Parkwood Animal Hospital

Founded 1984 • With Angi since May 2010

4849 S Apex Hwy

Durham, NC 27713

Our practice is very patient (and owner) oriented. We are a smaller practice that takes time to get to know you and your pet. We will treat them as our own pets, and consider their health to be a priority; not our client's wallet. Our staff has been consistent for many years, with almost no turnover (except those going on to college). We still offer high quality medicine despite a small size, and take pride in our care for pets. We don't try to push extra services on our clients, and we believe that honesty works better than trying to confuse folks with technobabble....

08/16/2017

Joyce J.

Description of Work
They removed a tumor off of cat.

03/16/2016

Laura M.

11/12/2015

ASHLEY M.

03/07/2015

Jennifer V.

Its location in a rundown shopping center may give you pause, but this a great veterinary practice. I've been bringing my cats here for almost 5 years and have consistently been happy with the care I've received, the friendliness and professional of the staff (front desk, vet techs, vet), and particularly the ease with which I'm able to make appointments. When I call to make an appointment, the staff recognize my name and are always very friendly. I love my cats but don't have an unlimited budget. Staff explain options for flea treatment, blood panels, vaccinations, etc., in an open, nonjudgmental manner, and I never feel pressured to accept services that the cats may not need. Yesterday I took my 11-year-old healthy cat in for her annual checkup and 1-year rabies vaccine. She got a quick but thorough physical checkup. I also brought in my 12-year-old cat who has hyperthyroidism. We've been treating this for about 4 months now, adjusting medication levels as needed. When she was first diagnosed, the vet spent a lot of time (and wasn't rushed) giving me all the information I needed about medication choices and formulations (coated pills, uncoated pills, transdermal gel, etc.). Yesterday I asked about flea treatment, now that spring is coming, and was given full information about choices, including new technologies that I didn't know about (i.e., non-toxic flea collars), complete with price. I was able to make an informed choice without pressure. So many vets try to guilt you into paying for deluxe services that may not really be needed. Parkwood Animal Hospital doesn't do that. They have the best interests of my cats -- and also my wallet -- in mind. I'm a very happy customer.

Description of Work
Annual checkup and 1-year rabies vaccine for one 11-year-old healthy cat. Blood work (thyroid panel) for one 12-year-old cat with hyperthyroidism.

01/09/2015

Caitlin M.

It was positive overall. The staff was perfect. They remember us and our dog. Everything they do shows us how much they care.

Description of Work
My dog had a medical emergency.

10/28/2014

Karen V.

09/24/2014

Marilyn M.

Description of Work
This was a very sad visit because I had to put my cat down. The staff was most kind and compassionate in my time of grief. A fine practice

06/10/2014

Michael R.

They were very clean, professional, and good with the cats. I brought the cats in for shots and checkups and Dr. Stech noticed some dental problems so they did two extractions as well.

Description of Work
Shots, exams, and dental work for two cats

09/12/2013

Caitlin M.

As usual it was a fantastic visit. The wait was short the staff were friendly and knew us by name and the care was high quality. I genuinely feel that they are invested in the health of my dogs, and want to make sure we understand what they are doing. They give us clear instructions and answer all of our questions. We plan to stay as long as we live close to Parkwood!

Description of Work
We took our littler dog in for an annual checkup and to have them look at his eye which recently was damaged.

08/26/2013

Charles R.

I really like this vet. It's a small practice, I'm used to a much larger one, but I really like that the vet takes so much time with each visit. All the nurses are very knowledgeable and spent a lot of time just petting my dog and my two cats and telling them how wonderful they were while getting their histories - it's not a "let's get down to business" kind of place. The vet is extremely knowledgeable about my dog's condition and was able to explain it very clearly, taking a lot of time. When she referred him out for surgery, she called to ask how the referral visit went and we were on the phone for almost an hour - on a Saturday night! She was able to get a referral to a less expensive place and also to provide some alternative treatment options and some good suggestions. They took a picture of all my pets, which was cool. I'm not sure how their prices compare to other vets in the area. They seem in line with other practices - vet care is just expensive, you know? For regular services and checkups, which is the first thing we did with them, they were about the same as other vets. I felt the quality of service and personal attention made up the difference in cost if there was one.

Description of Work
Prescribed follow-up painkillers and anti-biotics for ear infection due to tumor.

04/05/2013

Steven B.

They are always friendly and they take time to listen to your problems with your animal and see if it really is a problem. Their prices are reasonable. They are courteous and take time to play with your animal.

Description of Work
We have been using Parkwood Animal Hospital.

11/18/2012

Gregory S.

I was really pleased with Parkwood. They were very responsive to our concerns about our cat's health and were able to offer sound advice. They took very good care handling him too. Very gentle when it came time to shots and clipping the nails. The price was also VERY comparable! Most of the vets are much more expensive. I will definitely be going back to see them in a year :)

Description of Work
Annual Exam and shots for our cat.

10/21/2012

Holly S.

