Coventry Animal Hospital

Founded 2006 • With Angi since August 2009

4.3

1620 New Schuylkill Road

Pottstown, PA 19465

Coventry Animal Hospital is a full-service Veterinarian serving Chester, Berks, And Montgomery Counties. We offer primary care services, as well as surgical, boarding, grooming, and even house call services! Call today to schedule an appointment! we are not a 24 hour clinic....

06/02/2014

Rachel W.

Coventry is local and easy to get to, which is why we started going there. The first visit with our older cat yielded us finding out she had fairly severe hyperthyroidism which was brought in when we noticed she had a rather large lump on her neck which turned out to be a goiter. The initial visit cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $250, for the full blood panel, office visit, and medication. At the time we believed this to be fairly affordable. We did wait about 30 minutes in the front of the vet waiting for a room and another 15 once in the room waiting for the vet to arrive. We got to spend maybe 5 minutes discussing things with her, which given that she found the problem was okay. Our cat did get somewhat better over time. Several months down the line, it's time for Nayru to be checked again. They inform us that it'll be $55 for the office visit and $150 again for the full blood panel. That was out of our price range and seemed really expensive just a blood test for a cat, so we asked them if there was anything they could do. We were told over the phone that the price would be $70 for just the t4. We brought her in the next day to get a refill on her meds and have the test done. They took her from us and 5 minutes later brought her right back out after having taken the blood. Several days later, we hear back that they upping her dosage. So as far as doing the work, they're fine. They tried to switch which type of medication she took to a chewable which cost $40 more than I was prepared to pay. They switched it back when I told them no without much issue but it definitely seemed like an attempt to charge more. It came time again for her blood to be checked this week, but after looking over angie's list I decided to call around to other vets to see what their prices were for the same blood test and office visits. This time, Coventry upped the charge by $8 and told me just the t4 would be $78.80. Another vet quoted me $48 with a less expensive office visit charge. I'd pet sit for several years and seen so many people using and recommending this new vet as well, so we're switching to them and giving them a shot. It really is the price when it comes down to it. These guys charge more, little or lots, than every other vet around here we've talked to.

Description of Work
Collected a blood sample to test for and treated hyperthyroidism activity in my older cat.

Category veterinarian

[member name removed] Thank you for your candid review of our practice. We were pleased to hear that your experience at our hospital from a medical standpoint was a positive one. I would like to take the opportunity to offer some explanation concerning the other issues raised in your review. The first issue mentioned is wait time. We acknowledge that wait times can be extended at times, but this is because we accommodate everyone needing emergent medical assistance whether an appointment is available or not. I think you would agree that 30 minute wait times are no longer than one would experience in any other physicians office. Price. We have received other reviews in the past concerning the perceived high cost of our services. Our answer is simple - it's all about expectations. We know that locally ( as well as nationally ) our prices are lower than average. We also know that you can call any practice at any time and find a particular test or service that is less expensive. For those clients who feel that $150 is expensive for "just a blood test for a cat" we admittedly may not be the best fit. We strive to provide optimal medical care for our patients. That said, we are always willing to work with clients with financial constraints. Your review even mentions our offer to waive the office visit by allowing you so see a nurse for the blood draw as well as a less expensive ( and admittedly less ideal ) monitoring option. Up charging. This is where it gets personal. We do not up charge anyone. Ever. When you reference the switching of your medication from a tablet to a more expensive chewable, it was offered in an effort to help you administer the medication more easily - an issue that you yourself had raised. There was certainly no ulterior motive other than trying to give you the tools you needed to successfully medicate your cat. As for the $8 up charge for lab work, there is a simple answer. You were quoted $70 in December of 2013. The commercial labs increase their prices every year in the first quarter. By the time you had called for repeat blood work in June 2014, the lab had raised their prices. In summary, we will never be the cheapest hospital - it is impossible to provide optimal medical care at bargain prices. We will never up sell or up charge - both are unethical. What we will do is to continue to offer the best medical care possible at competitive prices. Your cats were a pleasure to work with and we are sad to see them go. We wish you the best, and we hope that you find what you are looking for at your new hospital.

04/17/2014

Gwendolyn S.

No one could give us any ideas of how to prevent this in the future... We declined all procedures except for the antibiotics to prevent a staph infection in the puncture wounds. We declined the pain reliever and they frowned upon that as well. We stated we would use aspirin as recommended by several of our vets in the past and she adamantly stated and quot;No! There will be stomach ulcers and she will die!and quot; I stated that we had used aspirin with all our dogs for pain relief and they all died of old age, not stomach ulcers. She denied that was true. The normal office visit is $55 and they did not spend extra time with us but somehow the office visit became $75 for no apparent reason. This experience has led us to join Angie's List to find a reputable vet. Upon looking at aspirin on vet sites, aspirin is in the top six over-the-counter pet meds to be supervised under vet care and not to be administered to cats. How about that?

Description of Work
We moved to the area from the Midwest and had exceptional care from our rural vets. We have 5 horses, 3 dogs and two cats. We have been searching for small animal vet care with positive outlook. Our medium size dogs had a brawl with each other over a toy and one had several spots which were bloody but not bleeding. She was limping but has a tendency to whimper at the slightest thought of injury. With that said, we wanted to make sure that there would not be infection to the sight and with a call to the vet, were advised to come in. They were able to see her immediately and as in the past, we were in a room in no time. The tech spoke with us about the situation and started running over all the procedures to perform... Sedation, shaving the sight, cutting open any puncture wounds (two of them) to let them drain, stitches, X-rays, etc... The vet came in and begins to examine our dog with the same protocol. As for professionalism, neither introduced themselves as is the case every time we visit with one of our pets and as she starts to tell us what's necessary her pants allow her backside to show more than anyone would want to see, you know the low-rider style of pants with no belt and a short shirt... Most unpleasant.

