Prairie Road Automotive

Founded 2001 • With Angi since July 2007

89925 Prairie Rd

Eugene, OR 97402

Bill & Lori Filley are the owners of Prairie Road Automotive. Bill has been in the automotive industry over 40 years. We are an environmentally friendly as well as people-friendly automotive repair facility. Moreover, we understand that sometimes car repair can be stressful and we do everything possible to make our customers feel welcome, comfortable and satisfied with their service experience. We would be happy to have you come in and see us. We believe you will be pleased with the service you receive and in the quality of our work....

02/18/2015

Jerry R.

The check engine light is still on and I still need to take the car back to them. They were fine on professionalism and responsiveness.

Description of Work
They did a brake job on the rear brakes and replaced some seals. They also did some work on the EGR system. I had them work on a 1999 Ford F-150. They had the truck for 3 days.

12/24/2014

george H.

needed alignment, told need new ball joints. called P. R. made appt.. work done as requested. on time & less than quote. very friendly clean shop.

Description of Work
replaced ball joints

11/11/2014

Dave C.

Provider did not oversell me on anything, and in fact offered options on saving money. An example is if I waited for a break fluid flush until I needed to change break pads in 6 months or so, I would get flush at 50% off... Provider did a full and through check out of the rig, and listed actual values for things like pad thickness, and what they should be in order to replace... All in all I feel very confident that this company will not rip me off in the future... I will never again do an oil change at one of the cheap places... The cheap place put in the wrong coolant. The provider here, discovered this, flushed and removed the old coolant.

Description of Work
100,000 Mile checkup on 2004 Tahoe

Category auto repair

Thank you very much for with wonderful review. My wife told be you seemed to be a very nice person when she gave you a ride home after dropping off you car.

09/27/2014

emily M.

After explaining everything to me, the owner's son, Lucas, answered all my questions and gave me his full attention to hear my concerns and addressed each one. Lucas and his father Bill had a little fridge with bottled water they didn't charge for ,neither did they charge for spending the better part of an hour helping me and writing up an estimate of the nature of the problem and it's approximate cost to repair.. Then they sent me home with a read-out of everything plus a packet of microwave popcorn with their logo on it. Both the owner, Bill, and his son Lucas were genuinely friendly and I felt like I had met a new neighbor to turn to as a senior woman with no husband or sons to help me with car trouble. It was one of the few times I've left feeling good about taking a car in to a mechanic's shop with no worries or suspicions of having been pressured or talked down to.

Description of Work
When I called to ask if they would look under the hood of a car I just bought that is leaking already they cheerfully made room in their busy afternoon and enthusiastically examined the car's engine for me.

06/10/2014

Bert P.

Great. Checked with me before changing air filter, told me everything they did, made appointment for next check-up. After my last free inspection at the dealership, the dealership shop gave me a whole list of things that they claimed needed doing and said it would cost over $600.00. I'm glad I went to Prairie instead!

Description of Work
Changed oil, filters, checked fluids and brakes

02/21/2014

Pamela H.

It went well. I used Prairie Road Automotive for the first time in January, 2013. At that time they did major work on my car (I posted a review at that time) and I was very pleased. I decided that I would use them as my primary mechanic.

Description of Work
Oil change, general inspection.

02/10/2014

JOSEPH C.

Told me all done. Kept smelling oil. Went back. Said I need a dye added to oil so they could find out if other leaks. Wanted $149 for that. Left and went to another repair shop. They did the dye test for $49 and they had to fix three additional leaks for $555. Asked why Prarie Road didn't ddo the dye test first. Will not go back to Prarie Road and wonder how it ever got a 5 rating from you folks.

Description of Work
Fixed one oil leak.

