CARLOS AUTO SERVICE, INC.

Founded 1958 • With Angi since March 2005

3960 Howard Ave

Kensington, MD 20895

Serving the greater Kensington area for nearly 60 years, we offer a full range of repair services to all vehicle makes & models.

08/26/2017

Scott H.

Description of Work
It was an oil change. They checked everything.

08/21/2017

Virginia R.

The price is not unreasonable. Without investigating at length, I couldn't really compare to somewhere else.

Description of Work
It was a lot of work that I had done.

07/06/2017

Margaret U.

They fixed car properly for a great price.

Description of Work
Had car worked on and a part fixed.

05/24/2017

Martin Z.

They are great. I have been using them for more than 30 years.

Description of Work
They do maintenance on my car.

05/01/2017

Jan T.

03/21/2017

Steven N.

I've been going to Carlos for well over 20 years. These guys are just the best. Honest and very fair pricing wise. For instance, I hit a pothole and blew a tire. Tire Rack charges $286 for the tire; same tire at Carlos was $240. Everything they do they do right the first time. Can't say enough about them except take your car there and don't worry about it.

Description of Work
Lots of things over 20 years; struts/shocks, new tires, tune-ups, brakes, timing belts, water pump, oil changes, you name it and they probably have done for me except engine/trannie rebuild because by that time I have sold my cars. I have taken 5 cars there. Also, I have recommended them to many friends and they all rave about the work that was done.

08/06/2015

Michael S.

Great attitude and very competent service. Completed work when promised at a reasonable price (less than what was quoted by our local Honda dealer). I am a return customer to Carlos' and have always found them to provide an excellent and competent service and attitude.

Description of Work
Search for and discovered the cause of our Honda Odyssey's air conditioning failure (bad relay). Recharged refrigerant and added dye to help find source of leak.

06/17/2015

Nancy C.

Safety check-up, oil change, replaced filters, replaced rear brake cylinders and bled brake system, replaced rear strut assemblies with Monroe quick struts; 4-wheel alignment; replaced electronic load detector. (I've used Carlos for 25 years and trust the shop completely.)

Description of Work
Serviced my 2003 Honda Civic.

12/31/2014

Catherine F.

They are a local and long standing business. I have been using the company for about 10 years. They are conveniently located and they will even give you a ride home is you need. Their pricing is reasonable. The staff is very friendly and I have had no negative experience with them. I do not usually have to wait long to get my car in for a service.

Description of Work
I take the car in every 4 months for an oil change.

12/09/2014

sarah G.

I have been going to him for about 2 years. He is very honest and is easy to deal with. He does efficient work. He doesn’t not over charge either. He does not do anything to my car that does not need to be done. They do have a waiting room, but I can also drop my car off at their location and they have area in the door where I can drop my keys off.

Description of Work
I went to them the last 6 months for car services.

06/11/2014

Charles W.

It's an excellent company. They have an excellent reputation. They're trustworthy. They do good work. The fee that they charge per hour I feel is reasonable for the area.

Description of Work
I use Carlos for auto service. The last service included break work as well as oil change, checking all the fluids and giving the entire car a checkup.

09/27/2013

Tom L.

Left car appointment for the day, got call on repairs, which I thought would be to just fix the problem. They wanted to spend time to do a thorough diagnostic (which I didnt have a problem with) but to start off with a tune up (even though that was already done earlier, but not by them), charge me for parts and labor (at dealership prices), and then to run the meter (almost same as a dealership labor rate) while they looked for the problem. They had no idea what the range of final cost would be but it would start off being almost $300. For a 12-year old import car with 180,000 miles that just needs to be able to run errands locally, I told them unsucessfully that I didnt need to have all these added on services, just for them to get the problem fixed as I can do maintenance and intermediate work myself, but apparently thats the only way they want to do things. They were fairly busy when I was there so perhaps thats why the manager was dismissive of my reluctance to spend the extra bucks. Most of the work I saw there that they were doing seemed fairly routine maintenance work (brake jobs, changing tires, tuneups) for which they were charging almost as much as at a dealership. On another quote, to replace a burnt out headlight on another car (HID BMW), they wanted $450 which is less than the BMW dealership's $600 who said it takes 2-3 hours labor as the bumper had to come off and the bulb was $200. I then did it myself getting the same exact bulb at Advance Auto for $70 and it took me 20 minutes of wiggling the headlight out (its tight but doeable - as I followed videos of how to do it on Youtube.) I cant imagine that it will take them much longer than I, a first timer, at doing this which probably is routine for them (it was even faster doing it a 2nd time for a friend as I now know what tools to use and how. ) Thats some serious marking up. for a indie shop.

Description of Work
Went to get initial estimate for rough idling problem.

09/12/2013

RALPH B.

