Flamingo Automotive

With Angi since January 2007

3512 Guadalupe St

Austin, TX 78705

Flamingo Automotive has been a trusted name in Automotive Service since 1989. Specializing in Japanese and German vehicles, Flamingo provides everything from factory scheduled maintenance to full-service diagnostics and repair. We pride ourselves on offering dealership quality service at more reasonable rates....

03/06/2018

Jim B.

There's no better place in town! One of my radiators went out and he replaced it for free since I only had it for a year and said that part was probably faulty and he replaced it, so you can't beat that!

Description of Work
We use them auto services for the past 10 years. Usually for repairs since they are specialists in auto repair so you can't beat that!

01/12/2016

Laura S.

Description of Work
Joe always does a great job and keeps my cost down.

01/12/2016

Jerry R.

01/10/2016

Frances N.

05/14/2015

Ezio A.

I took my truck in for a routine oil change and to investigate a strong shake in the front end, which I had been experiencing for about a month in an intermittent fashion, sometimes when braking, sometimes when accelerating, sometimes at speed. I would normally hate going to a mechanic with such an open-ended problem, but I have faith in Joe and the crew at Flamingo to always give customers the best advice based on the customer's best interest. It turned out that the problem was the result of uneven tire wear, which was easily solved by putting the two best tires on the front of the vehicle. Joe took me for a drive around the neighborhood to show me the results and discuss with me how all the other potential issues did not constitute a problem at this time. There was no structural damage (I had mentioned that I had hit a curb on a storm drain during a u-turn), the brakes were still good and there was no rotor warp, and the balancing and alignment of the front end was fine. He did recommend I get new tires, as the ones I had on were nearing 50k miles. He could have easily sold a new set of brakes to me, or make up a number of other issues that would have been impossible for me to confirm the veracity of. Instead he simply told me the honest truth and fixed the problem with less than an hour of labor. He had also mentioned the air filter needing to be changed, and when I asked him his opinion about reusable filters he expressed his general appreciation for them, as "it just doesn't make sense to throw a filter in the trash every year or so", again foregoing some easy immediate profit for the shop in the interest of giving me the best advice. I had already make peace with the idea of needing a new brake job, and was able to instead use that money on new rims and tires for the truck, which I will have Joe put on the truck this week. I have been taking vehicles to be fixed at Flamingo for a decade, and this kind of experience is typical of every interaction I have had with them. By being straightforward and honest Joe might occasionally lose some profit in the short term, but his attitude, and his vested interest in the reputation of his business, pay off with dividends in creating a satisfied and loyal customer base. I am extremely satisfied with the service I get at Flamingo, very happy with knowing that I'm supporting a locally owned independent business, and never hesitate to recommend Joe and Flamingo to anyone in Austin who needs work done on their cars.

Description of Work
Oil change, identify problem with front end shake.

Category auto repair, car tires

03/30/2014

Suzanne B.

The work done at Flamingo has always been excellent and reasonably priced. It is wonderful to trust your mechanic as an honest guy who stands behind his work.

Description of Work
We have been going to Joe and the guys at Falmingo for years. They have kept all our cars, including a 16 year of Porsche Boxter, running beautifully.

09/26/2013

Sandy Z.

They are really great and give you very personalized service. They have a great knowledge of the vehicles and the customers that helps them do a great job and they are very honest.

Description of Work
I have used them for all sorts of repairs to my vehicle for a long time now.

Category auto repair, car tires, car inspections

09/23/2013

Mich S.

Whenever I take my Hondas here for service, everything is explained to me beforehand. The pricing is fair, and the service is friendly and honest. These guys care about the work that they do, and they care about their customers.

Description of Work
Inspection - but I have taken my Hondas here for years for any service needed. They are kind, professional, and timely.

09/16/2013

Steve M.

I've been going to Joe for years. He's definitely the best mechanic in town in my opinion. Deep knowledge of cars and totally fair and upfront every time.

Description of Work
The car was losing all power very suddenly and mysteriously. Joe and his guys tried to puzzle out what was wrong and made a few fixes but when I got it back the problem persisted, so they took it in again, lent me a car at no charge, and kept testing and trying things until they worked out the issue.

Category auto repair, car inspections

07/01/2013

Susan S.

I have taken my cars for years to Flamingo Automotive and I would not go anywhere else. They're fabulous. Joe only works on Toyotas and Hondas and I think he doesn't do like Ford and stuff but it's a wonderful place. The service is incredible, they're honest, Joe is really good at old cars and he's good at servicing. He sees if your car's brakes are looking okay but within the next probably 9 months, you'll going to need to replace your rear brakes, kind of telling you what's ahead for you on your car, it's just a lot of really old fashioned service, just really, really good. When my daughter started driving and she had a fender bender, we took it in there to get it fixed 'cause we couldn't drive the car without getting it fixed and she was really driving too fast I can tell by what happened and what was going on so I talked to my daughter and I talked to Joe and he said, you're going too fast and she said I know we already talked about that. Another time, she had to take her car in and I forgot to give her a check to do it and I never gave her my credit card and I forgot that she doesn't have any money when she would pick up her car and Joe said, no big deal, I will get it to your mom the next time she's in, now where's a place that's going to give you that kind of service. He and his crew are amazing, you can trust the repair to be done right the first time, most repairs are done in a day and no problem, I wouldn't go anywhere else, I recommend them all the time.

