DANA MEYER AUTO CARE

Founded 1975 • With Angi since October 2006

660 SAN PABLO AVE

Albany, CA 94706

Dana Meyer Auto Care opened its door in 1975 and has been serving Albany, Berkeley, El Cerrito, Kensington, Richmond, El Sobrante, Hercules, and Oakland car owners ever since. We are a AAA Approved garage and offer a 24 Month / 24,000 Mile Warrantee. We repair several makes of foreign nameplate

01/14/2018

EDITH C.

Always happy with professionalism, cost and work received.

Description of Work
Have been a regular customer for years. From oil changes to service work to repairs. Always good.

Category auto repair, car inspections

12/18/2017

Robert C. J.

In our most recent visit for a 50000 mile service they also fixed a tricky problem with an intermittent heater fan and diagnosed a clutch problem that had been affecting our older, manual transmission Subaru. Most of all, we trust Dana Meyer — honest communication and integrity is why we keep coming back.

Description of Work
We have used Dana Meyer for our Subarus and Toyotas for over 20 years, including after we moved away from Albany. Great diagnostics to find out what is causing those mystery problems and reasonable prices, including their ability to save money alternative parts suppliers.

Category auto repair, radiator service, car inspections

01/30/2017

EDITH C.

They have kept this car in good working shape for more than 10 years.

Description of Work
Various maintenance on old Saturn

09/14/2015

Jesus G.

They did an excellent job. I'm very happy with the service.

Description of Work
They changed out my ripped boot on my steering rack.

01/12/2015

Ann A.

Till point after second service at a cost at this point of 1000. We were pleased with the service. We drive the car home, Holidays were coming and we were going away. Noticed my cars steering kept getting worse, figured it was a new belt breaking in. Over time and after vacation it was worse. We brought car back were told they (overlooked) a hole in the power steering line. Which makes NO sense, since it was fine before and they just replaced things in that area of the car. Now it cost Another 500. And this was 300. Of labor to do what they did the first time, whether they caused the leak or didn't see it, we got Stuck with a 500. Higher bill because of there mess up. At this point the person who ran the shop avoided me totally. Had to pay, needed the car to be drive able, But we were ripped off because of their incompetence and paid it because we needed our car. Will not recommend or return

Description of Work
Initially went in to see if we could replace rudders at cheaper price than dealership. They let us know they didn't need to replace rudders and could do for 500. Great, they then during this procedure found hoses that needed to replace, but were told others were fine, Great want this car going good, so that was 500. Then, well read on....

Category auto repair

I suppose I'm answering to try to get the facts straight. I don't remember avoiding discussing this with you or your husband. I reviewed the file, then I remembered your car. The car was brought in for oil leaks and a brake inspection. We found the brake rotors were OK, which as you said the Dealer wanted to replace. We found a leaking oil cooler seal and very worn fan belts, which we repaired. We found a long list of suggested repairs including a broken fan belt tension piece. Yes this job was $534, but no hoses were replaced, as you stated. We special ordered the belt tension pieces and replaced them two weeks later for $221. A month later you brought in the car with a steering problem. We replaced the power steering pressure hose for $506. Now up to $1261 total in a month and a half and 1200 miles. I have difficulty understanding your rating or your "friends" assertion you were ripped off. Any car with 120,000 miles on it is starting to show wear and in some cases deferred maintenance can lead to needed repairs. I'm sorry that you were unhappy with the final outcome.

02/22/2014

Don T.

The brake caliper froze just after noon on a Friday. Steering pulling to the right, smoke from the right front fender, odor of burning something. I steered for the Dana Meyer shop on San Pablo where they have serviced our now-19-year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past three years since our return to the SF Bay Area. They jumped on the brake thing with no notice, and I was back on the road by the end of the afternoon. Great performance all around. We have been totally satisfied with Dana's service---from regular oil changes to new parts, some major, some minor, as things wear out. Highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Replace frozen brake caliper and brake fluid.

02/21/2014

VINCENT C.

The Mazda has always been taken care of by Dana Meyer. It's worth the drive and the bus ride back to work. They always stand behind the work they do and will go the extra mile to make sure it's what you wanted done.

01/12/2014

RIMA K.

