Oak Street Auto Care

Founded 1981 • With Angi since July 2006

AUTO REPAIR & SERVICE.

Lori C.
04/07/2016
Description of Work
Not sure if they are on Angie's list, but I've used this business for over 30 years and have always had good experiences with them.
Kevin R.
06/16/2014
They replaced the manifold put new holds and new gasket in. Was brought in on Tuesday night and done by Thursday. They were nice people and did good work. They have many repeat customers needing new works done.said if there was any problems bring it back. Best price I found so far, for the work done, fast and they know their return customers by name.
Description of Work
My 1998, Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 6 cyl 4.1 liter engine with 146000 miles needed a new exhaust manifold due to a crack in the pipe that comes right from the engine block and leads into the collector. Work was completed.
Ms C.
04/22/2014
Description of Work
Very professional, clearly concerned for my families safety and provided excellent car repair at a fair price. I have recommended them to family and friends and am taking my daughters car in next week for a/c, brakes and service.
Edward G.
03/21/2014
One of the joys of life is finding a reliable, honest, competent mechanic. During 50 years of driving, I have been fortunate for a few years at a time, but otherwise, it seems like an endless search. This is one of the good times! Full disclosure: Bob is a nearby neighbor of mine - nice guy, great neighbor. I started taking my '99 Camry and '96 Explorer to him about 5 years ago based on another friend's recommendation. I know enough about cars and troubleshooting to know BS when I see it, and there's none of that. I provide this background to indicate that if Bob were a great neighbor and a mediocre mechanic, he'd still be my neighbor, but he wouldn't be my mechanic! He's done everything for 5 years or so, including a head gasket and (unfortunately) cracked head on the Explorer. He's pulled the dash to replace lightbulbs, door panels to replace speaker amps -- the list goes on. We usually talk directly to Bob - otherwise his son or Darrell, another long-time mechanic. You actually talk to the mechanic, and you SEE your car up on the rack. (I detest talking to service managers, whose primary job seems to be preventing you (the customer) from ever talking to (or even seeing) a real, live mechanic. None of that here!) In the latest repair, oil drops on the garage floor indicated a leaking right-front strut (at 115,000 miles). Bob confirmed this and recommended replacing all four. For safety, it is mandatory that they at least be replaced in matched pairs, but with these miles, they all were ready to go. The total came to $1,000, which was a pretty big hit, but the struts themselves were most of the cost. (Bob always provides options for factory original, rebuilt parts, etc., and will make suggestions either way depending on the type of part and the cost differential. The cost is never due to over-inflated markups.) Complete estimates are always provided in advance, and they are always spot on. No surprises. As stated earlier, the work is always done within a day or two, even though the shop is always busy. (Quite frankly, I don't know how he accomplishes this; I think they just stay until the work is done.) On the rare occasions there has been a (minor) problem, they take care of it immediately, no muss no fuss. (I can't comment on major problems; they never happen... ) Even though Bob is a neighbor, I'm providing this review for the benefit of my fellow Angie's List members who might be looking for a competent, reliable, fair, and honest auto mechanic. (And who isn't?).
Description of Work
Troubleshoot and replace 4-wheel struts in 1999 Toyota Camry (115,000 miles).
WAYNE T.
06/23/2012
You can call Bob and he usually gets us in within a day. He usually gets our car back to us the day he takes them. He works on all the cars we have, low and high end. If we were to send our high end car to the dealership for repair it would probably cost 3 times what Bob charges. We used to take our vehicles to the dealership until we realized Bob can do it for a lot less, with the same quality. We trust him, he's going to tell us the straight story. We haven't had a situation where we have gotten a car back and it doesn't run well and if it doesn't we take it right back and he fixes it at no charge. We have been going to him for a number of years. He's honest and reasonable. I send my daughters down there with their cars and he treats them as well as he treats my husband and I. You don't have to worry that he won't look at the car well because they are a couple of kids, he will take a look and tell them what's gong on.
Description of Work
We take out car to Oak Street Auto Care.
David R.
04/21/2011
I had a high-performance clutch I had already bought that I wanted to have installed. Oak Street was the only shop I found that would install it. Their quote was right on, the completion date was right on, and they even gave me a ride home after I dropped the car off. A no-frills, no-nonsense shop that I'll go back to.
Description of Work
Clutch kit replacement (disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, main seal).
ANNETTE N.
07/25/2006
Bob and crew did a wonderful job replacing my broken timing belt as well as doing proactive maintenance on several other worn out parts. His estimate was fully 60% less than the Ford dealership's for the timing belt alone, and even with the rest of the work his bill was far less than what I was quoted for just the broken parts. I and my friends have had work done by Oak Street many times now, and they are very reasonable and trustworthy - you do not feel like you're being ripped off of taken advantage of for being a woman. The only thing I can possibly say negatively is that it took them over a week to do the work: they are not hurting for business.
Description of Work
Replace serpentine belt and tensioner, Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace sparkplugs, Change oil

Phone