Aatco Transmission & Transaxle

Founded 1989 • With Angi since December 2005

Tim's AATCO Transmission & Transaxle is a transmission repair shop in Beaverton, Oregon. Tim from AATCO would like to thank you for checking out our company. We've been serving the area for over 20 years and most of our client base is made of referrals and return customers. Our mechanics specialize in automatic and manual transmissions and transfer cases. We also repair or replace clutches, u-joints and drive axles. Our shop is spread out over about 8,500 sq. ft. with over 100 re-built transmissions in stock! We can also take care of your transfer case and differential maintenance. We service all makes and models of cars, trucks, RV's and 4x4s. We specialize in: Inspections and analysis, Calibrations, Drivability evaluations, Rebuilding, Reconditioning, Scheduled maintenance, Towing We are committed to providing you with excellent services, and we take our clients' opinion to heart when we perform our repairs. In fact, our customers have given great feedback to us, which has helped us develop our auto repair services over the years. We are members of the Better Business Bureau and the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Our technicians are ASE certified. Ask about our nationwide warranties. Call AATCO Transmission & Transaxle today for a phone quote or to discuss your auto repair needs!...

05/23/2017

Michael P.

My car problem wasn't with my transmission, they were good enough to test it out for free. They then gave me a good referral, within same complex, where I had things resolved.

Description of Work
Transmission testing

Work Completed On 05/23/2017

01/09/2017

Shereena J.

Both services went great. Good prices and Tim is very reliable and kind. He was more than willing to address any concerns I had, thoroughly explain the process, and give me honest information. My car is running great now.

Description of Work
I've had them put in a new clutch a few years ago, and do a transmission rebuild this year on my mustang.

Category auto repair, transmission repair, car inspections

Work Completed On 09/02/2016

07/16/2015

Robert C.

IT didn't go well. After the transmission service, the vehicle leaked transmission fluid very badly. I took the vehicle back in and was told that I needed more work as some of the seals were bad. They performed the work and checked out vehicle after. I took the car home and noticed that it was leaking even worse that it did before. Called them again and they asked me to bring in the vehicle. I did so and found that one of the new seals was bad (not sure which one). So, they fixed this (I think as they fixed this yesterday). So, I now have a huge transmission fluid "spot" on the street in front of my house, they have worked on the vehicle 3 times now - I just hope that their last "fix" really worked! Two other items: 1. I noticed that, for the last 2 times I used them, my vehicle's were not "eligible" for their discount service and I had to pay full price. 2. The vehicle they service prior to this, I wanted to service the other items that used fluid (not the engine). I was told this was a very difficult and time consuming service. They quoted about $500 for this service. I went home, got on YouTube and watched what it took to change out the fluid in these units. Turns out it was NOT difficult. Went elsewhere and they did the needed service for half what AATCO quoted. I won't be going to back to them in the future! I am working on cleaning up the 4'x6' spot in the front of my house - but I expect the spot is there to stay! Oh, when I mentioned the spot that was their fault, they said "Just clean it yourself". Great customer service and taking responsibility for the quality of their work!

Description of Work
Took in my 1965 Mustang for an automatic transmission service.

Work Completed On 07/15/2015

07/02/2015

Sioux K.

I called for a transmission "flush" quote - the recommendation from my "regular mechanic". However, the owner, Tim, told me that it was inadvisable for a full flush on a 2002 car. He recommended alternate service that was less expensive, but more effective and safe for my car. I appreciate his honesty and recommendation.

Description of Work
Transmission service on my 2002 Camry.

Work Completed On 06/17/2015

01/19/2015

Robert B.

We only had one day in which to get the work done. Tim had to buy the new mounts from his wholesaler. He was very accommodating and squeezed our job into his workload. After the work was done, he showed us the cracked mounts that he had removed. There were visible fissures on each mount; plus, the cracks were rusty. During the time the car was being worked on, Tim kept us appraised by cell phone of his progress. He possesses excellent communication skills.

