Frustrated and Exhausted We had a very frustrating experience with JRV. Josh (owner) lacks the ability to communicate. And the foreman (Dave) lacks common sense. I would never recommend them for another job. JRV came highly recommended on Facebook. Here is the timeline of our experience. Early August – JRV came and completed an estimate for a metal roof tear-off to be replaced by a rubber roof. I told Josh that I wanted any questionable wood replaced and to factor that into the cost. The roof acts as a 2nd floor porch and so he offered, if I had the railings purchased, he would install them. I did not want to compromise the new roof and would rather put that burden on them, so I made sure that this would happen. Mid September – Finally got around to scheduling JVR to complete work due to family vacations and school starting. Mid October – Due to weather, the foreman (Dave) and crew came on a Monday to start what was stated as a “2 day job.” By the time I got home from work, the tear-off was complete and the rubber install was already happening. I asked if they found any rot to which I was told (surprisingly) all wood was great. The house is 100 years old and we had water coming through the roof on more than one occasion. After the workers left on Monday, I went up to inspect. I was incredibly shocked. I found two areas where the roof sank when you stepped on it. I was dumbfounded by the fact that there were 2 screws left in the roof and simply covered up with the rubber but were obviously sticking up. In two different areas, the rubber was not pulled tight over the edge of the roof causing it to bubble and potential trap water. I immediately called Josh and he said he would come look the next day. By the time I came home the next day, the roof was peeled up and my issues were being addressed…somewhat. I was still told that the wood underneath was not rot. I still have never seen what was under the roof. On Wednesday, new gutters were installed and the roof was finished. Then came the railing. Again, Josh offered to install if it was there. I measured the existing railing and made sure to have a similar one of equal size purchased from Home Depot. It was a black metal railing typical of these homes. After watching Dave struggle for two days, I went to assist him on Friday afternoon when I got home from work. He was using a cordless drill obviously set too high. He had stripped multiple connectors to the point they were useless. I had only purchased enough so needless to say we were short. At 4:30 Dave runs to Home Depot. At this point Josh and I talk via phone. Again, I still haven’t seen Josh all week. Josh is sorry about how the week went and feels horrible for taking so long so he is knocking $500 off the cost. I responded that I was concerned about the price but more with the want of a quality roof. I also brought up my new concerns with Dave and how he was stripping pieces and now scratching the **** out of the new gutters with a crappy old ladder, common sense sort of stuff. Also, when he connected the railing pieces, he put the nuts to face out, cosmetic but still something you would expect to be handled properly. Josh said they would touch up the paint and talk to Dave. As we ate dinner, I heard David come back and then he was gone. I went up to the roof to find my railing standing but a mess of nails, screws, bags and cut pieces of rubber. There was no clean up whatsoever. When I grabbed onto the railing I was shocked again. The base of one of the railings lifted up when pressure was applied to the railing. It appeared that the base was screwed into nothing. This created two concerns. First the strength of the railing and second the integrity of the roof. A week later after finally cooling down, I sent Josh a video that unfortunately Angie’s List cannot post. His response was a text, “I will come look at it tomorrow.” When I got home from work the next day, I did notice the gutters were touched up but there was no change in the railing. So I was confused. And then nothing….for a month. Until I got a “passed due” bill in the mail. Mid November - We called Josh and had a lengthy argument about the lack of communication, about how we never knew he even came to address the issue, about how the screws used for the railing were bought with his hard earned money, about how the roof was our problem now because what was he supposed to do about it, about how he didn’t know he wasn’t going to get paid…..among other things. I told Josh I just wanted to feel like the job was completed, to which I still believe it is not. I am just curious, if this was his roof, would he feel the same? After a few days Josh’s and our tempers cooled. We had a more productive discussion (I thought) about me paying him and he coming back out to look at it. I cut him a check before Thanksgiving and I told him whenever his schedule permitted he was more than welcome to come look. Fast forward to April – I reached out to Josh wondering if and when he would be able to come look at it. He stated he was waiting for me to contact him and he would come next week. May – Josh messaged me saying he was behind and would get to it soon. June – I messaged Josh telling him I am home for the summer. He responded he would come next week. He was trying to coordinate schedules with Dave. End of July – I am done with JRV roofing. I will fix it myself.