Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates

Founded 2004 • With Angi since May 2009

3000 Conneticut Ave NW North Entrance Ste 338

Washington, DC 20008

Comprehensive Primary Care and Travel Medicine in Washington, DC since 2004. Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates, Inc. (NNPA) opened in April 2004 as the first Nurse Practitioner owned and operated practice in Washington, DC. NNPA is a practice that approaches health care issues with the perspective of the patient in mind. We not only evaluate, diagnose and treat, we promote positive health care habits through education, counseling and by LISTENING to the patient. Besides are Board Certifications for Primary Care, we are also a Certified Yellow Fever Center and hold a CTH/Certificate in Travel Health. Routine care such as physicals, pap smears, men's health as well as urgent care for patients 12 and up. Pre-Travel comprehensive consults including vaccines, prescriptions (malaria, traveler's diarrhea and altitude illness) as well as Post Travel Consultations for travel related disease evaluations. www.NWNursePractitioners.com...

01/31/2016

Mike B.

Erin continues to provide excellent on going care. She has terrific knowledge as well as a network of specialists for referral. She adapts plans to meet the patient's needs. (And Roslyn is a gem of an office manager).

Description of Work
Routine follow-up visit to review pain management and mobility.

Category nurse practitioners

02/12/2015

Jaea H.

While there I mentioned a persistent cough and Erin examined my lungs and ear/nose/throat - an impromptu sick visit. She prescribed some antibiotics and an inhaler and a week later the cough is gone.Erin knows her patient's histories well and is a great diagnostician. She provides thorough, comprehensive care.

Description of Work
I went for a follow up to a physical to have blood work.

Category family doctor

Pascale M.

If you need to have a physical she’ll take an hour instead of five minutes like a doctor would. My experience was awesome because she talks to you about things and you have time to sit and talk about your health. She brings thing to my attention and she takes the time to tell me what I need to be doing to take care of my body. When I have little things I’ll call and leave a message, and she calls back within a few hours with an answer. It’s like having a doctor who is your friend. I have been using her for about six years and I never go to anyone else.

Description of Work
I see Erin Bagshaw at Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates. I was last there for a physical and she took blood, she examined me, and she sent me for an ultrasound because she found a lump in my throat.

Diana H.

Since I already explained the story start to finish, let me add a few other things about other experiences I have had. SAME-DAY APPOINTMENTS: It is my understanding that NNPA leaves a certain amount of time open for immediate needs. In the few cases I have had to urgently see her, I have gotten an appointment on the same day. I did not have to wait in the waiting room for an excessive period of time. While the appointments were not as long as the annual physical, which is appropriate, these appointments were as thorough. Plus, there is nothing like feeling really under the weather and having such a warm and knowledgeable person taking care of you. OFFICE ENVIRONMENT: I gave the office environment a B because the offices are in an older building. It is a quaint clean office with everything that is needed in a doctor's office. NNPA uses the limited space extremely efficiently. I would rather sit with a medical professional that is really engaged with my health in a smaller room with a window air conditioning unit, then meeting with a cold distance doctor in nicely appointment offices. REFILLS: I have called for refills on prescriptions, and this is consistently completed within a business day. Typically, I even receive a call confirming that the prescriptions has been called in. I won't bore you with the details, but in one instance, NNPA needed to call three different pharmacies because of misinformation I had inadvertently given them. Not only was I able to pick up the drugs that day, they phoned me throughout the day with updates of the situation. So, incredibly thorough! REFERRALS: In the years that I have been with NNPA, Erin has referred me to several specialists, including dermatologist, cardiologist and an eye doctor. In all cases, I have found the referred doctors to reflect the professionalism that I experience at NNPA. On the one occasion, I did not click with the referral doctor, Erin connected me to someone else, who is another great medical resource in my health network. PAYMENT/INSURANCE: You do need to be aware that you will need to pay for the service upon departure. You are responsible for submitting it to your health insurance carrier. However, among the bundle of papers you are given as you leave your appointment is a sheet of easy to follow instructions on how to submit the receipt. It is extremely easy, and I am more than happy to do this in exchange for an office that runs so effectively and efficiently. ETHICS: In an era when it feels like it is hard to find ethical people, I am inspired by the ethics of this office. Caution is exhibited when calling to request a prescription refill for my partner. In response to an e-mail I sent requesting a prescription refill, I received a gentle reminder that for privacy reasons e-mail is not the optimal way to communicate prescription information. Yesterday I asked for a prescription refill for a drug that was prescribed to me by another doctor. She said she preferred to have me contact the other doctor, as he/she should be aware of the frequency of use. Even NNPA's policy about patient care: They will not consider you a patient until you have a complete physical is a medical model as far as I am concerned. These are all things that might irritate some people. I, on the other hand, feel that my health and wellness is in safe hands.