Description of Work
The car is a 1997 Toyota Avalon. The transmission made a clunking sound every morning when cold. Tim, the owner, determined the front and rear engine mounts were cracked. Also, the transmission fluid needed to be drained.

Work Completed On 01/16/2015

05/29/2014

Daniel C.

The ford dealership had stated that they could not pinpoint my transmission or vibration problem without specialized vibration analysis equipement. Tim test drove my truck and stated, that he could diagnose for free. After dropping the truck off, Tim called back in about 4 hours, stating he found loose bolts to the transfer case (that the dealership did not find). After replacing gaskets and doing routine transmission sevice (without having the rebuild the whole thing), I have my F150 back and vibration free! Very responsive, and customer centered, did not charge extra for some details he also took care of.

Description of Work
Solved a virbration problem in my F150 4X4, that 2 other shops could not (one was a dealership).

Category

Work Completed On 05/29/2014

01/14/2014

Dean E.

I fell for all the "good" reviews on Tim's company. What a big mistake that was! On 11/30/2011 I pay Tim Schroeder the owner of the company a sum of $2,400 for overhauling my transmission on my 1999 Honda Accord. Just over two years later and less than 18,000 miles I hear a loud clunking noise when the car is in park or neutral. I'm thinking oh no this can't be the transmission! I contact Tim's shop on 1/10/2014 and his crew examine the transmission and conclude the torque converter is going out. Tim says sorry you're past the 12 month warranty it's going to cost you a $1000 for me to fix this. I thinking "WOW" I have to pay this guy another $1000 to make this transmission work right! I know that a transmission overhauled should last at least a 100,000 miles but not from Tim's shop. I only get 18K miles a mere fraction of what I should get. Tim says he buys the torque converter from a third party and blames it on the part going out. I said Okay that maybe true but Tim you chose the company who made the part! You bought the part. I didn't! I, the customer, didn't pay my $2,400 to that 3rd party vendor I paid it to you! After my second conversation with him a couple days later 1/12/2014 I told him that I didn't want to pay what he wanted ($800 he came down after 1st conversation). He said no way! I am not going down any more. He said wow I can't believe your not happy that I'm willing to do the job at about cost for you. I said if you pro-rated 18K with on the average 100K miles the cost would be more toward the $400 range. HE HUNG UP ON ME. Let it be known that I never threatened him, nor used obscenities, nor even raised my voice. I really felt I should NOT be paying him a dime for him to repair it, but I knew I was beyond the skimpy warranty he gave me. So I was willing to pay that pro-rated amount, take the loss and just to get it done with. I will never do business with Tim ever again nor recommend his service. Unfortunately, I'll end up putting much more $ into this transmission, but I do know one thing, Tim will not get a dime of my money for his shoddy service and what I believe is a lack of integrity. Finally, don't fall for a short 12 month, 12K miles warranty like the one Tim offered me. I found there are companies out there that offer 2 years or 50K miles. A much better warranty! Now I think I know why Tim only offered me a 12 month, 12k warranty. IMO he really doesn't want to be responsible for his workmanship after a measly 12K miles without you reaching into your wallet.

Description of Work
Overhauled my transmission.

Work Completed On 11/30/2011

06/22/2013

Mike B.

They checked out my vehicle, and then said they wanted to service the transmission before rebuilding it to see if that would fix my problem. That worked and saved me a lot of money.

Description of Work
Transmission service.

Work Completed On 06/10/2013

06/05/2013

Blaine H.

AATCO Transmission have always been like that. I've gone in there once or twice with things I thought were big deal and it turns out it was something stupid that they either didn't charge me for or charged me very minimal. They're very good, honest guys and quite reliable. They're fairly priced.

Description of Work
AATCO Transmission fixed my transmission that would not go into park and it needed an adjustment on the bolt and they did it for free.

Work Completed On 05/08/2013

05/06/2013

Monty M.

