128 Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electric

Founded 1992 • With Angi since July 2001

For over 30 years, 128 Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric has provided the highest quality, efficiency and reliability to customers. Celebrating thousands of five-star reviews online and an A+ Rating on BBB for years, the company has become the North Shore’s most trusted and consistent plumber, heating and air conditioning, and electrical service company. The company takes pride in the title as a Diamond Elite Contractor with Mitsubishi Electric and being selected into the National Grid VPI Program. Finally, a company that picks up the phone every time with manufacturer-trained technicians and a commitment to providing customers with an easy, effortless customer service experience. You're guaranteed to be left with the service and price you were quoted with customized options for what's best for your home in the long-term. 128 Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric specializes in Installation, Service, and Repair for Boilers, Furnaces, Air Conditioners and HVAC Systems, Tankless Water Heaters, Ductless Mini-Splits and Plumbing. Worried about the cost of your next project? We have options to help you get your repairs on the way! Unfortunately, emergencies don’t wait until you have all of your financial ducts in a row....

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
24/7 Service Offered24/7 Service Offered
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

A Service Provider's profile image

+32 more images

3.9

4.4

plumbers (82)HVAC Companies (50)water heaters (9)electrician (6)drain cleaning (4)drain pipe installation (1)gas leak repair (3)fireplace services (1)

08/30/2022

Angelo T.

Outrageously expensive. Replaced a Garbage disposal, kitchen faucet which was supplied and a shower valve replacement. $4725.00 If you calculate their labor rates they are over $500.00 an hour. Unfortunately we had them replace the furnace which is a $12,000 job which we confirmed later. Their price: $20,000. Plus they used a Lochinvar Unit which we now understand has had some issues. Navien, Bosch, Viessman or Burnham would have been a better option. Proceed with caution and get multiple quotes. We are hoping the work was done properly and the equipment that was installed is top quality.

Description of Work
Faucet replacement, Garbage Disposal, furnace Replacement

Work Completed On 08/24/2022

08/12/2022

Sara D.

The people who came to install my AC were extremely friendly and took the time to make sure I fully understood the unit and all of its components. They also showed up on time.

Description of Work
AC Install

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 08/12/2022

[Member Name Removed], thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with 128! Congratulations on your new installation! We hope you love your new system!

03/16/2022

Kira F.

Friendly service provider explain things on terms I would understand and a thorough job and would call them for future projects. Arrived on time and would call in advance.

Description of Work
Electrical

Category electrician

Work Completed On 03/14/2022

02/04/2022

Kira F.

It was fantastic, professional and competent. service provider was able t explain everything. They offered us for service plan and conditioning pressor . I would highly recommend them. to everyone.

Description of Work
They replace hot water heater/annual service plan

Work Completed On 12/20/2021

09/30/2021

Dawn E.

They did a great job and were very accommodating. After initial hesitations with nickel and diming us when we asked for some special things, we found that the price they provided was about the same as what others would charge. They ended up going above and beyond and we would definitely recommend them. We will be using them again.

Description of Work
They put in a mini split system.

Work Completed On 09/30/2019

06/18/2021

Jason B.

Unprofessional and inexperienced. They abandoned us in the middle of a job and ignored us & our insurance agent for a month after jackhammering a hole in the floor of our house. Made all kinds of promises, got in over their heads, and then bailed. Absolute disaster to deal with.

Description of Work
Pipe rapair & replacement

Work Completed On 06/18/2021

03/13/2021

Linda C.

The company sent a tech (Sean) out same day to evaluate the needed work, give me an estimate, and set up an appointment for the work to be done.. Sean was very prompt, pleasant, professional, and efficient. Got the job done quickly and to my satisfaction.

Description of Work
New electrical wiring from furnace to thermostat

Category electrician

Work Completed On 03/12/2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review!

03/03/2021

Michelle M.

We hired 128 to help us update our plumbing in 2019. When we needed HVAC services for our cooling and heating system we were quick to hire 128 again. Most recently we had them out for our annual heating tune up and they provided an option to install a Reme Halo air purifier. I opted to have them install one because it kills germs and viruses in the air (like the common cold and coronavirus) and it also gets rid of smells in the home from cooking and my stinky dog! I love that they provide all home services so I don’t have to search around when I need someone! Would recommend to anyone!

Description of Work
Plumbing, cooling, heating

Work Completed On 02/01/2021

[Member Name Removed], thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We’re so glad to hear about your experience and the option to have that new whole-home air purification system too!! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need us in the future!

11/19/2020

Brad S.

Terrific. Excellent communication, responded quickly to post installation tweeks. 128 Plumbing and Heating provided one of 3 estimates. They were tied at the upper end. However, they worked closely with us to look at our system options, explaining everything. I'd asked why they recommended a smaller furnace than the others had recommended which were the same capacity of the existing unit. The representative went over the process to arrive at his conclusion. For the cost change we were able to add some features we liked that now fit into our budget. The AC unit they speced out was more efficient than what we had where the other estimates recommended a less costly and less efficient unit for about the same cost. I will note one if the vendors sat in his truck and scribbled out his estimate in broad terms with little detail. I had expected more from the size of the company he represented. 128 arrived earlier than their 3 week scheduled installation date. They completed the work in 2 days, corrected some items not on the agreement, but were necessary or an improvement As with any job there were a couple of small hiccups. But they were very responsive and when finishing the last bit put tarps down on the floor as to not track dirt into our living area. They left the basement area cleaner than they found it. Did I mention as a former general contractor I was a difficult customer?