I've used this service for many years, and they have always done a very good job. This time, everything went find, and they even finished even sooner than they expected.

Description of Work
They replaced my passenger side mirror.

11/24/2013

Heather L.

They were very clear on what they needed to do, stuck to the price quoted, were done on time (even though they said it took more work than they thought, due to rust, etc.). The problem was fixed, car ready on time, even cleaned the inside of the car.

Description of Work
Replaced a very complex front axle bearing

11/09/2013

Gail G.

The quality of the work is very good. Their appointment system is really easy. They are quick to notify for any increased need for parts, time or money. They are not the least expensive but you are paying for quality and absolute reliability. We have taken multiple cars to him over the years. They are really good at keeping my husbands decrepit old '88 standard Honda Civic running.

Description of Work
We have to this service provider for 20-25 years.

10/24/2013

Kevin R.

Friendly, seemed knowledgeable, was verbally given an "estimate" on the phone that was significantly less than when I got there. I chose Dana Meyer based on good Yelp reviews, but I still cannot get over the cost. Generally OK/average experience.

Description of Work
60,000 mile regular service/maintenance on 2009 Prius

10/24/2013

KATHY G.

Well. I trust Dana Meyer to only do the work required to keep the car running smoothly. Service is always impecable.

Description of Work
Major tune up.

10/23/2013

GERRY W.

Since they are a smaller company, they give individual service. Everything has been great and I really like their service. Their prices are reasonable. Scheduling is easy and I do not have to wait long to get my car back usually.

Description of Work
They take care of the maintenance on one of my cars. I have been seeing them for years now.

nzinga N.

They provide a great and honest service. Their prices are not the cheapest but they fix it one time and they do it correctly. They give me a time that the car will be done and it always is done on time or earlier.

Description of Work
They did some minor repairs and major tunes up to my car. I have used them for the past year.

Donna M.

What really impressed me about Dana Meyer Auto Care was they very cautious before completely diagnosing the problem. They have a great reputation around the area and does not give you any non sense. I did not have to wait long to get my car back, it was an emergency situation and I was able to get my car back within several days. I have not had any problems with my car since. They also have a convenient location to me.

Description of Work
They replaced the timing belt.

Walter S.

They did a great job and I did not encounter any issues. It took a couple days to complete the work since it was a bigger job. The guy at the front desk was very nice and answered all my questions well. However, the location was not very convenient to me.

Description of Work
They replaced the timing belt on my Passat and a few other repairs.

Julie G.

I really like their service and I have been very pleased. I started using them for a Chevy Saturn back in 1997. They take care of your car like its theirs. They do not try to talk you into services that are not necessary and are very honest. They are careful and are an expert in cars and stay professional. They are able to identify the problems with the car very quickly and give you advice on your car. They are very respectful of women as well, I felt comfortable letting my daughter take her car here. I highly recommend them and their prices are fair. To me, it is like having a mechanic in the family.

Description of Work
I take my car here for routine maintenance and other minor/major jobs. The last time, I had my speedometer checked and my maitenance light was on.

10/21/2013

Judy G.

Nothing went wrong. There was nothing that needed to be fixed after. What I particularly liked is that they didn’t call me to try sell me on other services. Scheduling the appointment went perfectly. The appointment was kept on-time and the vehicle was turned around in the time frame they indicated it would be. Their prices are a little bit higher than others but it was worth the extra to me. I really enjoy working with the techs and find they communicate well. I would recommend their service to others. I was quite happy.

Description of Work
They replace the brakes on all four wheels on my Toyota minivan. I have used their service before.

10/21/2013

David G.

I think they did what they they could in the time they had . They turned the vehicle around to me in the time frame they indicated they would. They were professional and seemed knowledgeable about my vehicle. I would recommend their service to others.

Description of Work
They replaced my EGR valve on my Toyota Tacoma truck. They also performed some preventative maintenance on my truck for me.

10/17/2013

Philip A.

They had been recommended to me initially and we were very happy with them. I like the front office staff; they were always efficient and had good communication. They offer reasonable prices. I also liked Dana. He is very personable. The person I deal with most was Alex. He handles all the customers and paperwork. He was very good about communicating via phone and in person. They are an A+.

