Joel E Berman CPA PA

Founded 1985 • With Angi since July 2006

801 West Bay Drive Suite #435

Largo, FL 33770

Joel E. Berman, CPA, serves the tax, accounting, and QuickBooks needs of small businesses and individuals in Pinellas and Western Hillsborough County, Tampa Bay, Florida. His mission is to reduce his clients’ tax liabilities as well as help their businesses grow. Joel has extensive tax preparation, planning, and resolution experience, including dealing directly with the IRS, and saving clients money in tax assessments. Over the years, he has developed unique strategies to help his clients organize their accounting records, improve business cash flow, and minimize corporate and individual tax liabilities. Joel specializes in a few niches: small business start-ups, businesses and individuals with complex IRS tax needs or problems, corporate dissolutions, and small business clients using QuickBooks. Some of the most common projects he works on include streamlining accounting systems for clients, saving clients money through tax planning, and resolving Cancellation of Debt cases resulting from foreclosure and short-sale transactions. He has a proven knowledge of IRS tax law and has been able to exclude over $2.5 million of income in Cancellation of Debt cases. Prior to starting his own firm, Joel spent several years in public accounting and private industry, always focused on small business. For several years he headed the accounting department of a multi-million dollar company in St. Petersburg, Florida. Joel has been a Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor since 2006 and is a member of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA). Over Joel’s expansive career, he has gained a strong work ethic. His dedication to excellence in accounting and customer service has repeatedly earned him the elite Super Service Award on Angie’s List as a top rated CPA. A native of California, Joel is a graduate of U.C.L.A. He moved to Florida in 1997. When he is not working, he enjoys swimming, traveling, Americana, old movies, classic TV shows, and his dogs....

10/30/2020

Dennis D.

Joel is very knowledgeable, conscientious, and patient with a professional who doesn't understand accounting or taxes, but he does get behind himself sometimes and gets extensions from the IRS.

Description of Work
Accounting for small business and personal income taxes.

03/25/2019

terry M.

Excellent. Personable, inteligent, explains in terms that are understandable.

Description of Work
Financial/ Tax advice, Taxes

06/29/2018

Thomas F.

Joel was prepared for our meeting in a way that was very impressive. He knows his stuff, and he'd studied up on our needs and was ready with solutions and recommendations. He is going to save my wife and I a good deal of money with wise and ethical planning. We're really pleased.

Description of Work
Tax prep and tax planning

05/08/2018

Herbert M.

Super work and service. Personal taxes, three small buisnesses and non-profit filings.

Description of Work
Tax accounting

02/12/2018

shanna H.

The tax people I had been using just didn't do my taxes last year like they were supposed to, so I hired Joel Berman. He really helped me get the mess straightened out.

Description of Work
I used him for tax preparation.

11/07/2017

Kathy G.

Joel is fantastic! He knows what he is doing. He is polite, professional, communicative, and responds quickly. I never feel like I am bothering him and there is no dumb question. Joel stayed on top of my taxes, even though I am not the best client in getting taxes done, he was very kind and steadfast. My tax situation got too complicated for me and it involved a death in my family, so working with me was not an easy task. In the end, he found me a $11,000 return over the 3 years that I was not expecting - I was expecting a hefty tax bill. Even though I now live out of Florida, I am going to keep working with Joel.

Description of Work
I needed 2016 personal taxes done, which required a review and refile of 2014 and 2015.

07/19/2017

Megan P.

Excellent. Joel is very knowledgeable.

Description of Work
Handling my incorporation and tax documents.

05/16/2017

Tiffany C.

Joel was thorough and kept me informed of his progress. He answered any questions I had and explained the rational behind any decisions he made. Price was fair also.

Description of Work
Joel completed and e-filed my 2016 taxes.

05/08/2017

Janice G.

When the situation was explained to Joel he immediately had a plan and successfully got her taxes filed & current. He was very helpful, kind & professional. He will be doing mom's taxes from now on!

Description of Work
Unbeknownst to the family, our mother was unable to complete & submit her taxes & had gotten behind after she experienced a serious illness.

04/12/2017

William A.

Great experience. A little expensive, but the effort involved was not small. I'm very impressed by his professionalism and skill.

Description of Work
Taxes and financial advise.

04/12/2017

Andrew S.

Joel is an exceptional professional. He provided clear communication as to what my options are based on my professional goals, and helped me understand what the best course of action is, without making it seem like there was any pressure. He completed all of the necessary paperwork on my behalf without any hiccups or delay. I will continue to utilize Joel's expertise in the future as my CPA. I cannot recommend Joel enough to others looking for simple, clear advice in a complicated and fast-past dollars and cents world.

Description of Work
Small business information and incorporation (S-corp)

04/06/2017

Andrew S.

Perfect! Joel is extremely knowledgable and answered all of my questions. Joel also provided small business incorporation services, including completing and submitting paperwork on my behalf. I will certainly continue to use Joel in the future.

Description of Work
Small Business Incorporation advice, guidance, setup, etc.

03/05/2017

anna A.

Joel Berman is fair and knowledgeable and accurate He provides excellent service in a timely fashion His billing is extremely reasonable and he is available for personal assistance. I highly recommend him and know you will be pleased.

Description of Work
We have been in Florida for 5 years We chose Joel Berman because of Angies list He has been our accountant for this time

02/19/2017

Thomas S.

He did a professional and fast response to this year's Federal Tax filing. Would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone in need of a knowledgeable accountant.

Description of Work
Joel has done my taxes for the past few years and help us with questions regarding tax impacts of the retirement plan from my previous employer.

02/19/2017

Thomas S.

Great, would not hesitate to recommend.

Description of Work
Federal IncomeTax

02/09/2017

Katheryn G.

