Import & Domestic Auto Service

Founded 1969 • With Angi since February 2006

1015 Davis St

Evanston, IL 60201

With more than 30 years' experience providing top-notch service for cars, SUVs, vans, and light trucks, Import & Domestic Auto Service knows how to get your car running like new. Additional email: tcigir@sbcglobal.net...

10/18/2017

Rudy M.

I brought my vehicle in just before the shop closed on a Saturday afternoon with a pretty serious anti-freeze leak. The put a temp fix on it so I could use it but the fix didn't work after I drove away about 8 miles. So I had to wait until Monday for them to be open and repair the trouble properly. Once I dropped my vehicle off Monday morning, they promptly and properly repaired my vehicle at no additional cost to the temp fix! And it was ready that same day just a bit after noon! I really appreciated that they didn't try to gouge me for an extra charge for the permanent repair as some other repair service places are in the practice of doing. I recommend Import & Domestic Service as an honest repair shop.

Description of Work
General mechanic work.

07/08/2017

BREN M.

Very reliable person who works on our cars.

Description of Work
We use them all the time. I used them for an oil change.

01/16/2015

BREN M.

Their work is accurate, thorough, and very fairly priced. My husband and I have been bringing them our cars for several years and highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Tom & Mike did routine maintenance on my 2003 Volvo V70 which they have been servicing since 2010.

12/18/2014

Mariah D.

Description of Work
Lot of work on older car. But finally had to get rid of car.

02/08/2014

CAROL H.

Owner and staff went above and beyond.|

Description of Work
New battery and some other repairs on one of the coldest days this winter. They responded immediately when called, did the work requested and had the car ready by the end of the day .

01/01/2014

Rebecca W.

Description of Work
First visit was check up/ maintenance since our previous mechanic retired. They found lots to be fixed on our 2000 Civic, but it all seemed legit. Car started overheating a week later, so we took it back. More repairs. Tonight the car started smoking and smelling bad again. Will need to find somewhere else to take care of our Civic. I miss our old mechanic!

08/18/2013

MATTHEW L.

Don/t remember last service visit there, but I used to work nearby, and while they were a little pricey, I was always satisfied with the job they did. They always tell you what they are going to do, and they tell if something comes up that was unexpected, and they get your permission before they do anything that wasn't discussed. They were always willing to explain and or show what the problem was. Cut me a couple deals on labour costs on occasion when I had to big or unexpected work. Overall, great shop.

Description of Work
Don't remember what last job was.

06/16/2012

Mariah D.

Made appointment on Wednesday. Took car in for a tuneup on Friday. Mike told me I didn't need a tuneup. But my muffler was bad, so he checked the muffler and looked underneath at the whole underside, and showed me all the rust, explaining that there were holes and rust,, and so I needed a replacement. The parts are expensive of course -- that's not his fault -- but the labor was fast and reasonable. He's a responsible and honest man, as is his son who works with him.

Description of Work
Replaced entire exhaust system in a 12 year-old Honda in one day.

01/05/2012

Ronald P.

They were excellent. They are very honest.

Description of Work
They did some air conditioning work on my Saab.

12/28/2011

Peter P.

They are a little far from me, and they did a fantastic job.

Description of Work
They did detail work on my Corolla.

Category auto detailing,auto repair

09/25/2011

William H.

07/14/2011

MATTHEW L.

It went well. I had to have a catalytic converter replaced and they were going to try to do as little work as possible that was needed to pass my emissions test. As they started taking pieces off the car, most of the parts were original. My car was almost ten years old and the other parts including the muffler was coming off. So, they basically had to replace everything. They called me anytime that the work changed to tell me that they thought that they could save a part but it was coming off. I worked nearby and so, they let me go over to look at the car before any additional work was done. They showed me all the parts that needed to be replaced. They told me everything that they took off and the reason as to why they could not save it. I think that they may not have charged me for a little bit of the labor as it ended up being more intensive than what I thought that it would be. Everything worked and I passed my emission test. My overall experience with them was good. Their price seemed reasonable.

