Quality Coaches

Founded 1972 • With Angi since March 2003

20 W 38th St

Minneapolis, MN 55409

We have been a one owner business since 1972. We have 7 employees, most have been here over 10 years. We service all regular cars and we are willing to do older cars and Bristish sports cars. We have loaner cars, they are older but reliable. We...

09/10/2019

Leigh S.

I so wanted to give them a rave review. But in good conscience I can’t. Why I wanted to – Mark, the owner, has done an admirable thing, create a thriving small business catering to classic car owners. He followed his passion and has been doing his thing now for 30 years. By all accounts he has a loyal and passionate customer base. And from what I saw he treats his workers well and employs good talent. I’m embarrassed to say I own 7 classic cars, so was excited to bring my 61 sunbeam alpine in for some brake work, with plans to bring in the rest. Up front I should say that delays and cost overruns are more common when working on the oldies, and I’m used to them. The estimate Mark gave me was $600-800. While on vacation about 4 weeks after dropping the car off – 4 weeks without any communication whatsoever - I got a call out of the blue from Mark asking for an ASAP payment of $1500 due to more serious issues they’d found. He said he didn’t think the total would be much more than that, so I paid and they carried on. $1500 still seemed reasonable enough for brake repairs. No communication until yesterday, almost 2 months into the work, when Mark called me saying they’d finished the original brake work and that he’d started in on some unrequested electrical work. Turned out the total for the initial work was $3200, 5 times the original estimate! And with no communication in between about that. Whether I needed it or not, starting in on unrequested work is just plain dishonest and a classic way of running up a bill since it put me in the position of being the bad guy and saying what the heck, you gotta stop! It would be like if a lawyer you hired to set up a company for you then started drafting your will without asking because he thought you needed one. Plus after the initial 5x overrun, I couldn’t trust the price he quoted me for the original work. I patronize mechanics who know how to communicate and are up front about costs. In my experience, this place isn’t one of them. Maybe I was just unlucky – some reviewers seem to think otherwise and 30 years in business is a testament to doing things right. As far as I can tell, the work that was done is good – it just cost a barrel of gold. If Mark were providing a premium service at a premium price and was up front about that I wouldn’t complain. But $3200 for brake work, even on a car like mine, is a lot. Plus the lack of communication about how much it would really be. In the end, undertaking new work I didn’t request without my ok sealed the deal – for me that’s the mark of a dishonest mechanic. There are other places in town just as good at fixing the oldies tho with much more honest communication and more reasonable prices.

Description of Work
Brake repair

02/18/2014

Troy M.

Incompetant and bad service. They performed a brake job for me, meaning the brakes, new rotors and calipers. The cost was $1,100 for the four brakes, not a competitive price, however I received a glowing recommendation from a friend who has an MG exclusively serviced there. While driving home from the shop with the new brakes, the rear driver side brake seizes up begins to smoke. Stopped and the rotor was glowing red. I took it back and told them to repair their bad work. They stated a caliper had failed and would replace it at no charge. As if the alternative was they were going to charge me, yeah right. I told them I wanted a new rotor as well, as that kind of heat can warp a rotor and cause the brake pad to wear more quickly. I know, I have replaced many brakes myself. They refused stating the rotor was fine, end of discussion, unless I wanted to pay for another one. I capitulated and kept the damaged rotor, although I should not have. 18 months and 8,000 miles later, that same brake pad was worn to nothing and I needed to replace it and the rotor again. The other three brakes were fine with little wear. Of course, I took it to a different shop and notified Quality Coaches. They said the warranty had expired on the parts and they refused to acknowledge their mistake and simply took no responsibility for their poor service. I have never returned. Update: Received a phone call from the General Manager the day following my review. He stated that the mechanic that performed my work is no longer with the shop and he is the new manager. He apologized for the poor work that was performed by the staff at that time. He was gracious and earnest in his manner and tone. He appears to run a more considerate shop and strives for good service. I will give them a chance to bid on my next car repair. I appreciated the follow up phone call.

Description of Work
Received an expensive and poorly performed brake job on a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta.

09/12/2013

Michelle K.

Great! These guys are so nice and easy to work with. They even DROVE to Plymouth to get me and my car when the battery went out. Above and beyond!!

Description of Work
New battery installed.

04/24/2013

Heather D.

We have been having our cars to be serviced by Quality Coaches for 15 years. I started taking my cars there when I was a single woman because I knew that they were honest and never take advantage of the fact that I know nothing about cars. This was the first time in my life that I hadn't been taken by a car repair mechanic, seriously (family members would check any recommendations prior to finding Quality). They even had a female mechanic at the time, which was something I had never seen before! I always had old cars and not alot of money, so needed a mechanic I could completely trust. When I got married, my husband is a good mechanic himself and was very impressed with Quality, especially Steve. He gets Steve's advice when doing something small himself, and always trusts his advice on the bigger things he cannot do. Mark, the owner, runs an excellent shop that I know he is proud of. And though it seems like they only repair British sports car, they actually repair anything-all makes and models. They have worked on my old Buick, BMW, Volvo, Saab and now Chrysler. They just love British sports cars. They can be trusted 100% to be honest and do a great job!

Description of Work
Had minivan checked that we were considering buying. Based on Steve's check, we did buy the car.

11/04/2012

Mark D.

