We thought it would go well. However, when the company showed up last Friday, their digging equipment broke and they could not bury the fence wiring as needed. They left it out on the lawn and told my husband they would be back to bury it as soon as they could. First time either my husband and I heard back from them was yesterday (Tuesday) morning. I received a message on my cell phone stating that they planned on coming out Wednesday morning between 9:30 and 10:30 am to finish the job. I left them a message back saying that that was great, and that I had someone at the house when they came. I got another voicemail from them stating that they weren't sure about dealing with someone other than me, but they planned on being here at same time. I left them a message telling them that the time was fine, and I could be here. I did not hear back. I stayed home from work this morning and called them at 8 am to touch base. This time I was told that "they had jobs scheduled" and they'd have to play it by ear" and weren't sure if they could come out. My husband also called them to let them know he wasn't extremely happy about this. We paid $1600 for this job; it isn't finished, and I am sitting home from work waiting for someone who has decided that new installations are more important than finishing an existing job with problems that are their fault. We've had an exposed wire on our lawn for 6 days, but it seems that since the company got our money, we are no longer a priority. Very disappointed.