Dupont Counseling

Founded 2007 • With Angi since November 2012

1312 18th St NW Ste 503

Washington, DC 20036

Psychotherapy is a somewhat weighty term for effective, caring and confidential problem-solving. As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, my approach is both holistic & solution-focused. I will help you find new ways to approach the complex stressors in life, whether relational, emotional, or

11/23/2016

Lindsay J.

She was amazing. She listened and gave solid advice and "homework" on things I could work on during the week. On top of her masterful understanding of psychology, Heather used humor, poetry and philosophy to lighten the mood and make deeper connections between my personal experience and the human experience, which is really what we all seek. I personally responded to this style of therapy better than any I had previously encountered because she gave me a language that didn't feel out of place-- that I could use when I was feeling down or overwhelmed. She made me feel so much better in the 6 months I went to her, and then we both agreed that I was good to go back out there on my own. She also made it clear that I could come back at any time. She is very flexible like that. Overall, Heather Williams might not be what you expect at first because she won't just sit there and listen to you drone on about your hardships unchecked. She will interject compassion and resourceful guidance to the point where you are having a conversation with a highly trained, very wise woman who will empower you to change your life, because at the end of the day, you are the only one who can change it. Her office is quiet and in a great location, so I looked forward to going every week. She doesn't have an assistant, but is very responsive and accountable.

Description of Work
I went to see Heather to help with feelings of burnout and depression.

11/22/2016

Elizabeth R.

She has helped me connect dots other therapists hadn't. I didn't always like the process but I can say that my relationship with my parents has improved because of the deeper understanding of our family structure I received through counseling with Heather. She continues to help me navigate tough situations with a wider vision and commentary of social structure, rather than just focusing on my perceptions. In other words, tremendously helpful in gaining an objective insight and learning to make decisions based on those insights.

Description of Work
Heather has been my therapist for about 2 years now.

10/16/2016

Nicole H.

During our sessions, Heather shared techniques with me that helped me get through a stressful time at work. I continued seeing Heather for more than a year because my wife and I were planning our wedding and I was dreading the big day. As someone who is introverted, I didn?t relish the idea of being the center of attention for a long weekend. Also, I felt a lot of anxiety due to my complicated family dynamics. I can?t thank Heather enough for working with me and listening to my concerns during that year. I felt very calm in the weeks leading up to the wedding and on the big day itself. It turned out to be the best day of my life and I owe much of that to the sessions I had with Heather. In October 2015, I relocated to another part of the country and decided to end my sessions with Heather. Today, a year later, I can say that her sessions have had a lasting impact on my life. I feel less anxious and happier today than when I first started therapy. I think finding a therapist is deeply personal. Heather was a wonderful fit for me. I would recommend meeting with her and seeing if she might be able to help you too. If her approach isn?t right for you, keep looking until you find someone who meets your needs.

Description of Work
I saw Heather Williams regularly between August 2014 and October 2015. I reached out to Heather to work on my general anxiety that had recently intensified due to work stress.

10/06/2016

Lindsay J.

From my experience, Heather is expertly suited to handle any discussion, any situation. She is so thoughtful and wise and uses humor and levity to lighten up your perspective. She's like a Yoga guru or your cool aunt who's tried everything and she gives expert advice-- kinda like Patti Smith. Her style of therapy is very different from some psychologists I've been to and was very effective in bringing me out of a mental rut and back to my normal self. And I always left feeling better, because we were able to work through some negative habits and she gave me homework to do. She doesn't just sit there and stare at you, she talks to you, she opens up, and because of that warmth and authenticity, she is very easy to trust and it's easy to respect her judgement. I have recommended her to several close friends because I believe in her ability to calm the mind and open the heart.

Description of Work
I went to Heather because I was over-worked, stressed, depressed and anxious, for various reasons. I had also recently reconnected with my birth mother and needed some help sorting through all those emotions.

Category personal counseling, family counseling, grief counseling, marriage counseling

03/29/2016

Leslie C.

I have seen Heather almost weekly for about two months. I find her to be a good listener, smart and empathetic. She has a clear way of communicating. I feel like each session takes me a step further in the direction I want to go. She seems to understand my needs and gives me a sense that together we are on the right track. I find many of the things she explains to me to be really effective in helping me gain a better understanding of my situation. She also gives me effective tools that help me deal with situations in ways that have achieved positive results. I will continue to seek her guidance as I am seeing results from her therapy that are making me feel better and more optimistic.

Description of Work
I was having difficulties with a personal relationship and also wanted to work on my personal growth. Heather is helping me move in a positive direction with both of these.

05/21/2015

Deborah R.

12/22/2014

Barrie M.

Heather was great! She listened intently to us as we explained our journey to being engaged. In every session we left with tangible techniques to use in order to have clear and honest communication between each other. I would recommend Heather to anyone!

Description of Work
Before my wife and I got married, we wanted to have marriage counseling to discuss our life together and ask about techniques that would make our marriage successful.

12/20/2014

Mark N.