We live in this area...and, used to bring our VW's, Volvo, Fords over to Mark and his crew. A few years back we had a strange 'fix' that turned out to not to be a fix and we simply brought the cars elsewhere since. However, back in April we had an electrical issue with VW. We spent $1,100 and to this date the alleged problem is not fixed. We spent money on parts and services that were not needed. Shortly thereafter my brother brought his car in for an opinion...and, this had to do with insurance. This was a suspension issue. They 'jobbed' him on that as well. In all cases, Val was pleasant...but, we no longer trust this group. Whenever I drive past, which is daily, I want to yell out the window to unsuspecting customers. But, that would be silly. I hope this makes others avoid this business. 1/3/2014 Update: After posting original, QC owner called me at my home. This was unexpected and yet welcomed. We had a fairly long and somewhat 'normal' discussion. Having stated that, in the discussion I commented on my frustration of hearing (in that call) the QC owner's lack of knowledge and/or recollection of the facts surrounding these events. At one point the conversation got a bit 'testy' when the QC owner commented about my mention of my brother's experience. I reminded the QC owner that my brother had lived in my home while many of these events had occurred. I assured the owner that my brother was fully aware of the comments posted. And, I reminded the QC owner that my brother owns an established business--in this area and is very aware of what is posted here on AL. I advised the QC owner that all of this family are in business and that we too have clients and that yet, we never forget that we too are consumers. That may have sounded like a 'lecture' but I stated this comment should be considered an observation: We are all consumers and we should all expect fairness and truth in our business dealings. I advised that I am a bit tired of business people assuming the consumer is a different 'class' of the population. The QC owner was respectful of those comments and I do think that speaks in positive light to his personality and intentions. The QC owner did ask if there was anyway that he could earn our trust back. At that time I advised that was unlikely given the events surrounding the VW (described in the original e-mail). Since that first call I have had few minor issues with one of our cars...and, have found a repair shop that is about the same distance as QC...and, I have no reason to go back to QC. We have trust in our 'new shop'. But, given the tone of that follow-up discussion and, had we not found another repair shop...I would have given QC another chance. Why am I updating this today? Because I came here to search for a good auto dealer...as we need to get a car for our youngest (he's just about 16)...and, I noticed that QC had responded to my first writing. This not a federal case--it never was...but, wanted to give credit where it may due. But, also wanted the record to show we have not returned.

Description of Work
Electrical (VW) suspension (Mercedes)

Category auto repair

Member, Thanks for your Angie's List review. We greatly appreciate your business and feedback. Mark also appreciates your willingness to discuss these concerns further via your phone conversation with him. Thank you. - Jes, General Manager, Quality Coaches

06/07/2012

Marilyn K.

Most recently, they did an inspection on A vehicle I bought.They found a small leak and told me upfront how much it would cost. They advised it was a small drip and that it didn't need addressing right away. I’ve been using them for a few years. They provide honest advice and really work with integrity.

Description of Work
I use them for maintenance.

09/12/2011

Richard S.

They charged a very reasonable price and did it quickly.

Description of Work
They removed old license plates whose bolts were severely rusted, and installed new plates. Not a tough job, but one I couldn't do with the tools I have at home.

04/07/2011

Matt A.

Always polite, reliable, reasonable. I've had 3 vehicles that they've worked on and have been using their services for about 3 years.

Description of Work
They were good enough to swap out snow tires for me at the last minute before heading on a trip. These are the same tires (and wheels) that they helped select and install last fall (on a used car that they inspected for me before my purchase from a dealer).

11/03/2010

DAVID P.

Went really excellent. Steve (master mechanic and actually the best mechanic I've ever known (known a lot)) spent hours working on the car. He found out the problem (it only happened shifting to D) was due to a mis-clipped wiring harness from when my supercharger was installed. Basically a needle in haystack find and this is the consistent level of work I get from Quality Coaches (I have put my last 3 cars through their garages and have always been *very* satisfied). *Very* much worth the drive. Staff is superb across the board. Mark (owner) is awesome. Steve will speak to you in detail on what is wrong with your car and even suggest not fixing it if he feels it is not a good value or necessary. Great integrity and honesty @ Quality Coaches. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Front dashboard completely blew out fuse on shifting into D (Drive).

09/28/2010

Ian W.

As always, QC was great to deal with. They did the work quickly and communicated well with us when they had to do more work than expected.

Description of Work
We had Quality Coaches replace our rear brakes and swap bar.

Affordable Auto Service

At Affordable Auto, we pride ourselves on repairing and maintaining your vehicle right the first time. With over 25 years of experience servicing vehicles, we work on every car like it is our own! No matter what vehicle repair you need, our auto technicians are ready to get you back on the road. We handle all auto repairs to your foreign, domestic, or hybrid vehicle no matter how major or minor. Award winning. Locally owned & operated.

Offers by Affordable Auto Service on Angi
    Am-Pm Automotive Repair

For over 25 years we have been servicing vehicles in the White Bear Lake area and surrounding communities. Started by Greg Martz, we're still a family owned business focusing on you as our customer. As an AC Delco tech center, you can be 100% confident that only the highest quality auto parts will be used on your automobile. While many of our competitors cut prices by cutting quality, we guarantee that all of the replacement parts that we use meet the O.E.M. specifications (original equipment specifications). We do it all, from minor repairs to complete overhauls! We distinguish ourselves from any competition by our exceptional auto repair and customer service!

Auto Service
    Auto Tires
    Office Equipment Repair

Automotive repair, all makes and models, brakes, tune ups, suspension, exhaust, scheduled maintenance, tires, electrical issues, batteries,oil changes while you wait. We have loaner cars, available.

towing, but we have a towing service -we do not rebuild transmission for regular cars, but we do rebuild british transmission.