THOMPSON PLUMBING & HEATING

Founded 1954 • With Angi since May 2004

2017 BRANDYWINE ST

Philadelphia, PA 19130

Accredited Member of the Better Business Bureau - Member of the Master Plumbers Association of Philadelphia - Member of the Pennsylvania and National Association of Plumbing, Heating and Cooling Contractors - Member of National Comfort Institute - Past Plumbing Instructor and Coordinator of Plumbing Apprentice Training for the Master Plumbers Association of Philadelphia...

11/11/2016

Brian C.

Very good experience. Thompson was at my house 45 mins after calling (after trying numerous other companies, must of which didn't even answer their phone). The plumber John who arrived was very professional and obviously knew what he was doing. I appreciate them getting out there on such short notice and would certainly use/recommend them again. Thanks!

Description of Work
Bathroom faucet/drain hook-up

04/14/2016

Christine L.

His instructions worked and my disposal does not have to be replaced. I think this is a rarity. He could have easily come out and fixed it in 5 minutes and charged me for the service call. Thanks for being so nice and saving me money!

Description of Work
I called to ask him to come out and check a garbage disposal and he was nice enough to give me the instructions on how to fix it for free to save me the service call.

10/03/2012

James D.

Great service, VERY EXPENSIVE. I called Mr. Thompson when I installed new cabinets in an apartment because he is my neighbor (his business is located three blocks from me). I needed my new sink and dishwasher connected to the cut water supply, the disposal installed, and a drain cleared. Very routine job without any complications or difficulties. Mr. Thompson returned my call promptly and his associate, John, did a great job but at a ridiculous price. He charges $150.00 an hour and the clock starts when his tech leaves for the job. It took John 30min to arrive?? Apparently, I just spent $75 before the guy rang my doorbell. John evaluated the job, returned to his shop to retrieve the necessary tools and supplies, and returned to start work. This took 1 hour = another $150.00. Now, I've spent $225.00 before any work has even been performed. The actual job took 1.75 hours to complete but I was charged for 2 hours labor (oh yes, they round up by the hour). Final bill: 3.5 hours = $525.00 total labor. Also consider that half of this time was offsite with no accountability. John could have stopped to get a sandwich for all I know. I called Mr. Thompson to express my shock and frustration at both the final bill and his policies but he was unsympathetic and just kept repeating that quality plumbing is expensive and parking is hard to find in my neighborhood. I was ripped off and find this business unethical and frankly immoral. You can find a "quality" plumber with far more reasonable prices and fair policies elsewhere. ALWAYS GET AN ESTIMATE AHEAD OF TIME AND DON"T CALL THOMPSON PLUMBING. **** UPDATE *****: I was surprised and initially excited to see the service provider responded to my review. Unfortunately, Mr. Thompson's response is defensive, factual inaccurate, and deceptive. There was no "old corroded faucet" present or removed! The two water lines were already cut to allow for the installation of the new cabinets and a new faucet was already installed with connected supply lines in the new countertop when the plumber arrived for the hookup. Also, the water was already turned off when the plumber arrived and no special flushing or purge was performed beyond turning the on faucet to see if it worked and check for leaks. In addition, I even turned the water on and off in the basement to help the plumber save time. I appreciate a provider responding to customer complaints but only if truthful and helpful. I have since had the same service provided by a different local, licensed plumber in an identical apartment one floor below for a total cost of $360.00, less than 2/3 the price charged by Thompson. In the process, I called three different local plumbers to ask for quotes and if any of them charged for an estimate or travel to the job site and they all laughed and said no. Last, arguing that my home is 5 blocks vs 3 blocks from the service providers location to justify price gouging a neighbor just seems silly and indicative of Thompson's petty attitude. Even with the service providers distance correction, 90 min total time to travel back and forth 5 blocks distance (0.3 miles according to Google maps) at a charge of $225 before work even begins is ridiculous. ****** ALWAYS get an estimate before authorizing work and NEVER PAY for travel time or an estimate from a local service provider for standard work *******

Description of Work
New supply lines to sink and dishwasher, new drain connection, installation of garbage disposal.

Category plumbing, home remodeling

Member was charged for the work performed on a time and material basis in a safe professional manner. The old faucet that was on the sink was corroded and had to be removed carefully to prevent the countertop from being damaged. The water lines in the building also had to be drained to install 3 new shut off valves in the kitchen and the water piping had to be purged of air and flushed of debris when the water was turned back on. To complete the work professionally without causing damage to Member's home, which is actually 5 blocks from the shop, had taken 3.5hrs. to complete. Legal parking is very difficult to find in center city Philadelphia neighborhoods. Member's work was done professionally at a fair price.

11/15/2010

Ann G.

This was an amazing and rare experience. After calling several other plumbing companies and not even receiving phone calls in return( I guess the recession isn't hurting everyone), I joined Angie's list and found Thompson Plumbing close to my home. I called and the phone was immediately picked up by Mr. Thompson who had his plumber at my house within 2 hours. The repair was completed but later in the day I noticed the toilet's intake valve dripping on the floor, I called back and once again, within an hour the plumber was there to fix it and did not charge because they felt it should have been right from the start. Since then, everything has been fine! What a classy and fair and professional business. It is a pleasure to recommend them.