Category veterinarian

[Member Name], I was very disappointed to read your most recent review of our hospital. I would embrace the opportunity to discuss the details of this matter further. Clearly there must be more to the story for you to feel compelled to make such strong comments. Perhaps you would be willing to discuss the issues at hand so that we can work toward some sort of resolution? I hope to hear from you soon. Richard D. Marchetti VMD

01/26/2014

LORI C.

We love Dr. Marchetti, who has been our dog's vet since our dog was a puppy (now 11), but their prices really seem to be quite high. It is for that reason alone that I felt compelled to give this clinic a B grade. Unfortunately, because of the cost to keep a pet, we will probably not be able to have any more.

Description of Work
Vet services.

01/31/2013

George K.

Sadie gets car sick whenever the trip is over 30 minutes. We have been getting a puppy medicine for her which helps alot.

Description of Work
Medicine

09/25/2012

Jane C.

I took my 6 yr old cat and our newly adopted kitten in for a checkup and shots. The Dr. understood that my older cat became very lethargic and went off his food for a few days when he received both shots at the same time so he gave him his rabies shot and let me bring him back for his distemper the following week at no and quot;office visitand quot; charge - just the cost of the second shot. It worked much better for my cat - he had no side effects doing it that way. Everyone at Coventry Animal Hospital is professional, kind, and it's obvious that they all love animals. Prices are fair - much better than one of the large chains that I used previously. I would definitely take my pets back there again and recommend them to my family and friends

Description of Work
Yearly examinations, distemper & rabies shots.

06/16/2012

Jennifer J.

The vets at this practice are punctual, caring, and have a good bedside manner. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
I have gone to this vet for two years now for annual check-ups and lyme and heartworm testing.

03/09/2012

Leslie David H.

Coventry Animal Hospital and it's predecessor, Peterman Rd Animal Hosp, have been caring for our dogs and cats since 1997 and we've had a lot of them. The original vet/owner had sold Peterman Road to a corporate vet company and we were less than thrilled with the changes/new vets. Coventry then purchased the practice and things were looking up. We were pleased with the vets (Dr Gardiner was the one we usually saw). However, over the past few years, we felt there was a decline in the practice. The front desk staff were not as friendly and welcoming as in previous years. Also, it became more difficult to get an appt quickly. Used to be that you could call one day and get an appt for an exam the next day. I do not know if they've reduced their evening hours and that's why appts are harder to come by for those of us who work full-time. There are a number of vets closer to us and we discussed finding a new provider. The quality and friendliness that made it worthwhile to drive those extra miles were no longer there. The final straw was December 5th. Our 14-yr old beagle who had been a patient there since 1997 was ill. When we got home from work, he looked bloated and with his advanced age (and that bloat is something you don't put off examining), we wanted him seen right away. I called Coventry at 4:50 pm and was told that they were getting ready to close and to call back the next day if he still wasn't feeling well. I emphasized that he was 14 and really needed to be seen. They would do nothing for us that day. I called a vet we'd used for our newly adopted cat and explained the situation. They had us come right away for an exam. Turned out that our boy had blood in his abdominal cavity (she suspected cancer or a tumor that had burst) and we had him put to sleep. The stark difference in how we were treated by the two vet practices (who were given the same information) finalized our decision to no longer take our pets to Coventry Animal Hospital. It's a shame because it used to be a good vet practice.

Description of Work
annual exam & vaccinations for our dog

Category veterinarian

To the family. We all were very saddened to hear about the passing of Jethro. You gave him a great 14 years. Thank you for the kind words that you were able to write about our hospital and our veterinarians. We all work extremely hard to provide the best medical care for our patients. Thank you also for the frank feedback regarding your experience at our hospital over the years. You are correct that since our purchase of Peterman Road Animal Hospital in 2006 we have undertaken the huge task of rebuilding a failing practice from the ground up. Since that time the practice has recovered and grown beyond our expectations. With that growth has come many challenges. Appointment availability is one such area. While emergency appointments are always available during normal business hours, you are correct that there is more of a wait for those less emergent visits than in years prior. I am unsure what happened on the evening you called about Jethro. You should have been offered either an appointment with us, or directed to one of the referral services if our team determined that his issues were too emergent to handle in house. From what you have said, neither of these options were offered - and for that, I sincerely apologize. I have advised the staff of your specific case and we have used it as a learning experience in how to better handle situations such as this in the future. We very much appreciate your patronage over the last six years and we wish you all the best in the future.

10/04/2011

joshua R.

They answered my every question, and made the process so easy! We will be seeing them next Wednesday!

Description of Work
I called them to book an appointment for my dog Stella. We moved about 2 months ago from the lehigh valley, and needed to find a closed vet for her. I called Coventry animal hospital, to find out how to get her medical records, and to make my next apt.

02/08/2011

LORI C.

Dog is 8, and has been going to same doctor his whole life. Like the Vet personally, but the business seems to be more interested in fees than anything else.

Description of Work
Annual checkup, including refills on heartworm and flea&tick medications. Updated immunizations too.

08/04/2009

MATT B.

The assistants are really nice and very caring. We have always gotten in quickly, at least by the next day.

Description of Work
Coventry Animal Hospital is where we go for our veterinary service needs. We had our dog in to see the doctor because she was sick recently. They ran several tests and gave her medication.

Veterinarians
    Animal Grooming
    Animal Boarding Kennels

routine and emergency surgery, dental scaling and extraction, radiography, preventative care, internal medicine, grooming, boarding, housecalls, physical therpay/rehab services, behaviorist

24 hour emergency service, ultrasound, oxygen chamber