Category auto repair

We did not communicate very well. He was told he had a leaking valve cover gasket when he brought it to us the first visit on November 4th. We verified the cover was leaking and replaced it. On January 28th the vehicle came in for our winter special for inspection and oil change. He mentioned there was still an oil smell once and while could we please inspect it. We inspected the valve cover we replace and found it dry but all over under the engine it was extremely oil soaked. We recommended cleaning engine and using floro dye to pin point the leak or leaks. It was declined at that time. I just talked with the customer and found where we had failed him. 1. When vehicle was in the first time we did not tell him there could be other leaks. As bad as the valve cover was leaking we could not tell if there were other leaks. We should have asked him to bring back and a couple of weeks for inspection. 2. On the second visit we did not mention that we were going to send it out for steam cleaning and that why the engine dye test was so expensive. We wanted to be very through and not have him have to come back a third time. I am very sorry our customers experience was not a positive one.

12/27/2013

Alisha M.

The service was good and they were very nice. I felt like they did a good job. The prices were a little high compared to other prices when I called around, but I felt like they were very thorough and they explained things to me well. I thought they were honest. There were some things I asked about regarding things they thought needed to be repaired or not. On several things they told me no so I had a good experience overall.

Description of Work
I used Prairie Road Automotive for an overall inspection on a used car I bought. They also replaced the front brake pads and rotors and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes.

12/26/2013

Robert V.

I discovered the battery was dead as I was preparing to leave for work one morning. I assumed the battery was old and simply needed replacing, so I purchased a new one at a major auto service store. Two weeks later, the new battery was also dead. I returned the vehicle to the same auto service store to have the problem diagnosed. They told me the brushes in the alternator were bad and provided me with an estimate for a remanufactured alternator for $354. I decided to take my vehicle to Prairie Road Automotive for a second look. (I had work done by them a year ago after finding them on Angie's List, and I was left with a very positive impression.) After testing the alternator and finding that it was working properly, they proceeded to test the electrical system after one tech noticed that the radio/clock remained on after the key was removed from the ignition. It was determined that the radio had shorted out and was causing a .30 amp draw on the system. I was notified by phone regarding the radio, and after discussing possible options to resolve the problem, I opted to have the radio removed and replace it. I was very pleased with the outcome and the total cost, considering the estimate & diagnosis I was given at the other auto service store. I was treated well and given detailed explanations about the problem with my car, and a courtesy inspection was included to address a few other items with my car that may need attention in the future. All this was done with a professional attitude, no pressure, and I was even taken to and from the shop by the free shuttle service provided. After paying $46 for labor/diagnostics, I walked out to my car with a smile on my face and a complimentary bag of microwavable popcorn. I will return to Prairie Road Automotive in the future as needed for service and repair.

Description of Work
Technicians (s) at Prairie Road Auto tested the alternator and electrical systems on my 1999 Ford Explorer to determine the cause of a dead battery (twice jump started).

12/13/2013

george H.

kept appt. time they were friendly,knowledgeable, timely, & HONEST.

Description of Work
replaced turn signal switch,complete oil change & inspection.

10/30/2013

Jordan G.

Prairie Road Automotive is excellent, a very professional shop at a very good value. They provided my wife a ride back home with our 4 year old and his car seat so I did not have to take valuable time off of work. They called to confirm the appointment we had, stayed in excellent communication during the process, came in UNDER their estimate for the services, and returned the vehicle to us on time as promised. SO much better than the single owner grease monkey that we had been using to try and save a dollar. We used to just figure that we were going to be without the vehicle for the entire day while we waited around for the previous mechanic to have time to work on the vehicle, answer the phone, talk to his buddies, do the books, and so on. Not so with Prairie Road. They have ASE mechanics doing the work, service advisers to communicate the issues to the customer, and the owners work on the business to make sure everything runs smooth. Prairie Road is a professional outfit that knows the value of a long term customer is more important than making the most money they can off of a one time repair. This is evident in their fair pricing, high level of customer service, and those gosh darn good bags of popcorn they provide with each service. Clint and Lucas are very pleasant on the phone and surprisingly good at keeping the client in the loop and not talking over their client's head. They have my business going forward, that's for sure.