Description of Work
I have used the services of Import And Domestic Auto Service in March 2011 to get some work done on my exhaust system. They replaced all the parts from the catalytic converter to all the way back including the catalytic converter in my car.

Category muffler repair,auto repair

01/25/2011

ELIZABETH P.

We have used Mike's for several years for all our cars and are extremely happy. Great mechanic!

Description of Work
Oil change, fix air conditioner

Category

10/16/2010

MARK K.

Excellent shop. Very fair and honest. Excellent prices. Much cheaper for routine maintenance than going to the dealer.

Description of Work
Routine maintenance.

07/02/2010

MATTHEW L.

I drive a 2001 outback with 143K miles on it. I took the car in to have the front end looked at. The car was pulling very badly to the left, and had a disturbing wobble/shudder at highway speeds. They identified the inner tie-rods ends as being worn/loose They showed me how much play was present due to the worn tie-rods, and it was obvious why the car was behaving the way it was. The tires were also very badly worn, and worn very unevenly at that. I already knew the brakes were shot, but one of my calipers was frozen as well. The work was done in one day. The car felt great afterwards. Both mechanical and customer service seemed good. I've used this shop in the past. They do a good job of explaining to you what's wrong with the car, if you are interested in such things, and while they will certainly make suggestions for repairs, they won't hard-sell you anything. I am pretty sure you can find less expensive mechanics, but this shop is friendly and knowledgeable. They are also one block from my office, so it's hard to beat. I can drop it off in the morning and pick it up at night. They also cut me a little break on the caliper installation charges because they were already doing so much front end work. Overall, they seem to be a pretty legit shop.

Description of Work
New front brake pads, rotors and Calipers. New front tires. New front inner tie-rod ends. Alignment. Visual inspection.

08/18/2008

HERBERT S.

They are very good! I was able to get in for the initial estimate one day, and the repair was done the next day. The service was good! I dealt with the owner and he was very upfront about what was going on. There weren't any surprises. He even fixed some other minor things and pointed out some other things.

Description of Work
I had some brake work done on my Volkswagen.

07/29/2008

MARK K.

A lot cheaper than going to the Toyota dealer for routine maintenance or repairs. They are always thorough, and they look my cars over very well every time I take them in, but they never take advantage of me or my wife. They will take me the same day without an appointment.

Description of Work
Toyota 35,000 mile inspection, synthetic oil and filter, wiper blades, air filter, and misc.

07/29/2008

MARK K.

Shop is very honest. I wanted more expensive Michelin tires but they tried to sell me less-expensive ones to save me money. I'm a regular customer, and one time they sold me a replacement tire at cost. Other times they have repaired tires for me for free or at very little cost.

Description of Work
4 new tires, miscellaneous tire repairs.

Category car tires

07/21/2007

SCOTT C.

He called back 3-4 business days later and said the tires had arrived. After getting over the shock, I asked how much. He reported $60 more than what I found them on-line for. He told me it was sales tax. Then he said he didn't know, he'd have to find out. I called back a couple days later and he said it would cost another $85 for alignment. I am not comfortable having people do service without my authorization, which I don't give without some idea of the cost. I wanted to buy tires on-line and save some money, unless a dealer can get a better deal. He told me that if I didn't take the tires he'd have to pay for them personally. I told him I'd take them for the same cost I can get them delivered from another tire store. The boss came on the phone to tell me to take my business somewhere else, which I will do forever. BTW, I found 3 other shops within a mile that will mount tires I have delivered to them, for less money.

Description of Work
Had previous good experience with $1200 of work on other car (see report on electrical/tires), now I feel I have to report the flip side. Called to see how much cost for new tires on 2nd car. Mike was busy and said he'd call me back the next day or day after, which was no problem.

Category car tires

07/13/2007

SCOTT C.

