Gafanovich, Dr Marina

Founded 1961 • With Angi since October 2008

4.4

1550 York Ave

New York, NY 10028

Dr. Marina Gafanovich is a board-certified internal medicine physician that is affiliated with New York Presbyterian (NYP) and the Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan. She received her medical degree from the world renowned Sackler School of Medicine in 2002 and has a thriving practice in Manhattan's Upper East Side. Dr. Gafanovich’s practice takes a humanist approach to medicine. She does not believe in treating diseases, she believes in treating people. Dr. Gafanovich spends a great deal of time with each and every patient to assess outside influence to medical issues, the patient’s lifestyle, their beliefs, and works to outline a treatment plan that does more than address the symptoms, but works at the core of the problem to address overall health and wellness. Dr. Gafanovich believes that doctors and patients are partners in the journey to wellness. You will always be treated as an individual when you walk through her doors, not just a number. She promises you prompt and courteous service. You will never wait more than 15 minutes before being shown to an exam room. http://www.abms.org http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=ABPTS&Template=/aptaapps/speccertdirectory/selectccsform.cfm ...

11/17/2014

Steve M.

Dr Gafanovich prescribed many unnecessary tests for my perfectly health 24 year old daughter; including a hearing test. My daughter has the best hearing in the family. She can hear a whisper across the house. The test was over $100 and was NOT covered by her insurance. Doctor. prescribed a whole range of unnecessary tests designed to increase her revenue - including an EKG (also not covered by insurance). My 24 year old daughter has perfect blood pressure and absolutely no symptoms of heart disease.

Description of Work
Checkup

10/29/2014

Beverly F.

Dr. Gafonovich was my PCP for several years. I stayed with her because she prescribed the meds I need. The only thing this doctor is interested in is the money. I would get calls from her assistant say, "the doctor would like to see you again next month." When I asked why, there was no response. She does all kinds of unnecessary testing, as part of her yearly physical, only because she knows she can bill the insurance company for it. When it comes to referrals she has virtually no list. All she does is refer to Cornell Weill. She will not give you a name of another provider unless you see her first. This is a bit difficult in an emergency , especially on a weekend, when she is unreachable. I could go on and on but will simply say, FIND SOMEONE ELSE.

Description of Work
PCP for several years.

10/17/2014

Albert H.

Dr. Gafanovich took my vitals and asked me to undergo physical test which was done mostly by her medical associate. Both ladies were really knowledgeable, and I felt comfortable doing what they asked for. I asked to be called with my lab tests, and one of the office staff did that in a matter of days. i had to come for a short follow-up, which was not a big deal.

Description of Work
The took my Cigna insurance although there was a little mess with my coverage. The doc's billing department quickly resolved all issues by contacting my carier directly.

10/10/2014

James P.

Went to see the doctor a few days later. The office is quite new, lots of space even with more than a few people waiting in the line. Dr. Gafanovich is a very friendly doctor who immediately won my trust. She guided me through all the possible health concerns in India, based on her personal experience and experience of her patients. Dr. Marina made me feel very relaxed and comfortable, and the checkup went very smoothly. I had my blood tests delivered to me within 48 hours. Fortunately, there was nothing to worry about and I didn't have to come for a follow-up. Overall, I think I will continue to have Dr. Gafanovich as my primary care doctor. I liked her attitude and professional skills.

Description of Work
I had to go to India on a business trip, and I was looking for a travel vaccination center to avoid any health issues. I found Dr. Gafanovich online, and I was quite impressed by her credentials. The staff was quite polite in setting my appointment, but also requested to undergo a complete physical exam - which I agreed to.

Category family doctor,internist

12/09/2013

Patricia S.

I was given antibiotics and cough medicine that helped me sleep. I felt much better in a few days.

Description of Work
I had bronchitis.

02/15/2013

Shireen B.

The staff was very efficient when I arrived as a new patient. I was in to see the nurse on time for my appointment. She was pleasant and efficient running routine tests. I did have to wait longer than desired between the nurse and Dr. Grafanovich, but I'm willing to write this off to an end of day appointment in the middle of cold & flu season. When I did see the Doctor, I had her full attention. She was detailed, caring, and professional. At the end, she told me the office would call to follow up by the end of the week. They called the next day.. good follow up. I'm very happy with my new primary care doctor.

Description of Work
I had an annual physical + treatment for bronchitis.

10/29/2012

Vladimir K.

She's practically the best doctor I've ever seen. Very professional and reserved, but caring at the same time. I have diabetes, so a regular doctor visit is a must. Maybe that's only an illusion, but she seems to treat me with a great deal of respect. I am a simple "follow-up" patient and I guess I am not the huge source of billing revenue, so that's very pleasant to still be or at least feel like "preferred" patient. It is very important to have your health stored in some caring hands with that kind of condition. The staff is very friendly and gentle, even though I am not subscribed to a concierge service. I am always able to secure an appointment on the same day when I call. The location si a few blocks away from me, but it's worth it.

