Animal Hospital of Dauphin County

Founded 1962 • With Angi since October 2008

241 S HERSHEY RD

Harrisburg, PA 17112

The Animal Hospital of Dauphin County has been caring for pets in the greater Harrisburg and Hershey communities since 1962. We started out in a small, three-bedroom house (now home to our business offices). After several expansions, we now work in a 6,000 square-foot, fully equipped animal hospital. Today our five veterinarians and support staff of greater than 20 skilled employees are focused on providing the best care possible for your pets. This starts with state-of-the art diagnostics and wellness care. It also includes listening carefully to you, our partner in your pet’s healthcare. We focus on prevention and early detection of diseases, which allows for more effective treatment and a longer life for our pets. We update our testing methods and treatments through continuing education and by consulting with specialists in many disciplines....

01/16/2017

Suzanne W.

The vet didn't seem to be as thorough as my previous vet.

Description of Work
My dog needed a complete checkup and shots. She also had a questionable lump on her chest.

11/02/2016

Cynthia W.

02/10/2016

John C.

09/30/2015

Jamie W.

Description of Work
I wished I could give them an A+.

03/04/2015

Brenda K.

Description of Work
Everything went very well. Performed Exam and cleaned and dressed abcess and administered shots

01/28/2015

Mark C.

Description of Work
Test lump for cancer

01/27/2015

Stephanie L.

From the scheduling of the initial visit to the follow-up phone calls, everything about this experience was top-notch. The appointment scheduler was patient and took a great deal of time giving me estimates for the procedures. The initial consultation was smooth. Every staff person was kind and gentle. Most importantly, they were respectful of my budget. All charges were explained BEFORE any expense was incurred. They discussed various options with me and got my approval before doing anything. Our 10-year old dog was like a puppy (pain free and playing) after her broken tooth was removed and the infection on her leg cleared up. I received two follow-up phone calls - one from the staff to see how my dog was doing after the surgery and a second call from the doctor who performed the surgery to give me some information about the lab results of the infection. Very good customer service and the over-all experience was excellent.

Description of Work
My 10-year old Labrador retriever had a dental cleaning and a broken tooth extraction. She also had an infection on her leg which was drained and treated with antibiotics.

11/17/2014

Jacqueline V.

The good: The vet, Jennifer Fletcher, is delightful. She's very caring, and the kitten likes her and her assistants. The bad: The price charged is very high for cat care. The estimate for spaying the kitten is over $350 or $425 if we microchip the kitten. To date, the and quot;freeand quot; kitten from a farm has had 3 visits totaling about $470 and is not yet spayed. The free first visit offer from a referral was not provided. The approach to deworming (Revolution only) at the initial visit at 9 weeks of age led to an emergency visit because the kitten developed severe diarrhea. The staff did not advise me to bring a fecal sample to the first visit, the vet acknowledged that the kitten showed signs of worms but did not recommend a dewormer. At the second (emergency) visit a more traditional deworming med was provided along with subcutaneous fluids and a probiotic to add to food. This visit should not been needed and was another $160. The third visit and likely my final visit is described under what the provider did above. This practice is modern and forward thinking. It makes sense for purebred cats and dogs but not a mixed breed and quot;freeand quot; barn kitten.

Description of Work
This third appointment was a follow up visit for the new kitten and included one vaccine, fecal test, and ear cleaning.

06/30/2014

Edward B.

Description of Work
Took the dog in for her annual check up and shots. The staff was cordial as always and the doctor took the time to explain what she was doing as well as be sure the dog was calm before begining the examination. Cudos to Dr. Zajak and staff.

06/08/2014

Steven G.

The ailment was solved.

Description of Work
Bladder surgery on our pet.

06/03/2014

SARAH H.

We did have quite a wait, even with an appointment, but there was an emergency that came in, so it was understandable. The office staff was awesome, providing my busy 3 year old with crayons and paper to keep her distracted from the long wait time. The vet tech and the vet were both very nice. Although I haven't had a chance to call her back, the vet actually called me twice to see how my cat is doing. They are very personable, and have a genuine interest in my pet's health. I will definitely continue to use their services for my pet care needs.