Description of Work
The car was basically dying and we realized we needed a new car, Prior to this, they took care of routine maintenance on our Dodge Caravan. We had used their service for about 10 years.

10/14/2013

Marlo M.

Diagnosis of the muffler showed that the old one was worn and needed to be replaced. But I needed the car right away, and getting the parts would take longer than I had. After a quick consultation between Meyer and his chief mechanic, they came up with a solution that solved my problem. They located a used muffler for the same model and were able to give it to me for the price of installation. I was out of their shop in about an hour. The part was not under warranty, but has been operating flawlessly for about a year now. Dana and his staff have done all the yearly checkups on my car and I often recommend his service to others.

Description of Work
I brought my Subaru in for yearly checkup and a very noisy muffler. Also, I've been a regular Dana Meyer customer since I bought the car in 2001.

09/26/2013

Helene C.

Dana's is a clear and trustworthy shop that has helped me out a few times when I could not get to my regular mechanic, and he has done work for close friends,as well. He takes the time to explain what is wrong, and tries to solve the problem quickly and cheaply, if he can.You can trust the work he does!

Description of Work
Car maintenance.

12/31/2012

Robert M.

Our Subaru Outback wouldn't start, so we had the car towed to Dana Meyer's Auto Care, our regular auto-repair shop. They diagnosed a bad alternator and replaced it. But that unit soon failed and we repeated the process, replacing the replacement. Then this second replacement failed also. The chances of this happening twice seemed remote, but Alex, our point person at Dana's shop, theorized that they could have gotten a bad batch of re-manufactured alternators and said they would switch suppliers. They installed yet another replacement unit and this one was good. They stayed with this problem until it was solved and didn't charge us for the work it took to get it right, which is what I would have expected. But the main point here is that they stand by their work, and they are honest and fair. It's easy to be skeptical about auto repair shops, especially if you're not a mechanic, which I am emphatically not. How do you know if you're getting the straight scoop? The guys at Dana Meyer will outline potential scenarios for you at the outset of a repair, never claiming to know the truth ahead of time, always being careful to withhold conclusions until they've pinned something down. They are scrupulous about not doing repairs without your authorization and about giving you accurate estimates of when your car will be ready. They aren't the cheapest auto-repair shop in town, but their work is solid and you can trust them. Dana himself is an active member of the community (president of our middle-school PTA one year) and you can tell it's important to him. You feel like a part of the family at their business once they get to know you. They know your cars and they remember what they've worked on before, which can be important when diagnosing problems. We have three family cars and I go to Jiffy Lube for regular oil changes, but I take all of our cars to Dana for repairs. We're all on the lookout for car mechanics we can trust, and Dana and his crew are just the ticket. I'd recommend them without reservation.

Description of Work
Replacement of alternator.

03/17/2012

Aaron S.

I had just bought a used car and took it to Dana to have it checked out. He replaced a couple parts, advised getting new tires and told me that the head gasket has a slow leak which should be monitored. I had used Dana previously for a much older car. He was upfront about the cost of the repairs - what was absolutely necessary and what was not absolutely necessary but recommended. I appreciated his professionalism. I originally went to him because my neighbor recommended him. I think the labor rate is a bit expensive (hence the "B" grade), but I will go back to Dana Meyer in the future because my experiences have been positive and that isn't always an easy thing to say about a mechanic.

Description of Work
Replaced the front brake pads and the right inner tie rod end. Re-aligned.

01/08/2011

Gail G.

I met Dana at a volleyball game decades ago. I really liked the way he worked as a team player that I started taking my car to him and have been using him ever since.

Description of Work
I use Dana Meyer Auto Care for auto service. The last time I used them was late last year for a regular service.

Auto Service
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Radiators
    Auto Transmission
    Auto Tires
    MasterCard, Check, Visa

Come to our auto care shop for Japanese car repair, Volkswagen repair or American car repair including: * Scheduled Maintenance, including 30k, 60k, 90k factory recommended service, * Tune-Ups, * Auto Diagnostics, * Electrical Repair, * Brakes and Clutches, * Air Conditioning, * Engine Repair, * Suspensions, * Axles, * Cooling Systems, * Water Pumps, * Radiators, * Thermostats, * All Mechanical Repairs, * Nitrogen Tire