Gahanna Animal Hospital

Founded 1964 • With Angi since January 1998

Husband and wife team Dr. John Worman and Dr. Paula Marrie purchased Gahanna Animal Hospital in 1981. Since their purchase there have been 2 renovations which have resulted in a large animal hospital offering many services. Gahanna Animal Hospital began with 2 exam rooms, a treatment area/pharmacy/lab, a surgical room and boarding facilities. With the 2 renovations (one in 1994 and one in 2005), the facility now has: 7 exam rooms, a full pharmacy, surgical suite, hospital ward, isolation room, intensive care unit, a full lab, a grooming facility and boarding that includes xtra-large runs, indoor/outdoor runs and pet suites complete with a T.V. and bed. Gahanna Animal Hospital currently has six associate veterinarians in addition to the owners. We offer full service wellness care/vaccinations, internal medicine diagnosis, hospitalization/intensive care, x-rays, bloodwork, allergy testing, dentals, surgery, long-term case managment, grooming, baths, day care and puppy classes. Gahanna Animal Hospital is truly a full service animal hospital. We also accept Care Credit as payment....

Our Shop

+2 more images

03/24/2018

Stacy & Suzanne C.

The staff is very caring and the last surgery was so successful that there have been no infections or problems with his ears. I would like to add that our vets (all are good but we prefer two in particular) are not quick to suggest tests and additional costs unless absolutely necessary. Calls are always returned and we never feel rushed when asking questions. Years ago when we lived 50 minutes from office, even though we had two vet offices 5 minutes from our house, we traveled to Gahanna Animal Hospital for our 4 felines, one of which had a chronic medical problem. We did try an office close to our house and were not happy with services. We have been using their services for 22 years and have referred friends to them. They treat our furry family members like their own. I rated a B in punctuality but as a customer you have to consider the fact that they do spend time with their patients, a case may end up being complex and require more time and sometimes there may be an emergency. I know if I brought my feline in as an emergency I would want him treated promptly.

Description of Work
Our cat has needed lifetime management and surgical intervention for a problem with his ears. He has had infections and multiple surgeries to keep the medical condition from worsening.

Work Completed On 02/01/2019

07/25/2017

Keith J.

They are very thorough and good with our pets. He is fine, they ended up giving him a shot of Benadryl. We were guessing he got bitten by a spider.

Description of Work
He had gotten, evidently bitten by a spider and the dog ended up with hives.

Work Completed On 10/08/2016

07/08/2017

Charlene O.

We have probably used them for the past twenty years. They've taken very, very good care of all of our dogs. They've taken excellent care of my oldest son's dog. They put him on some different medication this time and that seems to have worked, and worked well. We've had to have a couple of our dogs put down and they've handled that for us. What I really like is they have a special room where they'll get the dog prepped and then they'll bring him in and it's sorta like the dog gets up on the couch and you can just sorta hold him and cuddle him and just let him go to sleep in your lap. It chokes me up. We had to take two of our dogs over there. But then again, we've been here twenty years. They've always taken very, very good care of our animals. For price, I thought it was a reasonable charge. You can call them on the phone any time and they'll bring up the dog's records, and they'll sit there on the phone and question you about how's the dog reacting to this, that, and the other thing, and if they don't like the answers, they'll ask you to bring him in and they will stay open late and wait for you. Normally if we have an appointment with them, we'll get there maybe about five minutes early. At worst, we've had to wait ten minutes but that's been about it. They're very good about it. They're more punctual than my doctor. They're very focused; they're very professional, they care about the animal but they also care about you. They will take the time to explain things and tell you what the options are and they do it in a very humane way, especially when you have to have an animal put down.

Description of Work
We took my oldest son's dog over there about four weeks ago. He's nine years old; he's a big dog. He's had hip dysplasia and arthritis. They put him on some different medication, so we haven't had to go to Cortisone shots. They had to take a couple of sets of x-rays and everything else just to make sure that he had not had a pinched nerve or slipped a disc or something of that nature, because then you're talking an operation. They ruled all that out.

Work Completed On 06/17/2017

05/10/2017

DEBBIE S.

I took my cat here years ago for a 2nd opinion, I was referred to Nancy Rich, but all are wonderful. Dr. Rich is an amazing, nonparallel diagnostician. There ended up being 12 stones in her bladder and she had an ecoli infection. She was a very a sick kitty. Dr. Rich will spend as much time with your pet as that animal needs. I cannot say enough good things about her. Pets are scared when they go to the vets, but she will get down on the floor and do the exam just to make the pet more comfortable. She will go above and beyond to make them feel comfortable, including weighing and blood work. My cats now enjoy going to the vet. I also feel their prices are very reasonable and Dr. Richs' character is simply part of the culture of the entire clinic. I just want to add that I drive across town to take my cats here.

Description of Work
I take my 3 cats here.

