

Description of Work
Rebuild transmission on 2000 f250 super duty

Work Completed On 11/04/2016

12/15/2015

Debbie L.

Description of Work
Replaced transmission in 2007 Tahoe. Everything has gone fine. It took an extra couple of days so I was out of vehicle for a week.

Work Completed On 10/02/2015

06/04/2015

Joel B.

When the transmission started slipping on my 10 year old van with only 54,000 miles, I was at a loss for what to do. I've heard too many horror stories about the business tactics of transmission shops. Gary was friendly and knowledgeable and made me feel at ease immediately. He went above and beyond in every regard. The towing company through my insurance delivered the van to the wrong location. Gary took it upon himself to track it down and even went to pick it up for me from a shop down the street. He was upfront about his pricing and called frequently to give updates and let me know how things were progressing. He attempted to outsource parts as much as possible rather than paying outlandish dealer pricing, and when one part was only available from the dealer only charged the base price with no additional mark up (it is standard practice to mark up prices at least 50%. I work for a dealer in a different industry and we double the cost of parts). Gary got the job done quickly and at a very reasonable cost ($600 of the total repair was a faulty active motor mount that had to be purchased from Honda directly). The van runs great now and I couldn't be happier!

Description of Work
Rebuilt Honda Odyssey Transmission. Replaced mounts.

Work Completed On 05/26/2015

05/14/2015

Lawrence G.

Description of Work
Rebuild transmission. Quoted the price at 2500 to 2800 and once into the transmission found it was a total loss. They got another transmission and rebuilt that unit at no additional cost.

Work Completed On 05/07/2015

04/23/2015

Dan S.

Description of Work
transmission service

Work Completed On 04/02/2015

02/21/2015

sam L.

gary's came recommended and we found his service excellent and he definitely stands behind his work. we has a slight issue about 1 month after the warranty expired and he did the repair for the cost of parts only.. i definitely would recommend him

Description of Work
rebuilt and replaced transmissions in two different vehicles

Work Completed On 10/21/2012

06/27/2014

Kelley C.

Work Completed On 02/23/2014

05/21/2014

Randy Y.

I could not ask for better service. My daughters 2004 Mazda 3 would not shift out of 2nd gear. After managing to limp the car home I contacted Gary based upon reviews on Angies List. I contacted Gary while at work and he arranged to have the car towed from my home to his location same day. At that time Gary indicated it might be 2 to 3 days before he could evaluate the condition of the transmission. As promissed he called me a few days later and described the problems with the transmission and the cost associated witht the repair / rebuild. I had done some research and had a pretty good idea of what I was facing and Gary's estimates were in line with expectations. He also gave me very good insight into what might increase the cost once they opened up the transmission and got a good look. I authorized Gary to do the work and upon further inspection an additional part or two was required but certainly did not take the total cost much higher than originally discussed. Gary also mentioned that one axel was bent and needed replaced so we elected to both at the cost of parts only. I appreciate Garys willingness to work with me and provide fair and honest evaluation of the situation. I had no doubt serious work would be required as my daughter drives the wheels of that car with less than proper maintenance. Gary made it easy, we did everything over the phone and I actually did not meet him until I picked up the car. It has been over a month now and the transmission has given us no issues. I was amazed at how smoothly it shifts after the work. I highly recomment Garys Transmission, this kind of repair is never fun but Gary made it about as painless as it could be.

Description of Work
Rebuilt transmission, replaced rear axels on 2004 Mazda 3

Work Completed On 04/10/2014

03/03/2014

rebuilt transmission

Description of Work
rebuilt transmission

Work Completed On 07/10/2010

02/08/2014

Derek G.

Gary did a good job of explaining the type of transmission that I had and giving me a ballpark estimate (very reasonable price) before starting work. He also told me that it would be a good time to replace the rear main seal on the engine (it has been seeping for a couple of years). When I picked the truck up the A/C was blowing hot (warm day in January) on the way home. I called Gary and told him about the issue. Even though they were closing up, he told me to turn around and bring it back, he would wait on me. He explained the issue (just needed to disconnect the battery to reset the computer) and took care of it right away. The truck is noticeably stronger now and runs like new. I really like that he will service the transmission in a year as part of his warranty. I would not hesitate to use Gary again for any transmission needs.

Description of Work
Gary rebuilt the transmission on my 2002 GMC Yukon XL Denali.

Work Completed On 01/21/2014

01/21/2014

Work Completed On 04/11/2011

09/20/2013

John B.

The work was done right. No problems. Gary gives a 1 year warranty on all of his work

Description of Work
Rebuilt the transmission in my Astro

Work Completed On 08/13/2012

09/13/2013

catie B.

Luckily we haven't had a need for transmission services, but we would certainly return. Just like you get a feeling from a mechanic that they're shady...you also get a good feeling when you know they're treating you right and not over charging you.

Description of Work
It has been a while since the work was done and we no longer own the vehicle, but it was a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We had also called several places trying to get an estimate on the problem and work. Every place was really high and seemed shady. Gary was referred to us by a friend. He was very friendly and helpful and I believe it was right about Thanksgiving when the work was performed. My car was only with him for about 2 days. The linkage in my gear shifter was off and causing problems with the transmission shifting properly. He replaced the linkage component and the car ran smoothly.

Work Completed On 11/22/2006