UNIVERSAL PAINTING & RESTORATION

Founded 1991 • With Angi since March 2007

OWNER-OPERATOR. SUPERVISOR ON SITE. NO SUBS. COST DETERMINED BY THE JOB. TRAVEL CHARGES MAY APPLY. NO HIDDEN COST....

A Service Provider's profile image

+26 more images

house painting (20)pressure washing (9)interior painting (5)woodworking (3)deck cleaning (3)gutter repair (2)tree service (1)roofing (1)

06/10/2022

Rich C.

Excellent work, very skilled workforce

Description of Work
Painting Exterior,Hardwood Flooring Installation and Chimney Repairs

Category pressure washing, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/10/2022

07/13/2015

LORA B.

I still had spots obviously not clean. And they pressure washed the paint off my back porch posts!!!! They were somewhat difficult to communicate with due to foreign accent. They did not accommodate my schedule. Therefore I was not able to be here when they assaulted my porch post.

Description of Work
pressure washed my house

Category deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 08/15/2014

This cutomer has us confused with another company. We have been in business for over 20 yrs. and pressure washing is one of the most basic things we do. There is no Lora Brown in my files.

12/09/2014

Iris Gail K.

I have a split level home with a walk-in attic above the upper floor (1950 Sq.Ft.) and a large garage. Two men pressured washed, scraped, applied primer, and painted ALL of this in 4 days! The house is white and the shutters and some other trim is black. All bad wood was picked up and carried away. NO paint was dripped or sprayed onto any surface it shouldn't have been. They moved items out of their way or covered them with plastic or painters canvas. Everything that had been moved and draped was returned. They took no breaks and were here on time or within the hour and worked until dusk every day. I could not have asked for a better job to be done. They and one other job I had done this year have restored my faith in hiring people. GREAT JOB! Thank you!

Description of Work
Pressure washed, replaced bad wood and painted my house and garage.

Category pressure washing, woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 12/01/2014

Thank you for your kind review. This really helps us to be the best we can be for our customers. Thank you again.

07/10/2014

James O.

Did a great job. Arrived and discussed what I wanted done then went right to work. Took their time and did exactly what they said they would do

Description of Work
power washed the house and porches

Category pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 03/30/2014

06/23/2014

Terry B.

Description of Work
They were way too expensive. I used a different supplier that was half the cost.

Work Completed On 02/10/2014

I have researched my records and I honestly cannot recall [member name removed]. All prices are set by Universal Painting based on cost of job and profit margin required to stay in business. All customers reserve the right to disagree with a price, but to place it as a bad review is malicious, unnecessary and a gross misrepresentation of customer service.

06/05/2014

Kenneth T.

Josh arrived promptly to work the proposal. The estimated amount of paint for the main sections of the home and the trim paint was overestimated by 20%, the quality of work was outstanding.. His team of painters did a great job cutting in the paint work throughout the project, they would arrive late in the morning and stay till mid afternoon each time for work. Josh oversaw the work being conducted by his team during the entire process. They are very friendly and they work very well with the customer to make things right. The job was estimated to take 1 week to complete prior to the end of April but took over 8 weeks to complete ending in the latter part of May, some of the delays were due to weather related conditions and other delays were created by the contractor due to other competing priorities. There were some minor damages that were made to the outside screens and divits in the roofing shingles mainly from the ladders, but the homeowner worked it out with the contractor to correct all the issues by the homeowner. Josh and his team are very professional, and do outstanding quality work. I recommend Universal for your painting needs, and if you have a large job to complete allow yourself more time as necessary to recieve the quality work as required.

Description of Work
Josh and his team provided exterior paint to the entire home. The house is 6000 sq ft, including painting the outside deck are of 900 sq ft.. The company also provided exterior cedar cap to the front entrance and around the garage area of the home, and front peak flashing with cedar as well. They painted all the eves under the roof with trim paint, as well as the garage doors. The work proposal was for labor only. The homeowner was responsible for all materials which included the estimated amount of paint, trim paint, and cedar material.

Work Completed On 04/07/2014

Review for UNIVERSAL PAINTING & RESTORATION - 6323 Maywick Dr NW, Huntsville, AL - 8453735

05/30/2014

Sherman W.