Description of Work
She is my primare care physician. I went on a "sick call". Normally I only do my health exam once a year, but that was one of the emergency http://my.angieslist.com/AngiesList/MyAngie/ReportOnCompany/Default.aspx?LzF9WmbC9wMX2uQyzClgM1HhiUnZ0%2fQ0O8jQp%2fvCtQhmF9W%2fmf1mMn3dttfbmdl6appointments.

09/13/2012

Artem K.

Dr. Marina Gafanovich is a very nice young professional and good physician. I booked my appointment online that was confirmed in a flash. The office was very clean and looked brand new (probably was renovated). The assistant had apparently done thousands of checkups before, as she was very confident and precise. I had to wait for only several minutes before the call, but I might have skipped the rush hour. Dr. Gafanovich did answer all of my questions and did not try to end the visit early. In fact, she spent enough time to make the first aquaintance and get to know me as her patient. The follow-up was quick, but very informative. I now rest assured my health is "up-to-date".

Description of Work
Searched online in search for a new primary care doctor (my annual physical was due and my previous Internist retired). She had so many positive reviews, so I decided to check in.

06/25/2012

Susan S.

You do have to be prepared to spend time in the waiting room because it's a long wait. She is a good doctor.

Description of Work
Dr. Marina Gafanovich is my primary care doctor.

Category family doctor,internist

05/15/2012

Jade H.

I was new to New York City. Fell ill for nausia and lower back pain. I found her from the internet search that she was highly rated by many patients. So I made my appointment. But I was very disappointed when I saw her. She behaved in a very unprofessional manner. When she first entered the room, she immediately put on her mask. When later she learned that my sickness is not contagious, she removed her mask. When she was talking to me, she kept toying with her hair. I mentioned my back pain, she did not do any examination at all on my back. I also mentioned other symtoms such as nausea. I thought maybe those symptoms were related. She wasn't interested. She prescribed her diagnosis and treatments based upon individual symptoms. I was extremely disappointed with the experience. I thought it was a complete waste of time and money. A few weeks later, my medical bill arrived. The bill amount was higher than other physicians I have seen and my insurance only covers a small amount, even though she claims she is in network.

Description of Work
I visited her for nausea and back pain.

03/01/2012

Nick P.

I've been going to her for about four years. She bought my previous doctor's practice. She's smart, caring and attentive. She's punctual and up to date. I definitely will continue to see her in the future.

Description of Work
Dr. Gafanovich is my primary care physician. She is excellent. I was last there about six months ago.

01/12/2012

Emily B.

The physical itself was fine - the nurse who assisted me was competent and friendly. However, two things bothered me: one, she left the door open a few inches when she left the room, leaving me sitting on a table wearing a paper gown. Two, at one point I was asked to wait in a kind of nurse's-station holding area, where all kinds of patient information (files, open computer screens) was visible. This made me uncomfortable. Dr. Gafanovich was friendly, but she seemed to brush off my questions (example: "Dr Gafanovich, I'm concerned that I've gained a little weight lately." "Eat less, more exercise, that should help.") I received a good physical, and had no major problems, but I will be looking for a new general practitioner.

Description of Work
I needed to see a general practitioner for a basic physical, so I called to schedule an appointment - Dr. Gafanovich was able to see me within the week.

09/15/2011

Dave H.

I am not a group practice lover, so I picked the solo practioneer with the biggest number of positive reviews. Setting appointment was easy, and my visit was confirmed 10 minutes later. To be honest, when I arrived I almost changed my mind and headed out to the exit - the office was undergoing major renovation. However, the doctor personally greeted me and apologized for the mess. This gave me some relief, and I decided to give her a try. During my annual checkup, Dr. Gafanovich was very polite and down-to-earth. At the same time I appreciated her light sense of humor that allowed a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. The medical advice was precise (I had a few minor issues, thanks God we caught them early) and clear. I believe my health is in good hands. Thanks, Angieslist.

Description of Work
I was looking for a new doctor and even bought an Angieslist subscription to make the right choice.

08/15/2011

Mary G.

I visited this doctor because my stomach was killing me. Sure thing, by the time the appointment was due the pain was almost gone Anyway, the location, the staff, and Dr. Marina Gafanovich herself are all AMAZING. I was welcomed and surrounded by care and support. The rooms are neat and clean.It took only 5 minutes for Dr Marina to know what it was. She prescribed some medication and spoke about my Indian cultural roots which was very nice and relaxing. They also took my insurance, which is not so common in this neiborhood. And she is affiliated with New York Presbyterian Hospital. A very good internal medicine doctor!

07/11/2011

Jimmy S.

I?m very glad that I chose exactly this doctor. Thanks to her responsiveness, kindness and professionalism and accurate,well organized cooperation of the staff my treatment was very pleasant. I never met such a good attitude towards patients. It is even hard to describe all nuances which demonstrate how excellent the service of this clinic is. My illness was quite complicated but never I lose my spirit and my hope that everything will be Ok thanks to the confidence and professionalism of doctor Marina Gafanovich.