Description of Work
Very professional. Listens well and offers great insight with practical advice on difficult topics.

12/16/2014

kian P.

She is absolutely horrible. She charged me $300 for an emergency marriage therapy session and spent 10 minutes rambling on about how the world is coming to an end because of global warming and disease. Also, when she saw my review, this was her response; think, do you think this person is capable of giving you advice on how to handle difficult situations? "I know you would like revenge on someone, but please consider withdrawing your nasty review. It's deeply offensive to me. I tried my best to give you honest, clear, and highly competent help. Do you really want to ruin my reputation? We've clarified that I did nothing wrong. In fact, you were very pleased with our session, as I recall. I will need to say all of this in response- and more. It is a very unfair review."

Description of Work
I went to her for marriage counseling

Category personal counseling, family counseling, marriage counseling

Marriage break-up is deeply troubling, and it is not uncommon for clients to want to blame someone for their troubles. It is therefore very risky for psychotherapists to enter into relationship with such clients Where there is panic and anger, there is often great confusion. You were very agitated when you contacted me, asking for an initial session. You were apologetic about asking for a same-day session on Sunday, when I do not normally work, and you were eager to pay my price. You agreed immediately to that price. During the session you frequently expressed gratitude for, and agreed with, my feedback. You ended the session thanking me profusely. You stated that you had been to three prior therapists, that my help was much better than theirs, and you asked me to be your individual therapist. You were persistent about this. We agreed that I would get back to you about whether I could work with you individually. Three days after that initial session, you contacted me by email to tell me you were hiring a lawyer to sue me. This was a great surprise after your profuse gratitude and eagerly expressed desire to work with me. Your reason made sense only in terms of your anger and panic. It was based on an untruth. In our email communication, you subsequently apologized and thanked me for clarifying that untruth. I then discovered your review on Angie's List, sent evidently after you had apologized.. It presents a false picture of our session and your stated feelings about our session. In order to protect myself I have terminated any professional relationship with you. I cannot help a client who quickly and inexplicably threatens to sue me just days after begging to work with me. It is too unsafe for me.

07/31/2014

Kurt B.

Heather proved to be a good listener and insightful. She managed to simultaneously pull off being both empathetic and unflinchingly clear about the origins and causes of issues causing friction and distress on both sides of my story. Although I initially had reservations about her not being a clinical psychologist, her understanding of relationships and human nature was accurate and clear. In sum, seeing her was productive and the right thing to do.

Description of Work
Individual counseling related to my own issues/ conflicts in my marriage/relationship

06/22/2014

Karen S.

Category personal counseling

I am puzzled by this review. Since there are no comments, it is impossible for me to know what I did or didn't do to deserve the "F" grade. All I know is that I offered an immediate initial session when you contacted me: much sooner than is typical. In that first session I listened carefully to your story and needs and we scheduled a next session. You subsequently cancelled that session - I do not know why. I welcome your feedback should you wish to give it. Either way: I hope you have found counseling help that is useful for you.

04/18/2014

Stephanie T.

My partner and I went for a first appointment in the hopes of finding a couples counselor. Ms. Williams has a particular approach she uses, which sounded fine, but when I asked a question about its applicability in certain situations, she did not listen to my concerns, just ran right over me with how this is THE way to do things. I tried a couple times to make my point understood, but she was not interested in listening to me (when we walked out, the first thing my partner said was that she had been just mowing me down). And then she said "Don't you want to become closer as a couple?" suggesting that the mere fact that I didn't see its applicability in all circumstances meant I did not want to be closer as a couple. I don't feel that she'd be a good listener.

Description of Work
Couples counseling

Category personal counseling, family counseling, marriage counseling

I'm sorry that our first session was difficult, and I sincerely hope that you find a better fit for couple counseling. We did, indeed, get into a bit of trouble in our communication. When you threw out a brief question I did not immediately pick up on the hurt behind that question, and your angry tone did throw me off. I then encouraged you to express your feelings in order to help me understand your needs - and you did help me understand. For me, as a therapist, it was a useful interaction. Sometimes it's difficult to pick up quickly enough on what the emotional meaning is behind a client's anger - especially in a first session - and I am sorry that that was the case for you. I am not perfect. All the best to the two of you in your search for help.

11/24/2013

M K.

I highly recommend Heather Williams. She has a calm and open attitude. She helped me look at my issues from all angles and I eventually learned to examine those issues in my life - from my family to my work - in more constructive ways.

Description of Work
General anxiety.

Category psychologist

11/03/2013

Adam M.

She is perceptive, thoughtful, and direct. I find the sessions incredibly helpful because I come to better understanding of myself and of the mind-body connection. In between sessions, she often gives with homework assignments to think about so I am able to reflect upon certain questions and come back to her at the next session to follow up. All in all, her style suits me well and I would recommend her to others.

Description of Work
Same-s** marriage counseling and fidelity issues. I have had about 7 visits with her to date.

Category psychologist, personal counseling, marriage counseling

11/03/2013

Robert S.