Description of Work
I used Flamingo Automotive a couple of weeks ago, I have a new car so it's a 5,000 mile check-up. They also changed the oil and stuff so it was like $60 or $70, something like that.

05/23/2013

Beverly L.

They were excellent. The only problem was that I had to wait a little bit. It takes a long time because they have a really good reputation. They have very good prices and quality.

Description of Work
I had my oil changed and brakes.

06/30/2012

Mich S.

Flamingo Automotive are honest and reliable.

Description of Work
Flamingo Automotive completed an oil change on my car.

03/19/2011

Chandra M.

We have four cars and have taken each of them to Flamingo over the years. They are always professional, honest, fair, and do an excellent job.

Description of Work
Went in for an annual inspection and they found that our breaks and tires also needed replacing/fixing.

Category auto repair, car tires, car inspections

12/13/2010

Michael R.

I've known these guys for a very long time and they are always honest, up front, and provide a good service.

Description of Work
I had an 80000 mile tune up on my car.

12/06/2010

GEORGE B.

I have used them for everything at one point or another. They are honest and do a good job. I like them.

Description of Work
I use Flamingo Automotive for auto service. I have been going to them for 20 years. I last went there for a tune-up.

08/16/2010

Peter W.

They are friendly and gave good service. I would use that service again in the future if needed.

Description of Work
They performed an oil change for me.

05/02/2010

Michael J.

I did arrive about 30 minutes late and they were incredibly busy. I checked on the car several times, ending up going to Starbucks nearby. Thankfully, I was able to get on the wireless at Starbucks to do work while I waited four hours. I was asked where I wanted to have the "two tires" installed when I left instructions the tires were in the back seat and trunk (could not put all four in one place). When I was finally able to pick up the car (needed to find it first), I was asked not to come back because they only work on foreign cars. That was news to me. I was not aware domestic cars are different on tire mounting.

Description of Work
Installation of tires I brought with me. I waited four hours to have it done. Short valve stems were used to replace the long valve stems. The long stems are needed in order to be able to read the tire pressures. learning to adapt.

Category car tires

01/18/2010

RICHARD L.

Great. Joe and the guys always take care of us. Whether we are spending $30 or $1,000, they care about our cars and our business.

Description of Work
This time it was an oil change (with full synthetic) and tire rotation. And a fuse that kept blowing.

Category auto repair, car tires

10/05/2009

Bob P.

I have known them since the year 2002. It is a good and honest auto shop. They work on Japanese and German cars. They also work on Volvos. I used to work for Flamingo Automotives, years ago.

Description of Work
I use Flamingo Automotive. The last time I took my car to them was two months ago. They did a technical inspection on my car.

Category car inspections

02/21/2009

Tyler A.

The service was excellent. I will use their service again in the future.

Description of Work
I took my vehicle to Flamingo Automotive for a routine servicing.

11/09/2007

JEFF B.

It went well. Besides getting the 7500 mile service, my windshield wipers were not working properly. They accurately diagnosed the problem, called me and I authorized them to replace the windshield wiper motor. Cost is in line with what other mechanics charge in the area, so my grade of C means the cost seemed to be average compared with other providers in the area.

Description of Work
Flamingo performed a 7500 mile servicing and replaced a broken windshield wiper motor.

09/18/2007

KELLY R.

Flamingo explained what I needed and what would be done. They were professional and honest and communicated with me well. They were completely personable and I felt safe trusting them with my car.

Description of Work
Flamingo replaced the A/C compressor and belt in my 1993 Honda Civic.

09/18/2007

GEORGE B.

I have used them for fifteen years and they have done larger jobs on my cars as well. They are always honest and their prices are reasonable. What I like most is that they get the work done fast.

Description of Work
He replaced a tire on my 2005 Subaru Outback.

Category car tires

02/06/2007

MICHAEL M.

I've never had Flamingo do a bad job, as far as the repairs go. But they really did a terrible diagnostic job for me recently. I took the car in before I went on a long trip and asked for a complete check-up, since I was heading to far west Texas. They replaced the clutch and engine mounts. I headed out to big bend, and the car broke down in the middle of the desert. It turned out the radiator had rotted out, and they hadn't bothered to check it. I called to complain, and they agreed that they should have caught that, and promised to call back. They never did. I was a long term customer and it made me feel like they were too busy to really care. I'll go somewhere else now.

Description of Work
I've used Flamingo for different jobs, including a new clutch, changing the timing belt, replacing struts, replacing engine mounts and others.

01/17/2007

STEPHEN E.

They are honest dependable and do not try to ''up sell'' you for service you don't need. They do work only on German and Japanese cars. They will be honest with you about how much usable ''life'' an older car might have, even when it means they may lose some of your service business. They are appointment only. They are not the cheapest in town, but I have learned the hard way that is is most often worth paying more to get it right the first time. Everyone I have referred to them has left happy as well. They will rent cars, take you to work after you drop off, and will do pre sale inspections of used cars. They also are great about just general car advice, the convinced me the Honda Civic was worry free and they have been right.

Description of Work
I have taken five different cars to these guys over the last decade (my current Honda, two Mazda's, a Mitsubishi, and an Infiniti). Over the years this has been everything from oil changes, new motors mounts, new seals, CV joints, brakes, tires, batteries, alternators, you name it. They also do state inspections.

Category auto repair, car inspections

Auto Service
    Auto Tires
    Auto Inspections

Performance modifications, Track day prep, Restoration work. Japanese & German Auto Repair.