Work Completed On 02/10/2017

Thank you so much for your kind words. We love being appreciated, and are so happy that you put your trust in us.

02/28/2017

Bobbie N.

Their prices are fair. The wait time wasn't very long at all. I kept coming back because of their service. They have a good attitude. They're friendly and nice.

Description of Work
I go to Gahanna Animal Hospital for my pets. They did a routine check-up on my pets.

Category pet grooming

Work Completed On 02/14/2017

06/30/2015

CATHY T.

Dr. Nancy Rich was wonderful! The purchase contract for my puppy required that I have tests done for hip/elbow dysplacia and thyroid for the OFA database when the puppy had her second birthday. This is often required by responsible breeders so that genetic disorders can be tracked for future breeding decisions regarding a puppy's litter-mates. The breeder, and her veterinarian, advised seeking a local veterinarian who would not anesthetize but would either do the x-ray awake or with a small amount of sedation (tranquilized but not put out). Having read about the risks of anesthetizing, I agreed. I have two vets I have regularly used in the past - one said they don't do OFA x-rays and the other would only do it with anesthesia so I called 10 vets in the Columbus area and they all said they would anesthetize for the process. I then asked a dog trainer I know locally who breeds her dogs and she said she personally drives her dogs to Troy Ohio to a veterinarian who specializes in OFA x-rays without sedation when she does OFA for her breeding program. However, the dog trainer also said she would ask other local breeders on my behalf. Dr. Nancy Rich at Gahanna Animal Hospital was recommended to her several times so she passed the name on to me. Everyone at Gahanna Animal Hospital was pleasant and efficient. Dr. Rich talked to me for a few minutes, scanned the dogs micro-chip, verified the paperwork I'd filled out, and then took my dog back for the x-rays while I waited about 20 minutes. Dr. Rich did the x-rays with no sedation. Then she went over the views with me and explained what I was seeing. She gave me a disk with the x-rays and took care of the paperwork for sending the required info into OFA. The 10 Columbus area veterinarians I had called quoted prices between $220 to $740 for the x-rays with anesthesia so the $290 charged by Gahanna Animal Hospital was reasonable for the service as well as being the only place that offered the non-anesthesia service I desired (for price comparison: that $740 quote was MedVet which is a hospital rather than a veterinary office). I would strongly recommend Dr. Nancy Rich and Gahanna Animal Hospital.

Description of Work
OFA (Orthopedic Animal Foundation) x-ray of hip and elbow without sedation.

Work Completed On 06/25/2015

06/29/2015

Linda S.

The vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication which quickly improved the leg condition over the course of several days. He scheduled a follow-up appointment and my dog was walking normally again. I have also taken my dog to doggie daycare at this facility,and all of the employees display caring attitudes to both the animals and human customers as well. I am very satisfied with my experiences at this veterinary hospital.

Description of Work
My dog was suddenly limping when I arrived home from work. I was able to take my dog that evening to see an orthopedic specialist who was very thorough and explained what he thought was going on with my dog's leg.

Work Completed On 01/10/2015

05/26/2015

William S.

Great professional service, good advice and they regularly go the extra mile to support our pets and our family.

Description of Work
I s now our regular vet for our dog and cat.

Work Completed On 03/26/2015

05/07/2015

Geiger L.

Dr. Nancy Rich is fantastic. The prices are a bit higher than other places so I will shop around at times. I found a place in Dublin that did a spaying of my Yorkie for almost half of Gahanna Animal Hospital. But, when you animal is sick, GAH is always able to get us in ASAP.

Description of Work
Exam, shots.

Work Completed On 12/16/2014

04/29/2015

Joetta B.

They were very nice, explained everything, and reported results promptly.

Description of Work
Puppy shots, fecal exam, and x-rays.

Work Completed On 04/24/2015

04/28/2015

Jeffrey H.

It went very well. Dr. Harkins is great with both of our dogs.

Description of Work
Examined our dog as she had a cold and gave us medicine for her.

Work Completed On 04/08/2015

04/09/2015

Deborah W.

They're good folks. They are good professionals. I recommend them. I love animals and I would never say that if I didn't believe it.

Description of Work
My dog had a check-up and a teeth check-up.

Work Completed On 03/10/2015

03/27/2015

LISA L S.

There are no dislikes about them. My cat is doing fine now and is on medication.

Description of Work
I take my pet to Gahanna Animal Hospital.

Work Completed On 09/14/2014

03/23/2015

ROBIN S.

I've been using them for 5 years. I know an area that used and recommended them. They all treat them like their own pets.

Description of Work
Our veterinarian is at Gahanna Animal Hospital. I took my pet for progesterone testing for breeding.

Work Completed On 03/23/2015

01/10/2015

John J.