Open minded, follows logical process, not anxious to spend my money. Had intermittent problem with ABS/BAS/Stability control dash lights coming on. Notoriously difficult to diagnose source. Started with obvious things - needed new tires and alignment. Mike told me where he was ordering tires from on line (transparent price) and balanced/mounted them the day they arrived. A lug bolt was seized, so he had to work for hours on removing one of the wheels (small extra cost). Had me drive car a few days so he could pinpoint remaining computer error codes. I researched blogs for others with similar issues and made suggestion to him for repair. He checked with the mfr hotline, took out dash to double check electronics, and did the suggested repair. What could have been a $1,500 part replacement turned into a $25 part replacement, and we were both happy. No dash lights for 3+ weeks now.

Description of Work
Purchase/ balance/ mount 4 new tires, alignment, fix intermittent sensor problem in brake system.

10/03/2006

KELLY D.

I've used them before and they seem trustworthy and do a good job. I'll continue using them in the future.

Description of Work
They gave an oil change and fixed my brakes.

02/12/2006

MARK K.

The most honest auto repair shop I have ever found. Tom and Angelo, the owners, make every effort to save me money. Sometimes they try to convince me to do something in a less expensive way than I asked them to! They do great work and they use good quality parts. Some other shops use sub-standard parts that fail again soon. (Note: The entrance to the shop is on the alley north of Davis St., in the block east of the Evanston post office.)

Description of Work
Throttle body cleaning $38 plus tax. This shop saves me hundreds of dollars every year on my two cars. I've used them for 8 years for all of my repairs and all of my routine maintenance required under the warranty (Ford Taurus and Toyota Camry).

MD Auto Solutions

Located at 716 Grand Ave. Ingleside, IL 60041. We started our business servicing only Acura’s and Honda’s. Through the years our customers requested we work on their other vehicles they owned as well. Now we provide service for Domestics as well as Foreign cars. We saw how customers were being treated at the local dealerships. Customers were paying for work that wasn’t actually being done to the car and prices were unfair to the customer as well. He wanted to change all that to benefit the customer. Since Christoph's Automotive, and now known as MD Auto Solutions has been in business, they have won several awards for great service and satisfied customers, most recently they were recognized as one of the best shops in Chicagoland, by Chicago Magazine, and has also received recognition by Consumer's Checkbook. Our Top 3 Priorities: Quality We employ only ASE Certified technicians. Our technicians have an average of 20 years of experience in auto repair. Value We shop for different parts & help you choose the right application for you. We'll help prioritize your needs, & work with your extended warranty. Trust We've built our auto repair business on referrals. We build a lasting relationship with our clients, and we will do everything possible to earn your trust.

Reliable Auto Repair Center Inc

Family owned business for 20+ years at the same location. Serving the North Side since 1991.

Eliot's Complete Auto Repair Shop

Repairing cars since 1986. State of the art repair facility with the latest diagnostic equipment and the latest alingnment equipment. YOU get 2 guarantees not seen anywhere else.. #1) If you are not completely 100% satisfied, come back within 30 days and I'll give you all your money back. #2) If you are not completely 100% satisfied, come back within 17 days and I'll buy your car. But there are more reasons to use my shop: 3. You may use one of my FREE loaner cars while your car is serviced. 4. 95% of the time your car will be finished the day you drop it off. 5. YOU will be called before any repairs are done to your car, or the repairs are FREE. 6. 24/7 towing by calling Jorge at 773-494-0169 7. I'm 1 1/2 block walk to the CTA Addison El stop. 8. If you can find another shop in the area with more testimonials than I have, I'll give you $500.00! 9. 100% of the parts I use meet or exceed your manufacturer's specifications. 10. If you find another shop with guarantees equal or better than mine I'll give you $500.00!

Auto Service
    Auto Tires
    Auto Mufflers
    Auto Detailing
    Visa

Auto Services - Tune-Ups, Oil & Fluid Changes, Scheduled Maintenance, Computer Diagnostics, Brakes, Transmission, AC, Mufflers, Exhaust, Electrical & Front End Work.