Tailors On Blake

Founded 1982 • With Angi since September 2001

5706 W 36th St

Minneapolis, MN 55416

Only trust the best for your next tailoring job. Open since 1982, our 14 experienced tailors have satisfied numerous customers with jobs ranging from embroidery to fittings. Bring yours in today!...

12/19/2018

Howard K.

I opted not to have them do the work. The tear was 7 inches long. They usually charge $50 per inch. They were willing to do the work for $250 instead of $350. Since the suit was 9 years old ad the fit was not great, I decided the $250 would be better spent on a new, better fitting suit.

Description of Work
Needed reweaving for a torn suit

05/11/2018

Tom V.

Needed two low and upper pocket liners replaced because they ripped. The pockets from the manufacturer were of poor quality.. Sharon at Tailors on Blake changed them to a more durable and stronger material. I left the parka with them and returned approximately 2 weeks later as promised and the work was done. (very well).

Description of Work
Replace 3 pockets on a winter parka

12/13/2017

Chris D.

I feel the jeans were shortened a bit too much.

Description of Work
Shorten designer jeans

12/27/2016

Jeff H.

The results were better than I expected.

Description of Work
I had 3 suits and 4 pairs of pants resized after losing significant weight.

Ryan C.

The service was done as quickly as possible but I definitely spent a lot more here than I have ever spent on tailor services for jeans. I didn't particularly like how the service turned out but I think it may have been the best it could have turned out given the nature of the request. The service was friendly and very professional and may try again for other items in the future.

Description of Work
I had requested a rush hem on a pair of jeans that would also need tapering.

Gayle V.

I have used them for a number of years. Always happy with work

Description of Work
Hemmed several pairs of pants

Missy S.

They did an excellent job on my outdoor pillows. They had them done on time.

Description of Work
Monogram services.

06/02/2014

Paul and Joy A.

The inside looks like new now! They did an excellent job. Really good workmanship. The job took about 10 days to complete which I thought was a reasonable amount of time.

Description of Work
I had a much worn and much loved leather bomber jacket that was in excellent condition except the lining was completely worn out and a snap was broken.

02/01/2014

Michael N.

but the work was well-done and on-time,

Description of Work
A little more expensive than I planned

01/19/2014

Adrienne K.

Bridesmaid dress, took longer than they estimated, was not ready on committed dates, quality of work questionable. When I commented on these things the owner was apathetic.

Description of Work
I used Tailors On Blake

Category alterations

Unfortunately, I don't recall this dress of 5 months ago however, I'm sorry we didn't meet the expectations. I looked into our records and the dress was promised 9 days after it was brought in and was actually finished 2 days early. It may be a situation in which we had to make some extra adjustments after the initial work was done and this is more common when working on bridesmaid dresses. We try hard to have the conversation in the initial fitting about the pricing and 'how far' we want to go in altering the dress when it is a dress that will probably only be worn once for 4-5 hours. I see that Adrienne spent $156.00 plus tax. Again, I'm sorry that we can't make it right. We do everything we can to stand behind our work.

10/07/2013

Patrick P.

They could not exactly replace the zipper style. But one the coat will give more seasons of use!

Description of Work
Replace the zippers in two quality coats

09/30/2013

maren C.

very professional and polite. Dress looked awesome and fit perfectly.

Description of Work
Altered a mother of the bride dress

05/20/2013

Tim I.

They embroidered a name on a Christmas stocking. The company that embroidered our other daughter's stocking a couple years ago had gone out of business, but Tailors on Blake was able to pretty closely match the font and size. The ladies working in the store were very friendly and helpful. The turnaround was pretty quick (even though I didn't need it to be) and the price seemed reasonable. I was also really impressed by all of the merchandise they had available in the store. Lots of things that would make great gifts - bags, robes, baby clothes, towels, and much more that could be embroidered. We will definitely use them for future alterations and embroidery.

Description of Work
Emboridery

03/18/2013

tanya K.

Went wonderfully! On time, fits, as promised. All good.

Description of Work
Had a skirt taken in, leather pants hemmed and a few other like things.

02/25/2013

Becky L.

When I picked up the coat, it looked great. A couple pairs of pants needed additional alterations. I tried them on at the store and the adjustments were made while I waited. They look great!

Description of Work
I had a wool coat and several pairs of pants that needed tailoring. The coat required the back to be taken in. The pants required lots of adjustments. The waist needed to be dropped, the seat taken in and the side seams taken in. The hem needed to be shortened in several pair.

11/12/2012

Nancy G.

