The Birth Center

Founded 1978 • With Angi since April 2009

918 County Line Rd

Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

The Birth Center (TBC) provides a midwifery model of women’s health care that is safe, satisfying, and personalized. TBCs services include out-of-hospital maternity care, holistic gynecological care, and health education services for a community of women throughout the Philadelphia region. Since its founding in 1978, TBC has welcomed more than 9,000 babies and provided warm, compassionate health care services to more than 5,800 families. TBC is committed to caring for women and families and believes that a strong partnership and trust between a woman and her caregiver lay the foundation for a future of good health. This approach fosters a community of empowered women and families....

07/16/2014

Jordan D.

My experience at the Birth Center is everything that my husband and I were looking for from the prenatal care up until the birth of our daughter. It was important to us to have a low intervention birth and not be treated like a patient as we would have in a hospital setting. Of all of my appointments (which were as frequent as weekly at the end), I never had to wait to be seen, except once which was a 15 minute wait. This is a pretty good statistic compared to what I hear from my friends' prenatal visits. From our very first appointment, the midwives and nurses were friendly and compassionate. They always took the time to answer any of our questions and never made us feel uncomfortable with the questions we had. In the third trimester, my husband and I took the classes which we felt adequately prepared us for the labor process when having a natural birth. We felt all of our instructors were helpful and informative. I went into labor the day before my due date. I had a long labor at home and when I called and talked to the midwives on call, they helped reassure me that what I was feeling was normal and whether or not it was appropriate to come in. After laboring for over 24 hours at home, I called the Birth Center again expressing my frustration of not understanding whether I was progressing or not. The midwife on call told me I could come in and be checked if it would make me feel better. Sure enough, when I got there I was 5 cm dilated! I had a quick active labor at the birth center (about 3 hours) and used the techniques taught to us in the classes to help cope with the pain. The midwife and nurse caring for me were Jane and Elana. Both were extremely helpful, kind, and compassionate throughout the labor and pushing phase. It was encouraging to have them there helping me through the end of my long labor. Soon enough, I gave birth to our beautiful baby girl. My husband and I could not have been happier with our experience! We were able to spend the following hours alone together in our birthing suite bonding with our new daughter. This privacy and bonding cannot be beat at a hospital birth. At this point it was after midnight and we spent the night just staring at our girl. The next morning we were discharged and went home. We loved that we were able to go back to our own home at this point. The nurses prepared us for the things to look for in mom and baby during our first days home. As if our experience was not good enough, we had a home visit with two nurses after the birth of our daughter. The nurses checked me and my baby while I was laying in the comfort of my own bed. It really can't get better than this! Finally, a few days later, I met with the lactation consultant at the Birth Center who provided my husband and I with a private session to assist with breastfeeding. This meeting helped correct the latch of our daughter and since then breastfeeding has felt a lot more natural. If needed, the lactation consultant is available for group meetings or for follow up private sessions. Finally, two weeks after the birth of my daughter, I received a follow up call from a midwife at the Birth Center. She asked about how I was feeling (both physically and emotionally) and how my daughter was doing. This one-on-one care was very appreciated and made our whole experience at the birth center exactly what we wanted. I cannot thank the midwives, nurses and staff enough for the care we received! I strongly recommend the Birth Center for anyone looking to have very personalized and low-intervention care.

Description of Work
I started receiving prenatal care from the Birth Center when I was 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby and my appointments continued up until the birth of my baby at the Birth Center on my due date. In addition, my husband and I took the classes at the Birth Center including the breastfeeding, "first days at home" and labor classes.

06/19/2014

Margaret N.

I delivered my first baby at The Birth Center two years ago, and am now in prenatal care for my second. The midwives are friendly, knowledgeable, and compassionate. They have the shortest wait times for any medical practice I've been to - I'm usually seen within five minutes of my appointment time. I felt incredibly supported by Julie (CNM) and Janeyne (RN) during childbirth. They took the time to understand my needs and expectations, and I felt like I was completely in control of my experience.