Heather was extremely helpful on all fronts. We spent the first session outlining some of our issues and challenges and from then on, she was very solutions focused. She taught us how to slow the conversation down, focus on the other spouse's feelings and to really hear each other. We saw results very quickly and her techniques have been valuable tools that have helped tremendously. Heather is warm, positive, very knowledgeable and focused on solutions. We both felt very comfortable with her from the beginning and have enjoyed working with her. I would highly recommend her for individual, couples or family therapy.

Description of Work
My husband and I have a blended family and worked with Heather to improve our communications and co-parenting. We met with her for several months to develop strategies for working through issues more constructively.

10/19/2013

Josef R.

Heather is a wonderful and thoughtful therapist. She was open and kind, a great listener and someone with insight. She not only listened she gave us tools to try out, and she gave good guidance and feedback. We have recommended her to our friends and colleagues. She is a gifted healer with deep experience in multiple approaches.

Description of Work
We were looking for some guidance in how to deepen our marriage and be a more loving and kind couple.

09/16/2013

Laura B.

We have been going to see Heather for many months now. She is an experienced and adroit therapist, skillfully guiding us through issues that have arisen in our relationship. She is non-judgmental, patient, calm, and a good listener. She maintains a comfortable and safe atmosphere, which helps with any nerves one might feel in seeking counseling. She is highly recommended.

Description of Work
Ongoing Couples Counseling

08/05/2013

Jason M.

It went well. It is easy to get an appointment with them and they do a good job.

Description of Work
The last time that we used Dupont Counseling/Heather Williams, LIC SW was last Friday for counseling.

04/25/2013

Lisa B.

I met with Heather on two separate occasions. Once in 2010 for a period of a couple of months and again in 2012-2013 for approximately 8 months. I was going through issues related to miscarriages, marital trouble, work stress, and ultimately divorce. In both instances, Heather provided an open and objective environment for me to be honest with myself about the circumstances in my life. She provided me with some valuable reading material as well as tools I could utilize to help me deal with what was going on. I looked forward to our sessions and usually left each one feeling better able to cope with the stressors in my life.

Description of Work
Heather was prompt and punctual for each appointment. Her office is a room in a townhouse occupied by a number of other tenants in Dupont Circle. Easy location to get to and comfortable environment.

04/23/2013

Christine C.

Ongoing therapy. Overall experience is excellent and helpful.

Description of Work
Ongoing therapy. Interaction with provider is excellent and helpful.

12/05/2012

Erin W.

I started seeing Heather after I'd been struggling with severe agoraphobia (I was unable to leave my apartment) for about 6 months. I'm still not sure how I made it outside and to her office that first day, but I'm so glad I did -- I felt better after our very first meeting. Heather helped me with both my acute anxiety problems as well as underlying issues regarding my family and relationships. I don't like talking about my problems or feelings, but Heather made me feel very comfortable and was patient about drawing me out. I came to look forward to seeing her every week because I always felt such a boost afterwards. I took medication for my anxiety as well, and (with my permission) Heather and my psychiatrist were in touch with each other about my treatment and progress. I felt very well taken care of by my "team!" My therapy sessions stopped when I moved away from DC, but fortunately, my anxiety was well-controlled by that time. I'd recommend Heather to anyone, but especially to people who are skeptical about therapy and/or have never seen a therapist before. Her approach is very much about problem-solving, and she has a great sense of humor. She's a pleasure to talk to, and in my experience, is very effective.

Description of Work
I received counseling for severe anxiety and agoraphobia. I saw Heather from 2010-2012.

Category psychiatrist, psychologist, personal counseling

11/28/2012

Bethany H.

Heather Williams is a highly skilled and licensed social worker. I first began seeing Heather after the birth of my second child, three or more years ago now. On a weekly basis I sought out Heather's support to work through a variety of issues, such as the stresses on working parents (especially in the DC area), finding "me" time, dealing with my own parents and in-laws, navigating work dynamics and office politics, and even improving the strong bond I have with my husband, which was being tested by two small children and trying to juggle two full-time jobs. For the last year and a half, my husband and I started couples counseling with Heather to work through a major challenge in our lives when I lost my job and was unemployed for six months. It was a very stressful time for us and our family. Going to see Heather was like finding an oasis in the desert. With Heather's guidance, my husband and I were able to create a space each week where for one hour, all we did was slow down, listen to ourselves and each other and learn how to better communicate with one another and our children. We will forever be grateful to Heather for all that she taught us about relationships and especially for helping us stay sane and in love in this life that can be quite crazy

Description of Work
Heather is professional, constant and knowledgeable about relationship dynamics- especially concerning family of origin issues, communication between partners, and the challenges working women face. She is also wonderful at facilitating dialogue between people. Both my husband and I strongly recommend her not only as a wonderful counselor, but also as a great person.

Category psychiatrist, psychologist, personal counseling, family counseling, marriage counseling

Thank you, member, for your feedback. Hopefully, others like you will come my way - you've been a delight to work with!
    Counseling - General