Mount Auburn Counseling Center

Founded 1979 • With Angi since August 2009

156-158 Mount Auburn Street

Cambridge, MA 02138

To better understand my practice and to read detailed reviews from actual clients, please visit my web site www.mountauburncc.com. Because my practice is located in Harvard Square, Cambridge, many of my clients are local university affiliated faculty, students, and staff. As an adjunct to therapy, I encourage clients to utilize a wide range of community resources such as health and fitness programs, AA,and career networking groups. In addition to my psychotherapy and counseling practice at Mount Auburn Counseling Center, I am a Red Cross Disaster Mental Health Specialist. I served on the First Response Team that aided victims' families of 9/11 and I assisted in the Hurricane Katrina Relief effort, living in a shelter near New Orleans counseling survivors. Additionally, I co-authored, with my colleague and son, an award winning children's book, "Sugar Was My Best Food: Diabetes and Me" which focuses on a child's perspective of diabetes.”...

03/10/2014

Christina M.

I started seeing Kyle when I was going through a really rough time. During this period I would feel very overwhelmed at times, Kyle helped me focus and prioritize and get my life back on track. She has also helped me gain a sense of confidence which has allowed me to start a new career and begin dating again. I would highly recommend Kyle to anyone seeking a therapist.

Description of Work
My first session with Kyle was in 2011while I was in the process of getting a divorce, and I've been seeing her on an ongoing basis since.

08/30/2013

MARK D.

I have been seeing Kyle as a Therapist off and on for about 25 years (wow, hard to believe!)... I first saw her when I graduated college and then here and there as things have come up in life that needed tending to. At one point I was living in Plymouth but I would still drive to Cambridge to have a visit or two with her. I have always found Kyle to be very insightful and sincerely very caring, always leaving me with the feeling that I am glad she is my therapist and have made that connection with her. I have even gone for long gaps of not seeing her, sometimes as long as 10 years and the amazing thing is, when we've gotten together again, its like I saw her yesterday and I am always amazed at the things that she remembers, even the small things. I had an instance a few years ago where I had to get some help for a relative and a call to Kyle was the first one I made and she gave me the names of people to get in touch with to get my relative the help they needed. I can't say enough good things about her.

Description of Work
I saw Kyle as my therapist.

08/17/2013

Leah S.

I have been going to Mount Auburn Counseling for awhile. Kyle has really helped me make much better choices in friendships and relationships. I've figured out better ways to deal with a problematic childhood. She supported me when I left a job I'd been in since college, went to grad school, and started a new career. Kyle's levity, intelligence, and humor make her excellent at what she does. She listens very closely, and remembers details amazingly well. I feel like she's on my side and supporting me, and that she cares about how I'm doing. I would highly recommend her to anyone who wants a friendly, down-to-earth (and very funny) person to help with both major and minor life issues.

Description of Work
Meeting with Kyle Carney for talk therapy.

05/23/2013

Trisha T.

Kyle provides a comfortable and safe environment for open discussions and directly coaches/engages her patients towards strategies that are effective and lasting. I have seen mental health professionals in the past and, in comparison, have found Kyle's style of holding her patients directly accountable in achieving their personal goals to be more effective and lasting. She provides creative solutions to complex/lifelong issues and closely monitors her patient's mental/emotional/physical response. Meeting with her is like meeting with a close friend who has the training/life experience to provide unique insight and assistance. I strongly recommend her to anyone seeking sound, realistic, and efficient mental health care.

Description of Work
I have been seeing Kyle regularly since December 2012 for a variety of issues and she has been simply amazing.

03/25/2013

Joy E.

One thing I especially appreciate about Kyle is how she manages her fees. She is clear in setting expectations but willing to work with whatever methods work for her client, within reason. She gives ample notice of any changes. For example, when I began seeing Kyle I was covered by Blue Cross. At some point Kyle decided that it was no longer viable for her to accept Blue Cross. She gave about two months' notice of this change. Kyle has been so great that I chose to keep seeing her and pay out of pocket. She's well worth it.

