Clifton, Dr. Thomas S.

Founded 1991 • With Angi since September 2008

5242 Roxboro Rd

Durham, NC 27712

Dr. Clifton has been providing outstanding dental care to Durham, North Carolina and the surrounding areas since July 1, 1999. We are pleased to provide a full-range of general, cosmetic, endodontic, periodontic and preventative treatment options for enhancing your smile using only the latest in state-of-the-art technology. http://www.abgd.org/docs/verification.htm, http://www.aboms.org/General_Information/general_information.htm#pblic. https://aaeecom.aae.org/aaeeweb/FindENDO/Find_Endodontistabe.aspx, http://www.abpd.org/roster-disclaimer....

10/04/2017

Roberta G.

Fantastic. I avoided going to the dentist. I was afraid and didn’t know any. I did my internet homework and found Dr Clifton. He is patient, and knowledgeable. I didn’t want a big corporation. I wanted a local dentist. I wouldn’t go any where else. I found the right one.

Description of Work
X-rays, charting, and cleaning next week.

Category dentists

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your confidence in us! We are so glad you found your dental home. Dr. Clifton

03/30/2017

Jennifer C.

He is good. The price was more than I expected. I was thinking of changing over only because of the cost.

Description of Work
He is our dentist.

02/15/2016

Maxwell M.

All the staff was exceptionally friendly and the appointment was right on time twice in a row. They did a very complete exam and explained everything that was going on. This has been my consistent experience twice in a row and I will certainly be returning in the future.

Description of Work
Dental Exam and Cleaning

11/05/2015

Christopher C.

Dr. Clifton and his fantastic staff saw me quickly when I lost a filling, exposing the tooth to the potential for more damage (read wait to long and now you need a crown). As always, Dr. Clifton was warm and caring. He took the time to make sure nothing else significant was going on with my teeth. I always look forward to my visits as I really enjoy everyone in the office. You can't go wrong with Dr Clifton.

Description of Work
I lost a filling.

07/20/2015

Keith L.

The experience was pleasant and the staff very professional. I highly recommend Dr. Thomas as a healthcare provider/dentist.

Description of Work
Check up

Category dentists

Thank you [member name removed] for the great feedback. We appreciate patient referrals. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit. Dr. Clifton

07/01/2015

Kathryn B.

I have been to Dr. Clifton's office several times. Each time they work very hard to find the root of my tooth problems and coming up with ideas to improve my quality of life. It is obvious they care about their patients. I highly recommend Dr. Clifton to anyone needing dental care.

Description of Work
It was a follow-up appointment with Dr. Clifton. Everyone was real friendly and helpful.

Category dentists

Thank you [Members Name] for the nice comments. The entire staff appreciates your feedback and endorsement. Have a great summer! Dr. Clifton

04/30/2015

Diane B.

He was excellent. I've been going to him for a long time. It's very pleasant and the people there are extremely nice and friendly. It's comfortable there. I'm absolutely terrified with dentists and he pretty much took the care out of it. I fell asleep in his chair one morning. That's how relaxed I was. I recommended him to a lot of nurse. He really takes the fear out. He's so good. He is extremely mannered and easy-going.

Description of Work
I used him and he's a general.

Category dentists

Thanks (removed member name) for the wonderful words. We appreciate all the referrals!

04/24/2015

Kim P.

They're great. I have been seeing him for 4 or 5 years now. They will get you in within a day or so. When you go in, you only have to wait 5 or 10 minutes unless he has an emergency or something going on. He's really personable, you can talk to anybody in the office like they are your friend. He gives the best shots than any other dentist I have ever been to.

Description of Work
I went there to get a filling.

Category dentists

Thanks [Member name removed] for the positive feedback. It was great to see you and the kids!

03/31/2015

Audrey L M.

I like his services, he is very compassionate and gives you all the ins and outs about what's going on. His dental hygienist that cleans your teeth is awesome.

Description of Work
Just a cleaning.

03/14/2014

Natalie H.

I super like him. What makes him good is that, he's very down-to-earth, very communicative, professional, has good hygienist in the office, all of his staff is friendly, does good work, explains everything he's doing, very thorough, and he's just an all around nice and good guy. It's a very expensive proposition but good. He's not trying to get money out of me but try to help me and serve my knees.

Description of Work
I used Dr. Thomas S. Clifton most recently, he put a dental splint my teeth because it's loose and it's holding them together and like work to get a permanent bridge, and pulled one of my teeth.

Category dentists, oral surgeons, tmj

Thank you [mbr removed] name for the great review. I appreciate all the kind words. My staff and I strive to provide outstanding customer service. I look forward to seeing you again soon. Dr. Clifton

03/02/2014

Peter M.

Went fine. I've used Dr. Clifton for several years and he's always done an outstanding job. He has done fillings, crowns, TMJ Applicance and cleanings/checkups.

Description of Work
Check up and Cleaning.

Category dentists

Thanks (Member name removed). I appreciate the support.

11/20/2013

Cheryl G.