Description of Work
Painted outside trim, repaired rain gutters, cut a tree limb. Some paint on house brick, paint overspray on deck. They did try to clean it up and did a fair job.

Category gutter repair, tree service, deck cleaning, house painters

Work Completed On 05/06/2014

Thank you for your review.

05/23/2014

Stacey C.

Universal was VERY responsive to my request for a quote, which has proven to be an oddity with some of the other companies I have tried. They scheduled a time to come out and measure, and they were here on time. Additionally, in the weeks since, they have followed up with me a couple of times (the latest today) to make sure I knew they valued my business. I still haven't decided on a painting contractor for my house so I can't speak on the quality of the work, but Universal has treated me with a lot of respect. I definitely like that.

Description of Work
Provided a quote for painting the exterior of an entire house.

Work Completed On 05/23/2014

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such a positive way. It is greatly appreciated.

05/18/2014

Tonda S.

Nothing to tell. They never showed up or called. I called 2 weeks later and was told "I'm sorry, no one showed up?" Told them I was no longer interested, then received a follow up call about two weeks later.

Description of Work
Never showed up or call for the scheduled visit for a quote

Work Completed On 03/31/2014

This review was done with malicious intent. We never performed any services for (Member name removed). She was angry because we had to reschedule our appointment and she would not respond to our attempts to communicate. Please disregard this unfair review.

05/15/2014

Kathy D.

Description of Work
Exterior paint job. It went well, but they were a little sloppy and painted some windows shut which were difficult to open. But overall they were attentive.

Work Completed On 09/01/2013

Thank you.

05/14/2014

Susan L.

They had awesome customer service via phone.

Description of Work
They didn't actually perform any services.

Category interior painters

Work Completed On 05/14/2014

01/24/2014

Harriette B.

Work Completed On 01/06/2014

Thank You.

12/19/2013

Mary B.

All communications were handled via messaging on the Angie's List site. The appointment was set up per the customer's request. The customer was notified that the vendor would not be able to make the appointment and was assured they would be there the next day. Unfortunately, this appointment was also missed, but the vendor did show up on the next day and completed the job. The customer was not present when the work was done, but could tell immediately upon arrival home that the residence had been washed and was pleased with the results.

Description of Work
Pressure washed exterior of one-story residence.

Category pressure washing

Work Completed On 12/18/2013

07/29/2013

SRIRAM B.

The company was prompt and completed the work as per schedule. I had obtained two other estimates for the same job. While one of the quotations was slightly higher the other was more than 50% higher. Not having had any experience with any of them I chose the lowest quotation. After the exterior painting job was completed I asked him to clean up the deck and coat the surface with a waterproof paint for an additional charge of $200. The area of the deck was about 150 sq.ft. Even though the cleaning was good but the waterproofing was poor.

Description of Work
Exterior painting and fixed the broken wood work. Also cleaned the deck.

Category pressure washing, woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 11/12/2012

09/21/2012

Stephen C.

When I first contacted them I explained what I wanted and they sent Josh out for the estimate. He listened to my requirements as we walked around the house and wrote down what I wanted. Within a few days I was contacted about the estimate and received a confirmation email. I had forgotten to verify that the French doors were to be painted inside as well as the outside. I contacted to verify and was told that the estimate had only bee for the outside, I asked for a new estimate that included the inside. The next day I received an email with the official estimate attached. I contacted them authorizing the work and setting up a day for the work to begin. The recommended Wednesday instead of Tuesday due to the chance of bad weather. I didn't remember hearing anything about bad weather coming but agreed to Wednesday. If Universal ever decides to get out of Painting they should go into weather forecasting. Tuesday was a wash out and Wednesday was beautiful. The crew arrived exactly when I was told they would. My wife and I joked that they were probably sitting outside the door until it was 8:00 am to ring the bell. They did everything that we asked. The workmanship was superb. We feel that we received excellent value. Their bid was fair and they performed professionally. The crew was courteous and pleasant to work with. The Universal office staff was pleasant and went out of their way to make sure we had everything that we needed and all our questions were answered.