Description of Work
Prairie Road Automotive replaced the front rotors on my wife's 2004 Toyota 4Runner, replaced the front brake pads, cleaned and lubricated slides and calipers, bled the calipers, filled the master cylinder to the correct level, performed oil change and filter replacement, greased all joints that have fittings, checked tire pressure, and road tested the vehicle.

09/19/2013

Joyce B.

The work was done, but they tried to talk me out of a car that had nothing wrong with it. I got the feeling they wanted me to do a lot of work on a car that didn't need much of anything done to it.

Description of Work
Did a pre buy inspection

09/12/2013

Paul E C.

They worked us in with no delay on short notice. Inspection found $2000 of work needed on a $3500 car . . . Priceless! Cost a little above the going rate but definitely worth it!

Description of Work
Inspection on a prospective used vehicle purchase

07/23/2013

Aimee P.

I'm happy with their service. They do a great job!

Description of Work
My most recent service was an oil change.

05/06/2013

Arthur N.

I asked for a complete check of a car that I was taking to my daughter in college in Southern Ca. l pointed out some things I knew were bad and asked them to give me an estimate. i took the car in at 8:00 am on a Monday and told them i did not need the car back until Friday my daughter was leaving on Saturday for college. I asked them specifically to check the air conditioning, the sunroof which did not work and for any leaks plus give the car a full check. I called a couple of times during the week and Clint did call me with an estimate for some work Each time i asked about the items listed and was told everything would be checked. The car was not ready at 5:00 pm on Friday. The air was not working, I guess by check they mean turn it on and see if the fan blows. The sunroof I was told they did not have time to check and the car still leaked from the power steering and the steering rack. They did tell me the power steering leak was from a bad part that they did try to get but could not get in time so they went to a junk yard to get one which was bad. Basically they had the car a week and did nothing until the last minute. They also did a brake job but I had a wheel cylinder leak that had to be repaired in Ca. I really feel the charge for checking the car out s a compete rip off as they checked nothing I asked them too. I had to spend anther $1300.00 on the car the first week in Ca. to do what i asked them to do in the first place. I would not in good conscience recommend this shop to anyone in the future.

04/11/2013

Eric S.

We had our car towed over to them and they helped us with our car repairs. Clint was kind enough to give us a towing company. He was really nice and gave us a referral to the towing company across the street which had very good rates.

Description of Work
They fixed the ignition switch and did a whole diagnostic on the vehicle.

04/11/2013

Jordan G.

I have used Prairie Road Automotive numerous times on numerous vehicles. We have a small fleet to maintain and their service is well above and beyond what you would normally expect from a mechanic. The phone is answered promptly, they diagnose the vehicle quickly so that your car isn't waiting for half a day just to get checked out, they are very honest with their appraisal of the issue, and they get it repaired on time or early. Hate to say this, but many times the quote for repairs can come out a little less than what they thought. This is in stark contrast to other shops where the price always turns out to be more. I trust Bill Filley and Lucas and their technicians. I feel like I am dealing with a reputable company that cares about their standing in the community and communicates well in their relationships. The other thing that floors me is that they can be honest and own a mistake if they make one.

Description of Work
We have had transmission coolant lines replace on a diesel, oil changes on a number of vehicles, power steering leak repaired, electrical work done such as the fuel gauge sending unit on our dual tank diesel, and a bunch of other repair work done on our 10 vehicles.

Category muffler repair, auto repair, car tires, transmission repair, radiator service, car inspections

02/26/2013

Wendy H.

We called and they got us in right away for an inspection to see what needed to be fixed on our new "old" vehicle. They gave us a full list of what needed to be done now and what could wait with prices. We talked with Lucas and the owners Bill and Lori. They were extremely helpful and professional. They gave us rides to and from the appointments with no hassle. When we agreed to use them to service our vehicle they got all the work done in 3 days! Super fast for everything they did. There was a small problem with our alignment when we got home. When we let them know they immediately fixed it with no charge. Just as a note they outsource the alignments. Would definitely use again and feel like all our questions and concerns will be answered honestly and promptly regarding our automotive needs. GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

Description of Work
Full inspection service, timing belt, radiator hoses, tune up, oil change, tie rod and so much more!