The appointment was at 9 am. When I came in around 8:50, no staff was at the front desk and I waited for 10 minutes before anyone showed up. That was the only snafu. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and explained billing, insurance and financial matters well. Dr. Clifton was extremely thorough in his exam and gave me good advice on x-rays and antibiotics based on his knowledge and experience. He is very down-to-earth, friendly, and professional. He showed me the x-rays and photos he took of my teeth and the plaque build-up around my retainer bar -- I had never had a dentist do that before. The first appointment with Dr. Clifton is only for a thorough exam and evaluation. I will be returning in less than a week for prophylaxis. Based on what I experienced so far, I would recommend his practice to anyone looking for a dentist.

Description of Work
Moved from another state and needed to locate a local dentist. I found Dr. Clifton on Angie's List and decided to give him a try.

Category dentists

[member name removed], thank you for the feedback. Each morning my staff and I get together to go over the day's schedule. Your first impression means a lot to us. We will work on getting someone out there by 8:45am to greet guests. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Dr. Clifton

09/09/2013

Pat & Mike P.

He is very friendly and answers all my questions that I may have. He gave me a clean bill of health and I am well pleased with him. I don?t have to wait long for an appointment and if it?s emergency he will squeeze me in within 48 hours.

Description of Work
I went for my oral exam and cleaning.

Category dentists

Thank you (Member name removed) for the great review. We appreciate our long time, special patients! Dr. Clifton and Staff

08/19/2013

Abee B.

Prompt, courteous, great at explaining everything to myself and my child.

Description of Work
Cleaning for myself and my 7 year old.

Category dentists, pediatric dentist

Thank you [removed member name] for the positive review. We appreciate you feedback. Dr. Clifton and Staff

08/16/2013

Lynda R.

This dentist is wonderful! His staff are always cheerful and concerned. My appointment started on time and was completed quickly and efficiently. I did not feel rushed. I have recommended him to family and friends.

Description of Work
X-rays, cleaning, dental check-up.

Category dentists

[member name removed], Thank you for the review. We are so glad to have you as part of our dental family. Dr. Clifton

09/15/2012

Allen & Donna C.

Everything went well as evidenced by the superior grades I gave Dr. Clifton and his practice. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a dentist.

Description of Work
I had a cavity fall out and was new to the area so I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Clifton. After the first consult he scheduled a appointment to fix the tooth.

Category dentists

Member, Thank you for the great review. We are glad to have you in our practice and look forward to a long relationship. Dr. Clifton

06/17/2012

Beth H.

I have been seeing Dr. Clifton for apx 8 years. I have had at least 3 different hygenists, but am quite fond of the one I have now. I seldom wait more than 5 minutes before I'm called back to the 'chair' for a cleaning. I have indicated that I don't want to have a set of x-rays each year. He and his staff have been accomodating me with that request. Initially they strongly suggested I should have the x-rays, but did not press too much. I have minimal dental insurance and Dr. Clifton is a "non-participating' provider with my current insurance. His staff will bill the insurance, but I must initially pay the bill in full which is understandable, but this is a change from when I first went to this practice. He and the hygenist wash their hands before and after putting on gloves. Both wear eye/face guards when completing procedures. He is very much to the point with his explanations which I like.

Description of Work
6 month check-up. Visits are generally short, but he does explain what he is doing quite well.

Category dentists

Thank you Member for your review. We appreciate the feedback from our patients. We look forward to seeing you in the next few months. Dr. Clifton and staff

06/15/2012

Todd W.

Dr. Clifton is great and has a great bedside manner. He makes sure that you understand what he is doing and will take as much time as needed. Does excellent work. The only issue is with the dental assistants during a cleaning. We go on a regular schedule of 2x year and we have never had someone as rough as this assistant. You will feel the affects for several days after she is finished.

Description of Work
tooth buildup.

Category dentists, cosmetic dentist

Members, Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate all feedback as it helps us to improve our service to our customers. Sometimes during a hygiene appointment, the hygienist may have to probe a bit deeper under the gum line to remove tartar build-up. If at anytime you are uncomfortable, please let her know immediately. We can take steps to reduce the discomfort. If you prefer, we can schedule you with our other hygienist at your next visit. Once again, thanks for the feedback. Dr. Clifton and staff

06/15/2012

GREGORY A.

The appointment went well and I am very pleased with the outcome. I have been to many dentists in my life and I have to say, this man is the most gentle and caring dentist I have been treated by.

Description of Work
I had an appointment with this dentist to have a crown made.The appointment went well. Dr. Clifton is a very kind, gentle and engaging dentist.

Category dentists, cosmetic dentist

Thank you for the vote of confidence. It is patients like you that bring joy to the work with do. Dr. Clifton and Stafff

06/11/2012

Pat & Mike P.

He is extremely honest. He doesn't do unnecessary things. The girl that does my cleanings is great. He is a very good dentist. He has a good practice. He is reliable and dependable. If I had a problem he would some how fit me in.

Description of Work
I go to Dr. Thomas S. Clifton for my dental care.