Description of Work
I have been a patient of Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates since my 2009 return to Washington, DC. I have never enjoyed going for my annual physical, but I have to say I can actually get a little excited to see the gang at NNPA. Yesterday I had my physical, and I was offered the same wonderful service I have grown to expect from NNPA. First, when you arrive you are greeted with the smiling faces and friendly greetings of the dynamic office duo of Rosalyn and Greg. After signing in, you are welcomed into the examination room by Erin Bagshaw herself. She sits down with you (while you are fully clothed) and asks how you are doing. She is, of course, curious about your health and wellness, but also cares about your personal updates as well. She goes over her meticulous records of you and checks in to see if there have been any changes. The exchange is respectful, warm, caring and professional. I know I am being heard and my concerns are being taken seriously. It is at this point, that she begins the "typical" appointment. She asks if she may weigh you, and here is a big thing for those of us struggling with weight, she asks if you would like to take your shoes off. This is HUGE! (No pun intended.) She also asks if you want to know your weight. Very respectful. (More on this later.) Onto the urine test, and then back in the office to change into the lovely gown. (Unfortunately, there is nothing special about the gown, it is what it is.) However, everything is seamless, with no prolonged waiting for her. It is at this point that she takes your blood pressure, after the anxiety of going to your NP, being weighted, etc. has waned a bit. She draws the blood herself. BTW, I only have one great vein for drawing blood according to all my previous doctors, and she is able to get blood out of the other arm with no pain, minimal bleeding and no bruise. She rocks! The examination is thorough, and respectful. While you are laying on your back you are greeted by a beautiful photo of a pod of dolphins and Erin and I are able to have a casual conversation with her brief interruptions of telling me what is next. After the examination is concluded, she leaves the room so you can change; and moments later she returns. Together, again fully clothed as equals, we go over her recommendations for my health plan. In this case, I need a referral and a prescription. She escorts me back to the waiting room and we exchange pleasantries. I am again greeted by Greg and Rosalyn. The checkout is friendly and quick. I leave with my receipt, my referral and my prescription all bundled together with a paper clip and a chorus of "Have a nice day. Good to see you! 90 minutes later I am back in my car, and that 90 minutes was being served... not sitting in a waiting room. I know that in a couple days I will get a phone call from Erin with the results of my blood work and I will again have the opportunity to talk with her about any follow up concerns. I was amazed that the test results were not mailed to me, left on my voice mail or told to me over the phone by someone I have never met. Start to finish... and beyond, NNPA provides outstanding health and wellness service!

Cookie B.

I have been using Northwest Nurse Practitioners for a couple of years. The office manager is so nice and helpful. Ms. Bagshaw, NP, is very thorough. She really listens to what I have to say. She keeps very good records and follows up with me. I called for the appointment yesterday and was able to be seen today. Although they do not accept insurance, they are so reasonable in their costs and they provide all the paperwork I need to submit it to my insurance. They run on time, while never hurrying. Recently a mammogram came back positive and Ms. Bagshaw had the exactly correct recommendation for me. She has a great network of providers for referrals. She is very up to date on the latest medical information.

Description of Work
Complete physical with blood and urine analysis.

Susan G.

Erin takes her time and explains everything. She is incredibly knowledgeable and she makes it very comfortable to talk about your health and ask questions. I highly recommend her and Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates.

Description of Work
I had an annual exam, blood test, review of health history and pap smear at Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates.

Susan G.

Maxine B.

She is very good and will follow you closely. She is a little conservative, but I appreciate that as an older person. I would recommend her. She is Board Certified and I trust her as I would a doctor. If I need a specialist, she will send me to one.

Description of Work
I was last there for some bloodwork.

Cookie B.

Description of Work
Complete physical with blood and urine analysis.

Diana H.

Women's Services - Obstetrics & Gynecology
    Travel Medicine
    Outpatient Centers - Urgent Care
    MasterCard, American Express, Visa

Nurse practitioners, internal medicine, family & medicine, Travel Medicine, Certified Yellow Fever Center, vaccinations, diagnosis& treatment for urgent or chronic disease, gynecology, routine pap smears, prescription and counseling, sexually transmitted disease testing & tuberculosis testing.