Description of Work
There was a leak in the tank of my toilet. The plumber basically replaced the broken parts of the mechanism and added a new flapper as a preventive measure.

05/20/2010

missy M.

it went very well. I got home from work and my heater would not come on. turns out the pilot light had gone out. they would not/could not send anyone out that evening but someone came the next morning, in the middle of one of our 20 inch snow storms. I thought the price was steep for just lighting the pilot.

Description of Work
pilot light in furnace

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

To advertise for your convenience ,send a registered, certified, licensed and insured contractor and a truck to a client's home in a timely manner to safely diagnose a problem and correct the problem is a service initiated by the client. The client is responsible for paying a minimal 1hr service call for our work.

10/17/2008

Karen G.

It took about 1.5 weeks to get a time for them to come out, but he came right when scheduled and did the work in a timely and efficient manner. He was professional and took the time to answer some of my questions on unrelated tasks. He was thorough and took special efforts to keep the area clean.

Description of Work
We had our yearly furnace maintenance done before the winter.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

04/09/2008

LORRAINE C W.

The faucet in my kitchen sink became detached. Mr. Thompson stopped by the next day in the morning on his way to another job. My faucet was under warranty so he told me who to contact for a replacement. There was no work for him at that time so he did not charge me. I thought of another small job to give him since he took the trouble to stop by. He fixed the pop-up drain in my bathroom sink, but did not charge me for that either.

Description of Work
Called for an estimate but he fixed the pop-up drain in my bathroom sink for free.

04/04/2007

CHRISTINA G.

We woke up to 9" of water in our basement and were frantic. They had an answering service, so we could schedule an appointment at 7:15 in the morning, after talking to a live person. They said they would be out late morning, and actually arrived early at 9:15. Within 20 minutes the drain was cleared and water was flowing out of the house rather than filling our basement. Very professional, quick, and responsive. The guy who did the work, also was great, and explained how, and why the drain was clogging showing me with a flashlight. He even gave tips for other plumbing issues in the house. A life saver when your basement is quickly filling with water! Also, gave a 30 day guarantee on their work.

Description of Work
Cleared our outside drain/plumbing stack to the street.

Category drain cleaning

05/22/2006

Chris C.

Vince and John arrived exactly on time and managed to clear a clogged sewer drain that another sewer company was unable to clear, just by plunging it forcefully several times. They originally showed up thinking they would have to tear up the concrete to reach the obstruction. Luckily I got away with only $125 bill for roughly 45 minutes work. They really know their stuff.

Description of Work
Cleared clogged outdoor drain.

Category drain cleaning

04/11/2006

Chris C.

John arrived on time and was very efficient. He worked about 90 minutes due to some rusted metal nuts that had to be cut off with a rotary saw. He checked thoroughly for any leaks prior to leaving and cleaned everything up.

Description of Work
Removed old rusted-on bathroom faucet and installed new faucet assembly, basin drain and pop-up lever (I supplied the new faucet).

02/04/2005

EVELYN W.

HE WAS VERY NICE AND HELPFUL OVER THE PHONE. HE TOLD ME EXACTLY WHAT TO DO WITH THE DISPOSAL UNIT TO GET IT WORKING. IT TURNS OUT THEIR WAS A BREAKER BUTTON I NEEDED TO PUSH BECAUSE IT HAD SHUT DOWN. HE DOESN'T COME TO MY AREA, BUT HE DID RECOMMEND A FRIEND OF HIS WHO DOES SERVICE MY AREA FOR PLUMBING.

Description of Work
THE COMPANY DID SOME GENERAL PLUMBING WORK, REPAIRED THE GARAGE DISPOSAL AND TOILET.

05/04/2004

VINCE IS VERY EXPERIENCED AND KNOWS THE MARKET WELL. HIS WORK IS GOOD. HE AND HIS STAFF ARE VERY RELAIBLE.

Description of Work
VARIUOS PLUMBING JOBS. INSTALLED GAS LINES AND WATER LINES FOR RETRO-FIT FOR OLD HOUSE.

Zoom Drain

Here at Zoom Drain, we are best known for fast response times and our ability to provide focused solutions to drain & sewer problems. From sinks, toilets and tubs to main lines and sewers, our team of drain & sewer professionals are ready to provide you with fast, expert services.

Petro Home Services

With over 100 years experience, we know how to keep you comfortable, safe and help you save on energy costs. Our local 24/7 customer service and support means automatic heating oil deliveries and our service response is always fast. We never run out of heating oil plus our pricing and payment plans are designed to help you manage your costs all year round. Experience the Petro difference today!

Strive For Services Heating & Cooling

We are locally owned and owner operated out of Philadelphia, PA and provide a wide range of HVAC service. We look forward to working with you! Please call us or click for an estimate today!

PLUMBING REPAIRS & NEW INSTALLATIONS, WATER HEATER INSTALLATIONS, DRAIN CLEANING, HYDRONIC HEATING REPAIRS & INSTALLATION OF GAS FIRED BOILERS, CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING- SELL NSI3000 LOW LEVEL CARBON MONOXIDE MONITORS FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION FOR CHILDREN AND ELDERLY. SEE WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION.

INSTALL HOT AIR FURNACES OR SERVICE ANY AIR CONDITIONING EQUIPMENT.