We purchased a new house and found ourselves dealing with an "all connect" service through one of the utilities. This service was helpful and they arranged for an authorized ADT dealer to reactivate the existing service. We were moving to a new city and it seemed a relieve to have someone arrange some of these things. When a representative from ADT contacted me I explained that we weren't decided on having an alarm system and we were concerned that it might be confusing to the elderly person in the household. I was assured that the company would come out to evaluate the condition of the existing system and explain how things work so we could make an informed decision prior to committing. The technician arrived within the appointment time frame but didn't seem interested in evaluating the current system. Immediately he announced that he was there to replace the existing (ADT) keypad. I informed him that we hadn't decided one way or the other yet and wanted him to show us how things would work in order to better determine if the ninety year old member of the household would be able to deal with it. He told us that he could do that but needed to see how things were set up first. The control panel in the basement was locked and the "key" the technician used to open the box was a screwdriver. This technique left the box door bent up and permanently unlocked. Seems like you would want the panel to be secure. He then proceeded to tell me that the new keypad he was going to install wasn't compatible with the existing sensors. We hesitantly agreed to have him install the new equipment at a cost of 2,079.00. Having just moved I had things to do and didn't watch the installation. When things were done we were left with 4 smoke detectors right next to the existing detectors (see pictures) which the technician said he couldn't remove because it wasn't theirs, We were supposed to have 3 new keypads installed but instead 2 new ones were installed and we were left with a large hole were a keypad was removed and not replaced ( see picture). I didn't notice until he had left . The contract we signed allowed only 3 days to cancel, had to be in writing and sent to Colorado. The next morning we decided to cancel and paid nearly $40 to send the form overnight. This same contract stated that money would be returned within 10 days of their receiving the notice and that the installed equipment must be made available for collection. They had 20 days to do so or we could keep or dispose of the equipment. Twenty -eight days later we had not been refunded the money and nobody contacted us to remove the installed equipment. I called the company to find out why the money hadn't been returned and was told that I had to return the equipment before my money would be returned. I explained that according to the contract they were past the 10 days to return my money and we were past the 20 days in which I was obligated to give them access to the installed property. Everybody that I have spoken with at ACE has told me that "It doesn't work that way. You must return the equipment before they will cut me a check.". During the first call I was pressured into setting up a time to allow them access to the equipment. The person I spoke with wouldn't put my call through to someone who would discuss my immediate refund until I gave him a day for the technician to stop by to collect things. I gave them a day that would work provided I had my refund by then. The person I was connected with turned out not to have any authority and she was going to have corporate contact me. No call back. Nobody has asked why I cancelled the service or apologized for the delay in refunding the $2000. My requests to speak to management have gone unanswered until today when I left a message that there will be a small claims case filed tomorrow. Rob, form the cooperate company ASC Security USA in Riverside CA returned that call within several minutes but did nothing but repeat the company line that the equipment must be returned before my money would be refunded. I asked for an explanation as to how they could be over the time limits as outlined in the contract but still not return the money and insist that the equipment be returned first. I was told that I had agreed to return thing and didn't follow through. When I started to explain that the appointment was made on a condition that the refund came first Rob told me he wasn't going to argue with me. My sense is that if I hadn't expressed mailed the cancellation to get there in the 3 day timeframe I would be locked into a 3 year contract with no recourse. Don't know how they justify not following their obligations under the contract. I'll be going to the courthouse tomorrow to file a small claims case for the first time!