Description of Work
New furnace, AC system and hot water tank

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 11/19/2020

10/16/2020

Kate D.

Charlie and his team did a fantastic job from start to finish. Our first call had been to Rotor Rooter, not realizing that it was more than just a clog. Although they were very professional, their quote was literally double for the same job. When we got such a high number back from them, I immediately started calling around to try and get a frame of reference of what the work typically costs. 128 plumbing got back to me immediately to schedule an inspection, while every other company I called either didn't get back to me at all or responded after I had already had 128 out for their quote and hired them. They were on time, communicative, professional, and I felt very comfortable giving them my business. I would never have hired any company before hearing from other, even if I had to wait, if I had not been totally convinced that they would complete the job professionally. They followed through, and even though I hate having to write checks, it was money very well spent. I will use them in the future and recommend them highly.

Description of Work
sewer pipe excavated/repaired & pipe lined

Category drain pipe

Work Completed On 10/16/2020

06/08/2020

Maryann H.

I am sorry ..this is very confusing. Not telling you what the letter mean. Not a good rating scale. They were great. Five is tops, I hope. Against very confusing, I can.t not believe this scale. Not directions,

Description of Work
Garbage disposal

Category electrician, plumbing

Work Completed On 06/08/2020

05/14/2019

Clare P.

Just two weeks ago, Charlie and Brian came out to my house to do a reclining of my main water pipe from basement to street. Over the recent years, the pipes had been getting clogged and backing up in our basement and making a mess. After Charlie came out and put a snake and camera down the water main, he explained how old and corroded the pipes were which is no surprise since they are over 100 years old. Charlie recommended a procedure that would reline the entire pipe using a special process that puts a think resin lining inside the pipe thereby completely reinforcing the pipe and sealing it so the inside is like new and is much less likely to get clogged. It’s almost like having a new sewer main water pipe. Charlie, Brian, Levi, Amin, Brent, and Dean worked all day to get this done expertly and carefully. They did not have to do any digging outside the house—all they did was do dig around the pipe in my basement to replace some of the parts of the pipe in basement and then they smoothed it all over with cement. It is so nice to work with such knowledgeable and experienced professionals who are also incredibly nice and thoughtful and take the extra time to explain everything so feel completely confident in how the job was completed. Thanks to all of the guys at 128!

Description of Work
Water main pipe diagnostic, repair and relining

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 05/03/2019

02/18/2019

Shawn M.

They did a good job, happy with the service.

Description of Work
Water Heater

Work Completed On 08/08/2019

[Member Name Removed], thank you so much for taking the time to leave us the note!

02/13/2019

Richard L.

It went very well. Plumber came on time, was very professional! Now I have water pressure and no leaks. Hopefully it will be like this for many years to come!

Description of Work
Bathroom shower needed new faucet.

Work Completed On 02/13/2019

01/04/2019

Anne B.

TOTAL RIP OFF....I paid $49 for a consultation to see why the shower was dripping. He said it was calcium build up and recommended a $3,000 filtration system, which i agreed to do. He said he would clean the shower head in the meantime. No price was ever discussed for cleaning the shower head in advance of it being done and if it had been I would have said no to the service because after he cleaned the shower head and he then proceeded to give me a $517 dollar invoice!!!! I could have done it myself. I thought it was courtesy for the consultation fee i paid plus i signed up for $300 water test to figure out exactly what $2,000 filtration system i needed (plus an additional cost for labor) so i didn't think there would be a charge for something so minor but if there was, i expected it to be minimal. i canceled any further work and will not be using them for future projects

Description of Work
Water dripping slowly from shower head

Work Completed On 01/03/2019

09/25/2018

Hongxing L.

I chatted with them 8am in the morning regarding my furnace's issue, and she said somebody will call me back. After 5 hours nobody called back. The lucky thing is I did wait, I called somebody else at 9am, and they came out to fix the problem around 11am.

Description of Work
no call back

Work Completed On 09/25/2018

08/13/2018

Thomas M.

On time, competent, professional. A little pricey.

Description of Work
General Plumbing repairs

Work Completed On 08/01/2018

04/07/2018

Brian W.

From beginning to end, the best experience we have ever had with a plumber. We were quoted the exact cost of the job. Everyone was very friendly (admin staff, plumber, etc.) and kept us up to date on status of plumber getting to the house on the day (he was running 15 minutes late, and we were promptly called and told so). Plumber wore shoe covers so as not to track in the house. He kept me up to date on progress and answered all my questions on the job and about the water heater.

Description of Work
Adding a filter cartridge to our tankless water heater to rescale our water, which is on the border of hard. Also installed a remote control to schedule when the water heater recirculates hit water.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 03/30/2018

03/27/2018

Erik W.