Description of Work
Physical Therapy

06/06/2011

Ann S.

She seems very well organized and cool-headed. The staff is pleasant and also well organized. I wasn’t kept waiting for long.

Description of Work
Dr. Marina Gafanovich is my primary care physician. I just saw her today.

04/28/2011

Mary J J.

I have always felt welcome at Doctor Gafanovich's office. The practice is in my neighbourhood and I discovered it by coincidence. It is a plus that you get an appointment pretty quickly and that Gafanovich is respectful. I have seen her about two years and will continue with her. She cares about her patients and you don't feel like you're on an assembly line and get chased out before you are done. Doctor Gafanovich gives good advice and is very helpful when you are in a difficult situation. I need regular follow-up by a physician and a doctor that is respectful gives the patients a good feeling when leaving after the appointment.

Description of Work
Regular follow-up by a physician.

04/11/2011

Ann E S.

I had an allergy and I had to take pills constantly. The reason of my allergy wasn?t known exactly so nothing helped. After I came to Dr. Gafanovich this problem is almost gone. She made analysis and defined the exact reason of my allergy. After three months of treatment I started to live without my pills/ now I am taking them only in extra cases. Thank you Dr. Gafanovich

Description of Work
She made analysis and defined the exact reason of my allergy.

Category allergist,internist

03/29/2011

Daniel R.

I first went to Doctor Mariana Gafanovich because I was not happy with my previous doctor. I felt more or less like I was a bother to his staff. The staff at Dr Gafanovich's is nothing like this. I am treated well from the moment I call on the phone to get an appointment. Gafanovich is knowledgeable and I guess she seems born to be a doctor. Even though the issues I see her about a rather serious she has the ability to create a pleasant environment and mood. I really appreciate her positivity and experience. Daniel Roberts

Description of Work
Internal checkup.

03/17/2011

Robert S.

After many years with computer related work I have for a long time had problems with my forearm. I have seen a doctor about the problem before. He meant the problem would pass by itself. They did not. I am very thankful to Doctor Gafanovich. My pains are now almost gone and I am on a training program to strengthen my arm so I can prevent further problems and continue my work.

Description of Work
She took my problems seriously, subscribed tablets equivalent to voltaren and referred me to a good physiotherapist.

03/02/2011

Joyce S.

We feel extremely fortunate to have found Dr. Gafanovich. She has saved the life of my husband twice. The first occasion was when she diagnosed a circulation problem and referred him to a top heart specialist affiliated with Weill-Cornell. Turns out his widow artery was almost totally blocked and a stent was inserted. On the second occasion, Dr. Gafanovich, answered her cell phone at 7:30 pm - while on vacation in Aruba - and diagnosed via the phone, that my husband was bleeding internally and sent us directly to the hospital. In addition to her medical expertise and diagnostic abilities, Dr. Gafanovich listens to what her patients have to say -- a crucial skill. She worked with me regarding my high cholesterol and did not immediately raise my medication dosage. She gave me the opportunity via excerise and diet to try on my own. She is a wonderful doctor!

Description of Work
Circulation problem Weight Problems

02/10/2011

Arkady B.

Dr. Gafanovich is one of the best--if not the best--doctors i have ever had. She is thoughtful, caring, and has an excellent bedside manner. She has never once given me the impression that she is in it for the money, as so many doctors seem to these days. She actually sits down and talks with you for as long as she has time to do. She smiles a ton and has an extremely calming presence. when i had a very bad bladder infection, She actually came to check on me in the ER. This hasn't happened to me in--well, let's say forever. She is patient with her patients, if you will, and seems to be always aware of the fact that there is a person behind the illness. she understands that people's fears and anxieties are present alongside whatever happens to be ailing them at that particular moment; and she treats these people with dignity and respect. I think this is so rare that when you see it in a doctor, it should be shouted from the rooftops. Iin short, she's a really decent person. If you are a patient of hers, she is concerned about your well-being, and will do what she can to make sure that you understand what your treatment will entail, that you are comfortable with said treatment, and that you know what all your options are. If she thinks you would be better served by seeing a specialist, she will refer you, and the people she refers you to are generally just as awesome as she is.

Description of Work
Treated my bladder infection.

Primary Care - Internal Medicine
    Counseling - General
    Rehabilitation - Physical Therapy
    Primary Care - Family Medicine
    Allergy & Immunology
    Primary Care - Geriatrics
    Visa, Check, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Annual physical, Chest X-Ray (performed, developed, and read by MD on premises), Cholesterol Panel (performed on-site), Electrocardiogram (ECG), Hearing Tests, INR (blood clotting) Testing, Medical clearances for college students, Pre-employment medical clearances, including PPD testing, Pre-operative clearances (our pre-op clearances are completed in 48 to 72 hours), Routine Vaccinations, Same-day CAT scans, ultrasounds, or any other imaging, Urinalysis, Urine Pregnancy Testing etc.