Joel was very professional and knowledgeable. We ended up not needing his services but would recommend him for any tax needs.

Description of Work
Tax Returns

02/08/2017

Andrew H.

It went very well. He did some research on my situation and had some excellent insight and recommendations.

Description of Work
Initial consultation because I am a new resident of Florida.

02/05/2017

Jeffrey S.

Last year, Joel provided in-depth information on filing federal taxes after my siblings and I inherited proceeds from her living trust and sale of her house. This year Joel prepared my federal and followed the plan that we had discussed previously. He also explained the capital gain/loss calculation in detail so that my siblings would have a template to follow.

Description of Work
Filed my federal taxes after the sale of my deceased parents house in 2016.

02/04/2017

Maggie M.

Excellent! I don't have time to waste as I am a very busy professional. I need straight answers, professional accurate financial advice and an honest discussion regarding tax laws and accounting practices. You can count on Joel to provide all of this consistently and professionally. He will go above and beyond to make sure you are happy with his professional services and quality of product. I trust his knowledge and appreciate his willingness to answer all my questions without hesitation or being condescending. I just need it done right!! This is your guy, hands down without questions!! You will never be disappointed with Joel's comprehensive knowledge of tax laws explained to you patiently and completely.

Description of Work
Corporate income tax return

02/02/2017

Joanne H.

I have been using Joel for 3 years and have nothing but great things to say about his service. Joel takes care of all of our Corp. filings, payroll, tax returns, etc. Joel cares about his work quality and is very easy to work with.

Description of Work
Corp. filings, payroll, tax returns, etc.

01/31/2017

Dewey W.

We just finished my 2016 corporate tax returns. He made some recommendations to me that allowed me to save several thousand dollars in additional taxes. He went into great detail explaining the procedures so I had a better understanding of the IRS deductions allowed for me. I had previously recommended Mr. Berman to a couple of my friends. One was a business owner, and the other was not. They were both very pleased with his services. I hope to use Mr. Berman’s firm for many years to come!

Description of Work
Mr. Berman has been doing my personal and corporate taxes for several years and I could not be happier. He is timely, fair and totally thorough allowing me to save money. Compared to prior accountants I have used, he finds every possible deduction. At the same time I feel I am dealing with a professional who is at all times very honest and straightforward with me.

01/31/2017

Kenneth A.

We had a good CPA up north, but have struggled to find someone in Florida who was sharp in all the areas we needed for our businesses ( we have a corporation and a non-profit). Joel has done our taxes for past 5 years now and we are very happy we found him! He saved us money and corrected several mistakes from our previous CPA. Bottom line: He is sharp and easy to work with.

Description of Work
Tax Returns for multiple businesses and household.

01/29/2017

Denver M.

Mr. Berman immediately found a discrepancy with how our S Corp business was registered with the IRS. Based on his recommendations the IRS allowed us to back track and properly register without any penalty. He also has worked hard to understand our business and recommended on how to properly account for our financial flow. The interest he took in truly working hard to understand our company, how our finances flowed, and then his professional dialogue with us to move forward was refreshing. As important, was his reasonable charges for work done.

Description of Work
Mr. Berman has been wonderful to work with. We walked away from our previous CPA for being unreasonable in his charges and questionable in his knowledge and follow through in servicing our small business. We needed a CPA who took professional interest in our business, understanding the intracacies of how our finances flowed to ensure we were appropriately accounting within IRS standards.

01/26/2017

Diane H.

I felt talked down too and it all became much too complicated. But when I found out that this consultation was costing me $100 an hour and my tax preparation was going to be more than double what I have paid in the past I paid him $50 for the half hour and left.. seemed like a lot of money just to meet him to find out if he could do the taxes and what he would charge.

Description of Work
I needed a consultation to see if Mr. Berman could become my accountant

Category accountant

The member called and stated her prior accountants had messed up her taxes, and she was in desperate need of my help. We had a half hour paid consultation, which she agreed to beforehand. To hear the member tell it, I charged her $50.00 just to give her a cost estimate. In fact I did the following: I reviewed her corporate and personal returns for 2015, and her financial statements for 2016. I went over in detail with her the numerous material errors on her tax returns and financial statements. When I recommended the required course of action to correct, and gave her the estimated cost, she became very angry and ended the appointment. She stated that my estimated tax preparation fees "was going to be more than double what I have paid in the past". She fails to mention the following: These were the same firms that created her IRS problem to begin with. As a result she was assessed thousands of dollars in additional taxes and penalties. I was telling her how to avoid such problems in the future. Moreover part of my cost was to correct errors that she and her accountants had already made. I did not think I would generate such hostility by giving an honest assessment of her situation. I thought that was why she called me. Essentially she wanted me to knowingly prepare improper returns at a cut rate price. She even admitted to be in violation of federal and state laws regarding her payroll taxes. I say this to all Angies members considering the use of my firm: I do you no favors by violating IRS laws or my professional code of ethics. I doubt that any reputable firm will be able to help her. I stand by all I stated during our meeting.

06/18/2016

BARBARA R.

My tax issues were extremely complex. The first tax person I went to told me that money that was left to me was not taxable. Three years later, when my mother died I sought a second opinion, Joel Berman, and found that the money was taxable and that there were a number of very complex forms to fill out. Due to the fact that the taxes were overdue I owed tax penalties. Joel contacted the IRS and was able to save me approximately $6500 in penalties which was far beyond his fee. He also handled all of the problems that continually popped up, and all of the forms that I didn't even know existed. I am very grateful to him for handling everything in an efficient manner. Everything is now complete and settled. I also had him file my personal income tax. I didn't want to handle it myself because of investments I had rolled over. His price was very fair. I will continue to use him for any tax consulting I may have in the future.

Description of Work
I have used the provider for ongoing issues getting my taxes and social security in order.