Description of Work
We went for my cat to have an examination. We needed some guidance on how to adjust his diet because he is quite overweight.

10/07/2013

Carol S.

It went perfect!!!

Description of Work
Pulled a tooth from a 9 month old female Sheltie

08/20/2013

Daniel L.

We've taken our 1 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi here since she was 10 weeks old. Everything has gone smoothly each time. Quick in and out times, answered our numerous questions and the customer service staff is always responsive. Great place for your furry family member.

Description of Work
Heartworm and pest control prevention.

07/02/2013

Phillip F.

They are always outstanding, There a lot closer vets to me and I choose to go there because the veterinarians treat my pets fantastically.

Description of Work
I go to Animal Hospital of Dauphin County for the annual check up for my dog and cat. They also did surgeries on my animals before and gives all the shots for my pet.

06/29/2013

Denise V.

We love it here and highly recommend it to other pet owners.

Description of Work
We have taken our dog to the Animal Hospital of Dauphin County for the past 9 years. Everyone there is wonderful to him and we particularly love the veterinarians who treat Max so well. He is a special needs dog and we have seen a tremendous amount of patience and understanding from all the vets.

12/21/2012

Jeffrey B.

Dr. Sarsfield is very good at explaining the complex anatomy of our pets in a way that we understand. He is thorough and concise. You can tell after talking with him for just a few minutes that he is experienced, compassionate, and intelligent about animals. He has always treated us with honesty and sensitivity.

Description of Work
Diagnosis of 3 dogs that we have owned for more than ten years. Service included x-rays, examination, blood work, and consutation

10/12/2011

Carol S.

I called Dr Sansfield with concerns; he arranged an appointment the next day. He is a wonderful vet, very professional and staff is friendly too.

Description of Work
I went to ANIMAL HOSITAL OF DAUPHIN COUNTY to seek visit and blood work.

09/12/2011

Gary P.

To: Dauphin County Animal Hospital Re: Treatment and care to patient Pookie Petricone   This letter is in regards to the care our family member received while at your facility. First off we were not happy with the information given prior to his surgery. We were not informed of the likleyhood of the need for extended round the clock care that he was possibly or likely to need. Care your facility was not prepared to give, given that fact your facility should not have accepted the job and should have suggested in the patient's best interest that the surgery be done at another facility that could give him the required post-op care he needed to avoid unnecesssary transport. But then that would have meant a loss of revenue on your part. Since you did accept the job I feel you sould have already had arrangements in place should he need care you could not provide, instead we were informed approximatley 30 minutes before you closed on 8/19 the day of his surgery that he needed 24 hour care. Although you did scramble and call and make arrangements at that time for him to be taken at Willow Mill Veterinary Hospital where he was cared for overnight. do to his improved status he was discharged back to your care the next morning. This bring us to our next issue. It would seem that either his feeding PEG tube was either not properly installed or it became dislodged after installation, in either case your facility did not properly ascertain before feeding that the tube was in fact still in his stomach, something that should be done prior to every feeding to prevent food being injected into his body cavity thus causing infection etc. this is also standard procedure with people given the fact that they become dislodged with human beings as well. Since you neglected to do this you were in fact poisoning our cat with the formula/food instead of nourishing him. This was discoverd after again transporting him by the Doctor at Willow Mill later Saturday night when they were checking his tube to feed him they discovered it was not in place. After informing us the surgeon explored Pookie to ascertain what damage had been done and found copious amounts of formula/food equal to several feedings worth all over his insides, i.e. all around his kidneys, even down inside his leg, all put there by your facility due to neglecting to check the placement of the tube in his stomach or rather "not" in his stomach. Prior to the "failed" feedings at your facility Pookie had begun to improve his temperature was stable his blood count was within acceptable levels and was even walking a bit. We feel your neglectful actions have lead to untimely death of our familiy member. Dr. Kepner was present at your facility on 8/20 and had actually suggested we take Pookie home as an option after informing us of his low temp and low blood count. We asked how we were supposed to check his blood count ect. he then stated "well I guess he needs to go back to Willow Mill then", really? How ridiculous was that to suggest? This whole affair was handled poorly from the start, it is clear the surgery should have never been performed at your facility you did not have the ability to give him the post-op care he needed then ultimately your neglect regarding his PEG tube lead to his death. We are convinced given his excellent health other than the tumor that he would have recoverd from his surgery. You should feel ashamed and your actions have caused our family alot of pain and anguish. It's actions like these that make people feel litigious