Category dentists

Thanks for the great comments Member. It is patients like you that make our job enjoyable! Dr. Clifton and Staff

08/19/2011

Claude R.

His prices are reasonable. He is very caring and interested in you as a patient. He doesn't try to talk you into work that isn't necessary, and he runs a tight ship. He is really overall a good dentist and very honest.

Description of Work
He has been my dentist for 18 years.

Category dentists

Member, We appreciate hearing from our patients but especially those who have been with us from the beginning! Thanks for sharing those kind comments. We look forward to seeing you soon! Dr. Clifton

06/15/2011

Lynne F.

Dr. Clifton is great. He is very personable, very thorough, and very reasonable. He is always on time. He never makes me wait. The office staff is very nice. They make me feel very comfortable. I would recommend him to friends and family.

Description of Work
Dr. Thomas Clifton is my general dentist. I last saw him 6 months ago.

Category dentists

Thank you very much for the kind words. We appreciate the feedback and support we get from our outstanding patients! See you soon. Dr. Clifton

04/29/2011

Rosemary K.

This was my first appointment with Dr. Chilton. I arrived 10 minutes early. There was a very loud noise, sounded like drilling going on continously. It was getting on my nerves. The dental assistant promptly brought me back to the exam room. The racket continued. It echoed off the walls and hard surface floor. I commented to the assistant. She said it was the tooth polishing machine. After 10 more minutes, I couldn't stand it anylonger. I told assistant I was leaving, the noise was too much.

Description of Work
no service performed

Category dentists

Member, Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry that the noise of the drill made you uncomfortable. We had recognized the need to replace the equipment and had in fact already placed an order for a new hand piece. I hope we have an opportunity to see you again in our office. Susan Clifton Practice Manager

04/07/2011

Laura P.

I called Dr. Clifton's office to set up an appointment to get my teeth cleaned. I was informed that they require 2 visits to consult and do a dental cleaning for 1st time clients (this is not negotiable). I was also informed that they insist on doing xrays (also not negotiable). If you have recent xrays you'll be alright, but if you dont, they will insist you have them (and obviously pay for them). I explained to them that I was not working (due to an illness) and therefore could not afford xrays..that I could only afford the dental cleaning but they didnt care. They refused to provide treatment unless I bought xrays. For this reason I chose not to proceed. I have been getting my teeth cleaned for over 46 years and no dentist has ever required xrays. I am not prepared to spend a couple hundred dollars to get xrays done of an area that is not being treated (below the gumline). A dental cleaning is a dental cleaning. If I had dental issues below the gumline, I would consider it a reasonable request... Your doctor (MD) wouldnt order xrays for a yearly physical when you had no physical symptoms. I dont see why a dentist would require xrays when your going in for a dental cleaning and have no symptoms of disease/illness.

Category dentists

Member, I am sorry that you were not pleased with our office policies. We schedule new patients to our practice for a consultation and record visit so that Dr. Clifton can do a comprehensive examination and spend extra time getting to know each patient and his dental history. In order to perform a thorough evaluation, x-rays are taken. This is one of the best ways to identify dental issues not visible to the eye. If a new patient is able to supply x-rays that were taken within the last year, we request a copy of those records. At that point, additional x-rays may taken if the patient presents with a specific complaint. We wish the best in your search for dental care. Susan Clifton, Practice Manager

04/01/2011

Jessica D.

He is right around the corner from my house. He required two appointments for the first visit as a new patient. The first one was for a consultation and then you go back for a cleaning. I had never experienced that before with a dentist actually wanting to talk with me so that was good. I brought my dental history with me. When I went back for the cleaning I got a really bad vibe from the woman who cleaned my teeth. I kept feeling like she was exasperated with me. She kept sighing during the whole cleaning. I felt like she was passing judgment on me the whole time; it was strange. She seemed irritated for the most part. Otherwise the rest of the office staff was great. It was easy to make appointments and the billing was easy. Everybody was really nice with the exception of that one hygienist.

Description of Work
I saw Dr. Clifton for dentistry.

Category dentists

Member, Thank you for the feedback. It is always important for us to hear ways that we can improve our patient care. We look forward to seeing you in a few month! Dr. Clifton

Dentistry - General
    Dentistry - Cosmetic
    Dentistry - TMJ
    Dentistry - Pediatrics
    Dentistry - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
    Dentistry - Root Canals/Endodontics

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Clifton, Dr. Thomas S.

How is Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. overall rated?

Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. is currently rated 4.9 overall out of 5.

What days are Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. open?

Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. is open:

Friday: Closed

What payment options does Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. provide

Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. accepts the following forms of payment: Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Does Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

No, Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. does not offer eco-friendly accreditations.

Does Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. offer a senior discount?

No, Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. does not offer a senior discount.

Does Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. offer emergency services?

Yes, Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. offers emergency services.

What services does Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. offer?

Clifton, Dr. Thomas S. offers the following services: Preventative, diagnostic, restorative, periodontal, surgical, prosthetic, cosmetic, pediatric & endodontic dentistry.