Description of Work
Prenatal care and birth.

06/04/2014

Susan R.

They are friendly, they are good listeners, they seem very compassionate and they are always prompt to answer any questions that you have.

Description of Work
I used Women's Services - Obstetrics & Gynecology

06/03/2014

Nathan K.

We had 3 babies at the Birth Center. The Birth Center was ideal place for my wife and I. We wanted to have our children as naturally as possible in a comfortable settings. The Birth Center also has close proximity to Bryn Mawr Hospital in case of emergency. We had great experiences at the Birth Center and would recommend it to anyone looking to give birth naturally with skilled midwives. 3 healthy children later and we knew we made the right decision.

Description of Work
Prenatal visits and the birth of our children.

06/03/2014

Caroline Z.

I had a great check-up experience. I was able to schedule the appointment with one of the midwifes who assisted in the birth of my child, Carol, which I appreciated because I wanted to express to her how helpful during the birth I thought she was. During the check up appointment, she was professional and friendly. Even though TBC usually has a lot of appointments, I've never felt rushed during my appointment, which is great. They always take the time to listen and answer thoughtfully any questions I've had. Carol also spent some time talking with me about different birth control options, and we found something that I would not have to take every day and that once I stopped taking, my fertility would immediately return, which were both things I wanted. I would definitely recommend TBC for women's health check ups. I'm a fan.

Description of Work
Post-birth check-up appointment.

05/20/2014

Chris N.

I'm currently pregnant and will update this review after delivery. But I have to say that I love the care I'm getting at The Birth Center so far. It's everything you could get at your gynecologist's office - and typically for the same price, depending on your insurance. The certified nurse midwives are knowledgeable, caring, and supportive, and available to answer questions 24/7. I've had ultrasounds and other appointments at U Penn but found them to be so much more impersonal, rushed, and hard to book. Would recommend The Birth Center to any woman looking for well-woman care, prenatal care, childbirth classes, breastfeeding classes, and a ealthy, happy, natural out-of-hospital birthing experience.

Description of Work
Midwifery and women's health care

03/26/2013

Julia H.

When I showed up I filled out paperwork and was asked to weighed myself for the midwife. I was called shortly after arrival and sat with the midwife who went over my history with me and answered all of my questions in a very friendly and caring manner, she was extremely patient and took time to cover everything and even gave me some paperwork to look over. I was told that I needed to have a procedure done that they did not do there and was referred to another provided. The Birth Center promptly sent me a letter to give to the other provider and I was able to have everything completed no problem. Once I was finished at The Birth Center I just checked out with the receptionist and was on my way.

Description of Work
I had been looking for a new OB to get my annual done and had heard from a friend that The Birth Center was a great place to go with a very friendly staff and they didn't disappoint. I was able to schedule an appointment only about 2 weeks out and they were helpful in giving me directions on how to have my records transferred.

Maureen K.

The Birth Center was wonderful. Trina, my favorite midwife, caught my baby at DelCo Hospital due to safety concerns. Trina was wonderful at being honest and point-blank about my pregnancy and birth, which was exactly what I needed to feel safe and informed. I can't recommend TBC enough!!

Description of Work
Birth of my 2nd baby

Catherine V.

Very happy with our experience at TBC. Will definitely use them again in the future and recommend them highly!

Description of Work
Love The Birth Center! We used them for the birth of our son in 2010 and were very happy with the overall experience. You meet all of the midwives throughout your pregnancy since you never know who will be on call when the big day comes, which is nice to have some familiarity with your provider when things go into full gear. We had to transfer to Bryn Mawr Hospital, and our midwife kept us very well-informed and was very supportive of our concerns the entire time. They really listen and truly love what they do, which makes the entire experience a positive one. They also work very well with traditional doctors and while they may have different philosophies on treating women, they don't bash doctors or talk trash about other approaches, which I really appreciate. If you ask their opinions, they give very educated, well-informed responses. I would highly recommend them for any OB or GYN services.

Fritz W.