I needed a new transmission. Firstly they checked the electronic codes to verify that a replacement was really needed. I appreciated that because they could have just gone ahead and I would never have challenged them. It did need a new transmission. Tim took at least 10 minutes to explain that they would use a rebuilt (rebuilt in house), what the cost would be, his warranty on the rebuilt and answered all my questions. Work was completed on time with about $150 in additional charges from the original estimate. The $150. was for additional parts, presented to me before the work was completed, with full justification and approved by me. When we left the shop, within 10 miles the CHECK ENGINE light came on. I called, Tim said bring it in and we will run the diagnostics on it. Turned out the new torque converter was defective. I had to leave the car overnight for them to replace it (taking about 8 hours of labor) at no cost!!! He said this happens rarely, but he has no way of knowing if the converter has a problem until he puts it in. His supplier will replace the converter, but he has to eat the labor. NOW THAT IS TRUE CUSTOMER SERVICE and INTEGRITY. After 10 days, Tim has me bring it back in for a check up to be sure everything was in order. Thanks Tim and AATCO guys!! Monty

Description of Work
Replaced transmission in 2000 Dodge Caravan.

Work Completed On 03/25/2013

04/29/2013

Heather T.

AATCO Transmission is an awesome guy. He is top-notch, incredible. I went with them because five or six years ago they worked on a car and gave me a really great rate. They were quick and professional, told me what was wrong but didn't force anything on me. This time when we walked in, it was with my daughter's car, and I had been told already that quite a few things needed to be done. When we got in to AATCO, Tim's guys said "You just need a brush, it's not leaking," he didn't put on a whole bunch of things that weren't needed. That's what you want from a mechanic, someone who is not going to just add on things because they want to make money. Then he even - one of her pieces was rusted a little bit, and he had taken off the piece, washed it, sanded it and painted it before he put it back on, and didn't charge us anything for that.

Description of Work
AATCO Transmission did some work on the brakes, a full transmission flush and rear differential check.

Work Completed On 04/15/2013

04/01/2013

Dana R.

I called Tim, he gave me directions, and I went out there. He is very nice and friendly and professional. I have a lot of confidence in his work. He has high ratings, and he is honest. I would definitely recommend him and use him myself when the need arises.

Description of Work
I had my transmission fluid exchanged.

Work Completed On 03/14/2013

10/12/2012

David N.

I got straightforward advice (effectively, "Let's talk together to see if it's worth it to spend the money to fix this transmission"), and when I decided to have the transmission re-built they put two guys on it to get it done quickly. They did a great job, and I have no complaints.

Description of Work
AATCO provided advice as I considered whether a transmission re-build was worth it, then quickly re-built my transmission.

Work Completed On 09/01/2012

09/21/2012

John P.

I choseTim's Aatco because of the Angie's list Ratings and now I can strongly recommend Tim to all others too. It's going to seemtoo good to be true when you enter the AATCO office for your estimate. First of all, the owner Tim, is actually the guy behind the desk in the office. He'll greet you kindly and discuss what you would like to have done. Then, he'll have one of his staff diagnose your vehicle, and he'll give you a free estimate based on his twenty odd years of experience. Two days later, in my case, Tim called to report that the work was finished and the price was within $80 of his estimate. So, Tim is great, the shop is great, the work was great and I'm glad I went to Tim's.

Description of Work
Complete transmission rebuild plus new front seal in T-Case.

Work Completed On 09/18/2012

05/25/2012

BEVERLY S.

Tim's AATCO Transmissions in Beaverton saved us from a $1500 mistake. My daughter's friend returned her borrowed van, a 2002 Dodge Caravan, saying her mechanic advised a transmission rebuild for $1500. Because my daughter had not actually spoken to the mechanic, I was skekptical and so I took the van to Tim's AATCO for a second opinion. They test drove the van, put it on the computer, and did a visual inspection. They said the transmission was doing what it is supposed to do, but had some stripped bolt holes which needed to be fixed and a leaking solinoid pack which needed to be replaced. The evaluation was free and the estimate for the necessary work was $500. They noted a missing rear wheel ABS sensor which they also replaced. They also alerted us to an alternator problem, which they don't work on, but recommended a couple of places where we could get the work done. Tim and his crew were professional, skilled, considerate and most importantly, they were honest. I appreciate their work and would recommend them to anyone with a transmission issue.