Carlos and company have been keeping this car running for the last 5 years. New brakes, general tune-up etc. Highest quality and reliable and work all the time. They are not the cheapest mechanics ,but you can rest assured the work is done properly and at the coast they quote (in advance) to you. It is difficult for new customers to get an appointment, but it is worth the effort in my opinion.

Description of Work
Repaired electrical charging system on a 22 year old Toyota and replaced water pump.

08/29/2013

Charles W.

They are very good and I am very happy with them. I would use them again and I have through the years. I have actually been using them for at least 20 years now. They do good work for a fair price. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
The last time that I used Carlos Auto Service Incorporated was in March for auto services.

08/25/2013

William H.

Service was very well done. Helpful advice on upcoming maintenance/repair decisions was provided.

Description of Work
Brake job, routine maintenance, warning light reprogramming, minor repairs

10/23/2012

Shirley D.

Everything went well as usual. We have been using this shop for nearly 15 years, and they have always provided excellent service.

Description of Work
They performed routine maintenance on my car.

Category auction services

12/29/2011

William H.

Service was outstanding in all respects. Carlos was thorough, prompt, professional. They provided a clear analysis of all options, and reliable cost projections. The car was returned to me in like-new condition.

Description of Work
Major maintenance to refurbish a car that had been stored unused for about three years.

06/18/2011

Mike D.

The quality of his work and his follow up stood out. I spent around $450 on that work. I ended up saving $200. He must have more bays. I have been using them for 7 years.

Description of Work
I use Carlos Auto Service for auto service. The last time I used them was 3 months ago for some brake work.

Category

08/11/2010

RICHARD M.

I spent $150 on that last visit there. They have done some very expensive things for me in the past. Their quality of work is excellent, availability is good and their prices are not cheap. They are no cheaper than a dealer and I think they are honest and don’t tell you to do something you don’t need to do. My impression is that the price is so high to keep the car in top condition. I would use them again. You are paying for quality and you are getting quality and in general I agree with their attitude about seeing something and getting it fixed.

Description of Work
I use Carlos Auto Service for auto service. The last time I used them was 2 months ago for a very thorough check-up and told me what needed to be fixed correctly and how much it would cost.

05/18/2010

Nicole R.

They are nice and professional. I have brought my car in since the initial time in December 2009 for other repairs, including fixing 3 separate oil leaks and a nasty wheel rattle that developed after using my car as a plow during the snowpocaplyse. Cost was a little over $500. More than reasonable considering the dealership wanted more than twice that amount. My car runs great after they worked on it and it has over 110K on it! I will continue to use Carlos Auto Service.

Description of Work
I chose Carlos because they were in walking distance to my house. The dealership told me I needed a new Catalytic Converter on my 2004 Murano to the tune of $2000+. Carlos double checked (gave me a second opinion) and the cat. converter did have to be replaced, but they did it for A LOT less. Professional & quick.

11/11/2009

SUVRO D.

I had an A experience working with Carlos Auto Service. They had god service. They were professional. They gave me an estimate for the work and they stuck to it throughout the job. I would probably use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I have taken my vehicle to Carlos Auto Service for automotive repair in the past.

07/16/2009

RICHARD M.

They are very good but are not cheap. I’m not sure if they are any cheaper than a dealer. I don’t think they do things that don’t need to be done. They’ve been around a long time and I trust them. They are very good mechanics and are certainly quite busy. They seem to do the job right and I’ve never had any problems with what they’ve fixed. If you want a general checkup done, they schedule you a week or two in advance, but if you have a problem with the car, they get you in right away. They respond on time.

Description of Work
I went to Carlos Auto Service to tune up my wife’s Nissan the last time I was there. There was a lot of stuff to be done on it, and they did it well. We have also had them change brake cylinders and brakes, and do quite a lot of things over the years. I wouldn’t go there for an oil change - they are serious mechanics.

08/19/2008

Francyne F.

They provided good service but they are a little pricey. The quality the work is good. They will get you in as soon as they can and they have very good customer service. They will go above and beyond for their customers. You never come away feeling they did services that were not really needed.

Description of Work
I took my car into the shop to have them rotate the tire for me.

10/31/2006

PIERRETTE A.

Very reliable. You don't feel like you are being taken advantage of even if you know have a lot of knowledge about cars and repairs.

Description of Work
Mini van was stalling and they repaired it.

03/05/2005

CLARE L.

VERY SATISFIED. THEY GAVE THE CAR A COMPLETE CHECK, EXPLAINED ALL THE WORK THAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE IMMEDIATELY, WHAT COULD WAIT, AND ADVISING ON HOW LONG THE CAR COULD LAST WITH AND OR WITHOUT THE REPAIRS. WORK DONE WELL.

Description of Work
AUTO REPAIRS. BRAKE JOB, REPLACE AXEL, OIL CHANGE, FLUID CHECK, SAFETY CHECK, REPLACE WATER PUMPS, BELTS, REPAIR SEALS.