Description of Work
What's really remarkable about Kyle Carney is that she really cares. I've been seeing her for about a year, with about a month's time passing between appointments; she remembers everything from one month to the next, and it's clear that she's been thinking about me in between. Like everyone else I know, I juggle many challenges -- career angst, the search for personal fulfillment; relationship issues (spouse, parent/siblings, grown children), financial worries -- and it's hard to avoid being overwhelmed and discouraged. Kyle brings the clarity that's needed to put each challenge into perspective and then figure out a way to gather the inner resources to deal with it. I can't think of any issue I wouldn't be comfortable bringing up with Kyle, or confident in her ability to shine a light on it. She may not be a fairy godmother, but she certainly is the intelligent, insightful, and empathetic friend you may be looking for, if you're looking for a therapist.

06/15/2012

Joy E.

I first saw Kyle Carney during a time of crisis. She provided support as I dealt with matters, gave practical advice, and helped me understand the parties involved and the factors that contributed to the situation. The crisis resolved in a satisfactory way, and I continue to meet with Kyle to discuss other challenges. She is always warm, wise, and open.

Description of Work
I first saw Kyle Carney during a time of crisis in a relationship, and continued to see her for other concerns. She is easy to talk to and very wise and common-sense.

06/18/2010

Frances G.

I have benefited greatly from Kyle's counseling. I have been able to overcome severe anxiety regarding how to handle multiple family problems. Over the years, I have improved my health and general well-being with her guidance. We began with weekly visits in 2001. As my personal life became less stressful, I changed my visits to twice a month or once a month, knowing that if I needed to see her more frequently, she would fit me in as her schedule permitted. Kyle is always eager to know what happened after I took some action to solve a family matter. I could leave messages for her from anywhere I happened to be and she would call me back. I have gotten a lot of closure and resolution over the years by talking and listening in Kyle's office.

Description of Work
Kyle Carney has been a tremendous source of wisdom and comfort as she has counseled me for over nine years on multiple matters chiefly regarding my family of origin. She has provided me with much practical advice regarding social services available to assist me with managing long-distance problems with elders, siblings and children who needed both financial and psychological help. Kyle is great also because she has given me advice regarding my job, my goals, my marriage and friendships. She is a fountain of experience and calm. She has helped me separate the essential questions--what can I fix, what can I not fix. I recommend her highly. She is also very flexible for scheduling weekly or occasional visits, helpful with handling insurance questions, willing to meet family members and reply to phone messages as soon as she can. My nephew saw her separately and benefited greatly during his college years. He knows he can call for an appointment any time and Kyle will remember him! She's a wonderful resource, a treasure.

03/02/2010

Daniel F.

Kyle has been a superb facilitator.

Description of Work
Provide on-going, weekly therapy session

08/03/2009

SCARLETT B.

For over 20 years I have seen psychiatrists and psychologists with changing philosophies with regard to treatment and cognitive therapy, and by far Kyle Carney has been the most successful for me. She listens and responds with real and practical advice that is truly a way to achieve cognitive therapy and learn new responses to problems. She is wealthy with that balance of empathy and the ability to bring the truth to light and achieve the understanding of self that we all seek. I can't think of how to write the words to recommend her as highly as I value her.

Description of Work
Personal, grief and marriage therapy.

Counseling - General
    Mental Health - Psychology
    Counseling - Marriage/Relationship
    Counseling - Grief
    Counseling - Family

“For thirty years as a Harvard educated psychotherapist, I have drawn on my training and experience to build a multifaceted therapy practice at Mount Auburn Counseling Center in Cambridge, Ma. I specialize in the treatment of anxiety and depression in adolescents, adults, and couples. Also, I work with clients helping them address relationship and family issues, parenting concerns,and major life transitions.

Educational Testing, Medication.