Description of Work
We had our cat Pookie to this office which was his regular Vet for a tumor removal. For Previous service such as routine check-ups we had few issues although this last check-up my son and I were left in the exam room for a hour at which point they came in an apologized for forgetting about us and were preparing to close. This instance was more advanced care than the office was equipped to handle and should have been up front about and referd us to a clinic that would have provided 24 hour care he was going to need. The following letter will be sent to the office and details what happened...

Category veterinarian

All my colleagues and I at the Animal Hospital of Dauphin County were saddened by the member's loss. Our professional duty to doctor-patient confidentiality prevents us from responding directly to the member's comments, but we at The Animal Hospital of Dauphin County are devoted to providing excellent medical care to all of our patients. All client concerns and complaints are taken seriously and investigated thoroughly. - Dr. Bob Sarsfield, Medical Director, The Animal Hospital of Dauphin County.

02/03/2011

Mary G.

Dr. Sarsfield is the best vet we've ever used. Very thorough, friendly and good at answering all questions. He actually remembers our pets, even though he sees thousands of animals, and if he doesn't actually remember details, he sure is great at reviewing charts and knowing what recent issues our pets have had.

Description of Work
Annual checkup for dog: maintain current vaccines, including for kennel cough; get weighed and check for intestinal issues, screen for Lymes disease.

02/02/2011

John L.

It has been a very good experience and they are excellent. The price was very reasonable concerning all the work that was done and they did a great job. Their services are good and they are personalized. The results are very good and the animals are healthy. Their prices are reasonable. They are our regular vet.

Description of Work
I used Animal Hospital for multiple services including spaying of some pets.

08/29/2009

Thomas H.

The staff and Dr. Kepner were all very considerate, caring and respectful and did everything possible to make the best of a difficult experience. We have taken all of our pets to AHDC for a number of years including our new puppy and have always been pleased with the service provided by the staff and all the veterinarians.

Description of Work
Our dog had reached the end of her life and we had to put her down. The services included euthensia and cremation service.

11/05/2008

glenda W.

He is very professional and is very attentive to the dogs. He seems to care about my dogs' health. He takes time with me and my dogs and explains things thoroughly. I would recommend him and continue to use him.

Description of Work
I go to Dr. Sarsfield because he is the veterinarian for my dogs.

10/08/2008

Ronda S.

I have taken all three of my cats (1 kitten, 2 Senior cats) here. I have had each vet exam one of my pets. They are all very caring and knowledgeable. They do not try to sway you into expensive treatments/procedures. They are especially CURRENT on all the NEW medications and treatments available. For instance, they used a deworming medication which is applied once between the shoulder blades like Frontline, to deworm my new kitten. This was so much easier then several oral treatments of worming solution. Also, my two Senior cats came down with an upper respiratory condition at the same time, they are horrible when it comes to taking oral medications both liquid and pill form. Without even having to ask if they carried the new antibiotic shots which I had recently read about, a one time quick acting treatment, I was informed that was what would be used. I was thrilled and both of my senior cats improved quickly. They also listen and try to work with me on the way I like to care for my pets. Very clean office, friendly office staff, (Katie is great), phone calls returned quickly, appts made quickly. Phone call reminders are made on upcoming appointments.

Description of Work
Routine exam for new kitten including vaccinations, deworming, flea/tick treatment, blood work. Also, exams for senior cats with infections.

Veterinarians
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Wellness programs, wellness exams, surgery, dietary consultation, x-rays, blood tests, pharmacy, hospitalization, dentistry, ultrasound.