Description of Work
Evaluation of transmission, repair of stripped bolt holes, replacement of leaking solinoid and replacement of broken ABS sensor.

Category auto repair, transmission repair, car inspections

Work Completed On 05/14/2012

03/20/2012

Becky S.

What a great experience. Thank you Angie! The owner, Tim and lead Technician, Dan, were honest and I truly felt I was in the right place. Excellent customer service. Did not attempt to "sell up" any service. I will never go anywhere else. 100% satisfaction.

Description of Work
I went in expecting a complete transmission rebuild because I was sure the noise I was hearing under the hood came from the transmission. Dan, Lead Technician, drove it and we determined the noise was coming from the power steering pump. Silly me. I was 40,000 over my transmission check, and Tim got me ion the spot. 45 minutes later I was on the road. Total cost $130.00. Quite a nice surprise when I went in expecting $$$$$.

Work Completed On 03/19/2012

02/12/2012

Douglas S.

Great (so far), Vehicle was towed in [which was covered by AATCO] ; repaired in 2 or 3 business days; drives and shifts fine. I have been asked to come back in after 10 days for a checkup.

Description of Work
Complete R & R of automatic transmission for 4X4 Honda SUV

Work Completed On 02/03/2012

01/26/2012

Chad F.

ATTCO did a very good on my 95 nissan. With the age of the car I was concerned it would be cheaper to find another car than to fix the current one. Even their highest estimate was better than estimates I got at other shops. Complete transmission, 5 speed clutch and transaxle rebuild. Done on time and under budget. After completion they also informed me of a worn wheel bearing that needed to be addressed. Thanks to ATTCO I'm back on the road.

Description of Work
Complete transmission, 5 speed clutch and transaxle rebuild. Recommended shop that does bearing work.

Work Completed On 12/08/2011

10/24/2011

BETH H.

People at AATCO Transmission Company were honest. Their integrity stood out the most to me. My overall experience with them has been excellent. Their prices are very good. They are very good at what they do. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used AATCO Transmission Company in August.

Work Completed On 08/17/2011

04/12/2011

Andrew B.

They are very nice, very professional, and helpful. They are near. They took my car and let me know what was going on with the car, what it would sound like if it was the transmission, and what it sounds like if the problem is completely different from that. They gave me a couple of different places out to call and let me know about price points. Some of those places are nearby too.

Description of Work
I used Aatco Transmission last week. They kind of took my car first and then let me know what the problem was. It wasn’t my transmission, but they gave me some referrals and other places to try that would probably fix it. It was an engine misfiring and not transmission.

Category transmission repair, car inspections

Work Completed On 04/06/2011

04/09/2011

GABRIEL G.

A local Nissan dealer had given me an estimate and I wanted to get a second opinion. Tim told me the work needed to be done and gave me a better price. He told me the dealer price did not include everything that may be needed with the clutch, when it was seen. Once the truck was in the shop the differential was suspected of having a problem, as well. It took some time to figure out exactly what was needed. In the end I got a rebuilt transmission and clutch and a full service on the differential, plus some differential parts, all for less than the dealers original transmission and basic clutch estimate. I felt confident about the work and price in my conversations with Tim and Dan. The truck was done on time and they asked me to bring it in for a road test and inspection, on the hoist, after 10 days, which I did. The truck is running fine. I will use Tim's Aatco service again, when needed, and recommend Aatco to anyone who needs this kind of service.

Description of Work
Rebuilt transmission and clutch for a 2002 Nissan Frontier.

Work Completed On 03/24/2011

07/09/2010

JAN G.

They did what they were suppose to do. I felt that the price was reasonable. I would go back again.

Description of Work
They fixed my transmission.

Work Completed On 07/15/2009