Description of Work
The job was to scrape, sand, prime and paint 2 large bay windows, 7 picture windows and two french doors.

Category house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/19/2012

09/13/2012

Barbara M.

Two days after I hired this company they were on the job. The first day they pressure washed the area including the back deck and front porch. They also repaired as needed all needed soffit boards. The second day they painted two coats of paint on needed areas. End of job. They worked with professionalism.

Description of Work
Pressure washed, necessary scraping of old paint, replaced one soffit, painted trim including window trim and columns on an all brick home + unattached garage, and calked & repaired all seams in gutters.

Category gutter repair, roofing, pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/05/2012

11/20/2011

Kathryn J.

These people were great! They showed up on time--or called if they were running a little late. They did a beautiful job, on time and w/in budget. They were polite, neat--did not smoke, curse or seem hungover--which seems to be the experience of most of my friends who have hired housepainters! They were very polite and pleasant to deal with. I HIGHLY recommend this company.

Description of Work
Prepped and painted exterior of our wooden house.

Category pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 08/16/2011

05/18/2011

Jason A.

This was my first project I used Angie's list for. I got 3 estimates using the companies that had "A" ratings and 1 from a person who was doing this on the side. The person working on the side was cheaper but he was not bonded or insured and I did not feel comfortable with this to save 200.00. This business was the cheapest when comparing the A listers on Angie's list and it was not even close. They were about 400.00 cheaper and this included staining the front door when I did not get a price from the other 2 companies since I thought their price was too high already. I even had a "family discount" from one of them because they were friends and a "angie's list coupon" with the other and they still were not close. I called this company to get an estimate and within 30 minutes he called back and came out that day to give me a price. The supervisor was extremely nice and went around the house with me to point out what needed to be done. (this was my first time getting my house painted - but I am knowledgable about home repairs - just did not want to get on a ladder to do it myself). The others did not bring me along which I did not like. This company started the work immediately after I accepted their bid. (One of the other companies said it could be 8 weeks). The supervisor who gave me the estimate was there the whole time so I felt comfortable leaving the house and not worrying about anything (I left one time for a meeting for a couple of hours with the doors and windows opened so they could paint). I never had to take off work to watch people paint which was very helpful. His workers were very nice and courteous. It took them about 4 days to finish (they lost a day due to rain) . At the end the supervisor walked around with me to inspect their job and would point out things that he saw (such as additional caulking, etc) and gave me the same opportunity. I think he would have stayed for as long as it took for me to be satisfied which was nice also (eventhough they did a good job initially) Overall this was a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone. I was a little nervous at first because I was afraid since they were so much cheaper I would not get as good of a job done. That was completely the opposite. Not only was it cheaper - but I just feel that he caught some things I did not see and fixed them without changing the price on me. Would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
I have 3/4 brick home - they did the 1/4, the trim, windows, shutters, gutters, stained front door, the front and back porches and chimney. They did some light repair work also (replaced a vent, power washed front and back porches, and some wood work on some rotted wood that the other people who looked at my house never brought up)

Work Completed On 05/12/2011

03/17/2011

Stephanie S.

I am very pleased with their work. They were great. I will call them again.

Description of Work
They pressure washed my house, cleaned the windows and painted areas that needed it. They also stained my front door.

Work Completed On 09/20/2010

09/24/2010

Frederick U.

The price was fair. I might use them in the future. They were good but I would still get other prices.

Description of Work
We used Universal Painting & Restoration to paint all the exterior trim. I have a brick house and they painted everything that was not brick. They also stained my deck.

Category deck cleaning, house painters

Work Completed On 08/17/2010

03/17/2010

John R.

They came out within a day or two of calling them and they were here when they said they would be. The price is high and quote was too much for me. So far my conversations with them have been good.

Description of Work
Universal Painting and Restoration gave me a quote for painting my house.

Work Completed On 03/12/2010

06/11/2007

ALEX F.

They came on time, and performed the work on time. The only complaint is a minor one, that there was a bit of splatter that we're cleaning up, on the floor, countertops. Nothing major, but a little annoying.

Description of Work
Interior painting of bathroom walls.

Category interior painters