I brought my black lab in for his first visit. He received all his shots and a basic examination. The doctor was very helpful and answered all my questions. The price was, I thought, very reasonable. Will definitely be making Gahanna Animal Hospital my regular vet for this dog and any other future pets.

Description of Work
Examination and shots

Work Completed On 01/02/2015

01/01/2015

Tamara R.

We have been having our pets be seen by Dr. Rich in particular, but have been pleased with other vets when Dr. Rich was not available. We have been taking our pets to Gahanna Animal Hospital for many years and recommend them to all our friends and family. Owning pets is becoming more and more costly but GAH has kept their prices consistently lower than most vets without skimping on quality. The only negative I can come up with is occasionally the wait time is a bit long, but I know that is only because they do not rush once you go into the exam room. I only wish my medical doctors treated me so well!

Description of Work
Dr. Rich takes care of our dog and two cats. She examines and vaccinates them, and treats them for any minor problems and surgeries. Her genuine love of animals is abundantly clear when she gets down on the floor to greet my dog. She takes the time to make friends with the pet, feeding them treats and calming their anxiety so that they always have a positive memory of visiting the vet. She never rushes in and out but takes as much time as needed to get the full picture and always does a thorough exam.

Work Completed On 08/05/2014

08/29/2014

Nicholas D.

I had scheduled my two dogs in to be groomed as I have had them groomed one time previously and they did a great job. I had them back in February to get all of their shots and to also be groomed. So when I brought them in I had expected that I did not need anything other than the grooming. They said I needed a semi-annual exam, and bordetella for both dogs and one of the two needed a rabies shot soon but not immediately. Since they said I HAD to get the bordetella I said OK on that but no on the rabies or exams. I've never heard of semi-annual exams for dogs with no chronic health problems. I wasn't sure if the bordetella was semi annual either as they had all of their shots updated in February. So when I picked them up it was $150 and not the $90 I was expecting to pay for just the grooming. I did expect to pay a little more because of the vaccinations but I was surprised that they were $26 each!! But what really upset me was that it looked like my dogs were not even groomed! When I got home I looked and the only parts that were cut were on the legs and by their ears when I asked them to be cut short all the way like last time. I called my sister-in-law who is a practicing vet in Cincinnati and asked her about the shots and how much they should cost. She said they are annual and they charge $12 for theirs! Half the price this place charges. She also added it takes a week for the vaccine ti start to work so it would have been pointless to get it that day as well as I just had them vaccinated in February. I also asked her about the semi-annual exams and she thought that was pretty ridiculous as well. So not only did I was swindled into getting and overpaying for vaccines that wont work for the time they were around the other animals but it was completely unnecessary. The only reason why they did not get an F is because of the great service they did in February. I'm not sure what happened this time around.

Description of Work
Scheduled grooming for my two dogs

Category veterinarian, pet grooming

Work Completed On 08/19/2014

05/01/2014

DIANA S.

Dr. Clay is wonderful. She is gentle and caring with Lady and me! I really appreciate that she explains and teaches as she examines her patient. I have come to the Gahanna Animal Hospital for years. The whole staff is warm and friendly. I recommend them to everyone.

Description of Work
examination of older cocker spaniel with fever and respiratory problems..

Work Completed On 05/01/2014

03/13/2014

marlene S.

She's wonderful! The vet is nice and knows what she's doing. My bird, Samantha really likes her too.

Description of Work
I have a cockatoo that I take here. I've been coming here for 9 years.

Work Completed On 10/01/2013

02/28/2014

Elizabeth T.

I had a wonderful experience.

Description of Work
First office visit.

Work Completed On 02/27/2014

02/19/2014

vicki A.

I have always had a good experience with them. They are very caring people. They really value animals and you can tell. I don't have to wait very long. They are also very friendly. It looks clean but it smells like dogs.

Description of Work
I use Gahanna Animal Hospital for their veterinary and boarding services.

Work Completed On 08/15/2013

02/11/2014

Eric R.

Outstanding service, didn't wait long and Vet was caring and provided lots of information on what to expect out of a growing puppy.

Description of Work
Provided shots for new puppy

Work Completed On 04/18/2013

10/26/2013

Kate B.

We like to take our dog to puppy daycare once or twice a week to let her get out and socialized with new people and to let her play with the other dogs. We also use this service for veterinary care. And sometimes we do both at the same time. Last summer Flint's eyes kept mattering and I mentioned it when I dropped her off for puppy day care. At some point during the day our vet checked her out and found there was nothing to be worried about. She called me with a full report, let me know that Flint's eyes were fine and what to watch out for, if something did go wrong. She answered all of my questions. I like using this puppy day care, not only do all of the staff seem to enjoy the dogs, but the dogs are clearly well treated. I also like knowing that all the dogs there are patients of the veterinary service and so are all in good health.

Description of Work
Puppy Daycare. We also use this source for all our dog's veterinary care and for kenneling.