01/17/2013

Pamela M.

They were so helpful. So patient with my limited automobile knowlege, explaining everything in detal. Like I said, I can't say enought goo things about everyone in the shop.

Description of Work
They inspected my vehicle and gave me a very detailed list of what should be done and in what order so that it fit with my budget. They are wonderful. So helpful with me. I can't say enough good things about them.

12/03/2012

Aimee P.

So far, Prairie Road Automotive has performed two oil changes and repaired the rear brakes on my vehicle. I feel that I can trust Prairie Road Automotive to make sure my vehicle is safe.

Description of Work
I switched to Prairie Road Automotive for maintenance and repairs after taking my vehicle to another automotive repair shop for over ten years. I think Prairie Road Automotive is honest and knowledgeable and only suggests necessary repairs. They also give estimates and stick to them. The owner, his wife, and the entire staff are wonderful to deal with. I am grateful I found Prairie Road Automotive.

09/13/2012

cecilia C.

I dropped my car off Monday and it was diagnosed, fixed and ready to go home by noon the next day!

Description of Work
My car started making a squeeking noice so I took it in to get looked at. It was a Cam sensor bearing that had gone out and it was accurately diagnosed and repaired quickly. They had great customer service too.

07/16/2012

April F.

I have nothing but good things to say about the auto service preformed Prairie Road Automotive. I recently visited their shop when my check engine light came on. After getting a diagnosis and a very high repair quote from the dealership, I decided to look elsewhere for the repairs to my 2002 Sports Wagon. I started my automotive repair search on Angie's List and not only did Prairie Road Automotive have very good reviews, but they were 2 miles from my house. The diagnosis of my car was unfortunately not good. The repairs started primarily with the cylinder head gaskets and from there the list goes on: spark plug wires, knock sensor, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, clutch, etc.. All of this was repaired for $2500. My husband thinks I should have traded the car in before the repairs, but now that the work is done and my car is driving great, I think he agrees that it was worth it. During the repair process, I was contacted several times with updates from the Prairie Road staff (at least twice per day) and they were very friendly and explained each repair so that I could make an informed decision to proceed or not proceed. Since these repairs, I have been back twice (briefly stopped in with no appointment) because my A/C belt was making a noise. Someone immediately came out, tightened my belt and I was on my way in less than 10 minutes at no charge. I will definitely be returning to Prairie Road Automotive for oil changes and future repairs. Thanks guys.

Description of Work
Repair and replacement of the cylinder head gaskets, spark plug wires, knock sensor, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, clutch, etc..

04/30/2012

Paula E.

.They did a very good job and took their time. They were very friendly and easy to work with. I thought the price was very reasonable with the amount of work they put in.

Description of Work
.I use Prairie Road Automotive for service on my vehicle.

04/28/2012

george H.

They are very friendly and professional. Telling it straight and doing things right.

Description of Work
They repaired brakes and electric window on my car.

04/19/2012

dan D.

They kept me informed at all times. good communications from them. I have had them work on several of my vehicles and always get professional work. they knowledgeable and trust worthy.

Description of Work
car was having a hard time starting in the morning. The technician found the cam position censer was bad. They also found the crank censer was going to go bad soon.

Auto Service
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Transmission
    Auto Radiators
    Auto Tires
    Auto Mufflers
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check

Lube & Oil, Smog, Tune Up, Brakes, Engine Repair & Replacement, Exhaust Systems, Suspension, Transmissions, Wheel Alignment, Electrical Diagnostics Specialists, Air Conditioning, Radiator, & Cooling & Heating System Repair.