My wife and I have been seeing the midwives at The Birth Center for approx. 8 months now. We are now at 37 and a half weeks and have had appointments with a half dozen of the midwives in the practices. Everyone has been extraordinarily friendly and kind. Very welcoming and open to all questions. We've been thrilled with our experience so far and would highly recommend The Birth Center to other expectant parents.

Description of Work
My wife and I are expecting our first child in three weeks.

04/02/2012

Erin K.

.They are very good. They take the time to answer all your questions and give you alot of information. It is just a very calming nice place to go for care.

Description of Work
.I went to The Birth Center for my female medical care.

11/16/2011

Kris H.

The staff has been phenomenal and there is very minimal wait time for the appointments. We are very pleased.

Description of Work
My wife just found out she was pregnant and switched to this practice for all her care.

11/03/2011

Nancy H.

Excellent care, from the receptionist greeting everyone with a smile and seeming to know everyone to me being able to weigh myself to NOT having a medical assistant asking all sorts of questions first to having my family history and my medical history updated by my provider. My questions were answered and I left feeling taken care of.

Description of Work
This is the best place to get gyn care!! Where else do you get to talk w/ your provider for 30 minutes?? No 5 or 7 minute appointment here! The midwives are good listeners, they facilitate tests if needed, can prescribe medications, keep up to date on studies, and can help someone figure out what to do next. They are not patronizing. I'm so glad they provide good gyn care, as well as their excellent OB care.

07/06/2011

Aimee B.

The midwives there are very professional and good at what they do. I was very happy with my overall expeirence with The Birth Center.

Description of Work
They were with from start to end of my pregnancy and child birth.

12/22/2010

Daniel D.

It is really good that they are not crowded. When I had the baby I was the only patient having a baby on the premises. It was just me, the midwife, and the nurse. I was the only patient that they had to worry about. I got their undivided attention. They strike a very good balance between doing things that are medically necessary, but not doing extra interventions that are not necessary. I had a really positive experience with them.

Description of Work
I went to The Birth Center when I was pregnant and for OB/GYN purposes.

10/29/2010

Rebecca H.

Watch out for the birth center. There will be many stories are about how great they were. But TBC overcrowded, makes mistakes and will drop you in a second if anything looks risky. Their promise that they follow you to the hosital is not true. Many people are scared to report this because of the lack of natural birth options. At 36 weeks with a low AFI I was told "I am no longer a patient of the birth center" by Peggy and then told to go walk into the maternity ward at the hospital without a name of a doctor. They didnt show at the hospital (was told they were too busy), or for a home visit or the follow up until a phone call 5 days later. Their billing system has mistakes. They are now sending me a bill over 2.5 years later. They are completely disorganized. It is sad there are not more natural and midwife settings for birth, but consider liberal doctors or home birth before you go here. They are too disorganized to carry through on their promise that you are always a patient.

Description of Work
prenatal care

10/27/2010

JONATHAN G.

They are amazing. You will not get honesty, care, or medical attention any where else in regards to maternity care. They are patient center. They offer the privacy and intimacy to have the type of birth that you want, but also provide you with the medical skills that allow you to feel safe and well cared for. It is a wonderful place and a great environment to have a child. My wife had a wonderful birth experience there.

Description of Work
We have had two babies delivered at The Birth Center.

06/07/2010

Michael R.

I can't say enough positive things about my experience at the Birth Center. The nurses and midwives provide a level of care so far above what I've received from doctors in the past that I can't even compare the experiences. I'm so spoiled now- At the Birth Center I never had to wait for my appointment to start and always knew I'd get a full half hour to talk through any questions I had. They really let me be a partner in my own care. During delivery the nurse and midwife followed my Birth Plan so the experience was just how I wanted it to be. After my baby was born the nurses called a few times a week to check in on both me and the baby, and a nurse made a home visit to check on us. The office is really friendly and bright and feels like a home. The Birth Center took all of the anxiety out of pregnancy and delivery. I look forward to having my next baby there. With insurance coverage, I think I paid a $250 copay for all of my prenatal care, delivery, and postnatal care, and they have 'birthships' available for those who cannot afford their services.