The results were beautiful and perfect for the height of the bed.

Description of Work
They altered a bedspread by taking about 4 inches off of one side, but left the ruffle and edge seams intact. You really had to look hard to even see where the alteration seam was, it was such a great job.

10/31/2012

Katie S.

What a disappointment - my first experience at a tailor. I got a blazer taken in for $44 and a button down shirt taken in for $24 ? next time I?ll just go buy new for those prices. When I tried the items on they still seemed baggy and roomy - I literally wondered if they had actually done any altering ? quality of work was not worth the price. What a bummer to be out $74 and not find the work flattering :(

Description of Work
I got a blazer taken in for $44 and a button down shirt taken in for $24

Category alterations

Yes, we would agree that some things are just not worth altering. When a client comes in, we pin the garment to give some sort of idea of what the finished alteration will look like AND we give a price quote. At this time is is perfectly OK with us to pass on having the work done. 99% of our clients are thrilled with the end results of 'taking' things in.

09/20/2012

Anne Y.

Fantastic! I cannot say enough about the price and quality of the work done by Tailors on Blake. I had a formal dress that was badly damaged during an alteration at another tailor -- the quality of the sewing was terrible and the beadwork had been damaged and was literally falling off the dress. Tailors on Blake -- for much less than the original "alteration" - did a beautiful job making the seams and zipper look like they had never been altered and did a lovely (and I am sure incredibly time intensive) job repairing the beadwork. I could not have been more thrilled.

Description of Work
Repair of botched tailoring job by another tailor, including repair of stitching, zipper and beads.

01/12/2012

CLARICE O.

The zipper was fixed without having to replace the whole.

Description of Work
Fixed a zipper in a winter jacket.

12/30/2011

Mary T.

My experience was great. I am a very vertically challenged person. Everything that I get is usually huge on me. I went and tried my stuff on today. I didn’t try everything on but the dress is perfect. The woman was very nice. I had a really good experience there. I was worried about the timeline because we are leaving for Las Vegas and I had to have the stuff ready. She told me that I would not be having any problem and that she would get it done by Friday and it was done on time and I am very happy. I got everything. It was a little pricey but I had a lot of stuff done.

Description of Work
I used the services of Tailors on Blake. I am getting married. They altered my wedding dress and they altered probably like eight or nine things for me.

07/20/2011

ANNE M.

I bought a vintage dress and realized it had a 2" tear under the arm (not on a seam). Brought it in to the shop. They said they could repair it, but since the hole was so large and the fabric was old, they would have to take the dress in a bit and it might be a visible repair. But since it was under the arm I decided to go for it anyway. When I picked it up a week later I was thrilled to barely be able to tell where the repair was (really I had to turn the dress inside out to see what they had done). And it was just $8! Fantastic.

Description of Work
Repaired a tear in my vintage dress.

06/02/2011

RACHEL O.

It was painless. They quickly identified that the sleeves were indeed too long. She pinned the sleeves and showed me three different options for finishing, including the price of each. The communication was excellent and the jacket was ready on time. They even pinned the extra sleeve material to the label of the jacket.

Description of Work
Shortened the sleeves on a fall Northface jacket.

05/23/2011

Lucy H.

Staff was wonderful to work with. Very professional. They were able to complete the alterations on a short timetable to be in time for prom. And best of all, the alterations were beautifully done. Not a simple task given the complexity of the dress! But gorgeous results. It was like having a custom made dress for her prom. Have recommended them to others and will use them again.

Description of Work
My daughter had her prom dress tailored to fit in the bodice and shortened and hemmed by Tailors on Blake.

04/21/2011

Randy E.

they are friendly and knowledgeable. The results were excellent.

Description of Work
altered a suit

11/12/2010

GLEN S.

The jacket fits better than ever and the zipper works. It took a week and was ready as promised.

Description of Work
I needed a replacement zipper in a leather jacket. She pointed out that it probably just needed a new pull and she was right. Also I had her shorten the sleeves. The jacket didn't cost me much to begin with but it was an attractive style and fit me well so it was definitely worth my money to get it fixed.

Alterations/Sewing/Decorating
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover
    Satisfaction

tailoring,tailor,embroidery,embroidering,alterations,altering,fitters,weight loss altering,weight gain altering,clothes altering,clothing alterations,wedding dress altering,bridal altering,bridal alterations,dress fitting,fitting,sewing,seamstress,tux fitting,gift embroidery,gifts,hemming,buttons,zipper repair,coat relining,relining,jacket relining,relining

ask for details