Representative came to see job and said that my new garbage disposal (already purchased and in the box) was too big and could not be installed and was informed that they would need to buy another garbage disposal. I asked for them to take a closer look as I had already taken measurements and performed the initial placement and was pretty sure that it could fit. The representative then called me back and said that this indeed could fit and then gave a ~$1200 estimate to install this garbage disposal that was already purchased/provided. I asked if this was going to take more than 4 hours and why so expensive as this job did not need any electrical work. The representative did not tell me how long it would take but instead told me that they charge for the job not by the hour. I pushed back on this initial estimate but was told by this representative that he was just the middleman and did not set the prices. I declined and paid the $40 some charge to get them to show up to my house. I will not probably not use this company again.

Description of Work
Garbage disposal install

Work Completed On 03/27/2018

03/26/2018

Chris H.

I was a repeat customer of 128 Plumbing and Heating. Through the MassSave program, we had our entire furnace replaced (oil to gas conversion) as well as a new Central A/C unit and tankless Navien hot water heater. We originally called around (I was a much less experienced homeowner back then) as we wanted to explore just central A/C as we were expecting our first baby. The salesman Kevin came out, he gave us many options, he was very nice and professional. This is where 128 shines, in the sales process. They absolutely tell you they can do anything you want to hear, and sell you accordingly. They are extremely professional and always show up on time, no question. This is where their good part of their grade lies. We went with them for a massive $20k project getting the new water heater, A/C unit, and gas furnace. They were awesome helping with the rebate process for Mass Save. Everything went great there and I have no issues with this part. Now on to the bad. Fast forward a couple years and I am in the process of renovating my basement. I wanted to get some guys out to look at our duct work and plumbing in our basement as we need to move some pipes and ducts if possible for ceiling drywall. We had the owner come out for the plumbing and HVAC, he was again very professional, extremely nice. No qualms there. However a week later, once I got my quote for the work, it was almost $8,000. I thought, "jeez, this seems really high to move a few pipes around, move some duct work, and clean a drain line". They didnt even include copper to PEX conversion in this quote, which again seemed like a high price for not a huge job. While the owner was there for the HVAC, he mentioned that they have an in-house electrician. I did not realize this, and figured hey, maybe if I go with one company they can come out and do the job all at once and save me from bidding out multiple jobs. I got an appointment with the electrician, this is where it gets comical. He came out, I gave him my checklist (meanwhile, I had already gotten a quote from another trusted electrician that has worked on my house before). Everything seemed great, again, professional, punctual, courteous (even offered to help me take out my trash as it was trash day, lol). No issues with the professionalism. Fast forward another week and a half (took super long to get these quotes). The quote came back in at.... ..... ..... over NINETEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS (read: $19,100). I actually politely told them that this estimate was not even in the right stratosphere. I'm still trying to pry my jaw back up from the floor. Between moving some plumbing, ductwork, and electrical (rewiring, light switches, recessed lighting...no small job but nothing astronomical) we were talking over $26K. I've had friends redo their entire basement for under $15K with things like this included. My current electrician, who is not cheap by any means, but does great work, quoted the EXACT SAME project at $4800. Not sure where that remaining 15 grand went for 128, but that is just absurd to me. Now, I am looking to get my water heater, furnace, and A/C serviced. I figured I would call 128 because they were the original installers, but I am now very skeptical of their pricing after what I was just given. Needless to say, they were about double the price of other competitors I found right here on Angies list for basic furnace and A/C maintenance. 128 definitely lost me as a customer after that. TL;DR: 128 is very nice, extremely professional, punctual and courteous. They have good salespeople. That is where the fun stops. The pricing is outrageous, especially if you have any type of renovation project. The services they provide, while the work may be quality, you will absolutely pay much more than many other reputable companies. I found quite a few on this site with an A rating that gave much more competitive pricing on pretty much everything.

Description of Work
Multiple Jobs

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 03/26/2018

02/01/2018

ALEXANDRA G.

I called at 7 am and explained the issue. Glenn sent Norm that morning. Norm listened carefully to the history of my problems with the furnace. Checked the motor and explained why it needed replacement. Then he ordered one and left to pick it up. I was very impressed by his knowledge and work ethic. The motor cost $556. I paid an additional $92 for the visit.

Description of Work
My hot air furnace made scraping sounds during the night. There was no heat. I had recently signed up for a service agreement with 128 Plumbing, because the company had saved me earlier in the winter, after another company failed to realize the furnace was an energy-efficient model, which required a different type of repair than an ordinary furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 01/31/2018

12/19/2017

Darnell C.

Tech came out, replaced this with a brand new section, and also added a piece of wood to help level the radiator. Work was performed via a home warranty service, so only fee paid was the deductible. Tech was on time, very professional and was generally pleasant towards my tenant and I during the procedure. Don't recall the exact time required, but I don't believe it was more than 2 hrs.

Description of Work
There was a leaking 90 degree fitting on a steam heat radiator. Was making a mess all over the floor.

Work Completed On 09/02/2014

Review for 128 Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electric - 78 Foundry St, Wakefield, MA - 36683100