Description of Work
Prenatal care and education, delivery of my baby, postnatal follow-up care

04/30/2010

Janet S.

Everything went wonderfully with all three births. The first two I used the jacuzzi tubs. The last one, I chose to walk around the living area and eat. All three were natural and the midwives were a big help in making it without drugs. My husband liked the fact that the Bryn Mawr Hospital is a quarter block down the road, just in case of an emergency. I would highly recommend the Birth Center if you are looking for a natural birthing environment that makes a woman feel like birthing is a natural experience which only seldom needs medical interventions.

Description of Work
I had my first child at the Birth Center in 1998, my second in 2000, and our newest little blessing in April 2009. The Birth Center is wonderful. They treat women with respect acknowledging the fact that we have brains. When pregnant and going into the doctors office every month, other doctors make you collect urine in a cup for them to then check for protein and sugar. At the birth center, we get to easily put in the test strip in the cup in the bathroom, check it on a color chart (this is real easy) and write it down on our own charts. No embarrassing passing of a urine cup. The same thing goes for weight gain. The scale is in the bathroom and you get to weigh yourself and write it on your own chart. You are not treated as a child hear. Every appointment I ever had was on time (give or take 5 minutes). They have other midwives assigned to cover births during appointments, so nobody gets called away from appointments for emergencies. They answered all my questions.

07/24/2009

David J.

They do a fantastic job. They empower women to have the birth they want and support them to do it without medication. I’ve never had to wait for appointments.

Description of Work
I had my second and third children at The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr. It is a free standing birth center and is not in a hospital.

06/15/2009

Christy M.

I can't say enough good about the midwives and nurses at The Birth Center. To report on them individually wouldn't make sense to me because they work as a team. In fact, during prenatal visits they make sure you see all of the midwives so that when it's time to have the baby you know everyone. But during a routine exam, they take their time, talk and listen to you, tell you about everything they are doing and why. They are thorough and knowledgeable, and have information on different options from birth control, to vitamin supplements, to treatments for problems. She talked to me about the changes in my body and what to expect, and what I might or might not choose to do about them. Although GYN exams can be uncomfortable, they are careful and considerate.

Description of Work
my most recent visit was my annual GYN exam. In the past I've been there for annual exams, pre and post natal exams, and had both of my children at the hospital with the assistance of the midwives from The Birth Center.

06/13/2009

Daniel D.

Baby was born 20 minutes after arrival at the Center! Because of the rapid delivery and gestational diabetes, there was a possibility of having to transfer to the hospital, but thankfully everything worked out fine.

Description of Work
Delivery of baby

05/15/2009

CATHERINE K.

It was wonderful. From the family friendly waiting room (which we didn't spend all that much time in because the appointments were pretty much always on time!) to the well equipped birthing room everything is set up both practically and comfortably. The midwives were wonderfully supportive and always had lots of information and time to discuss it.

Description of Work
I went to The Birth Center for my prenatal care and birth of my second son. They did all the typical prenatal tests right in the office - except for U/S for which I had my choice of a variety of centers/hospitals to go to.

05/14/2009

BARBARA M.

I had my two children there and it was a wonderful experience. They are great for OB and GYN care. I like that they have personalized care and it is not rushed. Also, I did not want a medicated birth, and I was able to have the kind of birth I wanted. They focus on other care also and I am very pleased with them.

Description of Work
I get my GYN care at The Birth Center. I see whatever midwife is available.

04/22/2009

Christopher W.

I liked their holistic approach, the personal attention they give and their interest in child birthing.

Description of Work
I use them for annual physical check ups and the last time I went there for delivering my son.

Category family doctor

Women's Services - Obstetrics & Gynecology
    Women's services - Midwives
    Primary Care - Family Medicine
    Women's Services - Doulas
    Women's services - Birth Control & Family Planning
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Financing Available, Discover

Maternity care including natural birthing, midwifery, gynecologic, pelvic exams, cervical cancer screenings & contraception.