Our family has been going to Parkwood Animal Hospital for the last 4 to 5 years. It is a wonderful place where the entire staff provides excellent care to our pets...care that is sensitive, intuitive, intelligent and appropriate. Dr. Rowe and Dr. Stech are absolutely amazing veterinarians who truly know what they are doing. The staff that we've worked with (Matt, Alison, Nicole and Becky) are so wonderful to our pets and to our family. In fact, they make you feel like family. This is a very educated group of care providers with an abundance of experience and lots of heart! We cannot even imagine taking our dog anywhere else and cannot recommend them highly enough!!

Description of Work
Our recent visit entailed providing care for our dog who has been having ongoing neck and back problems.

04/11/2012

judith N.

I am going to take one of my dogs in a couple of weeks for a physical. I spend about $300 a year for my 3 dogs. The experience has always been good and I have been using them for 3 years. They are very friendly and communicate well with me. They go the extra mile in answering my questions. They are just wonderful with the animals and my dogs just love them. I just like them a lot. I would continue to go there as long as I have dogs and as long they are there.

Description of Work
I take my dogs to Parkwood Animal Hospital for veterinarian services. We were there in March getting some medications for my dog

12/11/2011

Nancy W.

The vets here care about their animal patients and do very good work

Description of Work
I took my dogs here for years and still would had I not moved.

11/23/2011

Hugh P.

This was my first visit to Parkwood Animal Hospital. I took my cats there for their checkups and shots. The vet and staff were very friendly and very good with the cats.

05/19/2011

Susan A.

I have been going to this animal hospital for 30 years and have always been happy with the service and care given to my various cats and dogs through the years.

12/09/2010

Janet P.

They are always consistent. They send me reminders when my animals are due for checkups or vaccinations. They have extended hours and hours on Saturdays. I am working person and the hours help me get my animals in. I will consider them in the future.

Description of Work
I used Parkwood Animal Hospital, six months ago.

11/14/2008

Emily S.

Wonderful experience. I have been searching for a veterinarian with a warm caring office since I first moved to North Carolina 10 years ago. After a bad experience at another office a friend recommended Parkwood Animal and I am so grateful for the suggestion. I took my 3 yr old dachshund in for a general check and to discuss strategies for trimming her nails since she always freaks out. The staff was very welcoming and sensitive to my concerns. After looking over my dog and getting her really comfortable with them the vet. tech. was able to get my dog to let her trim her nails. While she was nervous it was not the high stress, freaking out experience we have had elsewhere. Dr. Tarkington spent a lot of time talking with me and letting me know that I was doing all the right things for my dog. The most telling thing about the whole experience was that my dog was wagging her tail while we were there. As a rescue she is usually uncomfortable in new situations and keeps her tail firmly tucked under herself so for her to be comfortable and happy enough to wag in a new place is huge. Can't wait to work with this office in the future.

Description of Work
General health check and nail trim for my dog.

06/18/2008

KERRY H.

Dr. Tarkington was amazing - the kindest and most practical vet I've ever had. He spent over an hour talking with me and checking out my dog and I left feeling like I finally had a reasonable plan for my dog. I went back the next week for x rays which I thought were very reasonably priced. What a hidden treasure!

Description of Work
Met with Dr. Tarkington to discuss "senior care" for my dog. This is after I had a bad experience at my previous vet and felt pushed into spending thousands of dollars for procedures I didn't think would matter on a 100 year old dog.

02/20/2008

Diane W.

We're happy with them. I think their prices are very fair. They attend to me quickly. They are great people! They remember me and know my animals. They inquire about previous conditions. They take care of them properly. There is lots of parking there. They have emergency numbers if necessary.

Description of Work
They take care of my cat.

09/18/2007

TERRIE B.

I have always had great care from this vet. The staff and the doctors are all very sensitive to you and your pets needs. When I had to have one of my other cats put to sleep, they were very caring and thoughtful. It gave me a wonderful piece of mind, to know that they cared. They also sent me a card singed by everyone in the office. I feel like they treat the animals like one of their own.

Description of Work
They gave all three of my cats their physicals and updated all their shots.

09/14/2007

MARY C.

They do not do multiple animal discounts but they have reasonable rates. I find that their approach to medicine is more conservative and not over the top. I like that the veterinarian who gives me options for treatment as well.

Description of Work
I took my female dog there for her annual check up, updated shots and preventative heart worm medicine.

08/28/2007

steve M.

As always the staff is very attentive and loving to the animal being brought in. They really treat the customer like they are the only thing that matters in the world. Both Dr. Rowe and Dr. Tarkington are always willing to sit down and take whatever time is necessary to answer any questions you may have about this current patient, or any other pet you may have. It is always a pleasure to take our pets to Parkwood.

Description of Work
We were adopted by a stray cat, and took him to Parkwood to get his initial shots/checked over.

06/15/2007

Russ M.

The staff at the Parkwood Animal Hospital are excellent. They are always accommodating and friendly. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs and they do a great job with any issues that we have had.

Description of Work
Full service veterinarian.

Veterinarians
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Well-care, vaccines, surgery (neutering and general), nutritional counselling, behavior work-ups, dentistry, radiographs, internal medicine, prescription diets.

Orthopedic surgery, thoracic surgery.